SMBX Minecraft Server W.I.P. Thread

This is the place for video games!
Danny
Mouser
Mouser

SMBX Minecraft Server W.I.P. Thread

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:30 am

The server will be released December 1st (my birthday), this is pretty much a definite release date!

PROGRESS IS GOING SWIMMINGLY, HERE ARE SOME SCREENSHOTS
The main map/town area is STILL about 90% complete. I'm currently working on the rest of the castle (the dock/port and final section), the town hall and final FREE ITEMS building, and then the walls around the castle. Oh, also, I removed the rule books in the town, as I feel they are not needed. Procrastination sucks!

Server Rules
Spoiler: show
Here is a complete list of the server rules, please follow them well and you will have a good time.
  • 1. Absolutely no griefing! This includes things like destroying others' work or blowing things up with TNT. Placing lava, TNT, or water, or breaking blocks on another person's structures or buildings is considered griefing. You will receive three warnings to stop, and after three warnings, you will be temporarily banned.
  • 2. No inappropriate sculptures or buildings. This includes things like swastikas or penises, or anything that could be offensive to one or more users. If somebody sees something that they think is offensive and they ask you to remove it, please do. If you do not remove the offending object after three warnings, you will be temporarily banned.
  • 3. Try to keep swearing/cursing to a minimum. Even if this is the SMBX Community, I want the server to remain family friendly and mature, so only use foul language in situations where it would be used, just don't go spewing it in general. You can speak perfect English without using cusses all the time. If you do swear/curse to an extensive amount, you may be kicked.
  • 4. If you are caught with an X-Ray texture pack or modification, you will be warned only once to stop, and then temporarily banned afterwards. Continued offenses will result in a permanent ban. Nobody likes a cheater, so why should you cheat yourself?
  • 5. Don't spam the chat. Nobody likes spam, and it just ruins the normal, typical flow of chat. You will be warned and promptly kicked if the offense is repeated, and if the offense is repeated after two warnings, you will be temporarily banned.
  • 6. Do not ask for any staff positions or special privileges from the staff. If the staff sees you as competent, you will be promoted at your consent. The staff will also not give you items for free, the point of the game is to survive yourself. If you need free items, there are certain chests in the main town/hub area that provide you with cookies, beds, wooden tools/weapons, maps of the surrounding area, and wheat seeds. If you are pestering or annoying a staff member, they will have the right to kick you. If you feel a staff member has abused his/her powers, let me know what happened and when it happened so I can bring it up with the offender.
  • 7. Do not shadow mine. If you don't know what the term "shadow mining" is, it means you follow someone like a shadow and steal their loot drops. The term "shadow mining" is used because the offense is most associated with mining itself, but it can be associated with other things, such as monster kills, farming, etc.. If you are caught or reported of shadow mining, you will be questioned for the offense, and if found guilty, you will be warned. If you exceed two warnings, you will be temporarily banned.
  • 8. Do not steal from others! Please don't take anything from the town's bank or any other chest that does not belong to you. If you want precious items kept in a safe location, there are Ender Chests in the town's bank on the upper floor. If somebody reports a stolen item or you steal an item and are caught, you will be issued a warning. Two warnings = Temporary ban.
Server Staff
Me/Dannybud
Ghosthawk
Blue/MegaboyJustice
Vinyl Scratch/DRAG0NKING
TNTtimelord
Here's the W.I.P. thread for the current (and unofficial) SMBX Minecraft server. Brought to you by me. When the server gets released some time this year I will redirect traffic to a new thread to make it official, with the server IP and rules, and so questions about the server can be asked in that thread and not this thread that was used as a W.I.P. suggestion/pre-release box.

The current game plan is that the server will be paid for and will be limited to 25 players, which is fine since I don't think 25 people will be on at any given time. I may expand the amount of player slots if we get enough traffic and if I'm able to fund the server every month. Currently the plan I'm going with is $10 a month for 25 players, which isn't a bad deal in itself, but I don't expect myself to find the money to expand the player slots any more than 25. If you really feel like it, you can donate to the direct funding of the server, but that's only optional and you don't have to do that since I'm not greedy and can pay for it myself mostly. The server will be vanilla, since Bukkit will take eons to set up and it will cost more to run the server itself, so unfortunately no Bukkit or plugins (for now).

There will only be one world, which will be solely Survival focused. The server will have a main hub area where newcomers will spawn, that way they're safe during the night and can venture out in the morning. The main hub is hopefully going to be a little town sort of area, it will be small enough to provide players with plenty of room for adventuring should they choose to stay close to the town itself. The town may have a few services provided, like a place with free cookies should the player need the food, and a place with free wooden pickaxes, axes, shovels, and swords should the player need those at any given time. Creative mode may be given out to players as long as they don't abuse it.

One thing I have in mind is to host server events from time to time, like minigames such as Player versus Player or something else like Skyblock. This would either be on a separate map, or it would be on the survival map, just in a different place far away from players. There might be separate arenas for PvP, and it would probably be a 10 versus 10 or 12 versus 12 game. One thing I might have is a server maintenance occurring once or twice a month just to do a check up on things or something like that, might be during a weekday but I'm not sure yet.

I've been hard at work on this server the past few months, and so far it has gone along nicely. Hope to see you all in game when the server goes up!

If you really want to know, this is just me trying to give my thanks for all this community has done for me, even if they don't recognize it themselves. :)
Last edited by Danny on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 22 times in total.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Magna
Banned

Re: SMBX Minecraft Server?

Postby Magna » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:41 am

I'm in on this, would be fun. One of us should form a server called SMBX and we can all join play around.
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

Danny
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:47 am

Blue Greed wrote:One of us should form a server called SMBX and we can all join play around.
Actually, that is in fact what I created this thread about. I do plan on hosting a somewhat official (it's only official if Joey says it is) Minecraft server for this community, just so we can get together and play games other than SMBX. It's like what reghrhre and I had planned with the old Skype Group, that thing went pretty much official when Quill (as far as I'm aware) joined the team to help out.

The server would possibly have a 50 slot capacity, maybe more or less depending on what my personal server has going on, I want it to have a near-perfect performance (a little server lag never hurts anybody, but if it becomes a severe problem, you'd have to let me know). I'd only start work on this if people like the idea, and once version 1.8 comes out for Minecraft, since I'm not going to bother piecing the server together only to have to go through the struggles of updating it to the latest version, because you have to worry about Bukkit and it's plugins getting their shit together.

Also, I updated the OP with another world that occurred to me.
Last edited by Danny on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Pseudo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 am

Good to see you again, 8bit. You're a good guy.

This is a good idea, and it'd be really fun and great to have a server for the community. Frankly, considering the popularity of Minecraft in the community (especially the "Knuxforums elites") I'm surprised that someone hasn't done this already. I'm in.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Danny
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 am

Pseudo-dino wrote:You're a good guy.
As much as I'm obliged by this, I'd really beg to differ. But that's not relevant right now.

In case anybody is curious, I'm really only setting up the V.I.P. world and donation idea as a test of sorts, because if I do happen to get a few donations to keep the server running (and possibly upgrade the hardware so it has better performance), I might do something special with it. But then again, this is all just an idea and I would highly doubt people in this community would donate to keep a Minecraft server alive (or at least sustain a better performance).

Also, just for future posters, I would love any ideas, recommendations, all of that stuff that I can start jotting down for future reference, that way it helps me when I build the server (and so you aren't just making posts that say you like this idea). What do you guys want to see? Does anything I've said currently look like it needs some more clarification? Do you need more information? Want to know more on my intentions? Just ask me anything, I'm willing to answer the questions and I'd be much grateful for the feedback.

sleepy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby sleepy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:31 am

This is a good idea to me, this might actually get me to play minecraft again! I'm interested, all of your ideas sound good so far.
Regards,
sleepy

IRC Quotes
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul
contact info

CreatorForce
Eerie
Eerie

Postby CreatorForce » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 am

Good Idea

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am

I'm all for this, completely.

You know how I am about Minecraft. If you install WorldEdit for the creative world, you'll see some real awesome shit from me (like on the Escape server. Seriously, you haven't seen awesome until you've seen the forests on my mountain).
The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams
Upon the instruments of death
The sunlight brightly gleams
When every man is torn apart
With nightmares and with dreams
Will no one lay the laurel wreath
When silence drowns the screams

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:47 am

Sure, it'd be fun, overall because the only program I use/play the most other than SMBX is Minecraft.

Megar
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Megar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:35 pm

If this exists I would expand Grape to places even further beyond B)
disgusting

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Don't most of us already frequent Escape? Oh well, seems like a nice idea. Might not be able to keep up with two servers though.

Megar
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Megar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Well, I'd just pop in, build a Grape shop and occasionally check back in.
Only those worthy are allowed in Escape anyway Raster ;)
disgusting

Danny
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Raster wrote:Don't most of us already frequent Escape? Oh well, seems like a nice idea. Might not be able to keep up with two servers though.
Escape isn't directly part of the SMBX Community, it's a private server whereas this would be a little more public, I would only set the white-list in place because I don't want the I.P. address leaked. I would honestly think this server would see a little more activity, seeing as it's target audience is much larger than that of Escape's.

xtremegamer51
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby xtremegamer51 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm

I like the idea of this server a lot actually.Though Im not sure If I would join that much,considering the amount of servers I already join.Though I would still join every once in a while.
Open the door,get on the floor,everybody do the DINOSAUR!
ImageImage
I support...
Irc chat messages of glory.
[20:49] <RedPanda> WHO WANNA PLAY GARRYS MOD M8S!??!
[20:49] <kinoko> I can play MK8
[20:49] <RedPanda> You win
[20:50] <RedPanda> Gotta put that line in my signature

[15:00] <Xtremegamer51> Captain R U Redy 4 Freddeh?
[15:00] <CaptainAmerica> Xtremegamer51 Thanks but I'm not gay.
[15:01] <CaptainAmerica> I don't want to be with Freddy.
I go by the name,RedPanda,and Xtremegamer51 on the IRC chat room. C:

Murphmario
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Murphmario » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Creative World? That's it, I'm in!

But quick question:
Can I make Samus in a bikini? :D
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Pronouns: she/her they/them

Postby Aero » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:20 pm

This sounds cool, it's been awhile since I've been on a good Minecraft Server. Good idea.

Danny
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Murphmario wrote:Creative World? That's it, I'm in!

But quick question:
Your fetish is starting to terrify me a little.

Here's a quick answer. No, unless you're talking about making pixel art just to make pixel art, using the sprite from Metroid 1, then I don't care. If you're going to make it just to fuel your fetish, I wouldn't really allow it, but I guess it doesn't hurt anybody.

Murphmario
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Murphmario » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:08 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:
Murphmario wrote:Creative World? That's it, I'm in!

But quick question:
Your fetish is starting to terrify me a little.

Here's a quick answer. No, unless you're talking about making pixel art just to make pixel art, using the sprite from Metroid 1, then I don't care. If you're going to make it just to fuel your fetish, I wouldn't really allow it, but I guess it doesn't hurt anybody.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Also, please, for the love of God, put some rules in place. Trust me, handling a server with so many users is going to get you a really messy world. Escape did that mistake and we reset our world to clean up.

Danny
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Raster wrote:Also, please, for the love of God, put some rules in place. Trust me, handling a server with so many users is going to get you a really messy world. Escape did that mistake and we reset our world to clean up.
It would take some time setting up, and there would be a lot of rules and guidelines to follow if you want to remain on the server itself.
Don't worry, there will be plenty of rules in place, and I'm hoping to have some staffing there just as a sense of security.

Return to “Video Games”