Video Game Costs

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Video Game Costs

Postby Aero » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm

What's the consensus on video game pricing here?

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Re: Video Game Costs

Postby Super Luigi! » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't usually play AAA games, but perhaps the price of them should rise until companies notice diminishing returns.
Projects I support:
Spoiler: show
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

Mr Boboo
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: The Wicked Pissah
Current Project: Super Mario & the Journey to Everlast
Chat Username: Roberto

Postby Mr Boboo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Prices wouldn't really matter as much if AAA games felt more like full games. You pay $50-60 for the game but then to get the full experience you also have to pay $5, $10, $20 more on DLC and expansion packs to feel like you got your money's worth.
I shall return with a new episode...... soon.

Check out my Mega Man Maker levels!
Breakneck Quarry: ID 189213
Flash Freeze: Coming soon

I support:

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't play many triple a games because they get too costly and I don't even know if I'll enjoy the game in the first place. It's one thing to spend 20 bucks on a game, not enjoy it as much as you thought you would, and shelve it for the rest of eternity. It's another thing to spend 60-70$ on a game and end up not playing it very much. Sometimes you can get refunds, but usually there's some kind of catch that prevents you from truly getting your money back. Other times you simply can't refund it at all, because technically there isn't anything wrong with it.

I stick with retro games because I've realized I'm sitting on 20+ years of amazing games at little to no cost. I even buy them when I can get them at a decent price. I have plenty GC and Wii games and most of them cost around 10-20$. I also bought a shit ton of virtual console games, which go from 5$ to 20$ depending on the system. When they get too expensive and I can't get them through VC I emulate. That way I can play them my way and still support the company's who produce them.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Too many things atm! Welp! :(
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Yeah, I was shocked to see a masterpiece SNES game (Example: Chrono Trigger* on SNES) and a few underrated SNES games (Example: The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang) to be over 70 dollars.

*Yes, I'm aware Chrono Trigger on SNES is like about $150.00 on Amazon & Ebay btw! :roll:

DJFMHD
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Sticker Star is alright
Chat Username: What do you think?

Postby DJFMHD » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Mario Oddessy and BOTW are the the first triple A games I've bought at full price since New Super Mario Bros. Wii and I'm fine with paying 60 since since triple A is 20% of the games I buy. Now if it's fair to the company's or not I have no idea.
hey

Jerrysmbxworld
Bit
Bit
Flair: Smile
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=20333
Chat Username: Jerry Smbxworld™

Postby Jerrysmbxworld » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Well new games often cost that much, and when the months go by, they often go down on prices
CHECK OUT MY PROJECT!

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 am

If it will spur more discussion here's some questions to talk about: are there better ways to structure game development to keep the same quality, lower the price, and be sustainable? Should DLC and microtransactions get as much attention as they do if it's necessary to support the current structure? Are there bigger anti-consumer practices to focus on like bad intellectual property laws, DRM, restrictive licensing, EULAs, and platform exclusive games? None of these?
Jerrysmbxworld wrote:Well new games often cost that much, and when the months go by, they often go down on prices
It can, but the subject is more to do with the automatic cost of $60 for AAA games and if they should cost more to keep up with demand or restructure to keep the price leveled or lower.

Return to “Video Games”