1-1 - Natural Plains

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Cacazk
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Super Mario The Domination

1-1 - Natural Plains

Postby Cacazk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Hello :D ! This is the level 1-1 of The Domination, and I am very happy to have finished it!

Screens:
Spoiler: show

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d7qg8 ... Plains.rar

I hope you enjoy ;) !

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: 1-1 - Natural Plains

Postby JupiHornet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Level downloaded, review should come tomorrow
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: none
Chat Username: Ludwig

Postby Erik » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Unofficial review on 1-1 Natural Plains by caiozk

Ludwig von Koopa (9.3 (the best))
Wow, this is a really great level, nice tileset, great music (It's KRTDL). This level was just great, it's like one of the best grass levels I ever played. The layout is similar to Super Mario Star Expedition, which is my favourite episode at the moment so take it as a compliment. It also has good NPC placement. Keep this up and you will have a great episode.
Last edited by Erik on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:Unofficial review on 1-1 Natural Plains by caiozk

Ludwig von Koopa (9.8 (the best))
Wow, this is a really great level, nice tileset, great music (It's KRTDL). This level was just great, it's like one of the best grass levels I ever played. The layout is similar to Super Mario Star Expedition, which is my favourite episode at the moment so take it as a compliment. Keep this up and you will have a great episode.
Really, you should talk about more aspects of this level. Why is it good? The only things you said were that you liked the layout, and the Music. What about the NPC placement? Atmosphere? Gimmicks? Have a look at one of Turtwig's or Choco's reviews. Those should help.

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: none
Chat Username: Ludwig

Postby Erik » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Waddle Derp wrote:
Ludwig von Koopa wrote:Unofficial review on 1-1 Natural Plains by caiozk

Ludwig von Koopa (9.8 (the best))
Wow, this is a really great level, nice tileset, great music (It's KRTDL). This level was just great, it's like one of the best grass levels I ever played. The layout is similar to Super Mario Star Expedition, which is my favourite episode at the moment so take it as a compliment. Keep this up and you will have a great episode.
Really, you should talk about more aspects of this level. Why is it good? The only things you said were that you liked the layout, and the Music. What about the NPC placement? Atmosphere? Gimmicks? Have a look at one of Turtwig's or Choco's reviews. Those should help.
I've told about the atmosphere but thanks

LordKofu
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: The Antique Secret of the Four Coins

GOOD JOB!

Postby LordKofu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Unofficial Review by LordKofu (1-1 Natural Plains by caiozk)

DESIGN - 9/10

It was really, really fun to play. There were just enough enemies to make the level difficult without spamming them. The NPC placement overall was very clever and it seems like you really thought about every single placed enemy. The coin placement was really nice too, and I especially liked the big coins replacing the Dragon Coins, as they really fit in with the environment. I liked the overall level idea, although I think it lacked something special - you know, a gimmick, something to differentiate this level from other, similar grassland levels. Also, I think there should be a checkpoint in the fourth or fifth section, as the level is quite long.
I overall appreciate the work you put in the level. I couldn't find any flaws in terms of cutoff or clash at all.

RESOURCES - 9/10

The custom graphics really fit the overall tone of the level. The different GFX didn't clash and fit in with each other. The little things like the vertically jumping cheep cheeps brought the level to life.
The music fit the level too, although it got annoying near the end of the level.

OVERALL - 90/100 ; 9/10

Also, how can I get to the secret star at the end? I couldn't figure it out, really.

Good job.
If you notice any grammar errors or other language mistakes, please notify me.

My minisode: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 36&t=13815

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Postby Man1234FK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:20 pm

LordKofu wrote: Also, how can I get to the secret star at the end? I couldn't figure it out, really.
I flew up there with the raccoon power.

Also, awesome level, definitely deserves the 9/10, hell, i'd give it a 10/10 as i think i'ts perfect for a first level! The look and the flow of the level is so nice and the difficulty is just right to be fitting for a first level but still be interesting and not boring.
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Cacazk
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Super Mario The Domination

Postby Cacazk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Man1234FK wrote:
LordKofu wrote: Also, how can I get to the secret star at the end? I couldn't figure it out, really.
I flew up there with the raccoon power.
Yes it is with the power of raccoon.
Man1234FK wrote:Also, awesome level, definitely deserves the 9/10, hell, i'd give it a 10/10 as i think i'ts perfect for a first level!.
This note is very high, is what I myself think :lol: ,because I myself do not know if this is the best level I've ever done. But Thanks to all for good grades and the reviews :D !

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Postby Yogi_Bear » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:13 pm

I have to agree with the previous statements! This level is darn near perfect in my opinion. For the first level of an episode, its the right difficulty, length, and has the right amount of secrets/extras. The atmosphere is very peaceful, and the graphics all fit nicely imo. My sound is all screwed up so I cant give a good rating on the music, but it doesnt seem that bad from what I can tell.

The star at the end is pretty neat, since it is so close to being in reach that it seems like you could just jump up there.
The jumping fishes, exploding coin things, and floaty SMB3 wood platforms added just the right amount of gimmick to the level, while not making it overwhelming for a first level. I have to say 9/10 as well. I only take off one point because I cant figure out why the pipe at the very end is there, and while it did pose an interesting part with a "dragon" coin attached to one, Bloopers are annoying for a first level. (though you do have their movement pretty limited in the shallow water, so maybe its not a big deal)
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

AirShip
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: The Flying Ghost
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22332
Chat Username: AirSheep

Postby AirShip » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:07 am

Natural Plains - Review By AirShip
Natural Plains is a beautiful level 1-1, with good looks and beautiful design, the NPCs are well placed, although I find that cheep cheep place hopping on one level 1-1 is a bit exaggerated, otherwise, all other NPCs are in the right quantity and in correct locations.

The stage has an excess coins (202), is a large number if we consider that is stage one of the episode, to also power-ups galore (4 Fire Flowers and Leaves 3), this is too much for any level .

The music does not fit 100% with the level, I would give a score of 3/5,I know songs that shall go more fit with this level.

The level is medium in size, a duration of 2-3 minutes, perfect size for this kind of level, the level also features gimmick interesting, the "Purple Star Coin" when collected, it generates a small amount of coins in your back, the effect you still put it is very beautiful and can make everything more harmonious.

The only graphical error I found was this:

Good things:
-level Simple and well done
-Gimmick creative

Bad things:
-Excess of coins to a level 1-1 (202 coins)
-Excess Power-ups (7)
-Music Does not fit 100% with the level.
-Small Graphical errors in the slopes

Natural Plains
7.5/10

Believe in the me that believe in you!

The ABC of Creation

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:48 am

Well, it seems that the consensus is that this is a good level, and for a level that's supposed to be the first in an episode, that is quite an accomplishment. Not only are the block and NPC placements well done (there are even more than 3 enemy types in the level!!), but the purple coin that explodes into smaller coins is neat and something I haven't seen before. The checkered waterfall is also a clever design choice; it gives the waterfall a transparency effect without using SMBX's crappy transparency effect (even if you didn't make that graphic, it's still clever). There's even a star in the level that isn't secret, but still makes the player think for a bit about how to get it. In fact, I only found 3 flaws in the level: the first is the random pipe at the end that doesn't lead anywhere that Yogi_Bear mentioned; not only is it clearly free from having a Piranha Plant (implying that it does lead somewhere), but the section sets itself to put the pipe in the player's view when he/she gets the exit, further drawing attention to it. I recommend removing the pipe and the event that sets the section. The second flaw I noticed is that the dragon coin Blooper isn't attached to the second dragon coin sprite-swap, meaning the coin just appears in the pool instead of in the spot where the dragon coin Blooper was killed. The third flaw involves the indecisive grey outline on the tile-set. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't, and it's not limited to the slope tiles that AirShip pointed out, either; block-62 and block-64 also have an inconsistent border, but the cause of their inconsistency is the lack of a proper mask sprite as opposed to a proper grey outline.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Music fits the level well.
-Block and NPC placement is done well.
-Well-executed uniqueness (exploding purple star coins).
-Variety of enemies relative to the average "first level."
-The checkered waterfall is clever.
-Clever star placement.

BAD:
-The level actively makes a pointless pipe seem suspicious.
-Dragon coin Blooper isn't attached to its respective dragon coin.
-The tile-set's inconsistent grey border.

In conclusion: Although there isn't much to make this level stand out from many other levels, it has enough of a variety of enemies to prevent it from being another average "first level." Plus, it's one of the least flawed levels I've ever played, so I'd say this deserves a 7/10.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Return to “Pretty Good”