Forest of Magic

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
User avatar
litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:10 am

Forest of Magic

Postby litchh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:09 am

I always wanted to create something Super Marisa Land themed.
So, this is exactly it.
All SML objects except shroom & Marisa were recreated by me to 2x2
This version is also has fixed music.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Video playthrough:
Spoiler: show
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vxi9t ... +Magic.zip

User avatar
SONICTEAM
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:03 pm
Chat Username: Snu
Contact:

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby SONICTEAM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:33 am

I like the style of this level! It really has a lot of potential in it! But, to be honest, the level doesn't feel unique gameplay wise, and the stage is bland, like very bland. For example, there is no sceneries whatsoever. Also, the level just follows this pattern al the way through, Walk across a platform, jump to the next one, sometimes with the platforming getting smaller then larger.

To improve, I would suggest trying to make the stage feel more unique, add some pipes, more enimies rather than just fairys and... whatever those blobs were (Sorry, I don't know the name because I don't play the game this is based off of xD), anything! It will make the level a lot more exciting to play. Also, try and add more sceneries to the level, it looks bland without any, adding more would really improve the looks of the level too!

Overall, I would give this level a rating of 3.5.
The level has a lot to improve on in its current state, try and improve the level by how I mentioned above.
Like I said at the top of the post, this level has a lot of potential in it. Good luck on this level if you consider to work on it more!
Image

User avatar
Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:56 pm
Flair: Time to make myself disappear
Chat Username: Yuu-senpai#1659

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Like SONICTEAM said I too think this level has potential to it! The style isn't bad and I think it's pretty cool you did the tile work yourself.

The first thing I'd like to note is the style. The graphics aren't bad, but a little curiosity about the mushrooms that kill you are that they're not the standard 2x2 SMBX graphics are usually done in but 1x1. That just particularly stood out to me and I didn't know if was an oversight but it didn't detract from my experience, just wanted to let you know.

My first issue with this level is going to be lack of scenery. I put it first because I consider good scenery very important in a level and from what I see this level has no background scenery objects. It makes the level look more bland and feel a lot more empty. It doesn't take a copious amount, but a consistent usage of background object will easily add more life to the level and make it look better too.

The next issue I faced was enemy placement. While I will grant you for it being consistent and not spamming (not counting the two "stacks" I noticed during my cursory glance) I feel there should be more variety in the enemies. It's either angels, the circle ones you can jump on or over, or mushrooms you have to avoid. Given that about 90% of the level's enemies are strictly on the ground I feel it's empty. The angels are placed only over any pits so otherwise there is a lack of variety in what you actually face, making an unremarkable level a little more forgettable to me.

On a positive note though I do like your music choice but it would seem much more fitting for a bonus/ secret area or a different type of level.

Overall I feel sad about this level. The potential is there and it's clear you put in the effort to get things done but this needs work. What's been done so far is a good starting point, but changes and additions need to be made to make it much better, imo:

~Adding needed scenery.
~Maybe adding a secret area or a bonus area of some kind.
~Having more types of enemies.
~Changing the main level area's music to something more fitting.

I hope this level is improved because while I didn't have a bad time with it I can't say I really enjoyed it very much. Cheers. ~

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki


PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby PixelPest » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Spoiler: show
Neko-san wrote:Like SONICTEAM said I too think this level has potential to it! The style isn't bad and I think it's pretty cool you did the tile work yourself.

The first thing I'd like to note is the style. The graphics aren't bad, but a little curiosity about the mushrooms that kill you are that they're not the standard 2x2 SMBX graphics are usually done in but 1x1. That just particularly stood out to me and I didn't know if was an oversight but it didn't detract from my experience, just wanted to let you know.

My first issue with this level is going to be lack of scenery. I put it first because I consider good scenery very important in a level and from what I see this level has no background scenery objects. It makes the level look more bland and feel a lot more empty. It doesn't take a copious amount, but a consistent usage of background object will easily add more life to the level and make it look better too.

The next issue I faced was enemy placement. While I will grant you for it being consistent and not spamming (not counting the two "stacks" I noticed during my cursory glance) I feel there should be more variety in the enemies. It's either angels, the circle ones you can jump on or over, or mushrooms you have to avoid. Given that about 90% of the level's enemies are strictly on the ground I feel it's empty. The angels are placed only over any pits so otherwise there is a lack of variety in what you actually face, making an unremarkable level a little more forgettable to me.

On a positive note though I do like your music choice but it would seem much more fitting for a bonus/ secret area or a different type of level.

Overall I feel sad about this level. The potential is there and it's clear you put in the effort to get things done but this needs work. What's been done so far is a good starting point, but changes and additions need to be made to make it much better, imo:

~Adding needed scenery.
~Maybe adding a secret area or a bonus area of some kind.
~Having more types of enemies.
~Changing the main level area's music to something more fitting.

I hope this level is improved because while I didn't have a bad time with it I can't say I really enjoyed it very much. Cheers. ~
If you actually played the level, there is quite the variation in enemies because the different ball enemies (red, white, black, etc.) all do different things.

User avatar
Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:56 pm
Flair: Time to make myself disappear
Chat Username: Yuu-senpai#1659

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:32 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Spoiler: show
Neko-san wrote:Like SONICTEAM said I too think this level has potential to it! The style isn't bad and I think it's pretty cool you did the tile work yourself.

The first thing I'd like to note is the style. The graphics aren't bad, but a little curiosity about the mushrooms that kill you are that they're not the standard 2x2 SMBX graphics are usually done in but 1x1. That just particularly stood out to me and I didn't know if was an oversight but it didn't detract from my experience, just wanted to let you know.

My first issue with this level is going to be lack of scenery. I put it first because I consider good scenery very important in a level and from what I see this level has no background scenery objects. It makes the level look more bland and feel a lot more empty. It doesn't take a copious amount, but a consistent usage of background object will easily add more life to the level and make it look better too.

The next issue I faced was enemy placement. While I will grant you for it being consistent and not spamming (not counting the two "stacks" I noticed during my cursory glance) I feel there should be more variety in the enemies. It's either angels, the circle ones you can jump on or over, or mushrooms you have to avoid. Given that about 90% of the level's enemies are strictly on the ground I feel it's empty. The angels are placed only over any pits so otherwise there is a lack of variety in what you actually face, making an unremarkable level a little more forgettable to me.

On a positive note though I do like your music choice but it would seem much more fitting for a bonus/ secret area or a different type of level.

Overall I feel sad about this level. The potential is there and it's clear you put in the effort to get things done but this needs work. What's been done so far is a good starting point, but changes and additions need to be made to make it much better, imo:

~Adding needed scenery.
~Maybe adding a secret area or a bonus area of some kind.
~Having more types of enemies.
~Changing the main level area's music to something more fitting.

I hope this level is improved because while I didn't have a bad time with it I can't say I really enjoyed it very much. Cheers. ~
If you actually played the level, there is quite the variation in enemies because the different ball enemies (red, white, black, etc.) all do different things.
Ah!

I apologize. I do see they do have variation in behaviours, but that isn't what I was trying to refer too... better wording on my part would've helped, I suppose.

What I meant was I wanted more variety of enemies on the ground and in the air and yes they are also different colors, but I like seeing enemies of different shapes as well as colours. In what I see there's the angels, the circles shaped enemies, and the deadly mushrooms. Shape was mainly what I was referring to but I didn't note shape specifically in my post.

Once again, my apologies. ~

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki


User avatar
litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:10 am

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby litchh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:16 pm

This level has almost all overworld NPCs from Super Marisa Land.
The only thing, I couldn't recreate fairies, so I just recolored Zelda Fairy & removed her horns :D

User avatar
Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:56 pm
Flair: Time to make myself disappear
Chat Username: Yuu-senpai#1659

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:18 pm

litchh wrote:This level has almost all overworld NPCs from Super Marisa Land.
The only thing, I couldn't recreate fairies, so I just recolored Zelda Fairy & removed her horns :D
Ah well fair enough. I wasn't trying to be rude, it was just an observation I had made.~ ^_^

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki


User avatar
Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2844
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic
Contact:

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby Mosaic » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:26 pm

UNOFFICAL REVIEW OF FOREST OF MAGIC BY LITCHH

Design(4.5/10)

I'd say the level design is pretty OK, you honestly should have put power-ups in the level and I think the level was a little too
short and it should have been a little bit longer. The poisonous mushroom item was kind of unnecessary considering that there
was no power-ups in the level. The level was very open and very linear and even though the ball enemies and fairies were pretty cool ideas,
i still think there should have been more enemies. I should also mention that it didn't really have much(if any) scenery in it.
I think that the level design feels a little rushed and there wasn't enough effort put in.

Atmosphre (8/10)

I'd say that you made the atmosphere pretty good. It really feels like your actually, as the name implies, in a magical forest.
The graphics fit together pretty good even the poisonous mushroom really clashes with the environment.
And the music you picked fits alot with the atmosphere
I would say that this level captured the forest feel pretty good.

Overall 6.631/10(Average)
This level does have some potential but i think it can be improved on.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Image

Image

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
Image


PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Forest of Magic

Postby PixelPest » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:57 am

Official Review of Forest of Magic

Level Design and Gameplay (weighed 70%): 4.0/10
This level was very unique but short and not overly well done. NPC placement was okay, although it seemed kind of random and didn’t present much of a challenge or an interesting gameplay experience. Coins were quite sparse and the level lacked BGOs. The atmosphere of a magical forest was cpatured pretty well though even without the BGOs. The poison mushrooms were used in an interesting way, but didn't present much of a challenge. Even though the level was short, I don’t think I really would’ve wanted it to be longer because of the level’s linear-ness and overall boring gameplay.

Graphics and Music (weighed 30%): 6.2/10
The unique graphical style for the most part was very interesting but some vanilla elements like the normal Super Mushroom and SMB1 coins did not fit at all. There also should have been more variety to the NPCs to keep the level interesting--don't just make them all blobs along with a few fairies. The graphics were pretty cool though!
The music fit fine throughout the single section.

Overall: 4.66/10 (Average)
- interesting concepts and graphics
- coins were too sparse
- captured the atmosphere well
- a little bit too short, but a little bit too boring by the end to be much longer
- needs more variety of NPCs and better placement techniques to present a challenge
- the few vanilla graphics really didn't fit the unique style of this level


Return to “Average”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests