Generic Autoscroller

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Yogi's Episode: The Legend of Peach

Generic Autoscroller

Postby Yogi_Bear » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Finally got posting permission! (I probably got it a long time ago and didn't notice)

So, this is an old autoscrolling level I made for an old episode, and out of all the levels I made for it, this is the only completed one that looks halfway decent. I hope you enjoy!

Screen:
Spoiler: show
Download: New!

EDIT: The ace coin in the screen is old, I recolored it since, so its not quite as odd looking. Its still not the best recolor, I have other projects going on so I did it a quickly as possible.
Last edited by Yogi_Bear on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My (now finished) Project: The Legend of Peach

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Generic Autoscroller

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:44 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of GENERIC AUTOSCROLLER by YOGI_BEAR

Hmm...this level was an odd case.

Design (3/10)
I must say that I did not enjoy this level. Now, part of it is probably becasue SMBX was being annoying and skipping frames whenever I pressed the Jump button, which killed me a LOT. Also, this level is incredibly annoying is Mario, and the jumps feel like you have a 50/50 chance of making it across or dying. I had to switch to Luigi after a while. If you kill the Paratroopas that are flying in between the mushrooms, you CAN'T beat the level because you will have no way across (unless you're using Peach or have a Super Leaf/Tanooki Suit, neither of which are in this level.) It was just not fun.

Atmosphere (0/10)
This is the first time in my reviewing history that this has happened. I just can't give you any points here, I'm sorry. The atmosphere here is nonexistent. The graphics are extremely minimal and there is NO MUSIC. This made the level even less enjoyable for me.

Other Comments: aw man i was hoping you did the actual smb1 lost levels springboard :c

Overall 1.5/10 (The Trash Can)
Sorry mate, but this level was just too unenjoyable for me to get a score much higher than this. Just keep trying :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:49 am

Haha that just goes to show you the quality of that old episode. The "golden nugget" in it was 1.5/10.

But really, I put so little effort into making this enjoyable that I didnt expect much else. Also, the sound in SMBX is all screwy for me, so I often forget to put music in my levels since I tick "sound off" at the start screen.

I'm sort of confused how you managed to kill the paratroopas without being on the other side. The part I assume youre speaking of is where there are 4 paratroopas in a staircase pattern and an Ace coin? The scrolling shoulld make it pretty obvious you just use them to cross, and you really only need all 4 if youre going for the Ace coin. I didnt think that was bad design, I thought it was pretty fair.

The atmostphere I have to completely agree on. It is a SMB1 level, but even for one of them it was pretty bland. Again, old level, but I guess I could have taken 15 min and spruced it up a bit with some more BGOs. But, thanks for the review! I'll keep these in mind for my next autoscroller.

Does anyone still make project banners? Mine isn't a large project or anything, but some of them look pretty snazzy. PM me if you make them, and wouldn't mind making one for me.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:09 am

I was talking about the 1 paratroopa before the staircase. It's easier to kill than you think.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Yogi_Bear
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Yogi_Bear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Well, I tweaked the level a bit, hopefully it fixes the issues with it. Nothing I really could think of to revamp the atmosphere, but I did what I could with what time I wanted to put into it (My project takes up most of my SMBX time)

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:42 pm

This level is...eh. The auto-scroll makes it a bit tricky to get all of the Ace coins (which award the player with a star if they're all collected), but there really isn't anything else going for the level. There are some mushroom-blocks, some Goombas, some Koopas...it's difficult to describe this level because of how simple and generic it is. It seems like hardly any thought was put into the level design (with the exception of the Ace coins), and the result is something that's ultimately just boring to play.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Music fits the level well.
-Ace coin placement is well done.

BAD:
-Boring level design.
-Small variety of enemies.

In conclusion: I never thought I'd play a level that's actually more generic than the average Basic Grass Level, but here it is. You've certainly improved since this level. I'd say this deserves a 4/10.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Return to “Average”