Do I Stick with SMBX2, or Should I Try to Use 38A?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
KurttheKing98YT
Bit
Bit
Flair: Minecraft Legend/SMBX Creator/Nerd
Pronouns: He/Him

Do I Stick with SMBX2, or Should I Try to Use 38A?

Postby KurttheKing98YT » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:41 am

I'd really like to know which I should be using. It seems like both are
really good, but what's better to make an Episode in? If I hear mostly SMBX2, I'm going to stick with it. However, if I hear more 38A, I'll switch over. Or maybe I'll just use both. Whatever advice the community can give me, I'll be happy to take

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Do I Stick with SMBX2, or Should I Try to Use 38A?

Postby Enjl » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:33 pm

personal preference. whichever you have more fun using, really.

Lockjaw the Totodile
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Lockjaw the Totodile » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:30 am

Don't quote me on this one, but I think SMBX2 has a bigger install base than 38A.

However, at the end of the day, it's down to personal preference. You could give 38A a shot and see if you feel comfortable using it. Just use whichever one feels best to you. :)

Sapphire Bullet Bill
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Sapphire Bullet Bill » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:48 pm

KurttheKing98YT wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:41 am
I'd really like to know which I should be using. It seems like both are
really good, but what's better to make an Episode in? If I hear mostly SMBX2, I'm going to stick with it. However, if I hear more 38A, I'll switch over. Or maybe I'll just use both. Whatever advice the community can give me, I'll be happy to take
Use TheXTech. It's the best one by far.

deice
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby deice » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:32 pm

Sapphire Bullet Bill wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:48 pm
Use TheXTech. It's the best one by far.
while xtech undoubtedly has the best performance and platform compatibility out of any version, it is worth noting that by using it you'd be giving up most of the currently available community-made custom content (lunalua in smbx2 -- this also takes smbx2 basegame custom content out of the equation/teascript in 38a), which might not be a good trade-off depending on what you're looking for.

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:43 am

deice wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:32 pm
while xtech undoubtedly has the best performance and platform compatibility out of any version, it is worth noting that by using it you'd be giving up most of the currently available community-made custom content (lunalua in smbx2 -- this also takes smbx2 basegame custom content out of the equation/teascript in 38a), which might not be a good trade-off depending on what you're looking for.
TheXTech is a relatively young project and actively developing, and a lot of content has not yet been created for it, however, it can be used just to create a new one.

Or to play old projects created for SMBX 1.3. On my own behalf, I claim that TheXTech has the best compatibility with content for SMBX 1.3 and has a flexible system for setting compatibility in cases where some innovations break compatibility.

Anyway, as a player, if you going to play certain episode(s), you MUST use the native engine (for which the episode was been created). I.e.:
  • If an episode is made for SMBX2, you should use SMBX2.
  • If the episode is made for SMBX-38A, you should use SMBX-38A.
  • If the episode is made for TheXTech, you should use TheXTech.
You have a choice of engine for the case if you are a level/episode maker, and you want to utilise certain functionality of each engine or develop levels and episodes in a convenient way for you. All three engines (X2, 38A, and TheXTech) have different development workflows, different functionality, and different philosophy.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Expectations are the seed for disappointment.
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:04 pm

I'd argue TheXTech is the definitve way to play 1.3 and below content for the better support of other OS and the small QoL changes alone.

Aside from that, I'd say it's mostly personal preference.
Personally, I find it easier to use the editor for 38A than the one for X2 plus I have better knowledge of TeaScript which allows me to make things on my own - this is entirely subjective, though.

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:24 am

My friend HengShao makes a lot of "black magic" on SMBX-38A, and at the same time, he blames bugs in the engine that forces him to make tricky workarounds to dodge these bugs.

Return to “General”