Page 1 of 1

Snowy Mountain

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:27 am
by SomeRandomGuy
Screenshots:

Image

Image

Image

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/?p5hc5mgto6cmsf5

Snowy mountains is a little level I made, hope you enjoy! :)

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:49 am
by HeroLinik
If I were you, I would take the screens using F12, because it makes the screens clearer and you don't need to worry about cropping or screen sizes. Anyway, video playthrough made:


Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:23 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
Linik wrote:If I were you, I would take the screens using F12, because it makes the screens clearer and you don't need to worry about cropping or screen sizes. Anyway, video playthrough made:

So, did you like it?

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:12 pm
by HeroLinik
SomeRandomGuy wrote:
Linik wrote:If I were you, I would take the screens using F12, because it makes the screens clearer and you don't need to worry about cropping or screen sizes. Anyway, video playthrough made:

So, did you like it?
Yeah. It was fun.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:59 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
What does Yeah. It was fun. mean? Sounds kindaweirdieshnotarealword

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:56 am
by HeroLinik
SomeRandomGuy wrote:What does Yeah. It was fun. mean? Sounds kindaweirdieshnotarealword
It means just that. I enjoyed playing the level, despite it being a little on the short side.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:31 am
by Mable
Linik wrote:
I think i can point stuff out of this video for this level.

- Lack of Coins aka there aren't any coins at all (No the one in the block doesn't count)
- No bgo aka i didn't even see a single one at all
- Mistake many people do is putting the smw jumping piranha plant in the ground when it should belong into a pipe. It looks bad and can result into unfair hits
- The cheeps cheeps look kinda spammed into the water.
- Really short

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:40 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
Tinkerbell wrote:
Linik wrote:
I think i can point stuff out of this video for this level.

- Lack of Coins aka there aren't any coins at all (No the one in the block doesn't count)
- No bgo aka i didn't even see a single one at all
- Mistake many people do is putting the smw jumping piranha plant in the ground when it should belong into a pipe. It looks bad and can result into unfair hits
- The cheeps cheeps look kinda spammed into the water.
- Really short
K, might try to make it better

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:43 pm
by The Thwomp King
I encourage you to add much more to this level, I think this has potential to be really nice. With me saying this, there's plenty of components you lack. For starters you need to have bgos in the level to help bring more life to the atmosphere; bgo's help make the level more visually appealing, so use that to your advantage. There should be plenty of good snow bgo's you can use to help enhance this level. As far as the graphics given, they're not bad at all. I like what I saw generally with exception to the jumping piranha plants that have an issue. Did you replace both the npc file with it's respective shadow file (example: npc-100m)? The gameplay and gimmicks are very simple, but nice nonetheless. I think your mushroom placement should be fixed to an area where it's not too easy to miss getting it. Every time I played the level I failed to get it once. Overall though the level feels more like a small sample of a level than a complete level, which kills the fun because it feels like I'm being teased.

2.4/10

Please don't be discouraged by this score. I'm not going to move this level yet until the level is ready for a re-review, so think of this current score as where you're at with what you made. I really want to see this level reworked on and expanded upon. I truly think this can be an excellent level, but it needs more work put into it.

Please pm me whenever you have this level redone again or if you want any additional advice. I'll be more than glad to help you and I definitely look forward to playing it again.

Best of luck to you!

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 pm
by Aero
I've noticed your levels are pretty bland and not really well thought out, so you should consider posting your future levels in the Casual subforum. There isn't much improvement from the last level I saw by you so you should really read what people have said before posting new levels. Play levels that are in The Best, Pretty Good, and Average to get a feel for what a better designed level is like.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:50 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
AeroMatter wrote:I've noticed your levels are pretty bland and not really well thought out, so you should consider posting your future levels in the Casual subforum. There isn't much improvement from the last level I saw by you so you should really read what people have said before posting new levels. Play levels that are in The Best, Pretty Good, and Average to get a feel for what a better designed level is like.
I've been playing levels in the best and preety good and trying to see how their design compares and how I can improve on my levels.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:52 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
The Thwomp King wrote:I encourage you to add much more to this level, I think this has potential to be really nice. With me saying this, there's plenty of components you lack. For starters you need to have bgos in the level to help bring more life to the atmosphere; bgo's help make the level more visually appealing, so use that to your advantage. There should be plenty of good snow bgo's you can use to help enhance this level. As far as the graphics given, they're not bad at all. I like what I saw generally with exception to the jumping piranha plants that have an issue. Did you replace both the npc file with it's respective shadow file (example: npc-100m)? The gameplay and gimmicks are very simple, but nice nonetheless. I think your mushroom placement should be fixed to an area where it's not too easy to miss getting it. Every time I played the level I failed to get it once. Overall though the level feels more like a small sample of a level than a complete level, which kills the fun because it feels like I'm being teased.

2.4/10

Please don't be discouraged by this score. I'm not going to move this level yet until the level is ready for a re-review, so think of this current score as where you're at with what you made. I really want to see this level reworked on and expanded upon. I truly think this can be an excellent level, but it needs more work put into it.

Please pm me whenever you have this level redone again or if you want any additional advice. I'll be more than glad to help you and I definitely look forward to playing it again.

Best of luck to you!
I'm remaking this with better graphics, and design.
Btw, if I completely remake the level, will I have to make a new topic?

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:27 pm
by Aero
SomeRandomGuy wrote:Btw, if I completely remake the level, will I have to make a new topic?
You should keep all of your levels in one thread tbh. Makes them easier to keep track of improvement or the lack thereof. js

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:51 am
by SomeRandomGuy
AeroMatter wrote:
SomeRandomGuy wrote:Btw, if I completely remake the level, will I have to make a new topic?
You should keep all of your levels in one thread tbh. Makes them easier to keep track of improvement or the lack thereof. js
Thanks, I'll post it here when I am done.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:41 am
by The Thwomp King
SomeRandomGuy wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:
SomeRandomGuy wrote:Btw, if I completely remake the level, will I have to make a new topic?
You should keep all of your levels in one thread tbh. Makes them easier to keep track of improvement or the lack thereof. js
Thanks, I'll post it here when I am done.
Sounds good. I'll make a second review of the level from there.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:22 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
The Thwomp King wrote:
SomeRandomGuy wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:
You should keep all of your levels in one thread tbh. Makes them easier to keep track of improvement or the lack thereof. js
Thanks, I'll post it here when I am done.
Sounds good. I'll make a second review of the level from there.
https://www.mediafire.com/?apazzk77hm33f1p

Image

Image

Image

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:32 pm
by Aero
You have the player start in the wrong spot. This is definitely an improvement from the previous version of the level, but the snow is needlessly annoying. Idk why you used the transparent pipe only once, and the level seems a bit short. Touch it up a bit more and make it more consistent and you could probably get an Average/Pretty Good rating.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:44 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
AeroMatter wrote:You have the player start in the wrong spot. This is definitely an improvement from the previous version of the level, but the snow is needlessly annoying. Idk why you used the transparent pipe only once, and the level seems a bit short. Touch it up a bit more and make it more consistent and you could probably get an Average/Pretty Good rating.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm still working on the level and improving on the first version.

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 pm
by The Thwomp King
Spoiler: show
SomeRandomGuy wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote:
SomeRandomGuy wrote:
Thanks, I'll post it here when I am done.
Sounds good. I'll make a second review of the level from there.
https://www.mediafire.com/?apazzk77hm33f1p

Image

Image

Image
Alrighty so this is a step up. You have much better visuals, and you made good use of custom graphics as well. You helped build up the atmosphere much more, and I especially like the pipes. NPC placement was relatively good, but I don't believe the bullet bills were used well and shouldn't be in the level. As a small note I'm confused by why you changed the name to Snowy Mountain when the level matches Snowy Woods more. Anyway the game play isn't really much different from before, and I still feel as if the level is too short. The level was still more fun to play, but you still have yet to reach a point where the level has good replayability. So there's improvement, but you still have a ways to go.

4.2/10

Moved to Average

Re: Snowy Mountain

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:30 pm
by SomeRandomGuy
The Thwomp King wrote:
Spoiler: show
SomeRandomGuy wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Sounds good. I'll make a second review of the level from there.
https://www.mediafire.com/?apazzk77hm33f1p

Image

Image

Image
Alrighty so this is a step up. You have much better visuals, and you made good use of custom graphics as well. You helped build up the atmosphere much more, and I especially like the pipes. NPC placement was relatively good, but I don't believe the bullet bills were used well and shouldn't be in the level. As a small note I'm confused by why you changed the name to Snowy Mountain when the level matches Snowy Woods more. Anyway the game play isn't really much different from before, and I still feel as if the level is too short. The level was still more fun to play, but you still have yet to reach a point where the level has good replayability. So there's improvement, but you still have a ways to go.

4.2/10

Moved to Average
Thanks for the review!