Wooden Dock Harbour(upadated link)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
icez
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Super Mario:The Rise of Darknesss

Wooden Dock Harbour(upadated link)

Postby icez » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Another one of my old levels its called wooden dock harbour enjoy(upadated link to include the music for the inside of the house)

Screen
Spoiler: show
Dl
Last edited by icez on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Re: Wooden Dock Harbour

Postby sezixor » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:28 pm

I remember this level from your project "Mario Quest" from so long ago. Pretty cool level from an interesting project.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Wooden Dock Harbour(upadated link)

Postby as303298 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:33 am

My Review:

Atmosphere [3/5]
Let's define harbour right now: a place on the coast where vessels may find shelter, especially one protected from rough water by piers, jetties, and other artificial structures.
To take this into consideration, I find it incredibly hard to believe that this level didn't incorporate ships, water sections or really gave me the impression that this level was in fact a harbour of anything.

However, using this word as a verb, you hit the nail on the head. All of the random houses was a neat touch, but I still found the lack of any ships or usage of water a troubling thing for this level.

Level Design [3/5]
-Level had secrets, but was devoid of any challenge to really figure them out. Typically, designers fall short on either making a secret of making it obvious enough for the player to figure out. Whereas...this level gave you the problem and solution within half a minute of each other. If you want to make a secret, please be sure it is either a challenge or more rewarding outside of broken english and All Caps Talking Toads In Houses.
-Level was incredibly linear and didn't really incorporate water into the level that well. Most of the time going in the water was a complete waste of time, which is bad as a design choice. I recommend making a section section to promote more water usage and maybe have a secret exit tied to this.
-You can swim under the world and go over barriers that extend to the top of the screen. To eliminate level-breaking bugs like this you need to place at least two blocks off screen to ensure the player can't go out of bounds.

Note, unrelated to the review's grading, get your levels proofread by an english speaking user. There were a lot of spelling and grammatical errors in your toad's speech bubbles.

Graphical Continuity [5/5]
No issues aside the SMW signs in a SMB3 level. But, this is such a minor issue that I am not docking points off.

BGO Placement [1/5]
Only three BGOs were used:
-Fences were used way too much and became way too repetitive. If you use a BGO too much it is pretty much a staple and thus defeats the purpose of its own existence.
-Wooden columns were way too predictable and repetitive. You could've really gotten creative in their placement but did nothing short of just placing a giant line of them.
-Why are there giant bushes on wood? This makes no sense whatsoever.

NPC Placement [5/5]
While linear and slightly dull, I would say your NPC placement is pretty good for a "Level 3" in a project. So, knowing this, I will not comment any further.

Difficulty / Replayability [3/5]
I loved playing this once, but the level gives me no reason to play again. It offered nothing special aside a typical SMB3 Wood level that went right...thats it. Try to not make a level this level..because just going right has gotten beyond stale in Nintendo's normal levels.

Overall Score: 20/30
Final Score: 6.66/10
Judgement: Pretty Good
Video:
Spoiler: show
The SMBX Let's Player, as303298 / Wraith Admanknight
Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/as303298?feature=mhee

Return to “Pretty Good”