Crazy Cavern Caper (V2)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Crazy Cavern Caper (V2)

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Well, here you are folks, the first ever level I will release to the public, and probably the only one I will as well. Hope you enjoy it.

Worked on this for a total of 9+ hours. Pretty simple cave level with SMW graphics and DKC music. This level will be featured in The Gate to Star Land, my work-in-progress short episode. Hope you like it. Report any bugs you find to me.

Images
Spoiler: show
Download Here!

Version 1
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Re: Crazy Cavern Caper

Postby FanofSMBX » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 pm

I love that seaweed!
How'd you make the background transparent like the water? I thought transparency didn't really work well in SMBX?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:How'd you make the background transparent like the water? I thought transparency didn't really work well in SMBX?
Actual transparency doesn't work well. The cave background with the water hue doesn't have any background objects, it's all one background replacing the Ghost House background. I got a blue colored and added some transparency to it, and then layered it over the actual cave background.

The background is just the normal SMW cave background, only the pixels now have an added blue hue to them.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 pm

It was a pretty decent level. I didn't care too much for the blind jump in the lava section, and it isn't a good idea to use slopes around pipes:

Other than that, your graphic choices blended perfectly with each other and everything seemed to fit together into a great level. The different shades of water are also a nice touch too! I'm also glad you didn't overdo the switch gimmick, very nice design. :)

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:23 pm

GhostHawk wrote:It was a pretty decent level. I didn't care too much for the blind jump in the lava section, and it isn't a good idea to use slopes around pipes
I hadn't realized it was that much of a blind jump, I'll have to fix that later. I also didn't realize I used slopes around the pipe, but oh well.
Other than that, your graphic choices blended perfectly with each other and everything seemed to fit together into a great level. The different shades of water are also a nice touch too! I'm also glad you didn't overdo the switch gimmick, very nice design. :)
Thanks!

Veudekato
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: in progress

Postby Veudekato » Thu May 01, 2014 4:08 am

good level for first (in public)
Realy long.)
good job.
section 1 are easy foe me)
- (my screen made with PlatGEnWohl)
My channel (news about PlatGEnWohl , PlatGEnWohl tutorials,LunaDll ,and SMBX tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

If you want to make full screenshot of your level (big screenshot - screen of whole section) , just tell me via PM!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:26 am

Here is my review, I am no level judge, but I hope to be one

Review
The level was very well overall. I actually like the bonus rooms with the 33% chance for a coin, a 1-up, or a Fire Flower. I got every NPC and Coin in the level as well. I only missed four coins and two enemies. The Coins a block over the Skull raft is not a good idea personally, since the player has to jump for them, even with a power up. Coins are not worth getting killed over. The Blind jump at the end of the lava section is a little hard if you jump off of the Skull Raft first, so you may want to give the player some kind of warning other than the fact they can see part of the bottom path. [Top of the Lava]. Also, Section 18 with the Spiny is a little bit difficult, but seeing what the reward is, and compared to the difficulty of the rest of the level, it fits nicely. Also, the Music sounds like it fits in, so there is also a Plus.

Music: 9/10 The music fits in very nicely for the Water/Cave theme of the level, but not so much when it comes to the lava section.
Atmosphere/realism: 7/10 - Lava plus water?
Game-play: 7/10 One blind jump and coin placement can hurt some players, It plays nicely, but I was almost killed aiming for every coin. The blind jump is why you lost so many points here.
Architecture: 7/10 no significance in this level This is how it looks geographically and if the placement of blocks fits or not. Sector 6 may be iffy, but I can see how this would look if it was a real place, so you have a Plus there.
Graphics/appearance: 5/10 You used mostly default graphics, but the few custom ones you did use fits in.
Gimmicks: 4/10 There were no real gimmicks to the level other then the one random item bonus room and spin jumping on the Spines, so I will have to give a lower score in this area.
Level-Design: 8/10 It was Very well made and had a Puzzle felling to it, but had a few difficult jumps in sector 4.
Bias Percentage: 5% If this is your very first Public level, you deserve some credit, but I can not change the score for that, Nice job tough!

Total 47/70 or 6.714285714.../10 Clean score: 6.71
Last edited by Valtteri on Thu May 01, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed spoiler

ImageImageImage

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Thu May 01, 2014 10:39 am

According to a few people, the blind jump is a problem, so I'll fix that up later today. I also don't know which coins would be dangerous to reach, I didn't really place them in areas that would hurt the player much, besides the ones around the lava, which can be fixed.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Thu May 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Updated to Version 2, which fixes up a couple of bugs, adds a few new tidbits, and fixes the blind jump in the lava section.

Download Here!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Re: Crazy Cavern Caper (V2)

Postby TLtimelord » Fri May 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Did you make that seaweed yourself?
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Fri May 02, 2014 5:55 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:Did you make that seaweed yourself?
Yes, I did. It's really only the SMB3 Seaweed recoloured with SMW colours, so it's pretty simple. But it blends well with SMW.

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:06 pm

My playthrough of this Level:

Original YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYIbWZW70DI

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Fri May 02, 2014 10:41 pm

I noticed an error with the bonus room, and that you only got a single coin from it. I'll have to go back through and fix that up.

Eden
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby Eden » Mon May 05, 2014 5:18 pm

I admire your abilty to make a level with a lot of space and to not crowd it with things. It really breaths and I think that's one of the things that make it so enjoyable to play

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Tue May 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Alright, I've fixed up a couple of things with the level, and I will release the third (and hopefully final) version of the level with my episode I'm working on.

Maruiki
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Maruiki » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:32 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Here is my review, I am no level judge, but I hope to be one

Review
The level was very well overall. I actually like the bonus rooms with the 33% chance for a coin, a 1-up, or a Fire Flower. I got every NPC and Coin in the level as well. I only missed four coins and two enemies. The Coins a block over the Skull raft is not a good idea personally, since the player has to jump for them, even with a power up. Coins are not worth getting killed over. The Blind jump at the end of the lava section is a little hard if you jump off of the Skull Raft first, so you may want to give the player some kind of warning other than the fact they can see part of the bottom path. [Top of the Lava]. Also, Section 18 with the Spiny is a little bit difficult, but seeing what the reward is, and compared to the difficulty of the rest of the level, it fits nicely. Also, the Music sounds like it fits in, so there is also a Plus.

Music: 9/10 The music fits in very nicely for the Water/Cave theme of the level, but not so much when it comes to the lava section.
Game-play: 7/10 One blind jump and coin placement can hurt some players, It plays nicely, but I was almost killed aiming for every coin. The blind jump is why you lost so many points here.
Architecture: 7/10 no significance in this level This is how it looks geographically and if the placement of blocks fits or not. Sector 6 may be iffy, but I can see how this would look if it was a real place, so you have a Plus there.
Graphics/appearance: 5/10 You used mostly default graphics, but the few custom ones you did use fits in.
Gimmicks: 4/10 There were no real gimmicks to the level other then the one random item bonus room and spin jumping on the Spines, so I will have to give a lower score in this area.
Level-Design: 8/10 It was Very well made and had a Puzzle felling to it, but had a few difficult jumps in sector 4.
Bias Percentage: 5% If this is your very first Public level, you deserve some credit, but I can not change the score for that, Nice job tough!

You have to submit a review to Joey with a final score out of 10. You don't have to have all of these complex numbers anyway, it's highly
unnecessary. Also, Joey stated that scores will be rounded down when determining placements.
[23:27] <Yoshibrothers> Joey is a hippopotamus
[23:27] <Yoshibrothers> his ass is huge but his tits are terrible

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Maruiki wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Here is my review, I am no level judge, but I hope to be one

Review

You have to submit a review to Joey with a final score out of 10. You don't have to have all of these complex numbers anyway, it's highly
unnecessary. Also, Joey stated that scores will be rounded down when determining placements.
I think regular users can submit reviews if they wish, they don't have to be a level judge.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 am

Crazy Cavern Caper by 8bitmushroom

Atmosphere 8/10: The level’s atmosphere was just wow! I really liked the music you used and the GFXs weren’t a huge problem to me. It was fully SMW styled IMO and really liked the water BG you used in one of the sections. But I got a complain and that’s the level kinda had a lack of BGOs. I’d suggest adding the cave BGOs Valtteri used in Return to Dinosaur Land. I kept bugging me a lot and you should really fix that. Overall I liked the atmosphere.

Gameplay 8/10: This level had a really good gameplay. It was puzzle based IMO by using the SMW switches. But watch out. It’s a overused gimmick and it’s kinda boring, but the way you used was pretty neat, but you could’ve used other gimmicks IMO. But I really liked the NPC placement a lot. It was really good, but the Coin placement was bad too. So overall I’m giving ya 8/10 in gameplay.

Level Design 9/10: The design of this level was really different than in SMW. I really liked the level design a lot! It went from a water based area then to a lava area. The lava area was probably my favorite section in the whole level. You nailed the design. The sections weren’t bad at all, but it could have some improvements. You could’ve added more sections, but overall I really liked the design. That’s why I’m giving ya 8/10.

So overall I’m giving ya 8/10 on this level. It was a really cool level 8bit. Just fix what I mentioned and I’ll probably re-review it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Level Review

Crazy Cavern Caper by Danny(TM)

Overview/First Impression
This level is a SMW-styled cave level that is composed mostly of large rooms. About half the level is underwater, but overall I wouldn't quite call it a water level. The level is somewhat linear, but that aspect is mostly drowned out by the switch aspect. The graphics are all SMW styled (or at least colored). My first impression was pretty good overall, although the level didn't seem very unique.
Score: 7.6/10

Gameplay/Level Design
The level was of medium difficulty, but some areas suggested easier or harder than others. The level was overall designed well, although I'd personally tweak a few sections to reduce the size by around 15%. I felt like I was taking a road trip a few times because of the travelling time between two points. Overall, the level was mostly fun, but there are a few boring areas.
Score: 7.8/10

Graphics
The graphics were SMW styled, nothing all that special. I noticed a few pipes were SMB3 pipes with SMW colors, which stood out a bit, but overall there's not much to review here. I would advise a bit more emphasis on CGFX, even recolors/enhancements would make the level stand out.
Score: 8.2/10

Music
The music here really stood out compared to other levels which use default music (example: Magmatic Cave). The music seemed a bit peaceful at first, but then again, it's a cave, not an upbeat grassland or an adventurous mountain. I really enjoyed the choice of tunes here.
Score: 10/10

NPC/Coin Placement
The NPCs were, for the most part, fairly placed. There were two exceptions: the lava area and the underwater areas. The lava area was lacking; seeing an enemy was rare. That area could do with some more Blaargs, as well as more Spinies. The underwater areas were quite the opposite; there were enemies everywhere. I found myself getting creative a few times to escape the endless Cheep Cheeps and obnoxious Bloopers. The land areas were virtually perfect in this area, however. I found very few, if not none at all, flaws in the enemy placement on land.
Score: 7/10

Overall
The level was pretty good, but by no means great. I can see your specialty doesn't necessarily lie in cave levels, but a bit more practice could render your level-making at the same tier as famous level-makers like Chad and reghrhre.

OVERALL SCORE: 8.12

Good job, and hopefully you release more levels (even though you said you probably wouldn't)!

Return to “Pretty Good”