What was the golden age of SMBX, in your opinion?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Kumatora
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Uma Arhera Shooter

What was the golden age of SMBX, in your opinion?

Postby Kumatora » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:19 pm

I've never really been that much of a part of SMBX's community, so I'd like to ask you: what do you think was the peak of SMBX and its community?
(And if you'd like to, you could even tell me the entire history of SMBX's community)
Uma Arhera Shooter is the best shooter game I've ever played in my entire life. 11/10 I can't recommend it enough. It's even on sale R.N. (right now) on the DSiWare shop!

Nadav
Snifit
Snifit

Re: What was the golden age of SMBX, in your opinion?

Postby Nadav » Sun May 02, 2021 6:24 am

2014, most of the best episodes are from this year like tower of biassed 7 and Luigi's Fight for the Moushroom Kingdom
Check out my episodes:

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Saltlord » Sun May 02, 2021 12:35 pm

The present is SMBX's peak, given how much more is possible with the engine compared to a couple of years ago.

SBells27
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Working on a new project right now.

Postby SBells27 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Probably 2016 - 2018 for me, which was the start of the game's renaissance thanks to 2.0 and even 38A. I feel like nowadays SMBX requires more focus on community features like doing essential and needed changes to the website, or trying on hosting other tournaments though, the engines are fantastic, but I do feel like they get too much focus.
SMBX YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbYuy ... _z3srbCohQ
Latest Bells's Episode: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25034
(Currently on Hiatus)

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: semi-retired user, only interested in post ranks

Postby Cedur » Sun May 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Saltlord wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:35 pm
The present is SMBX's peak, given how much more is possible with the engine compared to a couple of years ago.

Not in terms of community activity though!
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Idunn
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I have Fury
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Idunn » Sun May 02, 2021 3:06 pm

Dunno I feel like the community is pretty active on the Discord Server as people share a lot of stuff with each other there.

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: semi-retired user, only interested in post ranks

Postby Cedur » Sun May 02, 2021 3:17 pm

They share stuff but it takes so much longer to make (because, standards). Not that this is a bad thing but it still leads to fewer levels and episodes

and the amount of forum posting has gone lower than until like 2017/18
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon May 03, 2021 1:02 pm

I believe that there is no single peak, but multiple.
The forums peaked around 2014-2015, Community Contests had a participant count of 70-80. But regarding level quality, I think the past 2 years are a major improvement thanks to both the sheer amount of features in Beta 4 and different design techniques being used.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

ElTipsta
Flurry
Flurry
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm

I'd probs say around 2013-2016 due to many of SMBX's best episodes releasing around that time as well as the feeling of connectivity between the community. Nothing will ever top the Tower of Bias series for me.. Some of the best SMBX levels ever made and in-jokes were part of that series in some way.

Additionally, many memorable, popular community users were active then but not anymore (ie. Valtteri). That's understandable though, life just goes on and many people have grown up and move onto other things.

Nowadays though, SMBX and it's editor has evolved significantly hence a new golden age is coming. So many new possibilities exist that weren't there five years ago and the editor is a lot more accessible and easier to use. I think I could make a full episode with it where I couldn't five years ago (aside from the ET's Tower of Tips level compliation hub episode i made and had forgotten about).
Yeah, I've been inactive for a while. Just stopped coming here for whatever reason. Sorry about that. Still, I'll be lurking around more often, especially as I now have a craving to make SMBX levels again.

Rhosty
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: haha koopa shell go bonk
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Rhosty » Wed May 05, 2021 1:23 pm

This might sound biased, but I think somewhere around 2016, users I've seen have come and gone, and some even reappear frequently from that time up to now, I actually didn't procrastinate and played a bunch of other user's levels and episodes before my pc took a shit
Spoiler: show
ImageI have a splatoon fanfic up if you want to check that out, it's not dead, I want to wait and see what Splatoon 3 is like so I can turn this into a Splatoon 3 fanfic.
My Switch friend code: SW-1004-3051-8456 (If you do decide to add me on Switch, pls pm me beforehand, I'll probably end up removing you on accident if I'm unaware of how you got my code)
selective mutism is a nuisance

Image(YT, not dead, just haven't had the time to upload content)

Sux
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Sux » Thu May 06, 2021 11:48 am

2012-2014 back then we had contests almost every 3 months and a amount of nice episodes. But I prefer the SMBX now, it offers much more options for our creativy, but I miss how the community was previously
I used to be a proeminent member here, after a long time out I've decided return to smbx...maybe

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Sux wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:48 am
2012-2014 back then we had contests almost every 3 months and a amount of nice episodes. But I prefer the SMBX now, it offers much more options for our creativy, but I miss how the community was previously
By the fact, I found the article at Habr that explains "We need limitations" and it had to show some examples like on how the "Jawels" film was in process and they had a lot of troubles with a robotic shark, so, they tried to not show it in the camera, and the idea of the film caused a big success for it, etc. Especially on how limitations making us be more tricky and hacky to produce something wonderful. For example, the old hardware didn't have so many resources as modern. etc.etc.
SMBX for Android, Moondust Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

TheXTech - modern port of SMBX, also for Android
SMBX on TheXTech Topic

Moondust Project (aka PGE)
Moondust Project SMBX Topic

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Return to “General”