Bowser's Last Stand

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
Whales hey
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: whales

Bowser's Last Stand

Postby Whales hey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:59 pm

A small stroll leading to the king of the Koopas.

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Download: GFX Packs used:
Community GFX pack
Valterri's GFX pack
Sednaiur's Expanded SMB3 GFX pack
(Additional Graphics from "Bowser Run" by Eden)
meme
I Support:

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Bowser's Last Stand

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:24 pm

WOT?!?!?!? I, Turtwig, am actually REVIEWING a LEVEL?!?!?!? What is this madness?!?!?!?

Yep, since I have more time on my hands I thought I'd get back into reviewing stuff. So here goes...

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of BOWSER'S LAST STAND by WHALES HEY

Design (1/10)
Honestly...this is probably one of the most unreasonable levels I've ever played. You get very few power-ups, first of all, and there are THREE boss fights to worry about. The first boss is a big Bowser reskin of Ludwig Von Koopa. That doesn't sound so bad, but 1) you're in an enclosed space 2) you can't spin jump on the Bowser sprite 3) falling boulder spam and 4) you have to hit Bowser with an SMB2 bomb...which spawns EVERY 12 SECONDS. So this is really an endurance battle, and a VERY unfair one at that. Also, the transition to the second boss is only possible with Luigi (if you're on the left side of the room).

The second boss is a Wart reskin, and unfortunately it's the worst of the three. Bowser is standing all the way on the left of a big room, and the SMB2 bomb generator is all the way to the right. So it's extremely difficult to hit Bowser with a bomb before it explodes. In addition, there are Rinkas everywhere, and they don't stop, even AFTER you kill Bowser.

The last boss is a standard SMB3 Bowser fight. It's the easiest of the three, but also the longest. You have to have Bowser destroy some blocks above a pipe, which SMB2 bombs come out of, and it takes FOREVER to kill him with those. And once again, there are Rinkas everywhere that don't EVER stop.

Atmosphere (4/10)
I recognize a lot of the graphics you used, as they are in the same GFX pack that I used to use :P

This level looks pretty much the same throughout, so I can't really say that much here. However, I DO have some complaints:

1. Item Room is not a fitting song for the first section. The background is also VERY out of place for a Mario game.
2. The Red Hammer Bros have the wrong death effect.
3. The section leading to the first boss fight just looks...bad. The door is AWESOME, though.
4. This is probably my own taste, but that Bowser reskin is really ugly :/
5. The "earthquake" effect is really cheesy since you can see the POW blocks falling.

Other Comments: idk

Overall 2.5/10 (The Trash Can)

Sorry man, but this level is just SO unfairly difficult. Everything really needs to be toned down a bit.
Last edited by JupiHornet on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Whales hey
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Chat Username: whales

Postby Whales hey » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Thank you for your criticism! I will see what I can do to make my levels and/or boss battles better in the future. I was going to make this the final boss of my project, so that may be the reason why it is so insanely hard!
meme
I Support:

Goatman879
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Goatman879 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:22 pm

I will play it later.Looks like it could be fun.
Hello welcome to the shoe store we sell shoes here

lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: Soundtrack stuff

Postby lighthouse64 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 am

Turtwig wrote:WOT?!?!?!? I, Turtwig, am actually REVIEWING a LEVEL?!?!?!? What is this madness?!?!?!?
Um, lol you've judged one of my ugly levels :P
I love cheep cheep's Image :)
Creator of 100+ 8bit emojis
Smiley tongue fan ImageImage Image :P
I support:
My 1337 rank was quill Image
Squishy rex has been frozen! Image

Some quotes:
[19:59] <Lykie> jacob i swear to god
[19:59] <Lykie> I YELLED AT MY MOM
[19:59] <Jacob> Im sorry
[19:59] <lighthouse64> swearing is bad tho
[19:59] <Lykie> FOR MESSING UP THE PATTERN IN THE EGG CARTEN
[19:59] <Lykie> *CARTON
[20:00] <lighthouse64> lol ocd confirmed

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:52 pm

lighthouse64 wrote:
Turtwig wrote:WOT?!?!?!? I, Turtwig, am actually REVIEWING a LEVEL?!?!?!? What is this madness?!?!?!?
Um, lol you've judged one of my ugly levels :P
yeah but it's been like months since i've last reviewed a level :P
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Time to make myself disappear
Chat Username: Yuu-senpai#1659

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:42 am

Review: Bowser's Last Stand by Whales hey
{Gameplay: 10Pts | Scenery/Music: 10Pts}

Gameplay:
1 out of 10
I want to start by saying difficult levels are among my favourite, however there is a line to not cross and this one sort of did. What I mean by that is that this level is too difficult. You have to fight three bosses with minimal power-ups in usually unfair situations. Let's break it down:

Boss 1: This one is an obvious Ludwing Von Koopa reskin which is fine. The room you are in is small, boulders drop on you, you can't spin jump off Bowser and the bomb takes too long to spawn so what you get is not only a boss fight but a patience and endurance test.

Boss 2: I would agree with Turtwig that this one specifically is the worst of the three in terms of difficulty. You put Bowser to the left, of course the bombs needed to kill him spawn at the very right so you have to pick it, hurry it over while avoiding the fireballs and the falling rocks in order to land a hit. Of course since it's SMB2 bombs you're more likely to die at least once or twice, likely more, before you ave a chance at being this one. No power-ups here either.

Boss 3: Still rather difficult and takes forever to kill with those bombs, then again you have two fireball sources to avoid as well as Bowser's flame too.

Difficulty is always nice, but this is just too difficult and takes the enjoyment out of playing. At the very least there should be more power-ups to compensate for this difficulty or perhaps making each boss room a little less difficult to fight in?

Scenery/Music:
3 out of 10 {1Pts Scenery | 2Pts Music}
Scenery usage is fair. Not great, but not horrible. Some areas still look quite empty and inconsistent, though and I think there's one section with no scenery at all too. That door to the first boss is really cool though, even though that general area doesn't look very good.

My only music related complaint is also in that room with the door to the first boss. The environment of that room just doesn't fit with the music selection you made.

Conclusion:
4 out of 20Pts {2Pts Overall {Rounded from 2}}
I see what you were going for and the idea wasn't bad, but the execution was not as good unfortunately .. This turned out way too hard and someone with less patience would drop this before beating the first boss most likely. Difficulty is good, but being fair is also good and necessary when you make change the main focus of a level. This one is just not fair to the player, so I apologize and wish you luck in improving it. ~

*Moved to The Trash Can

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki

Return to “The Trash Can”