The Dreamlands

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Kyogre
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Life
Chat Username: Silberstein

The Dreamlands

Postby Kyogre » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:27 pm

I've finished a new level after months.
It's called "The Dreamlands".
Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Spoiler: show
Download: Credits:
Custom Graphic's: Squishy Rex's GFX

What's your opinion? :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEcasX ... BlHGnj-ttw

Discord: Silberstein (#2409)

Sorry for my bad english, Im from Germany.

Ich habe gelernt der größte Schmerz geht auch vorüber, komm reiß mir ein Bein aus, doch ich laufe weiter Tausendfüßler

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Re: The Dreamlands

Postby Zipper » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:53 pm

I don't really feel like giving a review, since it was a pretty basic level that doesn't try to overstep any boundaries and plays it safe, so I'll bring up some keypoints instead:

-This level is like 30% longer than it needs to be. Stuff tends to drone on if you're not doing anything different throughout the whole stage. The powerup distribution and the enemy placement was nice and all, but the slopes REALLY slow down the gameplay when doing platforming, and doing essentially the same thing with suboptimal speed across the WHOLE stage tends to get bothersome. Tl;dr : Add a new gimmick or shorten the level. Preferably the former.

-Cave music wasn't very fitting, but that's just a nitpick.

-Not a fan of the square grass to be honest. It looks very artificial, which really sticks out in a nature based stage.

-An underground sub area with actual level design would be pretty cool. This ties in with point 1.

Overall not a BAD level, so keep up your work.

Kyogre
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Life
Chat Username: Silberstein

Postby Kyogre » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks for your review

The cave room was intended as a bonus room.
Beacause of that I like to use this music as Bonus music :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEcasX ... BlHGnj-ttw

Discord: Silberstein (#2409)

Sorry for my bad english, Im from Germany.

Ich habe gelernt der größte Schmerz geht auch vorüber, komm reiß mir ein Bein aus, doch ich laufe weiter Tausendfüßler

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:10 am

The Dreamlands: Official Review

This is a pretty decently made grassland with a lot of immensity and offers plenty of exploration. There's a lot of attention to detail in how the landforms and tunnels are constructed, standard arrangements of enemies and obstacles, it's not too difficult to traverse, and it's regularly peppered with pipes and wooden platforms to vary up the terrain a bit.

However, this level is very... samey. It introduces a single design idea that and even though it's a solid one, it just does that for the majority of the level. Everything looks and behaves the same, each part does little to actually get in your way, and you as the player can just sort of breeze through without worrying about specifics or details. The only real break from this would be the wooden platforms, and even those aren't used all that much.

I like the environmental taste that this level has, though. The graphics are a nice pleasant green daytime surrounding with music to match and the nice occasional waterfall decorations. The bushes on top of and inside the tileset are a decent amount and compliment the visuals nicely, although the BGOs overlapping frequently can look a tiny bit cluttered. The edges of the tileset also feel a little bright, like the shading is definitely there but the exact colors are close enough together that it's difficult to make out. Those are minor gripes though and the atmosphere holds up pretty well otherwise.

Overall, it's mainly tunnels and exploring for the sake of tunnels and exploring, but the layout holds up well as something polished and interesting. It's sort of monotonous to play and doesn't really do much else besides what is first established, but it does offer goodness in a standard way. It's not stressful or unpleasant by any means, just a bit ordinary.

I give it a 5.5/10. Average.
I'm not active too much on the forums anymore, but my PM inbox is available if you need anything.

Also, I make Super Mario Maker levels sometimes! (Don't mind the awful NNID.)

Return to “Average”