Why are Gamecube games so expensive?

This is the place for video games!
Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Why are Gamecube games so expensive?

Postby Artemis008 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm

So, I've got a Neintendo Wii with gamecube backwards compatibility, and have been stocking up on games because when switch comes around they won't be as easy to find. I also wanted to add some GC games to my collection, and MY GOD they are SO EXPENSIVE! 80$ for Smash Melee and 250$ for Fire Emblem, why are they so god damn expensive? PS2 games never get past 30$, and Xbox even less. So why are GC games so much more expensive then Xbox and PS2 games? The only GC games I found at a decent price was a Resident Evil 0 and 1 bundle for 20$, these normally go for 40$ each.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Re: Why are Gamecube games so expensive?

Postby mechamind » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:31 am

Perhaps it's a combination of the number of copies that exist, plus how many people intend to keep their copy. People wouldn't want to trade in their Nintendo titles.

Two years ago, I remember I saw Super Metroid at a local retailer for $100 (at the time, roughly $80 U.S.), and I also found that to be quite expensive.

Wii U games will probably be expensive as well.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:43 am

Yeah, the GameCube was commercially unsuccessful, but many of its games are very well regarded. Melee in particular is still in pretty high demand due to the ongoing competitive scene, and I don't believe Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance had many copies printed in the US.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: self-censorship
Current Project: ok
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269

Postby Saltlord » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:49 am

The Gamecube had horrible sales compared to Nintendo's previous consoles, which is why the Gamecube as well as the Dreamcast are considered to be a "treasures full of hidden gems" (these games who are actually pretty amazing, even though no one has played them). I feel like Wii U games will someday be even more expensive, cuz it did even worse than the Gamecube.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Let me check if your theory on Gamecube games being so expensive on Amazon.com

Damn.... you're right

(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

DisOmikron
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Chat Username: DisOmikron

Postby DisOmikron » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Most of the games with 'Mario' in the title are pretty expensive, especially Paper Mario TTYD, but you can also get some good (underrated?) multiplayer games, like Burnout 2, Soul Calibur 2, Super Monkey Ball, etc. for a few dollars or less. I often used the game Shadow the Hedgehog as a reference point, since a few years ago, you could buy that game for 0,01$. That meant you could (theoretically) get either 1 Paper Mario TTYD copy or about 5k to 25k copies of Shadow the Hedgehog. :D
[spoiler]Apfelsaft, der gibt dir Kraft. Apfelsaft macht Schicht im Schacht. Apfelsaft, oh Apfelsaft, ich bin so tough wie Apfelsaft.[/spoiler]

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DisOmikron

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 am

I remember one time, I was looking for a Game Boy Player controller from Amazon.com, and believe it or not, they cost a little over $150! :shock:
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

ProngoKingdom
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Random levels

Postby ProngoKingdom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 am

I never really have a problem with high prices since most of my Gamecube games are from stores near me. I got my copy of Luigi's Mansion for $35 and Pac-Man World 2 for $15. So if you can, try to find some retro-looking stores (not GameStop) and search there for any, they'll probably be cheaper. If there aren't any stores near you or if their prices are just as bad or worse, better stock up on greenbacks.
Avatar by the talented That-Mario-Kid

Since everyone have unrelated Pokemon in their signature, I'll put some in mine too.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Video Games”