why is SMBX still up?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
ditditdit
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Ditditdit: destroyer of good episodes

why is SMBX still up?

Postby ditditdit » Fri May 20, 2022 11:11 am

just wondering...

if nintendo knew there was a MUCH better and free version of a game they made, wouldn't they take it down?

thanks.

deice
Spike
Spike

Re: why is SMBX still up?

Postby deice » Fri May 20, 2022 11:30 am

nintendo did send a cease and desist to redigit, the original creator of smbx 1.3 a while back, but i don't think it was for that reason (i believe it had something to do with the domain it was hosted on??)

in any case, the number of people playing smbx compared to those buying (most importantly) and playing mario maker is so insignificant that i doubt it would be worth their time.

also, saying "free version of a game they made" is a bit of a misleading way to put it as smbx came out way before mario maker was even announced.
Last edited by deice on Fri May 20, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ditditdit
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Ditditdit: destroyer of good episodes

Postby ditditdit » Fri May 20, 2022 11:33 am

OH! i did not know smbx came first. thanks for the info.

KurttheKing98
Rex
Rex
Flair: Minecraft Legend/SMBX Creator/Nerd
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby KurttheKing98 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:07 pm

To be a bit more specific, it actually came out all the way back in 2009 :O 6 whole years before Super Mario Maker was even created...wow!

Flitretpa second
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Flitretpa second » Fri May 20, 2022 5:13 pm

I still use it since 2015

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Sun May 22, 2022 2:11 pm

There are many reasons why SMBX is still be in demand for a long time after original author stopped development:
- The concept of the game is a sort of the community sandbox, which people do use to craft own levels and episodes, share them around forum and other places, and play them together.
- Game is interested by hackers who attempts to modify/extend it, and since 2013 the LunaDLL as the first hack over SMBX got been made. Later it grown into LunaLua and X2 project got been build over it.
- Developers like me, Rednaxela, Axiom, Sambo, Docapoper, Kil, etc., developed various helper tools and kits that simplifies the work with SMBX resources
- There are alternative engines got been developed independently: Moondust Engine is the first working attempt (if not count the SMB:R and VSMBX prototypes made in the past) to re-implement the SMBX-compatible game engine which wasn't finished yet (and soon it will be rewritten); SMBX-38A game developed by 5438A38A Chinese guy and released since 2015; later mentioned X2 - the major extension mod over original game got been released; and TheXTech, the modern cross-platform boosted source port of original SMBX Engine got been released at 2020 after one month since original source code got been published after long time.

AToMIC
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: I'm here
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AToMIC » Mon May 23, 2022 3:38 pm

SMBx and its community not making any profit or anything finance wise from SMBx may be a key factor. There was a time a while ago where Nintendo did reach out and get involved, but I believe Nintendo was only after the URL of Smbx's OG website, which was conveniently www.SuperMarioBrothers.org. Nintendo probably tried to register the domain one day and saw that it lead to a fan game based off Mario. Whether it was them just wanting the URL or them trying to kill two birds with one stone by going after the game itself, I don't know.

If you use the URL nowadays it goes right to Nintendo's website.

Wrath666
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Anger & Hatred

Postby Wrath666 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:42 pm

The reason why Nintendo went after Redigit was because he was indirectly making money off the distribution of SMBX by running ads on the original website. Legally, this counts as making money off of a copyrighted IP & Nintendo gave the cease & desist notice to Redigit.

Return to “General”