Forest Level Contest (THE GOOD RESULTS ARE IN!!!!!)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Forest Level Contest (THE GOOD RESULTS ARE IN!!!!!)

Postby The Thwomp King » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:21 pm

If you see my signature, I'm clearly having trouble thinking of a term that puts all tree like biomes into one title (because Nature can refer to beyond that, and I'm brain dead).
But yes there's a wide range of level themes you could roll with this still such as:
Spoiler: show
Forest
Marsh
Swamp
Bog
Taiga
Pine Woods
Cabin
Snow/Ice Forest
Savannah
Jungle
Mangroove
Overgrowth
Forest Temple
Brambles
Seasonal Effects Allowed
Plant Life Invading Ruins
Underwater Plant-theme
Etc
RULES
Don't put your name in any of the files
Don't post any screenshots of the level nor a download link in the comments
You must submit your level before the deadline.
You may only submit one level, if you send two levels the second will be disqualified.
No joke levels, joke levels will not be judged.
Give your level a unique name. Nothing random or funky though.
Plantlife theme required (look at the list above for ideas, or pm this guy if I missed something)
Level can end in any fashion.
Custom Graphics are allowed
Custom Music is optional
Adding a boss is optional
LUNADLL or LUNALUA is accepted
-I do not have either programs I'm afraid, but if the codes aren't a major factor then that's fine. PM me with issues.

The Judges
The Thwomp King
MECHDRAGON777
Ludwig von Koopa
witchking666
TBD

The Contestants (BOLDED = TURNED IN)
andialifbatara
RoundPiplup
Suckerman7 GM
HealthyMario
witchking666
Ludwig von Koopa
sewpah
Youmu Konpaku
Ghostly_Guy
Shinbison-Kof
TheKingOfBoos
litchh
TBD

Graphics
Reply on here if you want some graphics, but I'm aware that many of the more popular graphics packs will probably have what you need.

Sending Levels
Pm me levels that I will pm to other judges.

JUDGING
The Thwomp King
Midori Forest - Sewpah

This is what I find to be a standard forest level, and that’s not particularly a bad thing. I thought the level was pretty well done, but with a lack of a good gimmick to it. This leaves the level harder to be interesting and I sadly don’t find this level to be too memorable. The music was fitting with the background and scenery looking pretty fair. I didn’t find many major issues with this either honestly, but the shy guys didn’t really seem to fit in though. The mid-boss fight wasn’t too interesting, but not using the actual birdo npc is good as well as making the hammer damage no matter the touch. I think overall it’s a okay level, but I would say the level lacks replay value.
4.8/10

Maple Mountain - TheKingofBoos

I always thought that Maple Treeway should have it’s own sort of level in a future Mario game. The music works, and the scenery is good of course. There were some clashes here and there though, like the spike tops for one. The death effects of the pigs was funky too, being in a squished position even when i don’t jump on them. I wasn’t aware I couldn’t jump on them either, so that was disappointing but understanding I suppose. I like the wigglers a lot though, and I might implement those into a future level I might make whenever I get the opportunity to make levels again. There are some unique aspects that were attempted, but they didn’t really work for me and I think they need to be reworked. I don’t believe lava should be in this level either for what I saw prior. I appreciate the thought put into the level and it wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t the best level.
4.2/10

Forest and Magic - litchh

I kinda like the visuals you presented, but the execution wasn’t with them. The level was short and it wasn’t bad, but there could’ve been more too it. The enemies weren’t too interesting from the npcs they replaced, so I think you could implement them better or add more interesting variants. I will say the use of the poison mushroom was nice, and the music and graphics were pleasant too. I wish there was more to this level, but for now it’s another average .
4.3/10

A Typical Forest - roundpiplup

This level looked great! I find smb1 levels to be the most limited in visuals and scenery, but you proved that the background and graphics can be astounding! I never saw an smb1 level with forest graphics, and they looked awesome like I said before. As for the level itself, it was pretty fun. With what was given,I though the length of the level was pretty perfect. NPC placement needs a slight touch up here and there with paragoombas and paratroopas getting stuck under blocks. The water and fish helped save the level from being boring and kept me on my toes. I find the title should be renamed because it’s somewhat misleading, making it seem like a boring old forest. Overall, excellent job with this level by creating great atmosphere and nice gameplay for it.
8.8/10

Fuzzy Frenzy Forest - Harvey36Dice

Well this level was a great one to close on out of the five levels I played. The visuals were great, but I didn’t really find the DKC3 music fitting for this level. There’s another song from DKC3 that’s more oriented towards forest levels so I recommend using that song instead if anything. Anyway, I thought the level was well made with many good timed events and the fuzzies weren’t abused for the gimmick. There were some events that really required precision to be activated, so it leaves only one way to do certain tasks like getting the A coin. I don’t think you should’ve been as forgiving with the many power-ups either during the second half of the level. Lastly, the npcs seemed slightly spammed in this with some clustered sections, so that might be something to fix. Overall this was an excellent level still and it had good atmosphere!
8.6/10
Ludwig von Koopa
Midori Forest (5.9)
This level was pretty nice, it had nice music, graphics, and the overall gameplay was good. But, when you pressed the green switch, and travel there again, you'll be stuck, so that's my reason to not give this a really high score.

Maple Mountain (6.96)
This level is rather cool, I like how you based your level of Maple Treeway from Mario Kart Wii. I love the Big Wiggler gimmick, and the music is really cool. Although, I did think the "run for the lava pig" part and the ending of the level were pretty weird.

Forest of Magic (6.11)
Well, this level was rather weird. I like the music and graphics and the gameplay is rather nice. I like the way you used the poison mushrooms.

A Typical Forest (7.33)
This is a really nice SMB1 forest level! The graphics are really nice and the music fits pretty well. I really enjoyed playing this, I like the way you used the line platforms and volcano plants. Good job!

Fuzzy Frenzy Forest (8.12)
This level is really good!, I really like the atmosphere and music in this level. I also like the gimmick with the Fuzzys which you have to dodge and the appearing "fences". You did a really good job on this level!
PixelPest
Entry 1: 4.2/10
This was a relatively short and unexciting level. The layout in this level was often very tight and somewhat unfair with the placement of NPCs in those tight spaces. The use of so many different types and styles of NPCs in this level made it look really messy. This was mainly because of the fact that SMB3 NPCs face directly forward, YI goombas and Shy Guys face somewhat to the side, and the tanooki goombas face directly sideways. The switch search was too easy, as it was too obvious where they were, and they weren’t overly difficult to hit. The mid-boss battle was also quite boring and nothing special. “Leaf coin” (Dragon coin) placement was mostly well done throughout the level although normal coin placement was often uneven and not great. The spiny egg generators in the last section also weren’t necessary and didn’t seem to make sense, since they just fell out of the air and didn’t really add much to or take away from the difficulty and enjoyment of the level.

Entry 2: 6.8/10
Yay! Hedgepigs! This level was actually quite enjoyable. Although it was challenging it was never unfair, and the different challenges were somewhat interesting. The “Climbing Puzzle” wasn’t really much of a puzzle, but it was still fun. The race with the hedgepig was not much of a race at all, since after you get a screen ahead of the hedgepig, its position resets. The death effects for the hedgepigs were also messed up because even after hitting it with a shell its death effect made it look like it was squished. It was also frustrating if you accidentally killed a giant wiggler with a shell, because it would then be impossible to pass that area without losing your power-up. It would have been cool if you could have done something, like if the wiggler is killed, a bridge appears with some coins, so that you can still get across and receive an award. The hedgepigs and snails also looked off on the slopes due to their long flat bodies. It might have been a better idea to only have them on flat ground. I did enjoy playing this level overall though. Great job!

Entry 3: 3.5/10
This level was very unique but short and not overly well done. The style for the most part was very interesting but the normal Super Mushroom and SMB1 coins did not fit at all. NPC placement was okay, although it seemed kind of random and didn’t present much of a challenge or an interesting gameplay experience. Coin placement was somewhat sparse throughout most of the level and so were BGOs, which I don’t think there were any of. Even though the level was short, I don’t think I really would’ve wanted it to be longer because of the level’s linear-ness and overall boring gameplay. The graphics for the most part were quite interesting though.

Entry 4: 9.5/10
This level was really enjoyable. NPC placement was challenging and even though there were a great variety of NPCs in close proximity, the level didn’t seem clustered at all. The atmosphere in this level was better than any of the forest levels and made the experience more pleasant. The incorporation of the water later in the level was a great idea to keep the level interesting and while it wasn’t overly long, the length was still quite enjoyable. Overall, this level’s pleasant, foresty? atmosphere is what earned it such a high score from me. Definitely not just a typical forest.

Entry 5: 7.9/10
This level was also very well designed and had a great atmosphere. I really enjoyed the many gimmicks introduced throughout the level, although the last one to do with the green coins changing platform tracks should have been used more. The maker of this level also had a somewhat milder diagnosis of Plant-In-Every-Pipe Syndrome. There were just too many piranha plants, especially in the first section. The variation in this level was really nice, although there was a little bit of NPC overkill in some areas and it was just a bit too clustered. In section 4, it was also not a good idea to stop building blocks past a certain point, because I stumbled into a pit and found all of your laziness strewn out before me. I quite enjoyed playing this level even if it was a bit too tough at times. Note to maker: Geronimo!
THE RESULTS

Results
1st place - roundpiplup - 8.54/10
2nd - Harvey36Dice - 8.21/10
3rd - TheKingofBoos - 5.99/10
4th - Sewpah - 4.97/10
5th - litchh - 4.64/10

Congratulations to roundpiplup for the win in this contest!!! Thank you guys for your patience with these results and I appreciate the participation.
Stay tuned for the results for the Haunted Level Contest soon to come!!! Don't forget the deadline for the visual contest is coming soon as well.

Note: Any additional judge reviews I have not yet received will be accepted and accounted for.
Last edited by The Thwomp King on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Re: Forest Level Contest (Deadline September 30th!!!)

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:09 am

I want to judge, but can you remove two words from your original post? (Same word used twice) Please, it is disturbing!

ImageImageImage

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 am

Hmm... Looks like I'll have to figure out a way to get LunaLua to work properly by September 30.

EDIT: Also I'm joining(once, twice, triple, quadruple times).
Last edited by RoundPiplup on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Past still haunts me.

Seker Sin
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Seker Sin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:55 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I want to judge, but can you remove two words from your original post? (Same word used twice) Please, it is disturbing!
Uhm sorry but whats so disturbing when he used the word sexy twice? I dunno what the deal is with Sexy Judges and Sexy contestants.

Gözden uzak olan gönülden de uzak olur

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby The Thwomp King » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:49 am

Sibel wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I want to judge, but can you remove two words from your original post? (Same word used twice) Please, it is disturbing!
Uhm sorry but whats so disturbing when he used the word sexy twice? I dunno what the deal is with Sexy Judges and Sexy contestants.
I won't even argue. XD hahaha

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Current Project: Howling
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:07 pm

yup i'll join
Yea... I'm back, but with different view.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

HealthyMario
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby HealthyMario » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Can the level mix with other themes as well (eg forest+water)

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Christ mam you need to stop shitting out all of these contests out, there are too many contests for you to handle.
Plus they'll give you a weird reputation.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: none
Chat Username: Ludwig

Postby Erik » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:18 pm

I can judge this if you want.

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby The Thwomp King » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:56 pm

HealthyMario wrote:Can the level mix with other themes as well (eg forest+water)
Yes that's perfectly fine.

Superiorstar wrote:Christ mam you need to stop shitting out all of these contests out, there are too many contests for you to handle.
Plus they'll give you a weird reputation.
Oh I'm fine with being known for hosting monthly contests. I think once I get a system down this won't be an issue at all, and I'm staring to get the hang of it. It's keeping me active to the forums too which I wouldn't mind sticking around for a longer amount of time as compared to 5 years ago when I was much more immature and inexperienced.

Plus I'm well-aware many users want more motivation to build up their episodes, so why not make contests each month where I have a good chance to motivate people to make levels for their benefit of progressing in their projects and have the competition of a contest. My biggest issue is having prizes, so I just need one user to help with that.

LordYoshi999
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Chat Username: hmmm I wonder

Postby LordYoshi999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 pm

I guess I could join even though I'm working on someone else's episode right now. I'll TRY :pppppppp
sorry nothing to see here

TheKingOfBoos
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: ROIP

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm out this time. Sorry TTK, I have a lot on my plate (mostly school :S ). I can however provide graphics for the October contest, at least. (I know we talked about that but I'm just reminding you :) )
<TheKingOfBoos> I don't speak non-american, shadowstar, I have no idea how hot that is
<Kogasa> it's like 92-93 in patriot units
<Merve> TKOB for next mod
Support the GGP! Put this in your signature!
I support:
ImageImageImageImage

LordYoshi999
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Chat Username: hmmm I wonder

Postby LordYoshi999 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:22 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:I'm out this time. I have a lot on my plate
What he said but with some differences (Sorry man :( )
sorry nothing to see here

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Chat Username: Ludwig

Postby Erik » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I don't think savanna is something that should be allowed in a forest contest.

Suckerman7 GM
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: A Mario Fan
Current Project: Writing lores for DrMekar's project, beta-testing...
Chat Username: Suckerman7 GM

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 am

I want to join!

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby The Thwomp King » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:I don't think savanna is something that should be allowed in a forest contest.
Why's that? I'm just curious of your opinion.

HealthyMario
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby HealthyMario » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Well, I'll give it a shot!

Ghostly_Guy
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Ghostly_Guy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:10 am

I'll join!
Forest levels seem like a great idea!
They're always my favorite parts of episodes.
Check out my nonexistent project!

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:21 am

I'll participate!

TheKingOfBoos
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: ROIP

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Changed my mind. I'm in.
<TheKingOfBoos> I don't speak non-american, shadowstar, I have no idea how hot that is
<Kogasa> it's like 92-93 in patriot units
<Merve> TKOB for next mod
Support the GGP! Put this in your signature!
I support:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”