Underground Springs (I'm so creative!!!)

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Underground Springs (I'm so creative!!!)

Postby zioy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm

This is a simple cave level using custom music by SMURF VII (SMB Remix) and myself (Custom Underground Theme).

There are a few screenshots here:
Spoiler: show
This level is based around early Mario levels from SMB, with a slight vertical aspect and traditional linear gameplay. The majority of the level is SMB1 styled, however, the overworld area is styled like a SMB3 blockland. There are no custom graphics because I was trying to make the level reminiscent of the early games in the Mario franchise. The level is fairly short and easy (World 3 at most, most likely World 2, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the first world of a game), and styled traditionally and in a simple, clean, easy-to-follow path and nothing harder to take on than a pair of Hammer Brothers.

DISCLAIMER:
Spoiler: show
There are no BGO's. I was trying to keep the level simple and without clutter. More often than not I will overload a level with background objects, so I tried the opposite this time.
Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/?4wnyx1u5ei2bw1w

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Underground Springs (I'm so creative!!!)

Postby Murphmario » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Actually, there are BGOs. Like the water and the exit frame.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Nothing is coming on Christmas. Why? Because I missed my past promises and should stop putting release dates on my stuff.

34C
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby 34C » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 pm

I didn't find this level fun nor did I find many bad flaws in it. Actually the only actual complaint I have is the enemy placement on the beginning of the stage, I would've been hit by them if I didn't see them in the editor before testing.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Underground Springs - by KoolKat - Reviewed by Kep

Design - 1.5
This level didn't offer much to the player, which made your design score go way down. First of all, I think this should have some gimmicks, I mean, at the very least, rising water or something (considering this is a spring). Just going right isn't enough, frankly. Also, while I liked the music in the first and last section, the cave section's music really didn't fit. All I heard was trombones and drums, not anything that would fit a cave. (Yes, I know you composed it, but still, I have to be honest, fair, and unbiased in my reviews and not give you extra credit for composed-yourself music.) In addition, section three had cut-off at the bottom with the water. I can't explain it well but hopefully you get the general idea. If not, I can show you a screen of what I'm talking about. Speaking of section three, by the way, it was really cluttered, I mean REALLY cluttered. Most of this will be explained in the Placement section. And the hidden blocks in section three were annoying as well. I really have nothing else to say design-wise, though.

Placement - 3
This level's placement was pretty bad as well. When you first start the level, there are enemies coming right at you which is unfair. Once you reach section two, there is a green Koopa coming right at you too. Speaking of green Koopas, no points will be taken off for this obviously since this is an extremely minor flaw, but honest, your lack of green Koopas really irked me. How come have barely any of those and have so much red ones? Just a little nitpick. Otherwise, section two's placement was pretty good. Add some more pipes, though, please. Section three's placement is a whole different story, though. You have a cluster of coins in certain ares, too much Hammer Bros. throwing hammers at you at once, tons of fish in a tiny little water area, and unnecessary annoying hidden blocks. Like, please, tone it down in this section. It's bad enough to have a cluttered section, but it's even worse when the section you're cluttering stuff in is tiny as hell. That's about it for placement, though. But I'd recommend to tone down the Koopa placement in the last section. Otherwise, that's pretty much it.

Atmosphere - 2
I know you said that there was deliberately no BGOs in the original thread, but that still isn't a reason not to add any. Like, seriously, you need a lot more. An easy solution for this would be to have SMB1 vegetation (trees and grass) for the cave section and regular SMB3 bushes for the grass sections. Also, to be honest, the transitioning between SMB3 and SMB1 and then SMB3 again was really... weird. Besides, the SMB3 sections were useless anyways. Just have the entire level in a cave. That's about it for atmosphere, though. I would have given you a 0 on this category if I didn't know your intention was to make a classic level.

Overall - 2.16
Unfortunately, this is trashcan quality. Doesn't necessarily mean it's terrible, though. It just needs quite a bit of work before it can even be considering half-way average.
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:07 pm

I don't see why a SMB1 cave needs BGOs. The original didn't have them, and caves aren't meant to look like that.

Anyway, the music was lame but it was the limit of my deep-cave-based instruments (Timpani, Tuba, Bari Sax, Trombone, Bass Trombone).

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 pm

krazykat wrote:I don't see why a SMB1 cave needs BGOs. The original didn't have them, and caves aren't meant to look like that.
Well at the very least add some waterfalls, because this is a spring.

Also, if you want to get technical, caves in real life have a lot of BGOs (crystals, stalactites, etc.) but yeah, I admit it was quite ridiculous in my review to take points off for a lack of BGOs =/
It should still use a couple at the very least, though, and that's a fact.
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Kep wrote:
krazykat wrote:I don't see why a SMB1 cave needs BGOs. The original didn't have them, and caves aren't meant to look like that.
Well at the very least add some waterfalls, because this is a spring.

Also, if you want to get technical, caves in real life have a lot of BGOs (crystals, stalactites, etc.) but yeah, I admit it was quite ridiculous in my review to take points off for a lack of BGOs =/
It should still use a couple at the very least, though, and that's a fact.
Yeah it's not a great level but the review did seem a little unbalanced. Anyway I don't care about its score anyway, I put zero effort into it but I do want the review to be a little more balanced.

Return to “The Trash Can”