The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

This is the place for video games!
User avatar
PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Posts: 1800
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Murphmario wrote:The Copper Shortsword in Terraria. It sucks against anything that isn't grounded and does 5 damage. Comparativly, the Wooden Sword, a weapon that you can get very quickly after starting the game, does 7 damage and is more useful against both grounded and flying foes. The other shortswords aren't much better, as all of them have the same flaws as the Copper Shortsword.

Also Poison Mushrooms. They hurt you. That's all that needs to be said.
Poison mushrooms aren't supposed to be an item... I think they count as enemies or as something for trick you
Image

Image

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Posts: 6206
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him
Contact:

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Murphmario wrote:The Copper Shortsword in Terraria. It sucks against anything that isn't grounded and does 5 damage. Comparativly, the Wooden Sword, a weapon that you can get very quickly after starting the game, does 7 damage and is more useful against both grounded and flying foes. The other shortswords aren't much better, as all of them have the same flaws as the Copper Shortsword.

Also Poison Mushrooms. They hurt you. That's all that needs to be said.
Poison mushrooms aren't supposed to be an item... I think they count as enemies or as something for trick you
Poison mushrooms are items in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door & Super Paper Mario. They're kinda troll-ish items imo
Mario RPG Goals (62% of them Done)
Image Image
Best Quotes: show
8bitmushroom wrote: No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote: That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD, big whoop! Wanna fight about it?

User avatar
8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 am
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby 8lue Storm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Dangerous Delight, Super Paper Mario.
Made from a Poison Mushroom, this recipe inverts your controls, makes you inable to jump, blocks your abilities and slows you down. And worst of all:
THIS RECIPE IS *REQUIRED* TO 100%ing THE GAME.
If you want to sell it, it's okay. You shall only gain 3 coins.
my stuff is rather ok
event tokens
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image World Map Contest 2020

User avatar
PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Posts: 1800
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm

In Super Paper Mario they are more like the item you'll never use

Also Rotten meat, 1000 years egg, moldy bread in Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, unlike Dawn of Sorrow you don't have an ability which lets you eat rotten food, in Dawn of Sorrow they give you the ghoul soul which lets you eat rotten food but In PoR they are like inventory fillers
Image

Image

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Posts: 6206
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him
Contact:

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:23 pm

8lue Storm wrote:Dangerous Delight, Super Paper Mario.
Made from a Poison Mushroom, this recipe inverts your controls, makes you inable to jump, blocks your abilities and slows you down. And worst of all:
THIS RECIPE IS *REQUIRED* TO 100%ing THE GAME.
If you want to sell it, it's okay. You shall only gain 3 coins.
This crap item is required for 100%?!? Well, it doesn't even matter for me... As trying a 100% run of Super Paper Mario isn't part of my goals in the Mario RPGs... Yet
Mario RPG Goals (62% of them Done)
Image Image
Best Quotes: show
8bitmushroom wrote: No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote: That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD, big whoop! Wanna fight about it?

User avatar
8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 am
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby 8lue Storm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
8lue Storm wrote:Dangerous Delight, Super Paper Mario.
Made from a Poison Mushroom, this recipe inverts your controls, makes you inable to jump, blocks your abilities and slows you down. And worst of all:
THIS RECIPE IS *REQUIRED* TO 100%ing THE GAME.
If you want to sell it, it's okay. You shall only gain 3 coins.
This crap item is required for 100%?!? Well, it doesn't even matter for me... As trying a 100% run of Super Paper Mario isn't part of my goals in the Mario RPGs... Yet
Nice goals you have there. I've been trying to 100% this game for a while, now. The only thing I am the closest to 100%ing are the maps. The only one I didn't do was one in 5-3, the Floro Sapiens Caverns. That level is a freaking MAZE! I keep returning to the same room again and again.
By 100%ing I mean getting all recipes, all cards, all maps, all chapters (duh).
Also, did you know about Trial Stew? It leaves the player with 1 HP and gives him 1000 points for every HP lost. Meaning: if you have 50HP, you'll gain 49000 points by ating it, but you'll be left with 1 HP.
my stuff is rather ok
event tokens
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image World Map Contest 2020

User avatar
8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 am
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby 8lue Storm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:44 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:In Super Paper Mario they are more like the item you'll never use
Yes but there are also Dried Shrooms.
Restores 1HP only and appears everywhere.
And Also Mistake.
Restores 1HP and is given to you when you make a recipe that doesn't exist.
my stuff is rather ok
event tokens
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image World Map Contest 2020

Unidentified
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:33 am

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby Unidentified » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:53 pm

When you are poisoned but you don't want to use a good healing item a dried shroom can help here. However that is the only use for this item

User avatar
thunderlakitu
Blooper
Blooper
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 am

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby thunderlakitu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Crates that you can only open with keys that you only can get with real life money.

User avatar
The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:17 am
Pronouns: they/them

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Anything that can only be bought with real money IMO. It's okay if it's an 'optional extra', like an item that allows you to progress a bit faster, or makes it a bit easier, or just things like reskins/retextures. What I personally hate is if it gives a large or unfair advantage, or if the game is painfully slow to progress if you don't buy them.
I support: show
Image
Image
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
Spoiler: show
rockythechao wrote:Image

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Posts: 6206
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him
Contact:

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 am

The Dwarven Digger wrote:Anything that can only be bought with real money IMO. It's okay if it's an 'optional extra', like an item that allows you to progress a bit faster, or makes it a bit easier, or just things like reskins/retextures. What I personally hate is if it gives a large or unfair advantage, or if the game is painfully slow to progress if you don't buy them.
True dat! That's why I avoid freaking Clash of Clans
Mario RPG Goals (62% of them Done)
Image Image
Best Quotes: show
8bitmushroom wrote: No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote: That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD, big whoop! Wanna fight about it?

Unidentified
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:33 am

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby Unidentified » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 am

I am not entirely sure if this counts for reasons I will state later in this post, but here it is.

Final Fantasy VI has a shield called cursed shield. It is the worst shield in the game. Has no defense boosts that a shield should have and instead it lowers several stats. As well as this, the user becomes weak to most elements. Finally the shield gives these status ailments on the wearer:
Sap: Gradually lose HP
Confusion: Randomly attacks party
Berserk: Only uses normal attacks
Silence: Cannot use magic
Doom: Sets a counter. If this counter reaches zero, the one affected by it instantly dies.

However, it has one redeeming quality. Winning 256 battles with the shield equipped on any character other than Gogo turns the cursed shield into the paladin's shield, which is easily the best shield in the game. It has the second highest defense of all shields, and it absorbs half elements and makes the user immune to the other half. As well as this, it teaches Ultima, the best offensive spell in the game.

Note: If the user is KO'd, petrified or a zombie in the end of the fight it won't count towards dispelling the curse

User avatar
PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Posts: 1800
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:I am not entirely sure if this counts for reasons I will state later in this post, but here it is.

Final Fantasy VI has a shield called cursed shield. It is the worst shield in the game. Has no defense boosts that a shield should have and instead it lowers several stats. As well as this, the user becomes weak to most elements. Finally the shield gives these status ailments on the wearer:
Sap: Gradually lose HP
Confusion: Randomly attacks party
Berserk: Only uses normal attacks
Silence: Cannot use magic
Doom: Sets a counter. If this counter reaches zero, the one affected by it instantly dies.

However, it has one redeeming quality. Winning 256 battles with the shield equipped on any character other than Gogo turns the cursed shield into the paladin's shield, which is easily the best shield in the game. It has the second highest defense of all shields, and it absorbs half elements and makes the user immune to the other half. As well as this, it teaches Ultima, the best offensive spell in the game.

Note: If the user is KO'd, petrified or a zombie in the end of the fight it won't count towards dispelling the curse
I think it counts as a crappy item. This is the same case of the Poison Mushroom from Paper Mario, you need it to 100% the game
Image

Image

User avatar
KlickyMario321+
Bit
Bit
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:22 am
Flair: Everyone's Favorite Playmobil Fan
Pronouns: they/them

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby KlickyMario321+ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:38 pm

The Blue Spiny Shell from the Mario Kart series.

What a pain. What was I even thinking trying to dodge that shell with bananas? It's just a death trap sprung by Bowser in order to get me to lose. Do you agree?

By the way in Mario Kart 8, you can stop a blue shell with a Super Horn, but even that item is SUPER rare to get when you're in first place. You might actually get blown up by that blue shell and sent onto last place before even getting the item and after that, you might never be able to catch up and might have to sock the whole race.
:idea: KlickyMario321+ :idea:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: One day, we can make the video game world a better place! If you want to make it a better place too, place this in your signature.

I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image

User avatar
Gabriel_Gamer
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:39 am
Flair: Making Brazilian projects for SMBX
Contact:

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby Gabriel_Gamer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 am

Image
Cursed Eye in The Binding of Isaac, just... why
Nintendo Network ID Wii U : biel586
Meu canal do Youtube/ My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDkep ... gsm5f_HnaA

I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image

User avatar
FutureNyanCat2014
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 pm
Flair: The robotic kitty aka. Jaden1291 the Toad / Hex!
Pronouns: He/Him
Contact:

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby FutureNyanCat2014 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Easily the worst item in a video game could be the Dictionary from Super Cat Tales 2. It's an expensive 4000 coins, and is required for you to talk to King Roka in World 6-Village: Maguma Bastion in order for you to gain access to the endgame. And when combined with the Magic Flute, which is a lot tamer (but still costs 4000 coins), that'll be instant grinding heck for a pointless item that only serves to translate the languages of an entire village - ONLY ONE, and to grant you access to the final levels of World 6 and World 7. The flute is needed to wake up Brutus and progress beyond World 6-7, which makes it even worse if you haven't obtained the flute prior to that.
Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image
Image
"F*ck you Einstein! Let's make a level with water + lava!" ~FutureNyanCat2014, 05/05/14
FutureNyanCat: Big Fan of Valtteri Since 2021

Other Stuff
Discord: Hexelectron#9736
Super Cat Wars Discord Server: https://discord.gg/esC6dH2

User avatar
Krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: When I'm away from you, I'm happier than ever..
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Contact:

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby Krakin » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:06 pm

I think it's a close tie between Stay Strong Stones annd Wait Less Stones in Pokemon Quest
things: show

Get it, Let it roll!

Image
My Switch friend code: SW-1004-3051-8456
My favorite Pokemon from each type: ImageImage
(Eureka02) New YT:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPpwBM ... g/featured
(jaymcantgame) Older YT: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChicaMario64/featured
www.listography.com/1888422778
selective mutism is a nuisance

User avatar
Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby Murphmario » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 am

Gonna update my pick since Copper Shortsword's since been buffed and is now aimable. Since Zero's Buster and the Sleep Copy Ability were brought up, I'm going to say that Spark Shot from Mega Man 3 is terrible. It's supposed to stun enemies, but there are two major problems with this.
1. If an enemy moves into the space where an enemy is stunned, then the enemy you previously stunned gets unstunned and starts attacking you again.
2. There aren't really that many places you'd need such a weapon in Mega Man 3 in my opinion.
3. You can't damage enemies (asides from bosses, but even then Magnet Man's pretty easy with the standard Mega Buster) with it since it does no damage and you can't even pause and switch to a different weapon.

Yeah, Top Spin is really good compared to Spark Shot. Don't use it unless it's a boss weakness.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
Dragon0307
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:21 am
Flair: Faux Affably Evil
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby Dragon0307 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm

HMs in Pokemon, because you can't forget them and all of them except maybe Fly, Surf, Dive, Rock Climb and Waterfall are pretty bad. I like the idea of making your Pokemon remove obstacles, but at the very least you should be able to forget them if the area you are in doesn't require them for progression. In fact, I hope the Diamond and Pearl remakes drop them completely in favour of something similar to the Let's Go games where your partner does the thing for you instead.

Having recently beaten Platinum, I'm going to say HM05 Defog from Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum is the absolute worst of them all because unlike the other HM moves instead of dealing damage it lowers evasiveness. Also, since it is a HM so it can't be forgotten until Canalave City and even then it leaves you with an empty moveslot. In fact, you can ignore it completely and just suffer your way through areas that are required for it; the only place I can think of where its absolutely necessary is an optional side dungeon that requires it to get a Spell Tag.

In fact I'd say Flash, which was a HM in generation 1, could be ignored if you like to suffer and also doesn't deal damage, is slightly better because it lowers accuracy; a move that has a more apparent effect. I guess it could be useful for clearing entry hazards and Barry's Staraptor constantly spamming Double Team (which can be curbed with something like Swift or Shock Wave), but everywhere else it is practically useless.
If you are still running Windows 7, your security is at stake. And no, Antivirus is not enough. Switch to Linux!™

This ForumPost® is the intellectual property (IP) of Kamekverse LTD. All rights reserved.
UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS VIABLE FOR CRIMINAL CHARGES ON THE GROUNDS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
ForumPost® is a registered patent of Kamekverse LTD.
Spoiler: show
THIS SPACE IS FOR RENT


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests