NES "Difficulty"

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

NES "Difficulty"

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 pm

So I've been trying to play through some of the nes classics everyone speaks so fondly of, why are these games so god dam difficult? I'm specifically talking about Metroid, Zelda II, and Mario 2.
First let's look at Metroid;
Any type of checkpoint system? No.
Health pickups? Very very VERY few.
Any kind of navigation system to help traverse the huge world? No.

Now Zelda II;
Health pick ups? ONE every dungeon!
A map? Yes, but far from a good one.
Checkpoints? Works better then Metroid by saving between rooms, but game over still sends you all the way back to the church.

Finally Mario 2
Health items? Again, very very few.
A map? Doesn't really apply to this, it's linear.
Checkpoints? Works like Zelda 2, except 2 game overs restarts the entire game.

I like a good challenge, but this is abysmal! Any of you who played the originals on nes, how did you do it? It should also be mentioned that Metroid uses a password system that only saves weapons and bosses defeated , Zelda 2 requires you to die to save, which means your going all the way back to the beginning of the map and in the famicom version your losing all your exp, and Mario 2 doesn't have one at all, which is weird because Doki Doki Panic had one.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Wind
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: The Second Reality Project X
Chat Username: Savordez

Re: NES "Difficulty"

Postby Wind » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Saving back then wasn't as easy as it is now. And the NES was quite limited; I think a navigation system for Metroid would have been somewhat difficult to pull off (and for games like it and Zelda you were kind of supposed to draw the maps yourself)

<bossedit8> abuse nicely

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Simple, really: early implementations of game ideas almost never get everything right. But at the same time, if they're good enough, they impress people in the context of the time they were released. Then they get fondly remembered by the people who grew up with them.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:35 pm

I got 1 question. When is the starting location in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" a church.... Wasn't it a sanctuary? :roll:

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:16 pm

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:I got 1 question. When is the starting location in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" a church.... Wasn't it a sanctuary? :roll:
I always thought it was some kind of church, you learn something new every day.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Postby RSupertheGreat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:35 am

I've played Super Mario Bros 3, it was amazing with the power of raccoon tail. The useless things I thought is hitting enemy by speedrunning through them probably was a bad idea. Probably there's a checkpoint include with it.

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Cidro
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Cidro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:47 am

Well, you're right that those games are hard. ( like Goblins and Ghosts if that's what it's called and the NES TMNT. ) Sadly, the only thing they get when they complete those games are BRAGGING RIGHTS.
The ghost living the afterlife who makes human music.

Stuff that has gained my attention

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:42 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:I got 1 question. When is the starting location in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" a church.... Wasn't it a sanctuary? :roll:
It's actually a castle. But yeah, that game is also one of the hardest out there as well. They hide things from you and expect you to figure it out without many hints. Also, the different perspective is quite hard to adjust to if you're not used to it, and they throw you in at the deep end (it's really easy to die in the first palace alone!) expecting you to get used to it from the get-go.

Also, why hasn't anyone brought up Lost Levels? It's the hardest Mario game out there, and it's up there with all the other hard NES games. At some points you need pixel-perfect precision to get past some levels (I'm looking at you, world C-4...) and whenever you die, it's really unforgiving because you need to go through it all again. Do I also have to mention that you need to beat the game 8 times to unlock the true ending?
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 am

Also, why hasn't anyone brought up Lost Levels?
Probably because it's not a NES game. Also, the only version that was released outside of Japan (in All-Stars) was much fairer.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 am

Artemis008 wrote:Mario 2 doesn't have a save system at all, which is weird because Doki Doki Panic had one.
Doki Doki Panic was released on a Disk, while SMB2 was released on a cartridge. Disks can save games without the need of a battery backup, and since SMB2 was released on a cart and battery backups back then were expensive as fuck, plus the game was kinda short compared to games like Zelda which had a battery backup, it's understandable that Nintendo removed saving there.

Also, that's the reason a lot of NES games didn't have saving, since battery backups were really expensive to make back in the day. It seems to have been cheaper in Japan, since some Famicom games got their Save feature replaced by a Password feature or nothing at all when they got localized.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Saltlord
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: yup
Current Project: Doing as little as possible
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269

Postby Saltlord » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:41 pm

A lot of the games back then also had some trial and error stuff. Take Mega Man 2 for example.

Quick Man's stage as well as the 4th Wily stage can be downright unfair if you play these levels for the first time.

You start of Quick Man's stage with jumping down a hole, and this is where the fun begins. You need to dodge multiple fast beams which are fired at you from multiple directions, touching them results in an instant death.

And then there is the 4th Wily stage. The main gimmick of this stage are ground tiles which you can fall through. There is no difference between this fake ground and the normal parts. And I didn't mention the boss yet. The boss or consists of some weird wall turrets which will fire holming shots at you. The only weapon you can destroy them with is the Crash Bomber. The problem is that the Crash Bomber has very little ammo, and if you run out of ammo, you are trapped and forced to die.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:50 am

Koopa-Fan wrote:A lot of the games back then also had some trial and error stuff. Take Mega Man 2 for example.

Quick Man's stage as well as the 4th Wily stage can be downright unfair if you play these levels for the first time.

You start of Quick Man's stage with jumping down a hole, and this is where the fun begins. You need to dodge multiple fast beams which are fired at you from multiple directions, touching them results in an instant death.

And then there is the 4th Wily stage. The main gimmick of this stage are ground tiles which you can fall through. There is no difference between this fake ground and the normal parts. And I didn't mention the boss yet. The boss or consists of some weird wall turrets which will fire holming shots at you. The only weapon you can destroy them with is the Crash Bomber. The problem is that the Crash Bomber has very little ammo, and if you run out of ammo, you are trapped and forced to die.
And if you die to the boss in wily 4, you're forced to grind weapon energy for the crash bomber since weapon ammo doesn't refill between deaths, and if you get a game over, you do start with everything refilled but you start at the beginning of the stage. That's just shit design, and one of the reasons I think MM2 is overrated is simply because the game had some shit design chocies that other games in the series don't. Granted, the game is a lot better than MM1, but I don't consider it to be the best in the series, far from it.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:39 am

onpon4 wrote:
Also, why hasn't anyone brought up Lost Levels?
Probably because it's not a NES game. Also, the only version that was released outside of Japan (in All-Stars) was much fairer.
It still is though. Even though it's technically called "Super Mario Bros. 2" and it was released under a new title somewhere else with some fairer difficulty (like not reducing your life count to 1 when you start world 9), it doesn't mean the game is entirely different. Also, playing the original Lost Levels is easier than ever now with Virtual Console and emulators.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 am

HeroLinik wrote:It still is though.
I don't think you understand what I meant. Lost Levels was not released in the United States or Europe for the NES. It was only released in Japan, for the Famicom. Sure, the hardware is identical, but that doesn't change the fact that this game was not a part of the NES library during its lifespan. The first release of this game outside of Japan was the SNES port. This port does not make you start the world over again when you lose your lives, does not make you complete the game 8 times to access World A, and has a save feature so you don't have to beat the game in one sitting. That's a vastly different experience compared to the original Famicom version.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm surprised that no one brought up the few NES fighting games in this thread... I think the "Most difficult" NES fighter was Karate Champ.

Reason: The controls are messed up!

stageleft
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Postby stageleft » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 am

Those games were hard... everything was much much different back then. When Metroid and Zelda were new, there wasn't anything like it before and not much to compete with the quality of. A kid was usually stuck with 1-4 insanely hard games that they fought with tooth and nail because they didnt have 90 bucks to blow on a new one...ever. Until they became teenagers and got jobs. Gaming was fun...but not easy like today. No checkpoint just a 36 letter password that contained a lot of similar looking characters. If you were lucky inputting the password would actually work..but it hardly ever started you with everything you collected aside from major items so most kids got insanely good and just beat them beginning to end. Try out Battletoads or Air Fortress for a real challange.

arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Postby arcade999 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Actually, in the first metroid, you have an overcheated healt bar.
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Wanna know a group of NES games that's beyond the "NES" Difficulty? Two words

Ninja Gaiden

Trust me, the first 3 "Ninja Gaiden" games are way harder than any difficult NES game out there!

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 am

What about Wally Bear & The NO Gang or Ghosts'n'Goblins?
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:10 am

SMB3 Kaizo if rom hacks count.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

Return to “Video Games”