DarkMatt Plays Your Levels And Insults You: Revival (For CC11) (We have six now.)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
DarkMatt
Banned

DarkMatt Plays Your Levels And Insults You: Revival (For CC11) (We have six now.)

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:43 pm

VVV I need you to read this before you participate in this thread. VVV

-The following thread and all posts by me is made for strictly entertainment purposes. All matters of respect, empathy, and even basic effort are disregarded for that purpose. Any criticism, snarkiness, or insults within this thread is not meant to be taken seriously, nor are they meant to deter you from making more content and improving your skills.

-I do not want you to feel bad just because I'm a random person who trashes your creation. I mean this all in good fun, and I understand that this sort of humor is not for everybody. You are entitled to disregard anything I say about your creation, and I will respect that.

-Here is your seizure warning. This thread might be loaded with flashing images either accidentally or intentionaly. Tread carefully if you are epileptic.

-I can not speak for anyone else who participates in this thread, but they will probably do the same thing I'm doing. You don't have to take them seriously either, even if you might think otherwise. We're all gonna be rowdy in this thread, and I'm pointing out that you have the right to take any opinions you might hear in this thread, maybe even all of them, and choose to ignore them. That is not wrong and no one here should tell you otherwise, but if they do, do what I'll do: just forgive them and move on.

tl;dr IT'S A JOKE JEEZ YOU'RE FINE WALK IT OFF

^Please for both me and you read this before you view this thread.^

Spoiler: show

IT'S LUNATIC TIME.
WHERE WE'RE GOING, WE DON'T NEED FEELINGS.

Q: Heeeey. What are you trying to do?
Image - I am going to review your old Community Contest 11 levels. All of them. I'm not going to be like the judges of your little shindig. No I am here to send your levels to slaughterhouse. YOU ARE GOING TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHY YOU'RE TERRIBLE AT LEVEL DESIGN. ALL OF YOU.

Q: But that's being mean and I don't like people saying mean things.
Image - Then YOU'RE IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD. I'll give you five seconds to vacate the premises before someone pranks you. Humans go home. The night life is here to play. (Also hint: READ THE WARNING YOU JUST SKIPPED.)

Q: Oh, I can handle people saying bad things about me. What's this about?
Image - GLAD YOU ASKED.
Image - I'll be going through every contest level grading it on 3 categories:
Gameplay
Aesthetics
Wildcard
Image - The first two are self-explanatory, if you don't know what they mean then maybe you should finish grade school. Wildcard is whatever I think is the most relevant point of your level in a design aspect. This can either be something good or bad and, because I am a spiteful asshole, I'll prioritize bad over good. Deal with it.
Image - We've UPGRADED to a ten point scale! It's basically the same except with more numbers, which mean more better. Each category will get any whole number between a 10 and a 0.
If you got a 9 or a 10, you have done the impossible and impressed me with your supreme master quality. Go make a real game.
If you got a 7 or an 8, I thought your level was fun to play and I would recommend it to others.
If you got between 4 and 6, your level got through the grindhouse just fine and managed to keep my attention. Good job.
If you got a 2 or a 3, there were some glaring problems in your level that made it not fun, but was otherwise fine.
If you got a 1, yeah uhh, it's bad. I could find some idea you had that was nice but it's marred by your incredibly bad execution.
If you got a 0, I know you didn't try and I just wasted more time playing your level than you wasted making it. THANKS.
In case you get NaN for a score, thank you for trying to entertain me, a random stranger, with your comedy, but this isn't amateur comedy contest. This is a level design contest.
Image - The categories are averaged out and that is your score. So you can get 1.66 and treat it like a near 2 or get 9.33 and feel like it was almost perfection.
Image - Oh yeah by the way, I am under ZERO obligation to give your level a fair chance, or even finish it. I'll give it a try as Small Mario and go from there. If you don't want me to skip it, then maybe you should make it better.

Q: Are you going to be doing any streams or commentary from friends I can't help but care about what they say?
Image - This time, no. Part of the reason why the last one crashed and burned is because my commentary could not find time to do this with me. (Though the same can be said of me.) This was me assuming they could and it's my fault. It'll just be me this time. I also have most of this done already, so don't expect streams from me.

Q: There's still prizes though right?
Image - On a post-humous contest? No. Sorry, but that ain't happenin.

Q: Are you gonna be doing the 12th Community Contest?
Image - Maybe, but you will not see anything until I am confident it'll be finished, just like this thread of DMPYLAIY.

Q: Is there anything else I should know before climbing this mountain?
Image - Yes: pack your lunch, flashing images might happen, don't forget the safety word, and please keep your hands on the handlebar at all times.

AND REMEMBER: STAY DETERMINED

Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image

The first thread. Done for Community Contest 9 EIGHT. This one is actually complete, and is also very dated. This was before I was routinely going to college. Wow.
The second thread, which was sadly unfinished due to placing way too high of an expectation from it. It is however, still good for 6 tiers and was done for Community Contest 10, (or was it 11? I don't fucking know.) NINE, so it's still readable.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Re: DMPYLAIY: Revival (For CC11)

Postby h2643 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:49 pm

i'm excited

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Image Message of the Day: ...

SMBX community?

You and I are gonna have a long talk on why the bottom of the barrel are the levels NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY FIRST.

I have played VLDC 2014 and '15. '14 I saved Worst World for last. '15 I broke up the worlds with one worst level. I NEVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THE SHIT FIRST.

This is like starting your speech by immediately throwing out all the shitty things about it. Even if it gets better later, you have left such a vile aftertaste that no one might actually stick around. This is not how you present a community's efforts.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?
#85:

A Very Short Puzzle Level the Sequel
Who to Blame: 8flight

Gameplay: 0 / 10
Aesthetics: 0 / 10
"I can't be bothered to put any effort into a level but I'LL SUBMIT ANYWAY" Bonus: Really? / 10

FINAL SCORE: NaN

DarkMatt sez: This is not the first fucking time you've done this either. I don't know why you keep on thinking people find this funny. It's not even a shitty joke at this point, it's a shitty brick joke. Point me to a person who thinks you're a laugh riot, and I'll explain why you are a brick joke. Make a real level or stop contributing. Contests can go on without you.
#84:

Switchcraft
Who to Blame: meowflash

Gameplay: 2 / 10
Aesthetics: 3 / 10
Babby's First Gimmick Bonus: 2 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 2.33

DarkMatt sez: You know, I still remember the last level of yours I played, and although I wanna say you're still bad at this, you have at least made considerable progress. This level was playable. Short, basic, and your design choices was confusing at times, (well bye ground) but playable. Even the bad design decisions you did (have to wait P-switches out) made some degree of sense, and the design flaws I could easily explain. (a better indicator of urgency would be good)

Pat yourself on the back. Next contest you might not get a bad score.
#83:

The Enemy's Castle
Who to Blame: SuperMario12345

Aesthetics: 6 / 10
21 Sections of Hell Bonus: 0 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 2.66

DarkMatt sez: Do you know the maximum number of sections SMBX can use? The answer is 21. Look at the bonus, then look back here, then look back at the bonus. There is a point where a level's length is overkill and you have crossed it 16 sections ago.

And this is a shame, because it wasn't a bad level. It's just so much fucking level that you might as well call it Mr. Bones' Wild Ride. Even with the advent of multiple midway points, you are demanding way too much time from the player even if they play your level flawlessly.

Only justification I can find is you based your level off the final dungeon from Thousand Year Door, without taking into account how long it is versus how long your average Mario platforming level is. I'd play through your level but I stopped once I realized just how much I have to go through. There's 82 other levels I have to play. You are not going to hold up the line.

Fix that and maybe I'll talk about all the other problems with your level, because it certainly doesn't end there.
#82:

Flying Beach
Who to Blame: Daemon64

Aesthetics: 2 / 10
Goldylocks Length Bonus: 0 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 1.33

DarkMatt sez: Where in your mind did you think these graphics worked together? Furthermore, how much time did you even spent making this level? You might've believed it was something, but as you can see from the "I can finish your level in a .gif and still stay under size limit" picture that describes your level, the correct answer is "nowhere near enough".

Go play other levels.
#81:

Spam Origins
Who to Blame: Imaynotbehere4long

Gameplay: 1 / 10
Shitty Levels and Nice Gimmicks Bonus: 1 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 1.66

DarkMatt sez: God damn it, you make the most interesting gimmicks but you use them in the most asshole way. Is it natural for you to be such a total asshat about difficulty? God no wonder you're such a huge faggot when I die in the screenshots.

(But seriously what is the deal with you and dick-stomping levels like this one? The goal of level design isn't to be better than the player, you know.)
#80:

1-1 on Cr4Ck
Who to Blame: IUnderoverTroll

Gameplay: lol / 10
Aesthetics: rofl / 10
"Can I not play this level?" Bonus: ayy lmao / 10

FINAL SCORE: NaN

DarkMatt sez: So you, carbon copied 1-1, tried to make it funny, and then submitted that.

You wasted so much time learning how to rip off level styles and in the end all you did it was for was to just be wacky and pass that off as humor.

Don't you remember?

We're not all children here, dipshit.
#79:

Archon
Who to Blame: Paradox Master

YOU FOOL Bonus: 0 / 10

FINAL SCORE: Image

DarkMatt sez: Image

I can't go 5 seconds into user content without some faggot thinking amateur creepypastea is something I wanna play.

Inject your shitty tastes somewhere else please.
#78:

SPICY BOY
Who to Blame: Zonnepoes

"I would've played this if I wanted to, kid." Bonus: 0 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 1.33

DarkMatt sez: Were you seriously expecting the amusement you had from seeing MSX Mario to give you a good ranking? Are you serious?

Imagine how much time you spent having no original idea.

Just imagine.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: they/them/don't refer to me
Chat Username: Aristo

Postby Aristo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:02 pm

oh man i missed this <3
Of course you need to believe in things that aren't real. How else can they become?

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:22 pm

DarkMatt wrote:Q: Are you gonna be doing the 12th Community Contest?
Image - Maybe, but you will not see anything until I am confident it'll be finished, just like this thread of DMPYLAIY.
these are amazing, pls do it

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Respect for reviving this gold back. I really love it.

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Oh FUCK YES this i gonna be great
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:08 pm

oh boy I'm already excited for the sez of my level, even though I already know it won't be a good one
im bored

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Current Project: Howling
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:09 pm

i can't wait my level gonna be insulted XD
Yea... I'm back, but with different view.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:25 pm

DarkMatt wrote:God damn it, you make the most interesting gimmicks but you use them in the most asshole way. Is it natural for you to be such a total asshat about difficulty?
If you must know, Sharp Objects Are Usually Deadly wasn't meant to be as hard as it ended up being; that was my fault for only play-testing the level myself.

As for this level, it was a failed experiment (it wasn't even going to be a CC level at first), and it probably shouldn't have been submitted in the first place.

Also, I'm a bit surprised your gif is of the unindicative throwaway joke and not of any of the actual design problems.
DarkMatt wrote:God no wonder you're such a huge faggot when I die in the screenshots.
I only make fun of you when you do stupid crap like this:
DarkMatt wrote:

I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:As for this level, it was a failed experiment (it wasn't even going to be a CC level at first), and it probably shouldn't have been submitted in the first place.

Also, I'm a bit surprised your gif is of the unindicative throwaway joke and not of any of the actual design problems.
Welcome to how I roll. The best part of this is you'll never figure out the secrets behind that screenshot.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I only make fun of you when you do stupid crap like this:
Oh I'm sure that by the end of this thread you're gonna find something to make fun of.

DarkWolf658
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Super Mario World: The Next Adventure

Re: DarkMatt Plays Your Levels And Insults You: Revival (For CC11)

Postby DarkWolf658 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Cant wait to hear how meh level is shit!
Yay! I have had smbx for 2 years! :)
Follow the Blue Link Road
My Mario Kart Drivers License
Friend me on Wiimmfi
Stuff I support:
Quotes and Stuff from the Ancient IRC
* Joey ([email protected]/staff/Joey) has joined
<Joey> uh...
<Joey> okay
* Joey ([email protected]/staff/Joey) has left (bye)

<Flame> 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on meme insurance

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:30 am

These always have me in tears. Keep it coming man.

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 am

This makes me want to submit a level for the next Community Contest just so it can get torn a new hole in it later.

I love it.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:51 am

Zipper wrote:This makes me want to submit a level for the next Community Contest just so it can get torn a new hole in it later.

I love it.
Fun as this is to trash levels, I do not condone people making intentionally bad levels just to have it trashed in this thread.

The point of this thread sure as hell isn't to line up for asskickings.

Tier 2 soon...ish? Either today or tomorrow.

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:58 am

Fun as this is to trash levels, I do not condone people making intentionally bad levels just to have it trashed in this thread.

The point of this thread sure as hell isn't to line up for asskickings.
Uh...I didn't say anything about making intentionally making bad levels. Just a level. Whatever.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Just remember to give it your all.

For me.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:13 pm

To be honest, the way you'll insult me with my level (first level sent to this community) when Tier 2 is released will be fair either way. :P
I mean really, I got my a** wrecked 90% of the time in middle school, believe me you won't wanna know what happened there. :(
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm sure your hell in middle school was nothing compared to my hell.

This is not an invitation to talk about school life.

School life is an AMAZING conversation killer, you know.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Image Message of the Day: What I've gotten from the mario fangaming community in general, not just SMBX, is that no one has an idea how to actually PRESENT their work. This contest is made with an engine that can do anything from shit to gold and it starts with the SHIT first because the fucks who ran this wanted to build up to the gold. That's great, fucking fantastic, for a contest setting.

Not for an episode I want to play.

It becomes pretty apparent to me just how much value this community puts into the question, "Who am I presenting to?" Don't get me wrong, there are some people who keeps that in mind when making content and I'm not calling them out on this, but ask yourself, "When was the last time I gave a shit about who will potentially be playing my work?"

This doesn't just apply for marios either. This applies to ANY AND ALL ART. This is actually a rather fundamental rule to follow when making art and, when was the last time anyone here had a problem with anything, not because it was bad, but because it was for the wrong audience? Everyone, from the children that's just coming in to the veterans that have been in this community since its inception, can be subject to this presentation issue. It's a really big problem when you consider that the way you interest others in your work is you start off with a good presentation.

This isn't just a bunch of nerds nerding out about Mario. We're a community, on the internet. Let's make a good first impression.

I mean shit at least MaGLX doesn't subject you to the absolute worst first. How are you guys still so backwards? (Disclaimer: I might be talking out of my ass here.)

#77:

Sanctuary Fortress 2
Oh God No: MECHDRAGON777

Gameplay: 3 / 10
"Drew a map but the map doesn't help." Bonus: 2 / 10

DarkMatt lectures: Oh, I could go into detail why this is a travesty of level design that very, very well mimicks a shitty level from long ago, but I think we've all been down this road already. I don't need to repeat what everybody else already said to MECHDRAGON. Oh no, we can talk about something different.

I want to talk about flawed game design. Not bad, not good, not misguided, but flawed. I want to talk about what happens when people don't quite get the point of criticism.

Now this MECHDRAGON character, he has submitted contest levels for the past, I wanna say 3 or 4 years. We started off with this fantastic gem that screams touhou to the point that everyone but the song is deaf. Then we move on to a mess of an airship level that you would have to be a Minotaur to find your way through. After that, I thought he was actually improving, because his next contest level had a reasonable length. (still had retarded engine abuse though) But then we get to this level. This. This is not good.

Two things have been consistent in all of MECHDRAGON's levels: one, the rampant abuse of engine quirks to make puzzles and then the inability to explain to the player how his quirks work, and two, the unbelivable urge to make the level larger and larger and larger until an author speedrun takes 9 minutes to do and twelve times that for anyone going in blind.

Pushing the engine mechanics can be seen as acceptable, however, you are looking at a rather small group of people who will like that just out of the box. For everyone else, you run into a problem: they may not necessarily know how to nor want to do obtuse tricks in the engine just to complete your level. This is because MECHDRAGON is putting in these quirks under the assumption that it makes perfect sense to everyone else that's not MECHDRAGON. I don't need to tell you just how many people did not like this assumption.

This problem compounds when you take a look at the screenshot for this level and realize that's ALL LEVEL. MECHDRAGON does not plot Point A and Point B and draws a line. No, he draws a giant spaghetti mess of level flow that has many, many dead-ends until you grab something later yet look like places you can go when you first get there. MECHDRAGON's levels invoke a feeling of choice when, in reality, there IS no choice. There is exactly one way to do MECHDRAGON's levels, yet he has structured it in a way that it has a LOT of choices in his levels. When all but one of those are wrong, you can see why people get sick of his shit really fast.

However, this has been the case for 3 years. MECHDRAGON has tried to change his philosophy around the feedback of his audience but he still holds on to the core problems with his levels. That means it's 2015 and he is getting the same shit he did in 2012, and he continues to be adamant in what he thinks is fun, even when he shows effort to try to make something fun for everyone else. It's really polarizing, and in the end, we still lose.

In his defense, this kind of level DOES have an audience. You can probably already understand it's not the audience interested in this contest, but there's another problem: this is probably not the medium for this sort of entertainment. Now, platformer game can do plenty of things ranging from point A point B to scavenger hunt to open-ended world, however certain philosophies do not translate as well into a platformer game as they would in, say, a top-down action-adventure COUGHZELDA or an open-ended platformer geared towards item collection and exploration COUGHMETROID. Even then though, the most important thing is to understand what is good and bad, regardless of intention and medium. Alchemy is powerful, but there are some steps you just can't take, otherwise you will make a worthless mess instead of gold.

Ultimately, it comes down to understanding what your audience wants and how you can tailor your original idea to their expectations. This isn't outright going with the flock, instead this is understanding the norms and values of the medium you're working on. It's a good thing to try to innovate, but remember that you are working with building blocks already made, and you are trying to impress an audience made by the norms and values. It takes a lot of care and consideration to deviate from your standard palette and include elements that are abstract or foreign to your level. You can't just include a crystal ball in your wooden block tower and expect it to work AND make sense. It takes more thought than neat ideas to translate those into good levels.

If all of this is too much for you, have you ever done show-and-tell? Presenting a level to an audience is the same with one key difference: you are not there to help them understand what you were thinking. Engage with your audience, and don't take more time than you need to get your point across. Even if you're not there, just remember that your level is a presentation with a theme, a beginning, a middle, an end, and a dash of your own ideals to make it special. Pretty much like baking a cake.

The sad part about all this is that, in the end, this probably won't change if it's been around 3 years of this sort of shit. And when we get right down to it, MECHDRAGON is bad at English, to the point where he will look at this essay on why he's bad at level design and get maybe 5% of my point. Maybe 10%. So that's why I'm not writing it for him, I'm writing it for you, the reader.

YOU can do better. I know you can. If you ever want to make your own levels, this is an example of what NOT to do. This level is something you learn from. Playing and viewing other levels and making point-by-point breakdowns of why a level's good and/or bad is how you learn the tricks to level design. Even if you're not a judge, you learn more by thinking about the level you play than by just expecting what you asked for. An active mind is a sharp mind, after all.

That's enough lecturing. Let's get back to this horrible tier, shall we?
#76:

Star Ship Galaxy
Who to Blame: DerpMcSkerp20

Aesthetics: 1 / 10
Random Caprice Bonus: 1 / 10

FINAL SCORE: Image

DarkMatt sez: Here's the contest's "went on forever without ever stopping" level. I got tired. This message in the screenshot did not help. Neither did the mashed together graphics and the several rather unfair enemy placements, or the author assuming the player knows to kill all dudes to progress.

Like, there is some general competency with level ideas and graphics ideas, but it's all currently a giant mess of a stream of consciousness. Literally zero rhyme or reason kills a level, as has been demonstrated.
#75:

Super Short Adventure for Daisy
Who to Blame: DAT LUIGI FAN

Science Bonus: 1 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 2

DarkMatt sez: Finally a level that answers the question of what lies under the bottom of the screen. The answer is nothing and maybe some floating koopas. Also, what the fuck is with you and your fixation on rectangular pieces of ground?
#74:

ROBOTS BEEP BOOP
Who to Blame: Friendly Dictator

"Throw More Wheels At the Problem" Bonus: 3 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 2.66

DarkMatt sez: This is NOT how you flesh out a gimmick. You do not just bang the gimmick with the level together until you have something that you think is fun to play through. Parts of this level were snoreville and the other parts just spammed NPCs to make it work. All in all, the gimmick was boring, the graphics were bad, and the pants were dead.
#73:

The Desert Night
Who to Blame: DarkWolf658

Pyramid Bonus: 2 / 10

DarkMatt sez: There is one thing that could ever suggest your level was a desert night. That is the background. Nothing else about your level implies that. Other than that, every single gimmick in your level is fire-and-forget, making for a boring mess of a level that doesn't set up anything challenging or interesting.
#72:

Aquatic Nights
Who to Bla-waitwhat: Nien

Aesthetics: 6 / 10
A for Effort Bonus: 3 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 4

DarkMatt sez: An effort was made. At least you can demonstrate the ability to make something interesting. I was just expecting you to not choke and actually have a level instead of, well, this.
#71:

A Dangerous Diner
Who to Blame: Ness-Wednesday

Original Character Do Not Steal Bonus: 1 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 2

DarkMatt sez: Jesus christ you are bad with graphics. Also I can do without your pretend lore, kid.

Anyway, the level was, alright. Though it honestly gets pretty randumb at times. Furthermore, why the fuck is it all normal at the end and then SURPRISE MORE SHIT I HAVE TO GO THROUGH? I didn't enjoy any part of that end.
#70:

Above Under Cave
Who to Blame: Marionette The Puppet

Gameplay: 4 / 10
Orange Bonus: 3 / 10

FINAL SCORE: 3.33

DarkMatt sez: Well okay, this was a thing. Orange the level, but at least it was just "HEY I PAINTED EVERYTHING ORANGE" instead of "I VERY OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WITH MY LIFE." The level was alright, very short, but alright. Also sd spelunky music is bad
Last edited by DarkMatt on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “General”