PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.15, Engine v0.3.1)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Contact:

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:27 am

DubbleSnup wrote:Please help me. I'm trying to run the Android version. No matter what config pack I put in the /configs/ folder, it would just say "Configuration package is loaded with errors" and then it won't work. Please help me - what could be going wrong?
Sorry, Android version is VERY outdated... After some recent updates, new config packs are no more compatible with older versions (like this android app). I think, I'll rebuild it and reupload. However, I still need to disable an attempts to use the sound if Android build has been detected.

It was a small experiment to building a desktop version of the editor into Android. And the result is: it sucks: no way to open context menu; UI looks ugly and elements a bit overlapped; sound doesn't work, because SDL and Qt are not friendly on Android (attempt to manually initialize SDL under Qt application is failing and produces a crash in future). Therefore I plan to have an engine implementation only for Android and in future, editor for Android I'll build from scratch with completely independent UI implementation.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon
Image

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

Image
P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

DubbleSnup
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 am

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby DubbleSnup » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:31 am

Wohlstand wrote:
DubbleSnup wrote:Please help me. I'm trying to run the Android version. No matter what config pack I put in the /configs/ folder, it would just say "Configuration package is loaded with errors" and then it won't work. Please help me - what could be going wrong?
Sorry, Android version is VERY outdated... After some recent updates, new config packs are no more compatible with older versions (like this android app). I think, I'll rebuild it and reupload. However, I still need to disable an attempts to use the sound if Android build has been detected.

It was a small experiment to building a desktop version of the editor into Android. And the result is: it sucks: no way to open context menu; UI looks ugly and elements a bit overlapped; sound doesn't work, because SDL and Qt are not friendly on Android (attempt to manually initialize SDL under Qt application is failing and produces a crash in future). Therefore I plan to have an engine implementation only for Android and in future, editor for Android I'll build from scratch with completely independent UI implementation.
Oh okay... Hope you can update it. I understand it would suck but still, I'd like to try it out at least.

User avatar
Hernan23Pro
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Hernan23Pro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Hello,i downloaded PGE but this happens when i try to open it.

Image

What i do?
Image
Image
Image
Support: show
Image

User avatar
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Contact:

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 pm

Seems, this is a broken config pack, just try to download it again and unpack it into right place: http://wohlsoft.ru/config_packs/
Do you used installer or zips? Installer you must use most fresh, because legacy installer has broken paths and at now, self-update wasn't made yet.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon
Image

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

Image
P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

User avatar
Hernan23Pro
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Hernan23Pro » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 pm

I downloaded the pack from that page and it says i need to unzip it in configs,and if you say of the PGE installer,i downloaded the .zip file because the installer crashes at the middle of the download.
Image
Image
Image
Support: show
Image

User avatar
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Contact:

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Hernan23Pro wrote:i downloaded the .zip file because the installer crashes at the middle of the download
Shut-up your antivirus (or just add installer into exceptions, but shut it up if still fail) and retry.
Also, which OS you are using? I don't know, but on Win10 it may fail, or I need to check something around and maybe that has been fixed and I need to update installer itself.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon
Image

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

Image
P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

User avatar
Hernan23Pro
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Hernan23Pro » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm

I have Windows 7 SP1,and i need to find my antivirus (if i have one) before shutting it up.
Image
Image
Image
Support: show
Image

User avatar
Nexia
Bit
Bit
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Nexia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:43 am

Hi everyone~
As part of a planned gradual revamp of this project, we (the PGE's core contributors and devs) have decided to work towards getting serious about a new project name.

Here's a google forms poll link that everyone's invited to take a look at and select the checkboxes for names they think fit our criteria for a future project name.

Project Name Feedback form

Namely our criteria is essentially that the project name should be simple, fitting and an attractive choice for being associated with PGE's core user-purpose and ideas.

Suggestions for a name not listed may be submitted using the 'Other' checkbox option provided in the form along with an explanation (provided at the bottom of the form) if possible.

Currently the poll is set to last for 6 days (subject to change). An optional tiebreaker might be held if necessary.

Here's hoping we'll hear from you all! Extended discussion or comments for particular name(s) are also encouraged to be posted in this thread or alternatively here.

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:39 am

I think PGE is fine as it is, no need to change it to something fancy.
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Enjl » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 am

Snessy the duck wrote:I think PGE is fine as it is, no need to change it to something fancy.
Remember how Skype is actually called "Bad Microsoft Online Communication Program" or "BMOCP" for short and how Steam is called "Video Game Hub and Community Center" or "VGHCC". Yeah. Names are worthless.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

User avatar
The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:17 am

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Enjl wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:I think PGE is fine as it is, no need to change it to something fancy.
Remember how Skype is actually called "Bad Microsoft Online Communication Program" or "BMOCP" for short and how Steam is called "Video Game Hub and Community Center" or "VGHCC". Yeah. Names are worthless.
I'm not quite sure whether this comment is saying that the name change is a good thing, or a bad thing, or whether it's just saying that you don't really care what it's called, but I agree with Snessy the duck on this, I think PGE is a good name for it as it basically sums up what it actually is and does, and that's what I think works best as a name. However, that isn't to say the name HAS to be directly linked to what it actually is, as long as it's a good name and people will know what you're talking about when you use that name.
I support: show
Image
Image
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
Spoiler: show
rockythechao wrote:Image

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Enjl » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:27 pm

My comment was purely sarcastic. "Platformer Game Engine" is a very bad name for a product. Just look at the google search results:
Image
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

User avatar
Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2527
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: squid kid

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Rhosty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm

I've just thought up a weird name for PGE, "Cat Creator's Contrivance" sry i have an obsession with alliterations, I'm not that great at names

User avatar
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Contact:

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Enjl wrote:My comment was purely sarcastic. "Platformer Game Engine" is a very bad name for a product. Just look at the google search results:
Image
I also wanted to tell same (but is very inconvenient to replying by phone while going between subway lines and with bad network and ad-filled Wi-Fi :-P)

I just want to append that "PGE" was decided as working title and released game engine project must take better and unique name with sense (more useful than just referencing to author's interests and personality, I.e. For example (not a name, but mascot character) just example: https://www.snort.org/ this is a software which detects network attacks, The pig has sense: it referring bad guys who are invading your firewalls with bad purposes).
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon
Image

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

Image
P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

User avatar
Nexia
Bit
Bit
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Nexia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 pm

I feel like this is necessary to give a possible idea of why this feedback form exists in the first place. (Note that changing mascots isn't out of the question either.)
Here's two main reasons of why I personally think PGE or Platformer Game Engine isn't good enough.
  • It's too complicated as a name instead of something straightforward, easily recognizable and simple I think it's important to realize that that something simpler could attract interested contributors more easily)
  • Too generic.
  • Getting seen in search engine results is subsequently more difficult due to that genericness.
(And yes I got ninja'd above regarding some of those points already, darn :P)
Something like Vulare is not only based loosely on 'Vulpine', a term related to foxes (Not at all an exclusive or important factor for consideration but the lead project dev does have an affinity for foxes in the project) but also simple and straightforward while being a unique name for a FOSS project at least as far as I can see.
//personal take
Last edited by Nexia on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in blatant forum signature copypasta exploiting someone's religion as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
Discord username/ID: show
________#8888
Interesting ad.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2527
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: squid kid

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Rhosty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Nexia wrote:I feel like this is necessary to give a possible idea of why this feedback form exists in the first place. (Note that changing mascots isn't out of the question either.)
Here's two main reasons of why I personally think PGE or Platformer Game Engine isn't good enough.
  • It's too complicated as a name instead of something straightforward, easily recognizable and simple. (Something different could make it easier to attract contributors)
  • Too generic.
  • Getting seen in search engine results is subsequently more difficult due to that genericness partly.
(And yes I got ninja'd above regarding some of those points already, darn :P)
Something like Vulare is not only based loosely on 'Vulpine', a term related to foxes (Not at all an exclusive or important factor for consideration but the lead project dev does have an affinity for foxes in the project) but also simple and straightforward while being a unique name for a FOSS project at least as far as I can see.
//personal take
I thought PGE's mascot was a cat?

User avatar
Nexia
Bit
Bit
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Nexia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote: I thought PGE's mascot was a cat?
No. It's rather only currently the project's mascot for the logo/branding. That has been subject to change from the very start however, since Platformer Game Engine was a decided in-place project name until we could decide on a solid/more permanent name. TL;DR: The cat was something like a candidate for being a mascot in the long run, not a decided choice.

If necessary we'll work towards a logo/mascot design that fits a decided newer project name better.
i also feel that cat IMHO looks scary sometimes ;o
I believe in blatant forum signature copypasta exploiting someone's religion as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
Discord username/ID: show
________#8888
Interesting ad.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:04 am

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:31 am

I can see that the name may be a bit too generic, so I think either Vulare or Vulkat would be good chocies, because Lunarpie or Moonpepper just sound weird. I'd go with Vulkat though if the mascot ends up being a fox.

Edit: Another thing, I'd recommend that you get a better translator, since there's some cases of Bad English in PGE.
Image

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Image

User avatar
Nexia
Bit
Bit
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Nexia » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Snessy the duck wrote: Edit: Another thing, I'd recommend that you get a better translator, since there's some cases of Bad English in PGE.
That's partly why a redesign of some of the structure of the project is being encouraged in the long run (including the name), but it's important to note that PGE is fully free and open source software. This also means we welcome contributors to help us fix and improve any aspect of the software from language translations to things slightly more technical such as programming bugs.
I believe in blatant forum signature copypasta exploiting someone's religion as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
Discord username/ID: show
________#8888
Interesting ad.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Fuyu
Wart
Wart
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.12, Engine v0.2.6)

Postby Fuyu » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Nexia wrote:That's partly why a redesign of some of the structure of the project is being encouraged in the long run (including the name), but it's important to note that PGE is fully free and open source software. This also means we welcome contributors to help us fix and improve any aspect of the software from language translations to things slightly more technical such as programming bugs.
That's a good thing. And really there is no better spanish translator than somebody who speaks it flutently, aka me, or SupahKoopah (to name other people). I'm offering my service if needed for the spanish translation.
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests