Spookiest Video Games

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Super Mario World: The Lost Levels

Spookiest Video Games

Postby [Egg]Egg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:46 am

Just in time for Hallospoop.
Most of the text and ideas were copied off this, hope you don't mind: http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/07/29/t ... iest-games
Spook level:
Spoiler: show
Five Nights At Freddy's: Sister Location
Now, I can guarantee you, the game's scary. Jumpscares, and the feelings. The sounds usually can creep others out, but for me, NO. It's a spinoff, BTW.
Dead Space
Necromorphs define the terror of Dead Space with their gruesome designs and unpredictable natures. Unlike the foes of most horror games, these guys don’t go down with a bullet to the brain — sometimes their heads aren’t even located where they should be.

But even with a “strategic dismemberment” system that lets us rip enemies apart in creative ways, wandering the corridors of that desolate starship is never not scary. That’s because Necromorphs are creative too, adapting to a sudden lack of limbs in disturbing new ways that keeps the stakes high and the fear factor even higher.

Enemy Zero
The little-played early survival horror game Enemy Zero forces you to explore a dark, lonely starship armed with an audio-based sonar device. As invisible enemies stalk you in the dark and the tension slowly mounts, your heart actually begins to sync with the pulse of your detector.

Enemy Zero's mechanics helped inspire games like Alien Isolation, but none of its imitators have ever quite captured the same consistent sense of terror.

Outlast
Outlast tasks players with investigating the unnerving depths of an overrun psychiatric hospital, home to a host of ghastly secrets and lots and lots of dead bodies.

But what really prevents the player from ever feeling comfortable is an unrelenting onslaught of exhilarating chase sequences, cheap, yet effective jump scares, and a risky dependence on your camcorder’s night vision to even see where you’re going — a handicap that Outlast capitalizes on to outstandingly chilling effect.

Dayz
No amount of scripted jump scares can amount to the sheer, heart-pounding tension we’ve encountered in DayZ’s hostile open-world. But it’s never been the game’s zombies we’ve had to fear. In DayZ, the scariest thing of all is the unpredictability of other human players.

Unforgiving permadeath, a scarcity of resources, and other brutal design choices all work in horrifying harmony to bring out the absolute worst in the people playing, making DayZ one of the most stressful and scary video game experiences.

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Unlike the run-and-hide trend of modern horror games, Fatal Frame 2 forces you to face your fears. In order to survive, you have to point your camera straight at the encroaching horrors and snap a picture. It's a wonderful subversion of our natural desire to turn away from danger, and provides some of the best horror game jump scares out there as a result.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Eternal Darkness transforms terror into a game mechanic. As the torments of this Lovecratian-nightmare relentlessly weigh down on your character, your sanity meter begins to collapse, triggering in-game effects that range from amusing and strange to downright scary.

A fake operating system crash, blacked out displays, and a message that your save data is being deleted bring the scares into the real world, messing with the player’s mind in ways rarely seen in horror games.

Resident Evil HD
Capcom helped define survival horror with the first Resident Evil in 1996. Inventory management and ammo conservation added a layer of tension that only made your cautious meanderings through the halls of the Spencer Estate that much scarier.

The gorgeous 2002 update (and 2015 remaster) not only added new levels of detail, atmosphere, and sophistication to the already remarkable design of the original, but it also threw some sinister curve balls. The newly added Crimson Head zombies and the nightmarish tale of Lisa Trevor help make for one of the most important and terrifying horror games around.

P.T
The brainchild of Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, P.T. came out of nowhere and floored us with its visual fidelity, layered mysteries, and effortless ability to conjure terror. Set in a single, looping hallway, P.T. forces us to relive the terrifying experience of turning that ominous corner again and again and again. And yet, even on the sixth or seventh loop, it still found new ways to scare us, slowly manipulating the environment in subtle, yet disturbing ways until it all culminates into the absolute feverish madness of its finale.

Scariest of all, if you didn't download it during its brief window of existence, there's a good chance you'll never own this fleeting experience.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a gauntlet of tension, panic and anxiety. It manages to refrain from cheap and unexpected jump scares, instead building real tension through the use of sound and atmosphere and then capitalizing on that with terrifying efficiency.

The inability to fend off pursuers coupled with the sanity system, which deters players from staring directly at the disfigured monsters, makes every encounter uncomfortable and mysterious. As the game progresses, safe puzzle areas becomes less frequent and the narrative shifts from creepy to flat out disturbing. At which point, any one of the game’s multiple outcomes is a welcome end to this demanding nightmare.

Silent Hill 2
When it comes to representing real terror and its consequences, it doesn’t get any scarier than Silent Hill 2. It’s an increasingly disturbing and psychological journey into the repressed thoughts of its unassuming protagonist, and the tortured souls he meets along the way.

And here's a game that would have hit the list, but aren't scary enough (for me anyways):
Five Nights At Freddy's Series
A brief horror game, then the fanbase came.
Last edited by [Egg]Egg on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asriel will always be my favorite.
Also if you don't know one's gender, use "they" or "them" instead of "he" or "him". In this case I sexually identify as an egg.
[rimg]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 1318992465[/rimg] is my dream laptop.
yes, new thread coming soon

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Re: Spookiest Video Games

Postby bossedit8 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:12 am

When I first heard UNDERTALE and then discover a little bit of it's contents I always thought that game would be scary but later on after I played it it wasn't really that scary to begin with... it's just certain moments in the game that thinks something is gonna happen to you but really isn't... but it does have the contents of being sorta scary especially when you firstly play it and have no idea what's going on like that I guess.

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:47 am

bossedit8 wrote:When I first heard UNDERTALE and then discover a little bit of it's contents I always thought that game would be scary but later on after I played it it wasn't really that scary to begin with... it's just certain moments in the game that thinks something is gonna happen to you but really isn't... but it does have the contents of being sorta scary especially when you firstly play it and have no idea what's going on like that I guess.
When I first played the game, Omega Flowey was the only character I found creepy.
Also if you don't know one's gender, use "they" or "them" instead of "he" or "him". In this case I sexually identify as an egg.
[rimg]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 1318992465[/rimg] is my dream laptop.

RPG_Magician
Pokey
Pokey

Postby RPG_Magician » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:01 am

[Egg]Egg wrote:Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Unlike the run-and-hide trend of modern horror games, Fatal Frame 2 forces you to face your fears. In order to survive, you have to point your camera straight at the encroaching horrors and snap a picture. It's a wonderful subversion of our natural desire to turn away from danger, and provides some of the best horror game jump scares out there as a result.
Fatal Frame V for the Wii U is pretty good too. The graphics and character motions are pretty spot on. Although the controls are somewhat of a minor complaint.
A little gruesome for those unprepared.

I haven't finished the game yet
Image Image

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:26 pm

RPG_MagicianBot wrote:
[Egg]Egg wrote:Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Fatal Frame V for the Wii U is pretty good too. The graphics and character motions are pretty spot on. Although the controls are somewhat of a minor complaint.
A little gruesome for those unprepared.

I haven't finished the game yet
I could add it, but the game hasn't gave me nightmares yet

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:32 pm

No love for Sweet Home? The Famicom horror that would later become Resident Evil!
The mechanics are simple, yet very effective. It uses a combat system similar to earth bound and a unique party system that splits your group up into different partys. You can only have 3 characters in one group so you have to split up to survive. As a plus, characters can get separated from your party in random events that occur around the mansion, keeping you on edge the entire time.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Circle Guy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: SMBXmix

Postby Circle Guy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:27 am

smbx
Spinda wrote:
luigiman64 wrote:can you fart
yes if you use lunalua

Code: Select all

function onLoop()
    player:Fart()
end
HenryRichard wrote: necks are overrated
Camacho wrote:omg you must get all the spindas
AeroMatter wrote:づ✿o✿づ more spam for the spam god.
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... hilit=fart
the thread i don't want you to see

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 52&t=12863
i don't even

Most posts in a row: 11 (by Tortus Bros)
i have 10,100 points

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Circle Guy wrote:smbx
no
NOTE: Added FNAF: Sister Location

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Circle Guy wrote:smbx
SMBX is not a video game where it spooks you the most unless you make a SMBX Episode out of it that is actually spooky.

Omnion
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Omnion » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:18 am

Waxworks for the Amiga.

It's not really much of a...spooky game but the death scenes are brutal as fuck if that counts

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:18 am

BattLatt wrote:Waxworks for the Amiga.

It's not really much of a...spooky game but the death scenes are brutal as fuck if that counts
The atmosphere is what counts, not the death scenes

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:35 am

The most spookiest game I ever played was the"Luigi's Mansion" arcade game.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:39 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:The most spookiest game I ever played was the"Luigi's Mansion" arcade game.
Wait... did Luigi's Mansion have an arcade game?

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
NintendoOtaku93 wrote:The most spookiest game I ever played was the"Luigi's Mansion" arcade game.
Wait... did Luigi's Mansion have an arcade game?
Yeah, it was produced by both Nintendo & Capcom

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Fnaf is not scary, it's lame and overdone. The creator should really stop making these and make something new.

Also Paper Mario is scary, because Mario kills someone in there.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Current Project: You really think I'll finish one?
Chat Username: AirSoos

Postby AirSeus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Mable wrote:Fnaf is not scary, it's lame and overdone. The creator should really stop making these and make something new.

The creator can make whatever he wants, it's that fanbase that ruins it for me.

My scariest game huh?????????????????????
Power Rangers the game DS
"If you don't get the egg, it will fuck you" - Sanct 2017

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Why are you here? I aint good at poetry?

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young"

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Mable wrote:Fnaf is not scary, it's lame and overdone. The creator should really stop making these and make something new.

TBH I really like sister location, but I also somewhat agree. When does Mario kill someone?

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Mario kills someones in almost every single game

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 pm

I remember when Mario killed all my Pikmin in Donkey Kong Country for the Commodore 64.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Enjl wrote:I remember when Mario killed all my Pikmin in Donkey Kong Country for the Commodore 64.
tbh it wasn't as scary as when he killed all the pokemen in Wario Sunshine for the Atari 9000.

Return to “Video Games”