Your controversial SMBX opinion

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:19 am

This is a topic where you post a SMBX opinion that you think a lot of other people might disagree with. It can be about the community, about an episode, or even SMBX itself.

The rules are:

1. Your opinion has to be one you really believe and aren't just posting to make other people mad. If you want to say "SMM levels will never be as good as SMBX levels no matter how hard the designer tries" then you have to really believe that.

2. No insulting other people in your opinions. You can say that someone needs to improve or that they need to be more active but you can't say it in a mean way.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Zipper » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:37 am

opinion : we didn't really need to leave the other thread

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:15 pm

SMW styled graphics > SMB3 styled graphics

StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby StrikeForcer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Id honestly think that the community needs to reevaluate what is considered to be SMB3 styled on their graphics, because a plethora of graphics I have seen used here may be compatible with default SMAS-SMB3 GFX but that doesn't mean that it is styled from that same game. Style implies that a creation follows the general rules and conventions of the source material it is derived from, not something to just loosely throw around to devalue its meaning. More care needs to be taken into account when studying the art style of a game before you release your own custom graphic that you take inspiration from and misadvertise it as such.
Join Insectduel's forum today!: http://insectduel.proboards.com/

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:56 pm

StrikeForcer wrote:Id honestly think that the community needs to reevaluate what is considered to be SMB3 styled on their graphics, because a plethora of graphics I have seen used here may be compatible with default SMAS-SMB3 GFX but that doesn't mean that it is styled from that same game. Style implies that a creation follows the general rules and conventions of the source material it is derived from, not something to just loosely throw around to devalue its meaning. More care needs to be taken into account when studying the art style of a game before you release your own custom graphic that you take inspiration from and misadvertise it as such.
I feel it is now appropriate to bring this topic up, because this basically paraphrases what I wrote in there.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby StrikeForcer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Linik wrote:
StrikeForcer wrote:Id honestly think that the community needs to reevaluate what is considered to be SMB3 styled on their graphics, because a plethora of graphics I have seen used here may be compatible with default SMAS-SMB3 GFX but that doesn't mean that it is styled from that same game. Style implies that a creation follows the general rules and conventions of the source material it is derived from, not something to just loosely throw around to devalue its meaning. More care needs to be taken into account when studying the art style of a game before you release your own custom graphic that you take inspiration from and misadvertise it as such.
I feel it is now appropriate to bring this topic up, because this basically paraphrases what I wrote in there.
Sadly this is not what I was aiming at here Linik and quite frankly this is less of a matter between the difference of styled and recolored gfx (personal aside note... your images are rather poor examples and read my post there that fixes things). I am talking about graphics that may as well be nondescript as a style (because the user has yet to fully develop his own techniques to approaching pixel art) or a user's own personal art style that is passed on as it is from a source game's style. In this community, it is normally SMB3 being the source game.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Opinion: this thread should be merged with this thread since they basically cover the same subjects.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Opinion: this thread should be merged with this thread since they basically cover the same subjects.
I don't know, this thread covers SMBX specifically, while that thread covers basically everything else.
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0
Enjl wrote:it puts a twist on classic 4 step level design which i like to call "2 and a half steps backwards design"

snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey

Postby snoruntpyro » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Shinbison-Kof and Camacho's levels in general are pretty bad - they're basically the same level over and over and over. Overload of custom graphics, random useless moving layers, boring as heck level design, and oftentimes completely void of anything interesting at all.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Creativity is more important than polish.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:24 pm

snoruntpyro wrote:Shinbison-Kof and Camacho's levels in general are pretty bad - they're basically the same level over and over and over. Overload of custom graphics, random useless moving layers, boring as heck level design, and oftentimes completely void of anything interesting at all.
I agree on this as well. This also applies to SuperMario7, Sux and FireLink as well.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Too many new and veteran designers, when designing the boss for a level, just take an existing boss and replace the graphic with something else. A perfect example of this is the Meta Knight battle in h2643's CC 11 Submission "Ocean with Orange Oceans". He literally just posted Meta Knight's graphic over SMB3 Bowser, Galaxia projectiles over SMB3 Bowser projectiles, and increased the speed of the projectiles. That boss was just a standard SMB3 Bowser battle. There are so many levels that do this, it's starting to get old and boring, really fast.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:30 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:Too many new and veteran designers, when designing the boss for a level, just take an existing boss and replace the graphic with something else. A perfect example of this is the Meta Knight battle in h2643's CC 11 Submission "Ocean with Orange Oceans". He literally just posted Meta Knight's graphic over SMB3 Bowser, Galaxia projectiles over SMB3 Bowser projectiles, and increased the speed of the projectiles. That boss was just a standard SMB3 Bowser battle. There are so many levels that do this, it's starting to get old and boring, really fast.
SMB3 Bowsers are too common, even Mother Brains and Warts are spewed everywhere!
I can tell one day, a level will make fun of those old boss rushes that used to appear a lot in the past, yet they're usually just bosses with another graphic, over and over!
Flying Brick's boss rush is the only good one to play.

I do have a controversial opinion about the Legacy editor.
It's just too slow and I have to switch a whole bunch of times from one tab, to one tile set to another!
And having to go through every section was just crazily annoying, because you'll always start back on the same spot, the beginning.
And it's just too slow when you have less free time to make a level under a month, which in this case was why I chosen PGE over it and hopefully I don't have to rush my level twice in a row.

I used to hate joke levels after ToBX was released, but since I've noticed the joke levels in CC12, I'm actually quite interested at them sometimes.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:09 pm

I only like joke levels if they're interesting, even if scored low. Examples of what wouldn't interest me would be like "spam-same-kind-of-block/npc/BGO" kind of so-called "joke" level.
The Past still haunts me.

TheSaturnyoshi
Swooper
Swooper

Postby TheSaturnyoshi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:00 pm

snoruntpyro wrote:Shinbison-Kof and Camacho's levels in general are pretty bad - they're basically the same level over and over and over. Overload of custom graphics, random useless moving layers, boring as heck level design, and oftentimes completely void of anything interesting at all.
Totally agree with you there.

Also just the idea that you should base your episode on a specific graphical style; I think this community has become a bit too cautious about clash to the point where it kinda scares people away from trying new things graphically.
Who even uses siignatures these days?

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Clash is literally why I don't want to make a mixture of graphics. I even had some clashy level ideas but... Of course clash.
The Past still haunts me.

Kuribo
Rex
Rex

Postby Kuribo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:
I agree on this as well. This also applies to SuperMario7, Sux and FireLink as well.
A "controversial opinion" does not mean singling out other users and saying their levels are bad. I imagine those people wouldn't appreciate being mentioned like this.

StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby StrikeForcer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Kuribo wrote:
zlakergirl357 wrote:
A "controversial opinion" does not mean singling out other users and saying their levels are bad. I imagine those people wouldn't appreciate being mentioned like this.
I agree in principle in which I don't want to see a thread turning it into an insult thread but because those users who actually contributed to the meta of this community's level design standards in the past with them being high scoring in CCs, its fair game.

Speaking of which, I do not fully subscribe to the notion of a level being good for its time, as a good level should be able to withstand changing community standards over time. A level that ages poorly is very likely bad in quality but was excused by the community before and that minority opinions existed, but were eventually validated.

Kuribo
Rex
Rex

Postby Kuribo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:28 pm

StrikeForcer wrote:
Kuribo wrote:
zlakergirl357 wrote: I agree on this as well. This also applies to SuperMario7, Sux and FireLink as well.
I agree in principle in which I don't want to see a thread turning it into an insult thread but because those users who actually contributed to the meta of this community's level design standards in the past with them being high scoring in CCs, its fair game.

Speaking of which, I do not fully subscribe to the notion of a level being good for its time, as a good level should be able to withstand changing community standards over time. A level that ages poorly is very likely bad in quality but was excused by the community before and that minority opinions existed, but were eventually validated.
You can criticize the community's level design standards without singling people out. It's especially tactless to name names in a topic like this where the level designer in question won't see it unless they stumble upon this thread. It's like talking about someone behind their back.

MrPunchia
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby MrPunchia » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't care about clash as long as it looks good.

Return to “General”