Nintendo "Cracking Down" on Speedrunners and Rom-Hacks

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Nintendo "Cracking Down" on Speedrunners and Rom-Hacks

Postby XerX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:25 pm

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-s-c ... 0152.phtml
Speedrunner PangaeaPanga was the creator of the popular “Hardest Super Mario World Level Ever” video, which had amassed over a million views while it was up. He also regularly uploaded speedruns, many of which were tool-assisted and so required the use of a ROM and emulator to play. In his own words, his entire channel has been “wrecked” by Nintendo, which has taken down multiple videos of his.

Nintendo also sent PangaeaPanga an email, explaining that it believes it owns the exclusive rights to playing its games in a public space like YouTube:

We wish to inform you that the videos in question infringe Nintendo's copyrights. As the owner of the copyright in the games: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario World, and Pokémon, Nintendo has the exclusive right to perform the games publicly or to make derivative works based on the games. By making a derivative work using Nintendo's IP, and then displaying Nintendo's IP on your YouTube channel, you have violated Nintendo's exclusive rights.

Nintendo understands that its fans are the reason for its success, and we are always happy to see people share their passion for Nintendo's games. At the same time, Nintendo's intellectual property constitutes its most valuable assets, and the unauthorized use of these assets jeopardizes Nintendo's rights. Because of this, we ask that you please remove the video in question from your channel, and confirm that you will not post any videos using unauthorized software or copies of games, distribute or continue work on the modification, or take any other steps that would infringe Nintendo's rights.

Nintendo encourages fan engagement on YouTube through the Nintendo Creators Program. Under the program, participants are granted a license to use Nintendo’s characters, games, and other intellectual property, subject to the Code of Conduct included with the agreement. However, please note that this Code of Conduct prohibits you, among other things, from posting any content using unauthorized software or copies of games. This includes videos featuring tool-assisted speedruns, which require making a copy of a game's ROM file, and running the copied ROM through an emulator. If you are interested in learning more about the Nintendo Creators Program, please see: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Anti-Piracy Team
Thanks to Youtube's obscure rights policy, Nintendo has decided to take it upon themselves to start taking down any Youtube video that "may contain pirated or misused IP's" (which is like, most of them.) What are your thoughts on this?

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind
Current Project: People will only care about certain facts just as long as they backup their own beliefs.
Chat Username: Hello#3856

Re: Nintendo "Cracking Down" on Speedrunners and Rom-Hacks

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Rest In Peace every single TAS video ever made and over half of the entire speedrunning community
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.
Spoiler: show
Mivixion wrote:We don't cater to the minority.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
DarkMatt wrote:You were off being a shitposter so I didn't bother.
AeroMatter wrote:4/17/2015 - The day an /a/ meme caused conflict in SMBX.
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> vinyl tbch cause we need more people like you
<Vinyl> NEET Shitposters?
<AeroMatter> yes

:^)

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/a troll

Postby h2643 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:42 pm

I know that they're big money whores, but I think this is just way too much. Like what's the point in taking down their videos for no reason at all. You (Nintendo) don't get any money for that, you just take their videos because you don't wany anyone to look at them? I don't see any other 'legit' reason behind this.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:43 pm

I'd say how ridiculous "performing a video game" is, but I have to go practice an hour of Crash Bandicoot before my Playstation lessons tomorrow.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Pizza
Current Project: None as of now.

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Rip speedruns

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:49 pm

I'd say just take away their monetization ability on YT and then call it free advertising, and for future videos just require an in-video segment at the beginning and end of the video advertising Nintendo. Tbh they should crack on the piracy sites distributing the ROMs, and emulators since there's no legal gray area there and nobody but pirates would mind.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:04 pm

It's gonna be SMBX all over again ;A;
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:51 pm

I honestly fail to see how you could make any sizable sum of money by doing this.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:55 pm

I've gotten copyright notices on my videos from Nintendo. However they said they wouldn't take my videos down, but ads might appear on them. Why don't they do that instead of being selfish as hell?

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:I've gotten copyright notices on my videos from Nintendo. However they said they wouldn't take my videos down, but ads might appear on them. Why don't they do that instead of being selfish as hell?
IKR Same thing with them shuting down SMBX.
They should have hired Redigit instead of making him remove all
SMBX related-content!

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:14 pm

SuperMario12345 wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:I've gotten copyright notices on my videos from Nintendo. However they said they wouldn't take my videos down, but ads might appear on them. Why don't they do that instead of being selfish as hell?
IKR Same thing with them shuting down SMBX.
They should have hired Redigit instead of making him remove all
SMBX related-content!
Yeah and so should the thousands of others who have also made Mario fangames.

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: learning C through PSP game programming

Postby Axiom » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Azuritereaction got hit too. It really sucks and is probably one of the dumbest things to ever happen to YouTube

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 am

This is such massive bullshit, it's not even helping Nintendo in the long run. I understand that they have to protect their copyrights or whatever but this is just stupid.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

Ecruteak
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: It's been...
Current Project: figuring out where pee is stored
Chat Username: phony calls

Postby Ecruteak » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:43 am

Is this talking about anything using uncredited Nintendo characters? Because I have a (highly-unfinished) Link's Awakening playthrough that I've been doing, but in every video, I've credited Nintendo.

Even though I shouldn't be worried, since my channel is far from being almost popular. But I'm still a little worried.
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.
Accounts
YouTube
Wattpad
Twitch
DeviantART
SMW Central (I'm not really active on this one)
AKA BombOS/ShyGuyOfMoonside/ShyGuyXP/ShyGuy37

Xes Lana
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Xes Lana » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:28 am

Might be because of Super Mario Maker is being released; I wouldn't be surprised if they seen romhacking and the whole community as a threat to that games success. SMM vs LM/SMBX/etc -- Or more accurately than success would be, "This could save us $2,000 so let's take 'em down"... IDK it's the only way I can make any *semi* logical sense from their decisions.

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: Discord: Benkyo#3458

Postby reghrhre » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:12 am

Not Good stuff

Zonnepoes
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Nothing at all.

Postby Zonnepoes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:13 am

This is really one of the worst things Nintendo has done to the fans. Why taking them down? They are meant to entertain the viewer and learn them to do cool stuff too. If they do one more stupid move, i promise i will get rid of my Nintendo stuff.
Don't click if you dare! (bad box)

Also known on those websites as:
smwcentral:http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=25353
raocow's talkhaus:http://talkhaus.raocow.com/memberlist.p ... le&u=98499

Keep in mind that i am not a very active SMBX poster anymore. The game is still pretty awesome, but i decided to post a little more on SMWCentral.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:22 am

Zonnepoes wrote:This is really one of the worst things Nintendo has done to the fans. Why taking them down? They are meant to entertain the viewer and learn them to do cool stuff too. If they do one more stupid move, i promise i will get rid of my Nintendo stuff.
You getting rid of your Nintendo stuff won't help anybody.
im a girl yo

Zonnepoes
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Nothing at all.

Postby Zonnepoes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:24 am

Spinda wrote:
Zonnepoes wrote:This is really one of the worst things Nintendo has done to the fans. Why taking them down? They are meant to entertain the viewer and learn them to do cool stuff too. If they do one more stupid move, i promise i will get rid of my Nintendo stuff.
You getting rid of your Nintendo stuff won't help anybody.
I know, but i don't like it anymore when they do those stupid things to us.
Don't click if you dare! (bad box)

Also known on those websites as:
smwcentral:http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=25353
raocow's talkhaus:http://talkhaus.raocow.com/memberlist.p ... le&u=98499

Keep in mind that i am not a very active SMBX poster anymore. The game is still pretty awesome, but i decided to post a little more on SMWCentral.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:00 am

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEGVGqJEeCo

My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!