Ludwig's Lava Labryinth

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
B Dasher
Goomba
Goomba
Current Project: "Koopa Caper" - Pipe Beach

Ludwig's Lava Labryinth

Postby B Dasher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:06 pm

I spent about 10-12 hrs creating it and testing it. I've scattered 5 Dragon coins around the map in some spots which can be slightly difficult-ish to reach, but they're all collectable. I haven't made a castle level yet, so I thought I'd have a go at it, and I think it turned out to be one of my best creations yet! I hope you enjoy what I have made!

Screenshots
Spoiler: show
Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/gmedw ... castle.lvl

ZIkeRIT
Spiny
Spiny

Re: Ludwig's Lava Labryinth

Postby ZIkeRIT » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 am

There is not a lot of cutoffs,but can you use more custom gfx next time?Level is almost good.But please,use custom graphics
I support

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 am

ZIkeRIT wrote:There is not a lot of cutoffs,but can you use more custom gfx next time?Level is almost good.But please,use custom graphics
...And how more custom graphics can help improving this level.
im bored

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 am

My Review:
This was an okay vanilla castle level. It only had a little bit of cutoff, which wasn't too bad. Inside the castle there were a few blocks that didn't seem to fit, such as the forest tiles and the Zelda BGOs in the boss battle. The level also lacked BGOs and was very bland. There was very little NPC variety, but the level was very short, so that kind of made up for it and took away from the rest of the level at the same time. There were also very few coins, and the few that were present in the level had very poor placement. Gameplay was alright, since the level was non-linear, however in some spots spin jumping was required to make it up Thwomps, etc. and couldn't be passed with another character (other than Luigi). The note block part was very annoying and didn't really seem to fit in the level. Bullet Bill shooters would have worked okay in this castle if they were placed with more intent on making the level more challenging, but instead their placement was very random and you would almost have to try to hit them to be hit. The boss battle was very simple, and had torch BGOs from Zelda that really didn't fit. Overall, this level was interesting to play through, but presented few challenges and was often very bland due to its lack of coins, challenging NPC placement, and BGOs.
Overall: 4.7/10

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:30 am

ZIkeRIT wrote:There is not a lot of cutoffs,but can you use more custom gfx next time?Level is almost good.But please,use custom graphics
Stop being obseesed with custom gfx. Vanilla can look good also.

ZIkeRIT
Spiny
Spiny

Postby ZIkeRIT » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:41 am

Tinkerbell wrote:
Stop being obseesed with custom gfx. Vanilla can look good also.
II mean that he need to replace something with something....custom or not.Like a castle..
I support

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: take the dead to

Postby Taker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Dude, Custom GFX is OPTIONAL, and to prove it I'll start a Vanilla level right now, no custom GFX or Custom Music.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Merio wrote:Dude, Custom GFX is OPTIONAL, and to prove it I'll start a Vanilla level right now, no custom GFX or Custom Music.
That probably won't prove anything. Just check out these links to levels from the Spring Vanilla Level Contest:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 32&t=11358
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 32&t=11188

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 am

Ludwig's Lava Labyrinth review
Since it's a vanilla level, I won't seperate atmosphere and design from each other

This level had decent gameplay. It's not a super-fun level, but I still found it enjoyable. The difficulty was alright in my opinion. The music also fits the level well. (would be suprising if not) The dragon coin placements are also clever.
The enemy placement was okay. The level had some minor cutoffs. The level was also a bit too short, but just a bit.
The boss fight can be exploited very easily, the player just has to go to the side of the room and Ludwig can just fall off the edge and die. The rising lava section is also buggy. Never set the rising lava as an auto-start event (or part of the 'Level Start' event), unless it's the starting section. The level also had some clash, but that's not a major problem, since it's a visual flaw. Powerups falling into lava can also cause runtime error, but I won't decrease the score bc of this thing.

Score: 4.75/10
Okay vanilla castle level. (pretty good for an smbx beginner level)
Moved to 'Average'

How to make correct rising lava sections if they're not the first section to play:
Force Mario to collect something, (easiest way: put it on the exit part of the warp, and I recommend using SMB1 axes for that) then set the 'Death' event of that as 'Rising Lava' (or the event that makes the lava moving up) You can't set the 'Rising Lava' event auto-start, and that event cannot be any of the standard events. (so no P-switch events or Level Start event) I think this can solve the problem.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Return to “Average”