Billy Mountain Hike

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:23 pm

So yesterday i got a huge inspiration for a mountain level while listening to the Mount Lineland song and this happened :D
I tried to make this level again a bit more difficult than my normal levels, hope you enjoy!



Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjtru17l6hwoo ... 9.zip?dl=0

!!Updates!!
-There's now a toad telling you about the climbable rocks
-Less narrow spaces
-Less enemies
-Less pipes
-Even less enemies
-Even less narrow/cramped spaces
-Less coins
-Better indications for the secret areas
-Checkpoint is now at the end of section 1



Screenshots!
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image

All the graphics are from Sednaiur but i recolored some of the Piranha Plants red.


Thanks to Turtwig and Kep for reviewing the level, much appreciated!

(Also, huge thanks to Emral again for helping with the level name, u the MVP)
Last edited by Man1234FK on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

User avatar
RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby RoundPiplup » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:49 pm

The theme seems to fit well with the SMB1 NPCs. Seems to look like a level that will be enjoyable.
The Past still haunts me.
Spoiler: show
Image

Image
...

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:51 pm

RoundPiplup wrote:The theme seems to fit well with the SMB1 NPCs. Seems to look like a level that will be enjoyable.
Thanks a lot!
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of BILLY MOUNTAIN HIKE by MAN1234FK

Good thing I happened to be at my computer when you posted this, eh? ;)

Design (8/10)
This was a nice and short mountain level. It was rather enjoyable, fitting for about World 3-4 difficulty. My only problems here are about indication. On top of being hard to see, the rocks that you use to climb aren't indicated well, so I didn't know that you could climb them until I got to the spot with the two Paratroopas. Also, there was yet another hidden path in this level, but I couldn't tell that you were supposed to go there (this was me being stupid, though.) Aside from this, the level was pretty solid.

Atmosphere (9.9/10)
Whoa, man. This level looks fantastic! The SMB1 graphics are great for a mountain level (which doesn't happen often,) the music was very enjoyable, and the level was all-around very relaxing and fun to play. But as I said, the climbing rocks are hard to see, and aren't indicated well, so you lose 0.1 points here.

Other Comments: Just who is Billy, anyway?

Overall 8.95/10 (SO CLOSE Pretty Good)
This was a very enjoyable and beautiful mountain level! Keep up the good work! :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 am
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Squishy Rex » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Turtwig wrote:Other Comments: Just who is Billy, anyway?
Probably refers to the Bill Blasters/Bullet Bills, or could be a reference to Billy Goats or goats in general which are a common mountainous animals.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Image
Coming soon!

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:44 am

Turtwig wrote:
Spoiler: show
UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of BILLY MOUNTAIN HIKE by MAN1234FK

Good thing I happened to be at my computer when you posted this, eh? ;)

Design (8/10)
This was a nice and short mountain level. It was rather enjoyable, fitting for about World 3-4 difficulty. My only problems here are about indication. On top of being hard to see, the rocks that you use to climb aren't indicated well, so I didn't know that you could climb them until I got to the spot with the two Paratroopas. Also, there was yet another hidden path in this level, but I couldn't tell that you were supposed to go there (this was me being stupid, though.) Aside from this, the level was pretty solid.

Atmosphere (9.9/10)
Whoa, man. This level looks fantastic! The SMB1 graphics are great for a mountain level (which doesn't happen often,) the music was very enjoyable, and the level was all-around very relaxing and fun to play. But as I said, the climbing rocks are hard to see, and aren't indicated well, so you lose 0.1 points here.

Other Comments: Just who is Billy, anyway?

Overall 8.95/10 (SO CLOSE Pretty Good)
This was a very enjoyable and beautiful mountain level! Keep up the good work! :D
Thank you so much! (and yes, a very good thing ;))

Yeah i thought about the rocks being hard to see, i think i'll put signs or toads telling you about the rocks then, good point though!
And who Billy is? Well that's just going to be a mistery.
Last edited by bossedit8 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler inside the Quote added
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Current Project: something

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby silent_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:41 pm

In terms of your review, Turtwig: I'm surprised you didn't mention a lot of areas in this level being rather cramped--I found myself falling in pits a lot after hitting ceilings during tight jumps. Also, I can't say I entirely agree with the final score. I thought this deserved a 7.5 or something around that. Too spammy in terms of enemies and cramped for my tastes.

But all in all, cool and unique level, Man1234FK. Loved the tileset and overall atmosphere!
previously known as Kep

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Kep wrote:In terms of your review, Turtwig: I'm surprised you didn't mention a lot of areas in this level being rather cramped--I found myself falling in pits a lot after hitting ceilings during tight jumps. Also, I can't say I entirely agree with the final score. I thought this deserved a 7.5 or something around that. Too spammy in terms of enemies and cramped for my tastes.

But all in all, cool and unique level, Man1234FK. Loved the tileset and overall atmosphere!

Thanks a lot! Also thanks for pointing that out, i'll try to fix the enemies and stuff, do you think the cramped spaces were caused by the pipes or just the ceiling?
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Current Project: something

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby silent_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Man1234FK wrote:
Kep wrote:In terms of your review, Turtwig: I'm surprised you didn't mention a lot of areas in this level being rather cramped--I found myself falling in pits a lot after hitting ceilings during tight jumps. Also, I can't say I entirely agree with the final score. I thought this deserved a 7.5 or something around that. Too spammy in terms of enemies and cramped for my tastes.

But all in all, cool and unique level, Man1234FK. Loved the tileset and overall atmosphere!

Thanks a lot! Also thanks for pointing that out, i'll try to fix the enemies and stuff, do you think the cramped spaces were caused by the pipes or just the ceiling?
The pipes, mostly; but also the ceiling in a few parts.

Speaking of the pipes, I forgot to say--they were really spammy at times. Tone it down a bit, maybe.
previously known as Kep

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Kep wrote:
Man1234FK wrote:
Kep wrote:In terms of your review, Turtwig: I'm surprised you didn't mention a lot of areas in this level being rather cramped--I found myself falling in pits a lot after hitting ceilings during tight jumps. Also, I can't say I entirely agree with the final score. I thought this deserved a 7.5 or something around that. Too spammy in terms of enemies and cramped for my tastes.

But all in all, cool and unique level, Man1234FK. Loved the tileset and overall atmosphere!

Thanks a lot! Also thanks for pointing that out, i'll try to fix the enemies and stuff, do you think the cramped spaces were caused by the pipes or just the ceiling?
The pipes, mostly; but also the ceiling in a few parts.

Speaking of the pipes, I forgot to say--they were really spammy at times. Tone it down a bit, maybe.

Yeah, i was a bit worried about the pipes feeling spammy, but i liked them myself a lot :c But thanks, i'll tweak the level ASAP!
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby JupiHornet » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Kep wrote:
Man1234FK wrote:
Kep wrote:In terms of your review, Turtwig: I'm surprised you didn't mention a lot of areas in this level being rather cramped--I found myself falling in pits a lot after hitting ceilings during tight jumps. Also, I can't say I entirely agree with the final score. I thought this deserved a 7.5 or something around that. Too spammy in terms of enemies and cramped for my tastes.

But all in all, cool and unique level, Man1234FK. Loved the tileset and overall atmosphere!

Thanks a lot! Also thanks for pointing that out, i'll try to fix the enemies and stuff, do you think the cramped spaces were caused by the pipes or just the ceiling?
The pipes, mostly; but also the ceiling in a few parts.

Speaking of the pipes, I forgot to say--they were really spammy at times. Tone it down a bit, maybe.
I liked the pipes ;-;
Also the level was cramped, but not to the point where it hindered the gameplay. I didn't die once in the level.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Turtwig wrote: I liked the pipes ;-;
Also the level was cramped, but not to the point where it hindered the gameplay. I didn't die once in the level.
Yay you liked the pipes! \0/ but now there are a bit less pipes and i raised the roof (XD) in some parts
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

User avatar
RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby RoundPiplup » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:52 pm

The only thing that I would had not enjoyed was getting surrounded by enemies when I start at the checkpoint. The pictures though are probably old, so it's possibly safer now. Yet it's still a fun level to play at most.
The Past still haunts me.
Spoiler: show
Image

Image
...

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

RoundPiplup wrote:The only thing that I would had not enjoyed was getting surrounded by enemies when I start at the checkpoint. The pictures though are probably old, so it's possibly safer now. Yet it's still a fun level to play at most.
I mean the only real hazard at the checkpoint is the koopa, but it walks away from you. You won't get hit unless you jump into the piranha plant or the bullet bill, but i get what you mean. Thanks again too!
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Current Project: something

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby silent_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Billy Mountain Hike - Reviewed by Kep

Design - 8.5
Interesting mountain level with good design. The structure was rather overwhelming, but I won't take any points off for this since this is more of an opinion. The level itself wasn't too long or too short, so that's good. I would, however, move the checkpoint back to the end of section 1, because there wasn't much level after it; the checkpoint felt like a third quarter point. Honestly, I don't know what else to say in terms of design--for once, this is the least important category in a review.

Placement - 3.5
Get prepared for an extremely long paragraph of a bunch of negativity!

You did not do so hot here. There were still waaaay too many pipes; it seems you don't understand the point of them. You don't cluster two/three/four up against each other--you spread them out. This is really what needs work. There was an extreme lack of question blocks and bricks in a lot of points in this level, and there were too much coins (224????). Most of the Bullet Bills and upside down Piranha plants were an absolute nuisance, and the Hammer Bro. guarding the climbable rocks in the first section is nearly impossible to avoid. Speaking of the first section, why did you put a brick under the question block giving you a fire flower? So basically, you need to have a power-up to get a power-up. That's... not how things work. You added clouds in some sections but you added no clouds in other sections. Why is that? Also, just to point out, section 10 and 18 were too cramped still, and part of section 3 was a bit too cramped as well. I managed to find only two out of the three dragon coins--maybe make them a tiny bit easier to get. Like, put coins above/below the pipes the dragon coins are in, maybe. Certain points in section 1 and 4 had too many enemies to the point to where it was overwhelming. There was too much scenery in certain areas (particularly the very end). Lastly, the Bullet Bill top disappears when you hit the ending goal--I don't really know how to tell you to fix this. Maybe move the Bullet Bill Launcher more to the left?

Atmosphere - 7
This level had a cool tileset and a nice background, but it's safe to say the pipe spam and occasional scenery spam ruined the atmosphere a bit. I don't know what else to say.

Overall - 6.3
Earlier I said this level deserved a 7.5, but after averaging the three scores I gave to you, this is apparently worthy of a 6.3. Sorry. I can't do anything about it.

But anyway, nice level. Interesting name, by the way.
Last edited by TLtimelord on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Review Approved
previously known as Kep

User avatar
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Re: Billy Mountain Hike

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Spoiler: show
Kep wrote:Billy Mountain Hike - Reviewed by Kep

Design - 8.5
Interesting mountain level with good design. The structure was rather overwhelming, but I won't take any points off for this since this is more of an opinion. The level itself wasn't too long or too short, so that's good. I would, however, move the checkpoint back to the end of section 1, because there wasn't much level after it; the checkpoint felt like a third quarter point. Honestly, I don't know what else to say in terms of design--for once, this is the least important category in a review.

Placement - 3.5
Get prepared for an extremely long paragraph of a bunch of negativity!

You did not do so hot here. There were still waaaay too many pipes; it seems you don't understand the point of them. You don't cluster two/three/four up against each other--you spread them out. This is really what needs work. There was an extreme lack of question blocks and bricks in a lot of points in this level, and there were too much coins (224????). Most of the Bullet Bills and upside down Piranha plants were an absolute nuisance, and the Hammer Bro. guarding the climbable rocks in the first section is nearly impossible to avoid. Speaking of the first section, why did you put a brick under the question block giving you a fire flower? So basically, you need to have a power-up to get a power-up. That's... not how things work. You added clouds in some sections but you added no clouds in other sections. Why is that? Also, just to point out, section 10 and 18 were too cramped still, and part of section 3 was a bit too cramped as well. I managed to find only two out of the three dragon coins--maybe make them a tiny bit easier to get. Like, put coins above/below the pipes the dragon coins are in, maybe. Certain points in section 1 and 4 had too many enemies to the point to where it was overwhelming. There was too much scenery in certain areas (particularly the very end). Lastly, the Bullet Bill top disappears when you hit the ending goal--I don't really know how to tell you to fix this. Maybe move the Bullet Bill Launcher more to the left?

Atmosphere - 7
This level had a cool tileset and a nice background, but it's safe to say the pipe spam and occasional scenery spam ruined the atmosphere a bit. I don't know what else to say.

Overall - 6.3
Earlier I said this level deserved a 7.5, but after averaging the three scores I gave to you, this is apparently worthy of a 6.3. Sorry. I can't do anything about it.

But anyway, nice level. Interesting name, by the way.
Thanks for the review! I'll fix some of the flaws soon, but i do want to explain some things also. There are clouds only in the last section because it's like the top of the mountain, good point on making the secret areas a bit more easy to find (also there are five dragon coins in the level) and lastly i wanted to make the second power up harder to get since while i was testing the level it was too easy if it wasn't but i understand if it feels stupid :P i'll try to make the sections less cramped, tone the coins down a bit and remove some of the pipes but honestly i like them so much myself that it won't be a lot :D Sorry. But yeah, i'll get to updating the level ASAP, thanks again for the review and the good points!

Oh and you can thank Emral for the name!
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image


Return to “Pretty Good”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest