Super Mario Run

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3433
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar
Contact:

Super Mario Run

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:17 am

Why isn't there a topic on this yet...?

Anyway, Super Mario Run is an upcoming game set for December of this year for iOS, and an Android release is set for 2017. In this game, Mario's constantly running and you have to tap the screen in order to make him jump, and tapping longer will make him jump higher. There will be four modes available, playing the courses already there, making your own courses, playing others' courses, and "Toad Rally" which is essentially a time trial mode. Playing the courses will allow Mario to collect coins, which will allow the player to build their own courses.

To be honest, I feel as though this game is way overhyped, especially considering its reveal tied in with the iPhone 7, especially considering it's just another automatic runner like many of them out there. What do you guys think?
Last edited by HeroLinik on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Mable
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5838
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Mable » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 am

"Mario constantly runs"
"Tap to make him jump"
"Collect coins"


You know this sounds like a certain game i play...

Image

The only two differences i see, is the course building(because you can never have enough mario creation games) and the time trial toad thing. The rest is pretty much like Temple Run and it's dozens of clones.

Damn, Nintendo what happened to you?? Did you run out of ideas?

Hype will die as fast as it died for Pokemon Go.. after some time you get bored of it anyway.

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5057
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 am

I wish I could play it on my phone, but my cheap steak dad refuse to let me upgrade my phone! And I could never get an new phone thanks to the shitty data plan my dad put me & my family in. :cry:

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Radiance » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:07 am

Super Mario Run will be released on 2017 in Android fyi.

User avatar
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5542
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Current Project: ???

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 am

I'm not exactly the first to defend Nintendo these days, but this game looks kinda cool. It might be a little dumbed down compared to a true Mario platformer, but there's not a whole lot you can do about that on a device with no buttons and still retain good control. This game is not actually an endless runner - it is an automatic runner, but there are distinct pre-designed levels in the game that have endings. Along with the game having a level editor, that makes it look a lot better to me than something like Temple Run, which has a randomly generated, endless design and only 3 or 4 types of obstacles.

It's not going to be a great game or anything, but it's probably going to be a good mobile game and a good introduction for Nintendo into the mobile market.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am
Current Project: idk lol

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:I'm not exactly the first to defend Nintendo these days, but this game looks kinda cool. It might be a little dumbed down compared to a true Mario platformer, but there's not a whole lot you can do about that on a device with no buttons and still retain good control. This game is not actually an endless runner - it is an automatic runner, but there are distinct pre-designed levels in the game that have endings. Along with the game having a level editor, that makes it look a lot better to me than something like Temple Run, which has a randomly generated, endless design and only 3 or 4 types of obstacles.

It's not going to be a great game or anything, but it's probably going to be a good mobile game and a good introduction for Nintendo into the mobile market.
Wait... THIS GAME HAS A LEVEL EDITOR!? I'M FRIGGIN' SOLD! Just hope you'll be able to upload your courses online and play others courses! It doesn't have to be as in-depth as Super Mario Maker, but any game with a good level editor makes me totally hyped to play it! I can't wait until this game comes out!
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image

User avatar
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5542
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Current Project: ???

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:Just hope you'll be able to upload your courses online and play others courses!
You can, it's been confirmed.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

User avatar
Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:34 pm

I REALLY don't like the idea of Nintendo in the mobile market, i'd much rather they put there focus into a new new 3DS Mario title.
Image

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.
Image

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Radiance » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:37 pm

^ I do agree.

User avatar
onpon4
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby onpon4 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Dedicated video game "consoles" are going to be a thing of the past before long (they're already obsolete and have been for over a decade), leaving all video game developers developing for general-purpose PCs. I think these games for Android and iOS are a sign that at least some Nintendo executives realize this.

User avatar
Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Magician » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:29 am

I'm even less interested in this than I was in Pokemon Go, but I don't hate it or anything. This is what Nintendo intended to do for mobile, which is give people a lite experience to entice them into the deeper experiences.

Like... people are mad that Pokemon Go isn't "deep" enough or whatever, but to me that's exactly the point. That's why Sun and Moon is still a thing. I think it's possible more people will buy Sun and Moon out of renewed interest in the franchise. They're doing a lot to sell that game and continue to make changes to the gameplay. I expect as much for Mario on NX.

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3433
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:45 am

Magician wrote:Like... people are mad that Pokemon Go isn't "deep" enough or whatever, but to me that's exactly the point. That's why Sun and Moon is still a thing.
Also, it seems pretty likely that there will be a Johto update coming up, considering how successful the app has been. But anyway, I can see this app going off to a strong start like with GO, but to be honest, it's just another automatic runner with Mario stuck on the front. I'm guessing people are going to buy it just because Mario is in it, but the hype will probably die off as we move on.
Image
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Radiance » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:52 am

^ Yeah, I do agree.

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am
Current Project: idk lol

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:17 am

I don't actually think it's just another endless runner with Mario slapped on it! I mean, the gameplay seems to incorporate some Mario elements into the endless runner formula, which seems pretty interesting! Also, the game isn't an endless runner, it seems to be an automatic runner with seperate levels, which is pretty interesting! So I'd probably say it's a little more than a standard endless runner! I'm definetly looking forward to it, but I also think the hype would probably die out a little, which isn't a bad thing, considering it's just a casual app that doesn't really need so much hype. I see it more as a fun distraction from the usual Mario games, rather than a very big entry in the series, which is fine considering it's aimed towards casual mobile users!

Also, I'm pretty excited for the level editor and online functionality, as I love those things!
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image

User avatar
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 am
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Radiance » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:15 am

  • Has a level editor
  • Has online functionality
  • Automatic running game
I'll stick to Geometry Dash until that thing is released.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby PixelPest » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 pm

I'm actually looking forward to this. After getting sick of Geometry Dash and then beating a handful of normal platformers, I've been waiting for another (no offense) timewaster game for mobile, especially one with a level editor

User avatar
Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Magician wrote:I'm even less interested in this than I was in Pokemon Go, but I don't hate it or anything. This is what Nintendo intended to do for mobile, which is give people a lite experience to entice them into the deeper experiences.

Like... people are mad that Pokemon Go isn't "deep" enough or whatever, but to me that's exactly the point. That's why Sun and Moon is still a thing. I think it's possible more people will buy Sun and Moon out of renewed interest in the franchise. They're doing a lot to sell that game and continue to make changes to the gameplay. I expect as much for Mario on NX.
Tell that to the New Super Mario Bros series, most repetitive platforming series I have EVER played.
Image

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.
Image

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

User avatar
Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Posts: 4098
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:43 pm
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:48 pm

The game looks like it'll be fun, and I'll most likely download it, but it does kinda seem like they're ripping off Temple Run.
Image

User avatar
Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby Magician » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Artemis008 wrote:
Magician wrote:I'm even less interested in this than I was in Pokemon Go, but I don't hate it or anything. This is what Nintendo intended to do for mobile, which is give people a lite experience to entice them into the deeper experiences.

Like... people are mad that Pokemon Go isn't "deep" enough or whatever, but to me that's exactly the point. That's why Sun and Moon is still a thing. I think it's possible more people will buy Sun and Moon out of renewed interest in the franchise. They're doing a lot to sell that game and continue to make changes to the gameplay. I expect as much for Mario on NX.
Tell that to the New Super Mario Bros series, most repetitive platforming series I have EVER played.
The main things that do repeat across that series don't really deny it that much depth in the gameplay department. The things that repeat are some of the standard Mario tropes that have existed prior, the aesthetic appearance, a few powerups, and the sound design. The actual gameplay itself varies and all of them have been enjoyable despite the repetition.

Either way I would actually be surprised if we saw another New Super Mario Bros. title. I don't expect 2D Mario to quit entirely, but my expectation is that with Mario Maker under their belt, they're going to want to really surprise people.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Run

Postby PixelPest » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:The game looks like it'll be fun, and I'll most likely download it, but it does kinda seem like they're ripping off Temple Run.
It's 2D though and you can say that it's ripping off like 25% of all apps, most of which are ripping off other apps


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest