games you played that most people don't know that they exist

This is the place for video games!
Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: Bench-kun

games you played that most people don't know that they exist

Postby Amine Retro » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

so have you ever played a game and searched for it, then you realise rarely anyone played that game?
well you post 'em here!

here are some of mine:

asterix & obelix XXL2: mission: ouifix
Spoiler: show
so here is the story of how i got it: i had my nintendo DS then i heard about this R4 thing, wich uses a micro SD card to store certain number of games in one card.
then i asked my dad to buy me one, but i didn't know DS games, then i asked him for a random choice, tadaa! i found it in the middle of the games hiding there.
gameplay is a 2D platformer, but with 3D graphics instead of sprites, it has that mechanic where in order to progress you'll have to beat up romans (just like TMNT)
also it has a lot of game refrences (mario sunshine, sonic the hedgehog, pacman...) wich can be seen in the cover art.
lostmagic

(read the first spoiler) so in the same card, i found lostmagic! it had a blue bird icon (wich is your partner), and i was like "this is probably another one of those weird japanese games"
then after some time i changed my mind and played it, and wow if that wasn't a good game!
it is a roleplay game, the game's protagonist is isaac, it has its own unique gameplay mechanic, it only uses the DS stylus and the L button.
the more you progress with the game, the more you must plan your moves, the mechanics are too hard to explain, i can't do that in one night!
bomberman II DS
same thing with the R4 thing, this game is just like bomberman, BUT IT HAS ARMOR! how cool is that?
like i said, this is like normal bomberman, now with armor, every armor has its unique powers (attack, defense, speed...) and now bomberman has HP (so are the enemies)
and damn, is the OST enjoyable, especially "fight with honor" wich is my favorite.
Last edited by Amine Retro on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my signature
my discord server. we have a WIP episode there too, so you can join if you're interested.
i support: show

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Re: games you played that most people don't know that they exist

Postby Mosaic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:36 pm

SMBX

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Quest of Fear

Postby Witchking666 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:05 am

MosaicMario wrote:SMBX
This joke is getting old.
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Current Project: CCX1 level

Postby Cedur » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:22 am

Last Legacy :>

EDIT: Jysk it's also a fangame, in its current state
Last edited by Cedur on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshi's are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:19 am

witchking666 wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:SMBX
This joke is getting old.
It's so true though

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Current Project: CCX1 level

Postby Cedur » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 am

Is this about real games or fangames? I mean, for being a fangame SMBX is somewhat popular and long-lasting
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshi's are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:18 pm

We should probably stick to real games as I'm certain the OP intended to share games that are unknown to the mainstream gaming audience. Any fangame is well known to the collective fangaming interest but is unknown to the biggest level of gaming interest due to its, simply, quasi-legality. Long story short, saying a fangame is an easy answer, think of an actual game.

Google the names if you're interested.

Nuclear Throne for one. I know no one here really plays that and I intend to fix it one of these days.

RPM Racing for the SNES. RPM stands for Radical Psycho Machine Racing. Think of it is a crappy prototype of TrackMania, which I also played.

Underta-

Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES. I list this here because the most surprising thing is I met someone who played it at length as well.

That's just off the top of my head. I'll think of more later. I've played a lot of games.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Amine Retro » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Supershroom wrote:Is this about real games or fangames? I mean, for being a fangame SMBX is somewhat popular and long-lasting
for real games, if it was for fan games this topic would explode with posts
my signature
my discord server. we have a WIP episode there too, so you can join if you're interested.

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm

I don't see any reason to categorically dismiss fangames as not "real" games. Unless by "real" games you mean big-budget commercial games, which would also make games such as VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, and Minecraft "not real games". No matter how you slice it, it's a silly and arbitrary distinction.

I can see a reason to exclude fangames from this topic, but that reason is because a lot of people here are absolutely familiar with them, so it's redundant to mention them.

Anyway, I've got quite a lot of them, but here's a partial list (only including good games that I didn't make):

Project: Starfighter: A space shooter game from 2003 that was originally going to be for Amiga, but ended up being an SDL game mainly for GNU/Linux instead. I liked it well enough that I ended up being its maintainer.

Alex the Allegator 4: A side-scrolling platformer with a Gameboy style in its graphics. The title is not a misspelling; it's spelled that way because it (like the other Alex the Allegator games) uses Allegro. You're an alligator, you have to save your alligator girlfriend, and along the way you stomp on and eat cavemen and spit eggs at pufferfish. Then once you 100% it, a scrolling shooter from Alex's girlfriend's perspective (reversing the roles) is unlocked. This is easily my second favorite platformer.

Barbie Seahorse Adventures: A nice side-scrolling platformer starring a pink seahorse that can shoot bubbles to turn enemies into bubbles. Made for PyWeek.

Slappa: You're a cat, possibly partnered with a dog (second player), and you fight an endless onslaught of enemies by punching projectiles they spit at you back into them. Really simple and really fun. Another one made for PyWeek.

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Amine Retro » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:59 pm

onpon4 wrote:I don't see any reason to categorically dismiss fangames as not "real" games. Unless by "real" games you mean big-budget commercial games, which would also make games such as VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, and Minecraft "not real games". No matter how you slice it, it's a silly and arbitrary distinction.
hmm, then the fangames shall be posted!
my signature

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Amine Retro » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:25 pm

oh, forgot!
i'm mainly playing this game and ripping sprites from it.

little samson
well this thing i recently saw in tsr while looking for some sprites, its little samson!
its just like LOZ2, you jump in platformer mode and kill enemies.
its got 4 characters, little samson, kikira the dragon, gamm the golem, K.O. (thats actually a name) the mouse.
plot:
The game begins simply enough — a dark prince is freed from his seal by a thunderstorm, and begins to try to take over the world. The kingdom is in peril, and the King orders that the four heroes receive a summon. Four pigeons fly off to meet these heroes, and each reads the summon. From here, the player must navigate all four of these players through an introductory course.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
belive or not, this game had only 11 COPIES IN THE WORLD, so forget about buying it.
Last edited by Amine Retro on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
my signature

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:35 pm

onpon4 wrote:I can see a reason to exclude fangames from this topic, but that reason is because a lot of people here are absolutely familiar with them, so it's redundant to mention them.
Which was one of the points I was getting at. Fangames generally mean made by people who like an actual game so much that they make a game with heavy borrowing from the source of their interest, which is why while we know about things like SMBX here while SMBX and others aren't known to the broader audience. That's what I have down in my book. I have no idea what you have in yours for the definition of fangames. I was not trying to imply that they aren't actual real successful games. I don't know why you thought I was.

And VVVVVV was a fangame? Since when? If so, what is it based off of? And even then, why is it not a commercially legal game? That's what I mean by real.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:53 pm

DarkMatt wrote:And VVVVVV was a fangame? Since when? If so, what is it based off of? And even then, why is it not a commercially legal game? That's what I mean by real.
Who said VVVVVV was a fangame? I implied that it would be nonsensical to claim it isn't "real", something totally different (based, obviously, on the conjecture that you might mean "AAA" when you say "real"). I don't understand why reading what I wrote made you jump to the conclusion that I think VVVVVV is a fangame. Maybe you have too strong of a fixation on your arbitrary definition of what is "real" (thanks for defining that here, by the way). When I see "real" or "actual" without any qualifiers at all, what I see is "one that exists", not "one that is 'commercially legal'". Of course, I knew that was not what you meant, but when someone says that a game is not a "real game", they usually mean that it isn't a "real game" because it either isn't successful enough or doesn't have a big enough budget for them to give it the time of day.

But drawing the line at games that can be legally developed as part of a business is still completely arbitrary. It means Project: Starfighter may or may not be a "real" game. This definition is also subjective; the legality of distributing any given work as part of a business is going to vary from country to country depending on things like fair use doctrine in the U.S. So if a game is fair use in the U.S., is it a "real game" in the U.S. but not a "real game" in Japan (which doesn't have any sort of fair use law or doctrine)? That's assuming you can even figure out whether or not the game infringes copyright, which is an open question in the U.S.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:57 am

I've played a bunch of obscure games, so I'll try to limit it to the ones I've beaten (in no particular order):
Little Samson
Terranigma
The Rocketeer (NES)
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
Majyuuou (King of Demons)
Metal Storm (NES)
Trip World
Mr. Gimmick
Rockman & Forte: Mirai kara no Chousensha
Rockman EXE WS
Bubble Ghost
Fractured Soul
Liberation Maiden
Drill Dozer
Ninja Five-0
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Final Fantasy X - Fantasy War
Kid Dracula
Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun
Monster Party
Luoke Ren DX6
Batman Returns (SMS)
Golden Axe Warrior
Spellcaster (SMS)
Sin and Punishment (N64)
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Cyber Lip
Bucky O Hare (NES)
Felix the Cat (NES)
Low G Man
Venus Wars (NES)
Hagane (SNES)
Sky Blazer
1943 Kai (PCE)
Bomberman '94
Neutopia
Neutopia II
Bloody Wolf
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Klonoa: Moonlight Museum
Astebreed
Skyborn
Telsagrad
Sweet Lily Dreams
Trine
Soul Blazer
Tales of Phantasia
Illusion of Gaia
Densetsu no Stafy
Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SMS)
Sonic: Triple Trouble
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Blast
Sonic 3D Blast
Ristar
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Last edited by Imaynotbehere4long on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:13 pm

I played the shitty Game Boy version of Gex: Enter the Gecko! And trust me, this is a pure shitty version!
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

TUWAN
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: :/
Chat Username: TUWAN

Postby TUWAN » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:52 pm

I seem to never find people that like golden sun, but when I do they also acknowledge that nobody has heard of it.
just kidding.
[she/her]

Support:
ImageImage
My ranks:
ImageRank #1: Goomba: 1-4 posts
Image Rank #2: Shy Guy: 5-9 posts
Image Rank #3: Cheep-Cheep: 10-19 posts
Image Rank #4: Koopa Troopa 20-29 posts
ImageRank #5: Bom-omb: 30-39 posts
ImageRank #6: Spiny: 40-59 posts
ImageRank #7: Fighter Fly: 60-79 posts
ImageRank #8: Rex: 80-99 posts
ImageRank #9: Swooper: 100-124 posts
ImageRank #10: Bit: 125-149 posts
Image Rank #11:Hoopster: 150-174 posts
List of all ranks:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=961

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:19 pm

TUWAN wrote:I seem to never find people that like golden sun, but when I do they also acknowledge that nobody has heard of it.
I've actually beaten all three Golden Sun games (and even grew up with the first two), but I never really considered how obscure they were. I guess I can add those games to my list.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:57 am

Demon's Crest is always the first thing that comes to mind.
You'd think calling a Capcom game for the SNES obscure seems weird, but it really kind of is. I heard it sold terribly, possibly because of the box art?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... est_us.jpg

A sort of Metroidvania with amazing graphics and amazing music. The Metroidvania-ness isn't completely obvious at first, many people missed it and that's another reason why it didn't sell well I've heard.

The Crest system is still one of my favorite ability systems. Those Gargoyle forms look so cool!

Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: World domination

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:53 am

Basically, an RPG named LiveALive. It is amazing. The great majority of reviews about it are positive.
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
Read the worst webcomic on the forums!
My greatest forum achievement:

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:01 pm

The entire Mother series.

Return to “Video Games”