I need some brainstorming

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Shidomaru
Pokey
Pokey

I need some brainstorming

Postby Shidomaru » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Well... Lesson learned. Never make an episode where the player is a kawaii anime girl ¬_¬ In fact, never make any episodes that have more than one or two anime characters unless they're static NPCs for talking! ...Sadly, this limits me greatly because my brain is full of anime.

So... Here's the thing: I'm planning to make a Super Mario Bros. X episode with actual Mario in it so I don't have to go around bothering artists with impossible requests. But here's the catch: The only thing Bowser ever does is kidnap Peach! If I do a Mario vs. Bowser, it'll end up being the same overused story with no novelties!

What I want is to do a brainstorming. Reply to this post with random ideas so I can assemble a proper plot out of them. Preferably change the main villain or at least provide a twist to the classic plot somehow.
I feel a bit numb...

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: I need some brainstorming

Postby Enjl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Pfff, BOWSER didn't kidnap peach in three of the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

But yeah, the next logical step away from kidnapping a princess is destroying the universe.
The ABC of Creation

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Here's at least one example as of what I made a post in the past relative to that subject: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 56#p122458

SecondScolipede
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Mayonnaise Island

Postby SecondScolipede » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:54 pm

In my opinion, something should happen to bowser, as well as peach and maybe some other characters involved.
Like they get aids viruses or maybe everyone, inclusing bows, is kidnapped or something like that.

Never break a glowstick.

Shidomaru
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Shidomaru » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Enjl wrote:The next logical step away from kidnapping a princess is destroying the universe.
The question is "WHO?" ...But it's also a bit too clichéd, unless used as a plot twist at the very end of the game when confronting Lavos or whoever the game's Giant Space Flea from Nowhere is.
SecondScolipede wrote:In my opinion, something should happen to bowser, as well as peach and maybe some other characters involved.
Like they get aids viruses or maybe everyone, inclusing bows, is kidnapped or something like that.
Okay... But I need a main villain that at least exists in one of the various GFX packs, someone I don't have to request sprites for. Come to think of it, maybe it's best to avoid a rescue story altogether, unless it's only a story arc inside the bigger game.
I feel a bit numb...

DarkWolf658
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Super Mario World: The Next Adventure

Postby DarkWolf658 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Shidomaru wrote:
Enjl wrote:The next logical step away from kidnapping a princess is destroying the universe.
The question is "WHO?" ...But it's also a bit too clichéd, unless used as a plot twist at the very end of the game when confronting Lavos or whoever the game's Giant Space Flea from Nowhere is.
SecondScolipede wrote:In my opinion, something should happen to bowser, as well as peach and maybe some other characters involved.
Okay... But I need a main villain that at least exists in one of the various GFX packs, someone I don't have to request sprites for. Come to think of it, maybe it's best to avoid a rescue story altogether, unless it's only a story arc inside the bigger game.
Use Wart (dun dun dun). And if the episode is smw styled, then i have the sprite for you and everything.
Yay! I have had smbx for 2 years! :)
Follow the Blue Link Road
My Mario Kart Drivers License
Spoiler: show
Friend me on Wiimmfi
Stuff I support:
Quotes and Stuff from the Ancient IRC
* Joey ([email protected]/staff/Joey) has joined
<Joey> uh...
<Joey> okay
* Joey ([email protected]/staff/Joey) has left (bye)

<Flame> 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on meme insurance

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:35 pm

Shidomaru wrote:The only thing Bowser ever does is kidnap Peach! If I do a Mario vs. Bowser, it'll end up being the same overused story with no novelties!

What I want is to do a brainstorming.
Stop.

Before you work out the plot, you should hone your level design skills (e.g., releasing stand-alone levels with no plot at all and waiting for feedback) and try to think of unique designs that will be fun to play. If you just make typical Mario levels (or worse, levels resembling the screenshots in your Cirno the Fairy Demo thread), it'll end up being the same overused designs with no novelties!

What you should do is brainstorm, but for level design, not story. Story won't save an episode with bad design. In fact, I suggest making the levels first, then designing the story around them.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Shidomaru
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Shidomaru » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:33 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Before you work out the plot, you should hone your level design skills (e.g., releasing stand-alone levels with no plot at all and waiting for feedback) and try to think of unique designs that will be fun to play.
...Good point. I should have thought of that first :oops: ...I'll take your advice.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:(or worse, levels resembling the screenshots in your Cirno the Fairy Demo thread)
Now that's worrying me! :( ...Maybe that's because I focused more on showing off the Touhou enemies rather than the level design in my screenshots, but still, the fact that it gives the impression that the levels are badly designed is a really BAD sign! Most of the screenshots are from the very first level (10 screenshots out of the total of 16 that are in the entire thread). In that case, I'm going to need advice also on what screenshots to take to give a better impression.
I feel a bit numb...

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Shidomaru wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:(or worse, levels resembling the screenshots in your Cirno the Fairy Demo thread)
Now that's worrying me! :( ...Maybe that's because I focused more on showing off the Touhou enemies rather than the level design in my screenshots, but still, the fact that it gives the impression that the levels are badly designed is a really BAD sign! Most of the screenshots are from the very first level (10 screenshots out of the total of 16 that are in the entire thread). In that case, I'm going to need advice also on what screenshots to take to give a better impression.
Well, the screenshots almost always showed completely flat block placement with barely a hazard in sight. This gives people the impression that your levels have thoughtless design and, as a result, are really boring to play. While it is true that you don't want to have a level too crowded, either, having no variation in block placement with one-at-a-time enemy placements is the laziest kind of level there is. Like I told SAJewers: Mario is a platformer; the enemies need platforms to work off of.

In fact, enemies such as Goombas, Koopas, and Piranha Plants have such simple AIs that you might need to do more with the level to keep it interesting. Unless your block placement is so amazing that you don't have to use more than one or two enemy types to keep it fun, it's a good idea to use a variety of enemies in your levels.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Shidomaru
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Shidomaru » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Well, the screenshots almost always showed completely flat block placement with barely a hazard in sight. This gives people the impression that your levels have thoughtless design and, as a result, are really boring to play. While it is true that you don't want to have a level too crowded, either, having no variation in block placement with one-at-a-time enemy placements is the laziest kind of level there is. Like I told SAJewers: Mario is a platformer; the enemies need platforms to work off of.

In fact, enemies such as Goombas, Koopas, and Piranha Plants have such simple AIs that you might need to do more with the level to keep it interesting. Unless your block placement is so amazing that you don't have to use more than one or two enemy types to keep it fun, it's a good idea to use a variety of enemies in your levels.
Like I said earlier, I focused on showing off the custom graphics for the Touhou characters instead of the level design, under the wrong assumption that anything that has anime girls in it is instantly awesome. To be honest, the "selling point" of Cirno the Fairy IS the anime girls! ...But I SWEAR! Most levels in the episode are NOT flat! Moriya Shrine Zone Act 2 is anything BUT flat! I just focused on the wrong aspect of the episode while taking the screenshots! Doesn't help that the very first level is the most linear of them.

But the fact remains that I might have not done anything innovative in the level design itself. Like I said, my episode "sells" itself mostly relying on the kawaii anime girls. :(
I feel a bit numb...

TheKingOfBoos
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: ROIP

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:44 am

Shidomaru wrote:Well... Lesson learned. Never make an episode where the player is a kawaii anime girl ¬_¬ In fact, never make any episodes that have more than one or two anime characters unless they're static NPCs for talking! ...Sadly, this limits me greatly because my brain is full of anime.

So... Here's the thing: I'm planning to make a Super Mario Bros. X episode with actual Mario in it so I don't have to go around bothering artists with impossible requests. But here's the catch: The only thing Bowser ever does is kidnap Peach! If I do a Mario vs. Bowser, it'll end up being the same overused story with no novelties!

What I want is to do a brainstorming. Reply to this post with random ideas so I can assemble a proper plot out of them. Preferably change the main villain or at least provide a twist to the classic plot somehow.
Wait so you don't need my help anymore? Okey dokey!
<TheKingOfBoos> I don't speak non-american, shadowstar, I have no idea how hot that is
<Kogasa> it's like 92-93 in patriot units
<Merve> TKOB for next mod
Support the GGP! Put this in your signature!
I support:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”