legacy editor!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.

In your opinion is correct remove the legacy editor?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 33
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: legacy editor!

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:32 am

What even is the disagreement here? We're not deprecating the original editor yet and it will likely be several months before that happens.

Also, DarkMatt, please, I have no problem with you making your points but stop being so condescending.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Kuribo wrote:if you choose not to use any of PGE's additional features, it's functionally the same editor you're used to. There's no difference aside from cosmetics.
My point exactly. I'd have to re-learn where everything is (and figure out additional quirks I may not be expecting), but I'd end up with the same level in the end; the only difference is that, in one scenario, the level would take longer to make since I'm using something I'm not used to.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
Spoiler: show
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
Spoiler: show
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:23 pm

As he said, "if you don't use any of the additional features". Using Copy/Paste, Undo and without having to switch between tileset windows, you'll be faster by the second level you make with PGE.
im a girl yo

DeuxEx
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby DeuxEx » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:14 am

PGE is a simple editor, is if you want it in there as well with the old style bar to SMBX, having said that it costs nothing to try in my opinion. Then I believe that with PGE, you could say more stories and not only Mario, and I hope that the next generation there are adventures donkey kong to Kirby. :D
deux ex

Lapuente
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Lapuente » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:28 am

why not make a new version of the legacy editor that supports updates instead of creating an entire new and different one

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:32 am

pge pretty much is an updated legacy editor though, and i don't think you have any idea how long the creation of yet another editor would take.
im a girl yo

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:48 am

I fell into a hole.
Joey wrote:Also, DarkMatt, please, I have no problem with you making your points but stop being so condescending.
I'll apologize for this.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Kuribo wrote:if you choose not to use any of PGE's additional features, it's functionally the same editor you're used to. There's no difference aside from cosmetics.
My point exactly. I'd have to re-learn where everything is (and figure out additional quirks I may not be expecting), but I'd end up with the same level in the end; the only difference is that, in one scenario, the level would take longer to make since I'm using something I'm not used to.
I do agree with this post, but there is experience with PGE to consider. Sure, it might be cumbersome to get used to a new editor for a bit, but with enough effort and knowledge, that slowdown due to having to find the button in the editor should go away. While I do think the legacy editor should stay, I have to admit, point for point you get levels done faster in PGE than you do in SMBX with the same amount of experience.

I still wouldn't force it on people though. It's not like I can explain that and have it make sense to anybody staying with SMBX.
Lapuente wrote:why not make a new version of the legacy editor that supports updates instead of creating an entire new and different one
It's a good idea, but one that probably won't be realized, mostly because development of 2.0 has been moving away from the SMBX editor as a whole.

If you want an example of that, the Chinese 1.4.1 does exactly this. But this is an SMBX version that chose to edit the base SMBX, not make an alternative.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Return to “General”