Challenge Accepted - All First Levels are Generic and Boring

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Challenge Accepted - All First Levels are Generic and Boring

Postby Mivixion » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:09 pm

Hello, dear chaps. I have come before you today to announce that I have accepted the challenge of your honored level judge, Imaynotbehere4long. In saying that first levels are always generic, boring, and uninspired, he left behind a challenge: Make a level designed as the first level of a game that's neither generic, boring, nor uninspired. I sincerely hope that this level will prove your level judge wrong and make it further than the Average ranking of 5.9/10.

I have accepted that challenge. I present to you, my level - All First Levels are Generic and Boring.
There is one flaw that I must acknowledge before I present the level to you; I misplaced the checkpoint. It is a screen and a half too far in the level, but due to the unfortunate circumstances involving the checkpoint, removing it would take too much trouble and repair that I decided it was not worth the extra time. That being said, I hope you all enjoy!

If you wish to preview what you are about to play, go ahead and open this spoiler to see a screenshot of an early part of the level.
Spoiler: show
If you wish to experience this level firsthand, go ahead and open this spoiler to download the level.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Re: Challenge Accepted - All First Levels are Generic and Bo

Postby Superiorstar » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:22 pm

I agree with your opinion more than IMNBH4L's opinion.
I will play it then tell you what I think.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:59 pm

Before I play this, I have something to clarify:
Praesidium wrote:I have accepted the challenge of your honored level judge, Imaynotbehere4long. In saying that first levels are always generic, boring, and uninspired, he left behind a challenge: Make a level designed as the first level of a game that's neither generic, boring, nor uninspired.
1) Holy crap, I'm honored? Yay!
2) I never said that all first levels are generic and boring; I said that all first levels that have been posted in the levels section as stand-alone levels that I've played are generic and boring. I, too, hope that you can prove me wrong because I've more than gotten sick of those kind of levels, and I hope that you inspire others to do the same.

--EDIT--

Okay, I've played the level, and my verdict is: I am both impressed and disappointed.

The level certainly has plenty of good ideas and quite a bit going on in it, but there are also a few things in the level that don't really work out. The Hammer Bro. on the sizable with the lone ? block under it is something I haven't seen before and I quite liked it. However, the Hammer Bros. that were stuck in holes in the ground just seemed kinda pointless. I know that people often put NPCs in unreachable areas like that for decoration, but Hammer Bros. don't really lend themselves well as decoration since they're programmed to throw hammers at the player, and the hammer-throwing-sound-effect plays each time. I recommend lowering the ground so that their hammers can actually harm the player. Also, the line riders didn't really add anything to the level. I thought that they were foreshadowing a mandatory line-rider part, but no, they were practically there just for decoration. Although there are a couple that have Nippers under them (which is another neat idea), their only purpose is to collect a few coins that would normally be out of reach, and it can be annoying if the line-rider is off-screened before the coins can be collected (I'm mainly referring to the second one). Also, there's no indication that there's an invisible block containing a Kuribo's shoe in-game. I recommend adding about three coins around it as an indication. Finally, I know that you know that the checkpoint is too far into the level, but you know what a simple solution to this is? Add more stuff to the level. Looking back, I'm still a bit surprised at how short the level is, even though I know you only made it in about three hours. If you leave the midpoint where it is and add more stuff to the end of level to balance it (and maybe add a clever secret or two), this would be a Pretty Good level.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Nippers under line-riders helped add variety.
-Hammer Bro. + sizable + lone ? block = unique.
-Graphic choices aren't terrible.
-Music choice oddly works well with a grassland type level

BAD:
-Hammer Bros. in pointless areas means the player can't shut them up (at least make them somewhat of a hazard).
-The line-riders are practically pointless, and the second one is easily off-screened (just make the track shorter).
-Imbalanced midpoint and relatively short level (both of these can be solved by adding a bit more to the end).
-The Kuribo's Shoe isn't indicated or even that useful in the level. Maybe you could have a line-rider go across spikes, but have a secret that can only be reached if the player finds and keeps the Kuribo's Shoe.

In conclusion: this is certainly a noble effort, but as much as I wanted to like this level, it just didn't quite make it; a bit more variety and length wouldn't hurt. Although you met your goal of making a level that isn't too boring or generic, it still has its flaws, and that's the second type of level I come across often: Pretty Good levels brought down by their flaws. I'd say this deserves a 5.5/10.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Postby Mivixion » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:34 pm

I'll be sure to fix this up soon enough and add more to the end!
I just got some sudden inspiration so I'll get back to work on it as soon as I can.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Before I play this, I have something to clarify:
Praesidium wrote:I have accepted the challenge of your honored level judge, Imaynotbehere4long. In saying that first levels are always generic, boring, and uninspired, he left behind a challenge: Make a level designed as the first level of a game that's neither generic, boring, nor uninspired.
1) Holy crap, I'm honored? Yay!
2) I never said that all first levels are generic and boring; I said that all first levels that have been posted in the levels section as stand-alone levels that I've played are generic and boring. I, too, hope that you can prove me wrong because I've more than gotten sick of those kind of levels, and I hope that you inspire others to do the same.

--EDIT--

Okay, I've played the level, and my verdict is: I am both impressed and disappointed.

The level certainly has plenty of good ideas and quite a bit going on in it, but there are also a few things in the level that don't really work out. The Hammer Bro. on the sizable with the lone ? block under it is something I haven't seen before and I quite liked it. However, the Hammer Bros. that were stuck in holes in the ground just seemed kinda pointless. I know that people often put NPCs in unreachable areas like that for decoration, but Hammer Bros. don't really lend themselves well as decoration since they're programmed to throw hammers at the player, and the hammer-throwing-sound-effect plays each time. I recommend lowering the ground so that their hammers can actually harm the player. Also, the line riders didn't really add anything to the level. I thought that they were foreshadowing a mandatory line-rider part, but no, they were practically there just for decoration. Although there are a couple that have Nippers under them (which is another neat idea), their only purpose is to collect a few coins that would normally be out of reach, and it can be annoying if the line-rider is off-screened before the coins can be collected (I'm mainly referring to the second one). Also, there's no indication that there's an invisible block containing a Kuribo's shoe in-game. I recommend adding about three coins around it as an indication. Finally, I know that you know that the checkpoint is too far into the level, but you know what a simple solution to this is? Add more stuff to the level. Looking back, I'm still a bit surprised at how short the level is, even though I know you only made it in about three hours. If you leave the midpoint where it is and add more stuff to the end of level to balance it (and maybe add a clever secret or two), this would be a Pretty Good level.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Nippers under line-riders helped add variety.
-Hammer Bro. + sizable + lone ? block = unique.
-Graphic choices aren't terrible.
-Music choice oddly works well with a grassland type level

BAD:
-Hammer Bros. in pointless areas means the player can't shut them up (at least make them somewhat of a hazard).
-The line-riders are practically pointless, and the second one is easily off-screened (just make the track shorter).
-Imbalanced midpoint and relatively short level (both of these can be solved by adding a bit more to the end).
-The Kuribo's Shoe isn't indicated or even that useful in the level. Maybe you could have a line-rider go across spikes, but have a secret that can only be reached if the player finds and keeps the Kuribo's Shoe.

In conclusion: this is certainly a noble effort, but as much as I wanted to like this level, it just didn't quite make it; a bit more variety and length wouldn't hurt. Although you met your goal of making a level that isn't too boring or generic, it still has its flaws, and that's the second type of level I come across often: Pretty Good levels brought down by their flaws. I'd say this deserves a 5.5/10.
I still think my first level, even though I used it a contest, still does good enough!

ImageImageImage

Return to “Average”