Swearing

Off-topic discussion.
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Swearing

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Kep wrote:
Turtwig wrote:So obviously you guys don't seem to like censorship over text in a serious way, but what about when it's meant to be funny?
How can censorship be funny?

I'm sorry but that may or may not be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Sorry best video for this scene I could find
Last edited by JupiHornet on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:26 pm

My main question is, why do people start attacking somebody just for censoring their swear? Some people just don't want it in their records. And if censoring is so bad, why do they use it on TV?

Egg
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Egg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Praesidium wrote:My main question is, why do people start attacking somebody just for censoring their swear? Some people just don't want it in their records. And if censoring is so bad, why do they use it on TV?
because its fucking pointless, if you dont like the word then dont fucking write it

I believe in Super Mario as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

TangledLion
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby TangledLion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:34 pm

@8-Bit my personal reasons depend on the swear, My reason for not using the F-bomb is because it refers to a action that, in my opinion, should be private(I'm Beating around the bush in case of 11 year olds seeing this) As I say, It's a matter of personal Principal. Here is my opinion on forum related swearing:

1. It is up to the users weather or not they swear if it is allowed
2.It is up to the Admins to choose weather to Prohibit, Censor, or completely allow swearing.
Magibowser wrote:
Praesidium wrote:My main question is, why do people start attacking somebody just for censoring their swear? Some people just don't want it in their records. And if censoring is so bad, why do they use it on TV?
because its f***ing pointless, if you dont like the word then dont f***ing write it
Actually they only censor swears on reality shows, and only 60% of those have scripts...
I'll be honest, I'm not sure If I'm gonna come back here...

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Praesidium wrote:My main question is, why do people start attacking somebody just for censoring their swear?
He was asked not attacked.

Also Joey ain't adding one anyway stuff like that aren't his problems.

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Adding what?

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Praesidium wrote:Adding what?
Swearing filter, censoring it out etc
TangledLion wrote:@8-Bit my personal reasons depend on the swear, My reason for not using the F-bomb is because it refers to a action that, in my opinion, should be private(I'm Beating around the bush in case of 11 year olds seeing this).
MyNameIsEric52 is 10 and uses words like fuck, bitch. And he didn't got those from us. Some younger kids hear that in their school or from other kids, people hell even at home so it won't matter here.

BMatSantos
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Mario Mega Mapset

Postby BMatSantos » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Swearing never bothered me anyway. Sometimes I even let it escape one word or other. In fact, if a swearing is used in a certain tone, I may start laughing.
Bomber57 wrote:Explain to me how someone can see tone and body language WHEN THEY ARE READING WORDS ON A SCREEN..
I guess with these types of TEXT formatting right here.
Super Mario MEGA Tileset

"O frio e o calor, os dois têm grau. Por eles juntos é natural!"
"The hot and the cold are both so intense. Put'em together — it just makes sense!"

I support:
Spoiler: show
Also known as BMSantos, BMSaints, BMat, or whatever.

A LINK TO THE OTHERS

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

TangledLion
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby TangledLion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:13 pm

[quote="CaptainSyrup"
TangledLion wrote:@8-Bit my personal reasons depend on the swear, My reason for not using the F-bomb is because it refers to a action that, in my opinion, should be private(I'm Beating around the bush in case of 11 year olds seeing this).
MyNameIsEric52 is 10 and uses words like fuck, bitch. And he didn't got those from us. Some younger kids hear that in their school or from other kids, people hell even at home so it won't matter here.[/quote]
1. I was referring to what it means
2. I'm just trying to make sure nobody learns from ME..
I'll be honest, I'm not sure If I'm gonna come back here...

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:22 pm

TangledLion wrote:2. I'm just trying to make sure nobody learns from ME..
If nobody on this forum knows the word "fuck" then god help us all.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Personally, I don't give a fuck about swearing. Like 8bit said, they're just words and it's very difficult to express with the same kind of intensity as swearing indicates without swearing, if you follow. Of course, overusing curses is just silly, it ruins the whole point of it. I curse for emphasis. I find it hard to take people who curse constantly seriously, and it makes it very hard to tell when they actually care about something.

Also, Praesidium, Bomber's right you know, you can't tell someone's intent very easily in writing unless they indicate it somehow. It is really irritating when someone takes something back like that, like "I was only joking". I feel like this image is relevant:
Spoiler: show
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Praesidium wrote:My main question is, why do people start attacking somebody just for censoring their swear? Some people just don't want it in their records.
It's just as immature as using swears when going on a tirade.
Praesidium wrote:And if censoring is so bad, why do they use it on TV?
TV isn't exactly a pillar of good morality.

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Fair enough. You have your beliefs and I have mine. A few of my peers (mostly younger ones) aren't going to change anything, and I'm sure I'm not swaying anyone either.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:36 pm

BMatSantos wrote:Swearing never bothered me anyway. Sometimes I even let it escape one word or other. In fact, if a swearing is used in a certain tone, I may start laughing.
Bomber57 wrote:Explain to me how someone can see tone and body language WHEN THEY ARE READING WORDS ON A SCREEN..
THEN FUCKING USE THEM
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

~<3 TNT

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Mivixion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:37 pm

Bomber57 wrote:
BMatSantos wrote:Swearing never bothered me anyway. Sometimes I even let it escape one word or other. In fact, if a swearing is used in a certain tone, I may start laughing.
THEN FUCKING USE THEM
Why are you getting so mad?

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:15 pm

I see using BBcodes on text works pretty well judging from Bomber57.

Anyways, let's get back on topic.

It's fine if you don't like swearing, just be aware you likely won't be catered to later in life. People will curse whether you like it or not.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Postby Kyo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Censored and uncensored swears have no different meanings at all, therefore there is no point in censoring them.

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 pm

The main issue with censoring swears is that /everyone/ knows that f*** means fuck and s*** means shit, making it pointless and just making your posts akward to read.
Last edited by MistakesWereMade on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Kyo wrote:Censored and uncensored swears have no different meanings at all, therefore there is no point in censoring them.
Some people feel more comfortable censoring the words than saying them out loud, though you are right.
I personally use acronyms like "wtf" since the Internet is over text and wtf is text language so people don't suspect anything.
This is more on live chat though :P
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:14 pm

How did I sleep through this thread. I wanted to participate in it. :(

Anyways, yeah I swear a lot. Big fucking deal. It's not like it's bad, seriously. Swearing is becoming such an everyday thing for literally everyone. I make no sense why we hide it. I mean, I used to swear when I was 9.
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Hi Yuki

Return to “Sandbox”