What if Super Mario Bros never existed?

This is the place for video games!
Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

What if Super Mario Bros never existed?

Postby Electriking » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:05 pm

OK here is a scenario. What if Super Mario Bros did not exist?

Well we all no for sure that video games today would be very different. Let's use this thread to speculate and discuss what would have changed and what wouldn't.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: What if Super Mario Bros never existed?

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Someone would undoubtedly make a game with similar gameplay and plot, and then it would have formed the basis of all the platform games that we know now, even if it didn't play like SMB.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Well I personally think that SMBX wouldn't exist, let along the countless Mario fangames out there. And seeing how Sonic is tied into the Mario universe a bit, we wouldn't have him either. Nintendo was created in 1889 originally as a card company and continued until 1956, so they probably would have been known for their card games instead of video games. But like HeroLinik says, another company would've started making video games instead. That would make it very unlikely for any of the games and software companies that we see today to exist in another scenario.

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:06 pm

I wouldn't have been born. 9/11 wouldn't have happened. Windows may have never been developed. Linux may have never been developed. Dexter's Laboratory would have never been made. Samurai Jack would have never been made. Johnny Test would have never been made.

I think you get the idea. Pretty much nothing that happened more than a few years after Super Mario Bros was released would have happened if Super Mario Bros wasn't a thing, good or bad.

Still, that doesn't imply that history would be fundamentally different. If Super Mario Bros wasn't developed, some other very similar game could have been developed. Or maybe not. It's really impossible to say.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Metanet Hunter -1
Chat Username: NightKawata

Postby NightKawata » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:54 pm

King of Eterity wrote:OK here is a scenario. What if Super Mario Bros did not exist?

Well we all no for sure that video games today would be very different. Let's use this thread to speculate and discuss what would have changed and what wouldn't.
Then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? :p
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

Natsu
Wart
Wart
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Shane

Postby Natsu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Super Mario Bros. revolutionized gaming. Without its existence, there's no telling what would've happened. Maybe gaming as we know it wouldn't exist because no one dared to make the first move towards innovation. Only speculations remain.
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

Cidro
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Cidro » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am

SMBX would likely be non-existent. Cartoon shows will make some video game references other than Mario. I'd also be stuck with RPGs since Mario was the first platformer I've played and Final Fantasy was the first RPG I've played. We would never know if mushrooms and orange-colored flowers are edible. I'd still have my 3GB internet. I'd be playing either Dota 2 or LoL.
My mom would still have her 3GB internet. I would watch my favourite anime on the Internet. There's more, but I guess that's
it.
The ghost living the afterlife who makes human music.

Stuff that has gained my attention
Spoiler: show

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Rhosty » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 am

SMBX would likely be non-existent. Cartoon shows will make some video game references other than Mario. I'd also be stuck with RPGs since Mario was the first platformer I've played and Final Fantasy was the first RPG I've played. We would never know if mushrooms and orange-colored flowers are edible. I'd still have my 3GB internet. I'd be playing either Dota 2 or LoL.
My mom would still have her 3GB internet. I would watch my favourite anime on the Internet. There's more, but I guess that's
it.
So let's just say that we're cutting out the Mario Bros./Super Mario Bros. franchise as it is. For me, I wouldn't have asked my grandpa for a Wii, instead, I would've asked him for a PS3 or a Xbox1, or something like that. Or maybe not ask at all. I would completely despise music of any kind, and would rather listen to the newest music artists's soundtracks, than listen to video game music, movie soundtracks, or 70s-80s rock. I'd probably not be at interested in technology as I am today, and most likely would not be a gamer. And I also wouldn't be here because SMBX won't exist without Mario.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:27 am

My thought on this theory is, if Super Mario Bros. never existed, we'll all be playing nothing but Sega, TurboGrafx16, and arcade games forever. :roll:
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:57 am

onpon4 wrote:Johnny Test would have never been made.
And that would probably be for the better.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:22 am

That's exactly what I was thinking. ;) Gotta contrast the good with the bad, y'know.

Navi
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: trying to be a normal person
Chat Username: NavBot

Postby Navi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Uhhh... the forums would never exist?
Hello~ I'm previously known as Alex48, or by crunch40 for very old people.

Memorabilia:
<Legend-tony980> And I'm sexually impure.
== broadband was kicked from #teatime by Gohan [eww broadband]
"I don't have time for this, sorry" ~ Joey 2015
<reghrhre> close, ronald garcia

Crusher: kedy (the adjective) means rude or mean
kedy (the verb) means to ban/kick/kickban
kedy (the noun) means bad leader

now, see you in 3 years when im finally unbanned
xD

[Friday, May 01, 2015 6:12 PM] Crusher169: Kedy-kun-kawaii-desu-san-chan-sensai-senpai
Good morning/afternoon/noon/evening/night/midnight/dawn to everyone!
Supporting:
bossedit8's project:
Touhou Mario 2
OPEN SESAME:

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:26 pm

We wouldn't have video games today.

Well, maybe Namco or Sega would get on that bandwagon, but just imagine if the flagship of the 8-bit generation wasn't Mario, but like, Pac-Man. Or Castlevania. Or maybe even Frogger. Robotron?

It'd be a very different flagship genre, probably. It wouldn't be a guarantee that just someone else would make the gold standard of platformers. We'd probably get a gold standard of something else entirely.

Oh yeah, I should correct myself. We would still have video games today. After all, before the NES we had stuff like Commodore 64 and Apple II. Those kept on going, making games, even when the dedicated game console market died in a fire. But hey, people always want to be lazy and just play games so, someone would fill in that gap. Doesn't mean we wouldn't have games.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:02 am

Then I'll make it exist.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:00 pm

timocomsmbx2345 wrote:Then I'll make it exist.
If you could make it exist though, then how would you make it successful? By now, if Super Mario Bros. never released in 1985, someone out there would have done a game with similar gameplay and plot, but using a different character. Therefore, your take on Super Mario Bros. would have been seen as a knockoff, and probably wouldn't be successful unless you changed it up dramatically from the original.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm

I think gaming as a whole would look way different today without Super Mario Bros. As I understand it, one of the main things that distinguished it from its contemporaries was that it was one of the first games where the main goal was just to complete the game, as opposed to setting a high score or whatever. "Arcade-style" games might be a lot more popular now without Super Mario Bros.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:04 pm

That wasn't a new thing in 1985... even if you discount games like Donkey Kong, there's Pitfall, Adventure, Ghostbusters, and... E.T. Don't even get me started on the PC games available at the time.

The "distinction" of Super Mario Bros was that it was a reasonably advanced and fun game that was bundled with the NES, during a time when the NES was massively dominant.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Rhosty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:22 pm

onpon4 wrote:That wasn't a new thing in 1985... even if you discount games like Donkey Kong, there's Pitfall, Adventure, Ghostbusters, and... E.T. Don't even get me started on the PC games available at the time.

The "distinction" of Super Mario Bros was that it was a reasonably advanced and fun game that was bundled with the NES, during a time when the NES was massively dominant.
Pretty much just taking Super Mario Bros out of the mix will only change a few games that come after that point, and maybe just barely make any changes to future gaming systems.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Then I wouldn't have a virus on my phone from trying to download the full version of Super Mario Run without paying for it

NicoBros
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Heh.
Current Project: Nah, don't have one ATM.
Chat Username: NicoBros

Postby NicoBros » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Easy: Sonic will be the most played game, or never existed because SEGA created him to be a rival of the Merio and N O S M B X.
Technically redigit will only be some guy that created terraria with a platform style inspired in Sonic style, I think.
(Know as NicoBros The Koopa Mage as well.)
Hello, it's a me, NicoBros! I'm not an active SMBX user anymore. Sometimes I do talk here just for talk. Heh.

If you like my work, consider donating! (PayPal only, $BRL only)

Return to “Video Games”