Misconceptions you had about games as a kid

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Misconceptions you had about games as a kid

Postby Pseudo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:21 pm

For example, when I first played Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, I misinterpreted Admiral Bobbery's one visible eye as his mouth (like in a small smile), and thought his eyes were hidden behind his visor, so he was always looking upwards or something. That also made his mustache a beard.

edit: full disclosure, I still can't unsee this and it's my default view of Bobbery

Anyone else have memories of stuff like this?
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

mechamind
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Re: Misconceptions you had about games as a kid

Postby mechamind » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:47 am

An easy misconception that comes to my mind is thinking that Bullet Bill's arms were eyes, and that its actual eyes were just random shading. It didn't help that Banzai Bill has no arms.

Perhaps it was just due to the resolution and blur of my TV at the time, but I thought that the Dragon Coins from SMW were cookies when I first saw them. Then an info box said what they were and although I still couldn't tell from the resolution, I took its word that they were indeed coins.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Too many things atm! Welp! :(
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:02 am

When I first saw my sister play Paper Mario, I thought the Koopa Bros. were the TMNT! :lol:

TUWAN
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: :/
Chat Username: TUWAN

Postby TUWAN » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:51 pm

something something Link is Zelda
just kidding.
[she/her]

Support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
My ranks:
ImageRank #1: Goomba: 1-4 posts
Image Rank #2: Shy Guy: 5-9 posts
Image Rank #3: Cheep-Cheep: 10-19 posts
Image Rank #4: Koopa Troopa 20-29 posts
ImageRank #5: Bom-omb: 30-39 posts
ImageRank #6: Spiny: 40-59 posts
ImageRank #7: Fighter Fly: 60-79 posts
ImageRank #8: Rex: 80-99 posts
ImageRank #9: Swooper: 100-124 posts
ImageRank #10: Bit: 125-149 posts
Image Rank #11:Hoopster: 150-174 posts
List of all ranks:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=961

Ecruteak
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: It's been...
Current Project: sleeping
Chat Username: Castelia

Postby Ecruteak » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:30 am

I always thought the Power Bracelet in the original Zelda was some sort of magical croissant or donut or something, and I picked it up hoping to heal myself. Instead, I found out that I could push rocks. It was pretty cool.
Ambiguously active.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:01 pm

I always thought Tails' name was pronounced Trails for some reason!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: Bench-kun

Postby Amine Retro » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:I always thought Tails' name was pronounced Trails for some reason!
and i mistook miles for miels
my signature
my discord server. we have a WIP episode there too, so you can join if you're interested.
i support: show

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Hm...

When I was really, really young, I assumed that video games were some kind of magic.

I thought Lode Runner: The Legend Returns was just called "Lode Runner". That made it really difficult for me to track it down again years later.

Not exactly a misconception, but when I was young, I didn't know that you run in Super Mario Bros by holding the "B" button (or rather the "Y" button, as the case would have been). In fact, I didn't even know running was possible. I assumed that getting to the top of the flagpole was a matter of precise timing.

Also not exactly a misconception, but I didn't ever hear about the Pokemon video game series as a child. I only knew about the cartoon series and card game.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:19 pm

A fond one I remember was from Pokemon. Or more specifically, this one here:

To be honest, I thought Torkoal was some kind of smoky monster, with the holes in its shell as "eyes". The sprite wasn't helping because it seemed less like a tortoise and more like some scary creature that you don't know what it looks like due to all the smoke. It took quite a while to realise I was looking at the sprite the wrong way.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:41 pm

onpon4 wrote:Not exactly a misconception, but when I was young, I didn't know that you run in Super Mario Bros by holding the "B" button (or rather the "Y" button, as the case would have been). In fact, I didn't even know running was possible. I assumed that getting to the top of the flagpole was a matter of precise timing.
Oh yeah, I didn't know the run button was a thing when I started playing 2D Mario games either (I think my first was New Super Mario Bros. on the DS). I probably got through world 2 or so before learning about it from a friend.

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Spring 봄

Postby Hani » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:27 pm

wow my profile picture was used as an example.
Well in paper mario games, i was so bad. I didn't dodge and i used items when i dont need it lol
But I eventually got good.

ProngoKingdom
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Random levels

Postby ProngoKingdom » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:12 pm

I used to think that one of Mario's catchphrases "Let's a go!" was actually him saying "Get the gold!" because I first heard it in a crappy flash game. Because of that, I tried to get every coin in that game.
Avatar by the talented That-Mario-Kid

Since everyone have unrelated Pokemon in their signature, I'll put some in mine too.
ImageImageImage

mechamind
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Postby mechamind » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm

I didn't know you could run in Super Mario RPG, so I was stuck at Booster's Tower for a long time until then. At least SMRPG has a save system and no time limit.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:33 am

I used to think the tank class was superior and medics were scrubs until I learned it was the other way around and that rangers are not my equals as human beings - salt of the earth the lot of them.

I thought I was really good at one of the Star Wars Battlefront games when really I just found a stun lock bug. Sad but true.

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Postby RSupertheGreat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:59 am

When I play one of my favorite cartoon game like Nick Jr. I play that one first. Later,I feel enjoyed and that is all my favorite,and then I keep playing my favorite games acted 'default'. The most annoying thing that I always have in my younger feelings are scared suddenly,like every-time lol. When I got the wrong answer,and a noise(even one) will scared me :| . Also,always wanted to answer everything is freaking correct. What am I doing actually?(Not really asking to you guys,it's for myself)

About Bobbery on thread:
Yes,I know that guy. Bobbery's left eye was a little close over his old captain cap. So,you know. It might be confusing with his eye like a small smile. He is grumpy over his look like a grumpy captain. And where is he looking at?Actually,he was looking front.

The things that I want to share with you guys:
Do you remember Goombario from Paper Mario 64?So yeah when you're on a battle,Goombario was still moving in standard mode or he does the stretch(over his foot). He's like wanted to do a little battle exercise. So in my opinion is,he is hyper or what. So,he wanted to go on adventure as his name's sports with 'Goomba' and 'Mario'. But he's still too young but he encourages himself just like Koops(whose father was death as he find out there's a note over Kolorado's hand,so I think Kolorado was Koops' father).

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Pseudo wrote:
onpon4 wrote:Not exactly a misconception, but when I was young, I didn't know that you run in Super Mario Bros by holding the "B" button (or rather the "Y" button, as the case would have been). In fact, I didn't even know running was possible. I assumed that getting to the top of the flagpole was a matter of precise timing.
Oh yeah, I didn't know the run button was a thing when I started playing 2D Mario games either (I think my first was New Super Mario Bros. on the DS). I probably got through world 2 or so before learning about it from a friend.
On a similar note, I didn't know you could run over one-unit-wide holes in Super Mario Bros. as a kid. I could always beat every level except 8-2, which I dreaded, until one day, one of my older brothers showed me how to jump over that one really large gap (as he was preparing to jump, I was thinking "you're going to fall into that hole," and when he ran over it, I was like "HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO FIGURE THAT OUT??")
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:16 pm

This might not be mine, but I think this is a true misconception I noticed on Social Media.
Some guy on social media thinks Ryu from "Street Fighter" is white. Nerve for some people. :roll:

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: Utopia
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:23 am

Actually I have one. It's that obscure monster from Yu-Gi-Oh, "Hungry Burger". Never really understood the card itself, though I believe it has some sort of relation with Pegasus' Toon Monsters. See, the card version shows it with a blue flag on top.

I always used to think that the flag was one of its "eyes", mainly due to the red circle in the middle of flag. Turns out that upon playing one of the GBC games, Hungry Burger's sprite reveals that this "eye" was actually a flag.

Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:11 am

When I showed my father Mortal Kombat II, he thought Kung Lao was played by Clint Eastwood! :lol:

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:00 am

Oh yeah, also, I initially did not get the pun in the Pokémon Kangaskhan's name, and I pronounced it "Can-Gas-Can" until a friend of mine clued me in by naming his Kangaskhan "GENGHSKHAN" in HeartGold.

- a spam account, 2016

Return to “Video Games”