Sky Ground

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
CreatorForce
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Sky Ground

Postby CreatorForce » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:29 am

Hey Guys My Level is Complate right now This Is I Call Sky Ground
check out

Screenshot

DOWNLOAD https://www.mediafire.com/?l6uu29bszz41xoe

ENJOY :D

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Re: Sky Ground

Postby bossedit8 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm

My playthrough of this Level:

Original YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSaPBWotU6I

CreatorForce
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby CreatorForce » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 am

My Playthough Check Out

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Who knows? Back after what feels like absolutely forever!

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:40 pm

First off, I like the general idea of the level. Levels that take place in the sky seem calm and peaceful to me, so I like playing them. About halfway through the level, it starts to get a bit more interesting to play.

The graphics of the level could definitely use some work. There are very few background objects, and absolutely none of them are on the ground. The level design itself seemed very boring, too, with large parts being flat. There were missing blocks in some of the first section's clouds, too. However, like I said, it got a little bit better near the midway point. I think the Nimbus Land music is slightly overused, but being that the music fits the level, that's a mark in its favor.

The level wasn't very fun to play at all, to be completely honest. There are many parts where blocks are too close to enemies or to other blocks, making them difficult to jump to. Even climbing the vine in the first section had to have a near pixel-perfect jump to make. The section just after the midway point has a jump that's very tedious, and is much worse if you're not small, which you shouldn't be after the power-up. In that same part, small Mario or a slide needs to be done to progress farther.

The level doesn't have much difficulty to it. The most difficult things to worry about, aside from the boss, were the randomly appearing bullet bills, which were fairly annoying considering they fired every time they came on screen and there was no indication to them save for one in the third section. The boss section itself it just a restless boss rush, and once again, the terrain is very bland, without anything really going for it. I'm certain you could probably fix that if you tried.

Overall, the level definitely needs to be worked on. Some of the graphical problems are easy to fix, especially given that you're both in the sky and on the ground. I'd suggest spacing out some of the blocks, like the vine in the first section, and the one section where you have two jumping SMB2 enemies and three ? blocks. The boss needs a bit more work and innovation, as to me it was just mindlessly dodging attacks with no actual interesting platforming or level design to it.

If I were to rate this level myself, I would give it a 3.5/10. It needs some work, but it has the potential to be much better.
Electrokinesis is fun.
Struggling to remember what and why I did things when I was here the last time.

CreatorForce
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby CreatorForce » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 am

WindyDelcarlo wrote:First off, I like the general idea of the level. Levels that take place in the sky seem calm and peaceful to me, so I like playing them. About halfway through the level, it starts to get a bit more interesting to play.

The graphics of the level could definitely use some work. There are very few background objects, and absolutely none of them are on the ground. The level design itself seemed very boring, too, with large parts being flat. There were missing blocks in some of the first section's clouds, too. However, like I said, it got a little bit better near the midway point. I think the Nimbus Land music is slightly overused, but being that the music fits the level, that's a mark in its favor.

The level wasn't very fun to play at all, to be completely honest. There are many parts where blocks are too close to enemies or to other blocks, making them difficult to jump to. Even climbing the vine in the first section had to have a near pixel-perfect jump to make. The section just after the midway point has a jump that's very tedious, and is much worse if you're not small, which you shouldn't be after the power-up. In that same part, small Mario or a slide needs to be done to progress farther.

The level doesn't have much difficulty to it. The most difficult things to worry about, aside from the boss, were the randomly appearing bullet bills, which were fairly annoying considering they fired every time they came on screen and there was no indication to them save for one in the third section. The boss section itself it just a restless boss rush, and once again, the terrain is very bland, without anything really going for it. I'm certain you could probably fix that if you tried.

Overall, the level definitely needs to be worked on. Some of the graphical problems are easy to fix, especially given that you're both in the sky and on the ground. I'd suggest spacing out some of the blocks, like the vine in the first section, and the one section where you have two jumping SMB2 enemies and three ? blocks. The boss needs a bit more work and innovation, as to me it was just mindlessly dodging attacks with no actual interesting platforming or level design to it.

If I were to rate this level myself, I would give it a 3.5/10. It needs some work, but it has the potential to be much better.
Thanks For The Tip :)

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:51 pm

You really need to learn to stick with one theme in a level.

Visual Appeal
The beginnin section has the clouds that are missing tiles that creates cutoff and looks hideous and the SMB1 grass does not go well at all with the SMB3 wood tileset. Did you notice the cutoff in the first section before posting the level? The second section isn't too bad, but one of the cloud BGOs is placed over the mushroom stalk and overlaps, creating cutoff, and a mushroom stalk is placed on a mushroom edge block, which creates cutoff. The SMW enemies do not go well with the mainly SMB1 theme in that section, so I suggest you get rid of them and find NPCs that fit, or you can get SMB1 recolored versions of them. The third section also has unfitting SMB2 shy guys and two different colors of clouds: the SMB3 tileset made by Garro and the SMB2 pink animating ones. I can tell you right now that it looks downright stupid and it would be best to get rid of everything SMB2 in this section. The last section is ok when it came to graphics.
4/10

Design
You really need to stick with one kind of theme, honestly. The first section is completely unneeded anyways and the second really confuses me, since it looks like it'll switch to something along the lines of the third section, but instead, it switches to the SMB1 mushrooms. In the third section, it finally gets to the type of theme I expected this level to be, but it's still straight up. Although, I give you props for executing the level wrap pretty well. The NPC placement for the most part seemed to have been done pretty lazily, as they are either easily taken care of or they are hard to get rid of because there are too many in the way. The boss section is also done pretty poorly and is also completely unneeded for the level.
2/10

Gameplay
This level had a completely different gimmick every section and that makes the level very sloppy. At first, it's ascending into clouds, then it's going up mushrooms and falling platforms, then it's level wrap. On top of the upwards sections is a couple beach koopas placed in HORRIBLE spots. If you're not paying close attention, you're likely to get a blue koopa shell in the face. The rainbow koopa is especially a problem since it's placed in a really bad spot and the rainbow shell can be picked up using the raccoon tail. I really hate the way you used the clouds because you really pressed together the level in the cloud section. I would suggest making it a left to right section and "smooth out" the clouds by using the slopes in wavy forms to make it more like a cloud level. And the boss section is incredibly aggravating, going from birdo, to mouser, to Boom-Boom with a lakitu. The Boom-Boom/lakitu idea wasn't too bad actually, it was how it was presented was how it was ruined, since Mouser's bombs are still all around the section, providing a ton of hazards and makes it almost impossible to maintain a power-up or stay alive for that matter.
1/10

Music
The athletic music wasn't a bad choice for the earlier half of the level▬in fact, it fits pretty well. And I don't know where you got that Nimbus Land variant (don't know if it was a remix) but it sounds downright beautiful and I really hope on using it myself someday.
7/10

This level was pretty sloppy, but the music singlehandedly saved it from being in the trash can.
3.5/10
Moved to Average.
3.5/10
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Return to “Average”