Microsoft Buys Mojang(+Poll)

This is the place for video games!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

What do you think about all this?

BEST THING EVAH!!11!!1!!111!!!11
No votes
I'm not even sure what the big deal is, all i see is that we're getting more technical support.
12%
Mincraft can only get better, so I don't see the big deal.
18%
Meh Idk
18%
I'm sad, But maybe things will turn out alright...
6%
Blast it all! It all went through.
6%
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
6%
Two Words: Rare, Ware.
35%

Total votes: 17
TangledLion
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Microsoft Buys Mojang(+Poll)

Postby TangledLion » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:26 pm

(I don't know if this is technically a self promo or not, But...)
Not sure if you Heard this but Microsoft is planing to buy Mojang!

Please sign this to Help me prevent this horrible deed!

PETITION

For the sake of Minecraft fans Everywhere, Please Sign And Share!

So it happened, Here are a couple things about it:

Mojang's Official Statement
Notchs' Goodbye Letter

So What do you think of this?
Last edited by TangledLion on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure If I'm gonna come back here...

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: MICROSOFT SHOULD NOT BUY MOJANG(+PETITION)

Postby Aero » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:04 am

To be honest this would be great for their business if they didn't offer $2 billion because that's too much. Ultimately the only "bad" thing I can see are a few ads on the update page and preferential treatment to Windows for optimization.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:22 am

Microsoft buying Mojang did not seem like it would go well to me at first, either, for a variety of reasons, not the least being that support might dwindle a bit for non-Microsoft platforms, but admittedly probably not too much considering Skype. Honestly, I'm not too worried about it if Microsoft takes a pretty much hands-off approach similar to how Amazon handles its properties, and I trust that they will, again because Skype (and probably other Microsoft properties I'm forgetting as well).

Petitions like this are pretty useless anyways, and they're very unlikely to change anything. Not that I discourage you to make them, though, they're a good idea in principle. Overall I agree with GhostHawk however.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

Drluigi
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: MarioMan RPG
Chat Username: Thrusty

Postby Drluigi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 am

I highly agree with Microsoft not buying Mojang. Why? *points at Rareware*
Nintendo Network ID: Drluigi1337
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1934 1615 0864
Steam Profile:

TangledLion
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby TangledLion » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 am

Nanaya Jacob
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: When's Mafia
Current Project: "nothing"
Chat Username: Nanaya Jacob

Postby Nanaya Jacob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 pm

I play minecraft in my ps3, and the reason Microsoft soft want to buy mojang is to ruin people like me from ever getting the chance to play minecraft and also to get a major gaming company for the xbox so screw Xbox >:(
CurrentBIGMOOD11/9/18: show
Don't expect me to do anything SMBX related, I'm only really here for nostalgia and Mafia.
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
1 wrote:Mafia is such a riveting game when you make accusations on Night fucking 1 ain't it?

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Drluigi wrote:I highly agree with Microsoft not buying Mojang. Why? *points at Rareware*
This is kind of a good point, actually, seeing as how it's a whole company that was purchased by Microsoft as opposed to a single product (Skype) and it didn't turn out well. Overall though I wouldn't worry too much though unless they actually screw it up. Again, the petitions are pretty much useless, if there's a deal to buy Mojang it's probably already gone through.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I highly disagree with Microsoft buying Mojang. There is no telling that they will continue support for all OS. I feel that if Microsoft buys Mojang, all Mac and Linux users will be terribly upset, because Microsoft might discontinue Minecraft and other Mojang games for other OS. Mojang should work out a deal stating that Minecraft will have to remain equal on all OS, and that Windows can't favor their own OS when it comes to updates, patches, etc. That, and no advertising of Windows on the Minecraft splash page, because that would be completely unfair to Microsoft's competitors. I don't agree when companies buy other companies that were originally intended for multi-OS or console support, as popular programs being taken over by one company would give the company a bad reputation from users of other companies

Nien
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Nien » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:06 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:I highly disagree with Microsoft buying Mojang. There is no telling that they will continue support for all OS. I feel that if Microsoft buys Mojang, all Mac and Linux users will be terribly upset, because Microsoft might discontinue Minecraft and other Mojang games for other OS. Mojang should work out a deal stating that Minecraft will have to remain equal on all OS, and that Windows can't favor their own OS when it comes to updates, patches, etc. That, and no advertising of Windows on the Minecraft splash page, because that would be completely unfair to Microsoft's competitors. I don't agree when companies buy other companies that were originally intended for multi-OS or console support, as popular programs being taken over by one company would give the company a bad reputation from users of other companies
Serves those people right for not being part of the glorious windows pc masterrace.

In all seriousness, i've never given enough shits for minecraft getting continued since i don't have anything else other than a computer to play it (i have a nokia cellphone get fokn rekt scrubs). i really don't think mojang's updates about like...bigger flowers are very game changing.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Kids only thinking about business moves on a consumer level ITT

Nevermind that right now these are "talks" and not "moves", a petition? Really? Name me a petition that has done anything. You can't, because they don't, because they're usually done by whiny kids who do not have a whole grasp on the situation, and even when filled up, the bigwig looking at it just goes, "Well that's nice," and puts it through the shredder.

Anyway, Micro$oft wouldn't destroy your precious Minecraft, per se. This is because it's already done. Unless they want to lose a TON OF MONEY THEY COULD GET they won't monetize it any worse than reasonable levels. It's not like your Minecraft isn't without things to spend money monthly on anyway. (Realms)
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 pm

DarkMatt wrote:Name me a petition that has done anything. You can't, because they don't, because they're usually done by whiny kids who do not have a whole grasp on the situation, and even when filled up, the bigwig looking at it just goes, "Well that's nice," and puts it through the shredder.
This is a thing, those are petitions: http://www.change.org/victories

Name me a company that has done anything like that. You can't, because you can't prove that they do unless you worked and experienced first hand that ever happening. There is a thing called "taking into consideration", and whether the billion dollar businesses do that or not is beyond our knowledge, but it could very well be something they do, they don't always throw things out the window, especially if it's a complaint or petition signed by several thousand people.

Also, petitions aren't all done by whiny kids, I'd actually like you to point me in the direction of where I might find some of these "whiny kid petitions". Yes, the petition that OP linked can be seen as a whiny kid petition, and 100 signatures for such a petition isn't going to stop anything from happening.

In reply to the topic, there are pros and cons to Microsoft purchasing Mojang. One pro would be more support for Windows, quite obviously, but a major con is dropping support for other systems and companies. $2 billion for Mojang seems reasonable, given how much Minecraft has sold which in turn has skyrocketed Mojang's net worth, it's only fair to purchase such a successful company, especially since they've only really made one game that has given them this sense of victory, I can imagine other companies wanting to feed off its success.

Microsoft already has a part of Mojang's sales in several different ways, such as the XBox version of Minecraft. If Microsoft does fall through and purchase Mojang, expect support for Apple, Linux, and Sony to drop significantly as their focus would be delivering to their own products (XBox and Windows). I'm sure the Microsoft Mojang would become just Minecraft focused, and Scrolls would be dropped entirely (is it even an active game? I'm not sure anymore).

Given Microsoft's track record with purchasing game companies, especially RareWare/Rare, I don't see them making any improvements upon Mojang/Minecraft except support for Microsoft systems of course. As much as I don't want to see Mojang, an indie company, handed over to a billion dollar business figure, Microsoft, it may very well happen, and it might be a mistake.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Drluigi wrote:I highly agree with Microsoft not buying Mojang. Why? *points at Rareware*
That's different. Rare was actually good. Mojang isn't.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Ace wrote:
Don't forget your opinions will have an impact on humanity and your reputation.

Also regardless of both companies being good or not, Microsoft will still ruin them.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

Nanaya Jacob
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: When's Mafia
Current Project: "nothing"
Chat Username: Nanaya Jacob

Postby Nanaya Jacob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:50 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:
Ace wrote:
Don't forget your opinions will have an impact on humanity and your reputation.

Also regardless of both companies being good or not, Microsoft will still ruin them.
You don't say... look at mircosoft did to killer instinct... made it not very cool clone and left out nearly everything that made killer instinct, KILLER INSTINCT, and banjo kazooie, you don't hear much about them any more.
CurrentBIGMOOD11/9/18: show
Don't expect me to do anything SMBX related, I'm only really here for nostalgia and Mafia.
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
1 wrote:Mafia is such a riveting game when you make accusations on Night fucking 1 ain't it?

TangledLion
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby TangledLion » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Well it seems this point is moot anyway since Notch issued a public statement saying if Mojang was bought out he would leave, so I Guess the sale is off.

Also, to Clarify some things about the petition:

@8-Bit It would not let me put any more or less than 100 backers
@DarkMatt Mojang is a company that cares about it's customers, by showing them people don't want this, they are less likely to do this. Also Realms is completely optional, you can also play on Non-Mojang servers.

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:20 pm

This is good because we're going to get better Windows support for Minecraft probably and better Realms since Microsoft can use their servers. That petition is redundant.

Nien
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Nien » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Stating my point again

Don't complain that you're not going to be able to play a videogame after having an OS that has almost nonexistant gaming support.

I'm actually looking forward to this, if they make minecraft more compatible with the pc, it would maybe fix a lot of technical issues.

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Maybe they'll ditch OpenGL completely and make Minecraft entirely DirectX.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Raster wrote:Maybe they'll ditch OpenGL completely and make Minecraft entirely DirectX.
I thought DirectX was kill.
Nien wrote:Stating my point again

Don't complain that you're not going to be able to play a videogame after having an OS that has almost nonexistant gaming support.

I'm actually looking forward to this, if they make minecraft more compatible with the pc, it would maybe fix a lot of technical issues.
This. Macs aren't really known for their gaming community so I'm sure the few thousand people that game on a Mac *cringes* will just have to invest in a real computer. Same thing goes for Linux but I doubt anyone using that OS gives two shits about Minecraft.
TangledLion wrote:@DarkMatt Mojang is a company that cares about it's customers, by showing them people don't want this, they are less likely to do this.
Like that time Mojang listened to its customers about it's new EULA and the criticism from the Bukkit staff about it?
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 pm

TangledLion wrote:Well it seems this point is moot anyway since Notch issued a public statement saying if Mojang was bought out he would leave, so I Guess the sale is off.
Does anyone even care about Notch?

Return to “Video Games”