PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.15, Engine v0.3.1)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.13, Engine v0.3)

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:Wait a moment, they are compatible with SMBX? because I've seen some things don't work with SMBX like the portal warp and the worldmap custom music
Dummy elements WILL work on vanilla SMBX 1.3 engine, but, only when you have any image in ./graphics/*/ folder which a "default image of dummy". Therefore "SMBX Integration" config pack does automatical copyng of those pictures into default SMBX's graphics folder when you doing a configuring of config pack. Hower, without Lua, there are less usable except of blocks, BGOs, and extra world map elements.
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:Wait a moment, they are compatible with SMBX? because I've seen some things don't work with SMBX like the portal warp and the worldmap custom music
Dummy elements WILL work on vanilla SMBX 1.3 engine, but, only when you have any image in ./graphics/*/ folder which a "default image of dummy". Therefore "SMBX Integration" config pack does automatical copyng of those pictures into default SMBX's graphics folder when you doing a configuring of config pack. Hower, without Lua, there are less usable except of blocks, BGOs, and extra world map elements.
I like blocks, I'll like to have extra elements in my worldmap, I'll like extra BGOs...

so they are very usable in my case!

My project:

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
I like blocks, I'll like to have extra elements in my worldmap, I'll like extra BGOs...

so they are very usable in my case!
One note!
If you will use dummies with SMBX2, there are used together with lua to provide lots of new elements include their mechanics, and if you will try to use them in your level/episode, there are will work differently. So, use them carefully or notify that your levels/episodes (where you have used dummies) will work validly with Vanilla-SMBX, Clean LunaLua-SMBX (independent LunaLua installation outside of SMBX2), and "SMBX 1.3 Compatibility" config pack for PGE which keeps vanilla stuff as-is.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:10 pm

One note!
If you will use dummies with SMBX2, there are used together with lua to provide lots of new elements include their mechanics, and if you will try to use them in your level/episode, there are will work differently. So, use them carefully or notify that your levels/episodes (where you have used dummies) will work validly with Vanilla-SMBX, Clean LunaLua-SMBX (independent LunaLua installation outside of SMBX2), and "SMBX 1.3 Compatibility" config pack for PGE which keeps vanilla stuff as-is.
It does apply to SMBX2 or both? I've just used them for extra scenery and levels in my worldmap

My project:

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
One note!
It does apply to SMBX2 or both? I've just used them for extra scenery and levels in my worldmap
SMBX2 only. Vanilla never used them as there are originally reserved slots.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
One note!
Puff, I got scared, thank you again sir

My project:

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
For the record, SMBX2 is becoming the standard.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Wohlstand wrote: SMBX2 only. Vanilla never used them as there are originally reserved slots.
For the record, SMBX2 is becoming the standard.
That's true. But still I'm not interested in SMBX2. I'm happy enough with SMBX 1.3.0.1 and PGE

My project:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 pm

I have another question, why does the worldmap let you put custom music when you can't hear it? o_O

My project:

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:I have another question, why does the worldmap let you put custom music when you can't hear it? o_O
It's PGE-Engine (and SMBX-38a) only feature which will not work with vanilla stuff. However, LunaLua would handle them when WLDX format will be supported by it. SMBX-64 Standard(tech stuff of SMBX 1.3) disallows to have custom musics on world map.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:02 pm

And... I tried the dummy GFXs but the problem with them is that when you try to test a level that does have dummy blocks then appears a error message saying that the number of X dummy doesn't exist and then the game is closed

My project:

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:11 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:And... I tried the dummy GFXs but the problem with them is that when you try to test a level that does have dummy blocks then appears a error message saying that the number of X dummy doesn't exist and then the game is closed
I already told that you must to creatre "default" graphics with same IDs as dummy elements in the SMBX's graphics folders.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:54 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:And... I tried the dummy GFXs but the problem with them is that when you try to test a level that does have dummy blocks then appears a error message saying that the number of X dummy doesn't exist and then the game is closed
I already told that you must to creatre "default" graphics with same IDs as dummy elements in the SMBX's graphics folders.
And that's what I did, but when I try to test a level that does have at least 1 dummy then a message is showed, something like "background-639 doesn't exist"

My project:

Charlie59876
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: Charlie59876

Postby Charlie59876 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:03 am

How do you add custom grapghics to this engine without replacing existing ones? i've seen people do it before so im pretty sure it's possible but don't know how to get the .tileset.ini files with the pictures?

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 am

Charlie59876 wrote:How do you add custom grapghics to this engine without replacing existing ones? i've seen people do it before so im pretty sure it's possible but don't know how to get the .tileset.ini files with the pictures?
adding to the editor is trivial
adding to the SMBX engine is very difficult
it's not a matter of adding "graphics"

Malah02
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: Malah02

Postby Malah02 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:29 am

Wohlstand wrote:

Welcome to the PGE project!

Contents
- Introduction
- Technical details
- Development plan
- Researching the original SMBX fangame
- Download Editor and experimental Engine!

Introduction
Hi there!

This is a major revision to this topic's main post to announce my project called "Platformer Game Engine Project" (short is PGE Project),
the code-name being "PlatGenWohl".

So what exactly is this? this is a free and open source alternative, advanced and exchanged implementation of SMBX's game engine which 100% compatible with them. The main parts of it contain would be a game engine and a toolkit for creating games.

One of the purposes of the project is a giving to SMBX game a new technical platform which should continue SMBX life after abandonment with giving able to add new stuff: new playable characters, new NPC's, new blocks, new BGO, more progressive backgrounds and more freedom with customization. The second purpose is giving able to use this SMBX-like game engine more useful to creating other non-Mario games.

I've been working on this project since at least December 2013, and after lots of hours spent in researching of SMBX 1.3 mechanics, I've figured out a way to retain compatibility with SMBX. This, in my opinion, is very significant as there are a lot of episodes and levels made for SMBX out there. And having a better implementation of that we can open/play/save in the original SMBX64 format is very much in need.

Currently only the editor is available. And you can actually already use this as an alternative (and much better) editor for creating/editing levels for SMBX 1.3/1.3.0.1

Technical details
Spoiler: show
I'm quite aware of the fact that VisualBasic (in which SMBX is written) is too slow for the type of purpose SMBX is created for. That's one of the reasons I'm creating my engine in C++ along with OpenGL, which means it should have much more productivity. And with the Qt library, the new engine should be able to have itself compiled on different platforms (such as Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.).
While it would have been ideal if the source code for SMBX was available, we're working on adding support for SMBX via reverse engineering instead.
Have any suggestions for this new engine? Feel free to suggest them in the (PGE forum) thread linked here: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71

Development plan
1) [completed] The reverse engineering phase, which is researching the original SMBX engine, is almost complete.
2) [released] Developing the the level/world editor - Periodically I upload updated alpha versions for everyone to test new features and give feedback or report bugs.
3) [In process] Developing the engine part for play games and allow test levels in the editor.

"SMBX64" Standard: research works of the original SMBX fangame

All the documents on what I've researched, are available on this page

Download Editor!
This is a new, more advanced and featured editor which you can use for SMBX. This editor giving more flexible interface, a more smart system with bug protections, with Multi-File support, with customizable tilesets and counters, with multi-selecting, copy-pasting, context menu, exporting of huge screenshots of whole sections or world maps, etc...

Editor

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Get current version:
Note: If you looking up for engine controlling, read this text file. In next builds of engine I will add ability to set up custom control keys.

Online installer
Image Get Online Installer for Windows. Online installer will download and install all necessary stuff automatically!

Portable packages
Standalone archives are including Editor, Engine, Playable Character Sprite Calibrator, GIFs2PNG, PNG2GIFs and LazyFix Tool. To get PGE working you must download one of configuration packages here

Image Download PGE for Win32

Image Download PGE for Win64

Image Download PGE for Linux Mint/Ubuntu

Image Download PGE for Mac OS X

Image Download experimental Android built of PGE Editor 0.3.0.1
(Recommended usage on tablets. Sound and music are not works. Install config pack into /sdcard/PGE Project data/configs folder)

READ THIS. Important info about PGE Engine
==============================================
Defautl controlls: <can be cusetomized in the controllers menu>
Arrows:
--------------------
left-right - walk
Up/Down - enter into door/pipe
--------------------
Z - (jump) / enter to level from world map [on German keyboard will work Y key instead by unknown for me reasons :P]
X - (run)
A - (alt-jump) (Temporary, fly up, use it to get inaccessible heights without vines!)
S - (alt-run) (Temporary, tail-whipping to destroy any blocks over face,
S+UP - destroy blocks over head,
S+Down - destroy blocks under self)

Engine reserved keys and key combinations
Ctrl+F - Toggle fullscreen mode

"~" - opens text input box in the levels where you can type special commands:
------------------
==Level specific commands:==
donthurtme - enable/disable god mode (the player will don't get from dangerous surfaces and will dont burn in lava)
iamsuperman - player has ability to fly up via alt-jump key
chucknorris - player via alt-run key will be able destroy any nearest object except BGO's, warps and other playable characters
iwishexitas X - exit from level with code X (replace X with unsigned integer
(usually from 1 to 8. Exit code hints you can take from a world map editor))
takesecretkeychain - enable/disable debug keys

==World specific commands:==
illparkwhereiwant - allows walking anywhere on world map

==Common commands==
redigitiscool - spawns a dummy message box, doing nothing. Try to type same command in the SMBX engine!
wohlstandiscool, kevsoftiscool, raocowiscool, joeyiscool - same as redigitiscool, but with another messages.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter, Esc - pause/resume game, show pause menu

F2 - enable/disable drawing a debug rectangles of physical engine (render all hitboxes)
F3 - enable/disable printing of debug information

F12 - take screenshot (will be saved in the 'screenshots' folder which will be in PGE folder or in the %UserProfile%\.PGE_Project).
Screenshots will be written into PNG format and will have timedate based filename.

=======Debug keys=(disabled by default, to enable them, press "~" key and type 'takesecretkeychain')=======
F5 - pause/resume physical loopsteps. Used while collisions are debugged
F6 - enable slow mode of physical loopsteps. Everything will go slow. Used while collisions are debugged.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 degits keys - spawn something effect (made temporary while effects system are debugged)
7, 8, 9, 0 - Toggle playable character and it's state:
- 7 decrease character ID
- 8 increase character ID
- 9 decrease character state ID
- 0 increase character state ID
Source code
Image Download source code (zip)

Image Download source code (tar.gz)

Image How to build project for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X

Don't forget to check this page for updates!
    Also you can get more configuration packages here:
    Image Check out the configuration packages list

Help documents
    Image Wiki-page about Editor with common usage guide

Image Read Online Guide

Image FAQ

How to install configuration package into the editor (for OS X version read about here)
    • Open the editor's application folder
    • Open the configs folder. If it is not exist, create them!
    • Open downloaded archive with config pack and extract contents into configs directory, you must have config subdirectory with installed config pack.

If you looking for most fresh DEV-builds, welcome to laboratory:

Image Wohlstand's Laboratory (Grab the very latest experimental builds for Windows and Linux Mint/Ubuntu here)

Videos:
    Platformer Game Engine (PGE) [Super Mario Bros. X (SMBX)] v0.0.10 pre-alpha - playthrough

Platformer Game Engine (PGE) [Super Mario Bros. (SMBX)] v0.0.8 pre-alpha - Gameplay Footage

Built-in level testing with PGE Engine part

Simple Firebars!

Run SMBX-test from PGE Editor (SMBX needed for LunaLUA 0.5.3 and higher)

PGE 0.1-alpha Trailer and common features reviewing

Legend of PlatGenWohl! - The development walk of PGE Editor from scratch to 0.1 state
    Made with Gource and Adobe Premiere by Kevsoft
    Support banners
    Small (by BMatSantos)

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10913][img]http://wohlsoft.ru/images/logos/pge_banner.png[/img][/url]

Small with cat logo (by BMatSantos, edit by Wohlstand)

[url=http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10913][img]http://wohlsoft.ru/images/logos/pge_banner_2.png[/img][/url]

Big with transparent background

[url=http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10913][img]http://wohlsoft.ru/images/logos/pge_small_logo_286x87.png[/img][/url]

Big with background:

[url=http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10913][img]http://wohlsoft.ru/images/logos/pge_small_logo_286x87_bkg.png[/img][/url]

Don't forget, PlatGEnWohl - is a codename of project, and need to get end name for release of project
    Names for this project's end release topic

Notes:
    If you have problems with graphics render, please, see this topic first:

http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=142
    ...or write (post here, on our forum, or PM to me) to me about found bugs, this is most important

If you have problem with music playback, please, read this:
    1) Check "Play music" button

2) If some MP3 files don't wanna play, please, check playable by your player, have you all necessary codecs?
    If you haven't some codecs, please, install them (for Windows systems I recommend the K-Lite Mega pack, or you can install other).
    - Will be better, if you reconvert your MP3 files with poor codecs to standard MP3-format (MPEG Layer III, 320 Mbps Voice Quality, [don't use 128 Mbps, don't kill audio quality!])
    - you also can reconvert to WAV. WAV will be played by ANY players (Only if uncompressed format. If did applied codec, need to install them!).
    Regroupement de prêt
    3) [For PGE Editor 0.2.0 and newer] If music playing is noisy and buggy, please check sample rate of this file (should be 44100 Hz), because all musics to be played in the united audio stream should be re-sampled into uniform sample rate, if sample rate is not same, music will be re-sampled in real time mode. Real-time re-sampling is not good for CPU and can cause noises or wrong playback. Re-sample your music into 44100 Hz and retry to add them into PGE.

Watch current Source:
    Image https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PGE-Project
    (Using Qt 5.2.1, min >=Qt 5.0.0), Can by compile under Windows (MinGW), Linux (GNU Compiler) and MacOS

How to build
    Image How to build project for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X

If the project was pleasant, I invite you to support my project or to join it!
    Our project community
    Hello, thank you for your sharing, so interesting

TheNewGuy
    Eerie
    Eerie
    Chat Username: TNG

Postby TheNewGuy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 am

Please don't post huge quotes.
    I support:

Pseudo
    Peach
    Peach
    Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Malah02 wrote:Hello, thank you for your sharing, so interesting
    Please don't quote huge posts like this, thanks. There's no need to quote the first post of a thread, generally.
    Love and Tolerance FTW!!
    previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
    - a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

MrVaderSpino
    Fighter Fly
    Fighter Fly
    Current Project: Spino's Journey 1.4.4(38A) Progress is 15.25% before post a Forum.
    Chat Username: KingBillSeeker666

Postby MrVaderSpino » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Mine Its Working Again! :D
    Making Custom Levels Already Soon...
    I Waiting in SMBX2 beta 4..
    i am Currently Participating In Other Projects
    My Quotes In SMBX.
    GforGoomba wrote:Are you sure removing slopes is cool?
    Meepyglobix wrote: DON'T SAY "Banned My Acount??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
    iphtechnologies wrote:NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2.7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
    Please find similar post:
    Neo Super Mario World X is Expensively in largest File is 2.7GB? Are your cannot Download they because Expensive Stored in Too Many Files?
    Does Having Wasting Time...

SE40
    Bit
    Bit
    Flair: es-eee-fourty
    Current Project: 0_Night
    Chat Username: SE40#6272

Postby SE40 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Wow, PGE was much simpler than I thought. I can see I have been very conservative sticking with the original editor :D
    OT: What are "dummy blocks"? And what is the difference between LunaTester and normal testing?
    P.k.a. Dex

Join my NEW discord server: https://discord.gg/yxxEnh8

Return to “General”