Your controversial SMBX opinion

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby arcade999 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:
arcade999 wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote:Too many new and veteran designers, when designing the boss for a level, just take an existing boss and replace the graphic with something else. A perfect example of this is the Meta Knight battle in h2643's CC 11 Submission "Ocean with Orange Oceans". He literally just posted Meta Knight's graphic over SMB3 Bowser, Galaxia projectiles over SMB3 Bowser projectiles, and increased the speed of the projectiles. That boss was just a standard SMB3 Bowser battle. There are so many levels that do this, it's starting to get old and boring, really fast.
You dont need to agree or care about what i think, but there is no other ways (outside of hardcoded lunalua and lunaddl épisodes) to make custom bosses.But i understand it could be annoying.
Like PixelPest said, yes you can. But you don't even need Events and Layers. Just use NPC flags (Another thing in SMBX that's seriously underutilized). An excellent example of this is my CC8 level "Concrete Forest" 's boss, Concrete Boom Boom. I had no events and layers and I still managed to make it feel very distinct from a regular SMB3 Bowser boss fight. Another stellar example is Chad/Rvbnut91's boss from his SMB: Collaboration level, Sawblade Stronghold (If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTi0hbhRow . The bossfight begins at around 5:15.) That doesn't even use any NPC flags. It just takes advantage of a mechanic few people know about.
A Goat wrote:anyway i think PGE is overrated because soon as you say you use the legacy editor everyone comes and tells you that pge is superior. like
i enjoy using the old editor over pge because i dislike pge's layout
no offense wohlstand you're hella chill
Brother! I thought I was the only one! May Ultimate Rinka bless your account!
Wait, YOU ceated concrete forest?! I want you to know that i realy enjoyed and apreciated this level in tower of bias 7! ;)

Some people think smbx is underrated but I think it is not. Nothing more to add to this controversial opinion.
Last edited by Waddle on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged; Please do not double-post in the future
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3453
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:20 pm

arcade999 wrote:Some people think smbx is underrated but I think it is not. Nothing more to add to this controversial opinion.
Since when was SMBX underrated? It never was to begin with.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

User avatar
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 am

A Goat wrote:i enjoy using the old editor over pge because i dislike pge's layout
I'm VERY suggesting you try the latest version because I made the better classic UI and greeting message to let a user make the best choice. New UI is designed for screens of any size. Classic UI is VERY inconvenient on small screens (like laptops or small monitors), but new UI is compact and flexible for that case. Classic UI is kept for people who prefer it, so, look yourself:
Spoiler: show
Image
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon
Image

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

Image
P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

User avatar
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 2621
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 pm
Flair: Info under raps

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 am

A Goat wrote:edit: SOON AS I GET DONE PIXELPEST ALSO SHOWS UP man you guys are good at your jobs.)[/size]
I mean if you consider backseat moderating a job then yeah I'd say PP does a pretty good job of it. If a mod has already covered it why did he need to reply to it again lmao.
The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams
Upon the instruments of death
The sunlight brightly gleams
When every man is torn apart
With nightmares and with dreams
Will no one lay the laurel wreath
When silence drowns the screams

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7112
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby PixelPest » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:03 am

Because I had more to say

Sux
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Sux » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Supershroom wrote:hi Sux, hope you're in business again
Hi, My PC is a shit. I need buy another
I'm working on TI3 only at now...I'll back on January ( vacation )
I think that the old members aren't too active because we're becoming adults, and we have more responsabilities, job, college that are spending a lot of our time.
I'm curious about contests eposides ( Vanilla contest 2 and CC12 )
I don't see anything about this...but I was inactive for a time...I don't know how is the things here

Image


User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6688
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Cedur » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Well, lucky enough, we got new kids on the block, and SMBX 2.0 is gonna be exciting. You should get up-to-date with the Beta 3 as soon as you can.

It's a pity that the contest episodes are hold back, though ...
TNTtimelord wrote:I mean if you consider backseat moderating a job then yeah I'd say PP does a pretty good job of it. If a mod has already covered it why did he need to reply to it again lmao.
... what happened?
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
perhaps
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 pm
Flair: im very cool

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby perhaps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Supershroom wrote:
TNTtimelord wrote:I mean if you consider backseat moderating a job then yeah I'd say PP does a pretty good job of it. If a mod has already covered it why did he need to reply to it again lmao.
... what happened?
about a page back some guy was talking about hating udertale, but mivixion said that wasnt relevant and pixelpest added to it
oh and tnttimelord, about the comment of backseat moderating, i saw pixelpest having different colored text so i assumed he still was staff without actually realizing what the color meant.
been thingken about makin a few levels again

User avatar
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby mariogeek2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:04 pm

arcade999 wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote: Like PixelPest said, yes you can. But you don't even need Events and Layers. Just use NPC flags (Another thing in SMBX that's seriously underutilized). An excellent example of this is my CC8 level "Concrete Forest" 's boss, Concrete Boom Boom. I had no events and layers and I still managed to make it feel very distinct from a regular SMB3 Bowser boss fight. Another stellar example is Chad/Rvbnut91's boss from his SMB: Collaboration level, Sawblade Stronghold (If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTi0hbhRow . The bossfight begins at around 5:15.) That doesn't even use any NPC flags. It just takes advantage of a mechanic few people know about.
Wait, YOU ceated concrete forest?! I want you to know that i realy enjoyed and apreciated this level in tower of bias 7! ;)

Some people think smbx is underrated but I think it is not. Nothing more to add to this controversial opinion.
Here's a special message just for you:
Spoiler: show
Image
Also, yes, I did. That's actually probably my best level to date (Finished one at least. There's a ton of half-done levels just laying around.) . I just wanted to make a level completely radical and different from any I'd seen so far, with a wacky boss fight that had completely different mechanics.
Enjl wrote:
Sux wrote:Sad to say SMBX is dead
Brother! I thought I was the only one! May Ultimate Rinka bless your account!
Ok, I know this is the controversial opinions' thread, but that's a pretty bold statement, one I would say is wholly wrong. If it was, all of these 2k episodes wouldn't keep getting released and they wouldn't be so good. Also, I don't know if I should be honored you thought that was good enough to copy or offended you copied me

Anyways, now that that's all out of the way, here's some more stuff I thought of:
- I'm absolutely sick and tired of people using Bowser as the main villain in episodes. Bowser is literally one of many villains of the franchise. It's getting old!
- LunaLua was pretty awesome, and probably saved SMBX from decaying away, but it had one minor negative impact: There was experimental stuff that was pretty cool that I saw be done with the Legacy editor before its introduction. When it was introduced, all of that kind of got left by the way-side.
- I'm also sick and tired of designers trying to shoe-horn in other games that have clashing game mechanics. Pokemon and Undertale are 3D, top-down RPGs, and don't translate well to a 2D Platformer! Okay?
- In order to post onto the Projects/Episodes subforum, you need to gain access by passing some sort of a test or gaining permission from the Admins. There's too much rushed/low quality spam in there.
- Joke levels are fun and underrated. Something that makes me laugh because of its absurdity will get high praise from me.
- There's a dissonance in the community currently. The forums are open and intended for all SMBXxers, and newcomers are generally welcomed with open arms, but at the same time, it feels like its meant for veterans only. There's not too many "official" tutorials, and there's tons of inside jokes and lore and history that's not recorded (Which is why we need the wikia.) .

Well, that's all I could think of for now. Have fun :twisted:
Spoiler: show
Image
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

User avatar
Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Mosaic » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 pm

mariogeek2 wrote: Anyways, now that that's all out of the way, here's some more stuff I thought of:
- I'm absolutely sick and tired of people using Bowser as the main villain in episodes. Bowser is literally one of many villains of the franchise. It's getting old!
Well, you'll like my stuff if that's something you think, maybe.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...
Image

Image

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
Image


User avatar
underFlo
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 am
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby underFlo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:53 pm

If you enjoy levels that make you laugh you should check out some of the MaGLX2 levels. They've got a lot of charme and while not straight-up joke levels prove that levels can be funny without necessarily sacrificing gameplay. Like honestly as long as they have solid gameplay i have no problem with joke levels if they execute their jokes well.

I don't really think Bowser as the main villain for non-story-based episodes is a bad idea. If you wanna go for a feeling similar to the 2D Marios, story isn't all that important so using Bowser as the antagonist should be fine.
I think different mechanics for a boss fight or similar things work out rather well. Hypnosis Redo had the Squishy Rex fight which was based off the Mario & Luigi series which was implemented well, for example.
im a girl yo

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8882
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Enjl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:41 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:Ok, I know this is the controversial opinions' thread, but that's a pretty bold statement, one I would say is wholly wrong. If it was, all of these 2k episodes wouldn't keep getting released and they wouldn't be so good. Also, I don't know if I should be honored you thought that was good enough to copy or offended you copied me
My post was poking fun at the ridiculousness of both opinions that had that post as a reply.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3453
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 pm

mariogeek2 wrote: - There's a dissonance in the community currently. The forums are open and intended for all SMBXxers, and newcomers are generally welcomed with open arms, but at the same time, it feels like its meant for veterans only. There's not too many "official" tutorials, and there's tons of inside jokes and lore and history that's not recorded (Which is why we need the wikia.)
You might be right here, there's a growing problem of elitism in this forum, and there's more examples than what you've written. For some reason, it appears as though newcomers to the SMBX community are made to believe that these are the only SMBX forums that ever existed ever since the original forums got shut down, which means that these newcomers probably didn't know about the existence of NSMBX/Knux's forum/SMBX Revived (there's actually something about it here, straight from Joey's mouth) and only veterans can know about them due to them originating from the aforementioned three sites. The topics about the history of SMBX and that which were posted back in early 2014 seem to have been lost under all the other topics, which further lends to this. Also, the super-secret cheat code that lets you save after cheating was censored for a very long time despite only the veterans knowing what it was, therefore also cutting the veterans off from the newcomers. Should a newcomer find the code and get around the censors so that they have it posted, expect to see the post get deleted and the user probably warned.

It seems as if for some reason that while veterans are armed with more knowledge of the community and SMBX, there's somehow no interest in getting their knowledge over to the newcomers. The lack of official tutorials that you mentioned is one example, but I'm seeing a lot of veterans (and this is also the case with new users) that outright refuse to help newcomers directly with SMBX-related queries, and instead either tell them to use Google, or blindly copy-paste a link which holds the answer to their query. Sometimes it solves their problem directly, but in most cases it creates a lot of back-and-forth between the helper and the newcomer, which can result in an argument criticising the user's own ignorance. I personally hate it when people do that, because newcomers often lack the SMBX knowledge required to penetrate through the page provided by the link. It's like with programming (if you don't understand any of the programming terms, don't worry, because it's not the focus of the topic): there are a lot of new user queries like "why is my Java for loop not working?" and they're shot down pretty quickly with links to the technical documentation of their language or telling them to use Google rather than providing a worked-through solution. Also, should a question relating to the legacy editor get brought up, expect to see at least one reply telling them to use PGE, without giving a solution to the query or giving a solution that assumes they're using PGE. Again bringing programming up as an example, it's like telling a coding beginner who's coding in HTML using Notepad++ as their IDE that their language is so bad and they should code in something else like Ruby on Rails, and instead use Vim as their IDE, and then rattle off reasons that the beginner won't get like asynchronous I/O and race condition prevention. I do understand that the new version 2.0 is on its way and these newcomers may want to switch to it, but if they're using the legacy editor, at least respect what they want to use and help them out, for once!
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

User avatar
arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby arcade999 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:25 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
arcade999 wrote:Some people think smbx is underrated but I think it is not. Nothing more to add to this controversial opinion.
Since when was SMBX underrated? It never was to begin with.
Maybe YOU didn't see it, but some i have seene some poeple on youtube thinking smbx is underrated (they says like ``this game deserve more attention``),
in bossedit8 comments.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Knux » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:08 am

What's the deal with levels that take around 20-30 minutes to complete? It's just tedious more than anything else.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6688
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Cedur » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 am

In an episode they're tedious especially if they come with some extra difficulty but a standalone level can definitely go the extra mile I guess.
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Knux wrote:What's the deal with levels that take around 20-30 minutes to complete? It's just tedious more than anything else.
Depends on the level. If it's 20-30 minutes and tedious by the end, then it's overstaying its welcome, because the level design is not accommodating the length. Fact is, you can't design a 30 minute level in the same way you design a 2 minute one. They're fundamentally different beasts. But the implication (and truth) there is that it IS possible to design extremely long levels that are great! For a good example, see Luna Tower from ASMBXT. Not a perfect level by any means, but a very long one that was also very hard, and didn't manage to be dull by the end of it. It achieved this by making sure there were enough changes in playstyle, as well as QOL additions to reduce iteration times when you died (one of these being the "Luna Point", named after its use in this level).

See the problem isn't with long levels themselves, but with stretching the design philosophies of short levels into long ones. Fact is, when you die in SMBX, you have to repeat some part of the stage (usually). When that repeated amount is at most a minute, it's enough to be a punishment, but not actively painful. If the amount you have to repeat is 15 minutes, then death goes from a minor punishment to absolute torture. That's bad design. No well designed game will give you 15 minute iteration times on death (in fact, I can only think of one AAA game off the top of my head that does outside of some extra challenge mode, and that's Sonic 06, and even then only in some levels, and only after an actual game over rather than just a death).

There are also issues with repetition. If you've got the same backdrop, same music, doing the same thing, for 20 minutes, you are going to get bored, at least in a game like SMBX (since, unlike other games like some RPGs, the mechanics aren't designed to keep you interested through repetition). But, if you look at Luna Tower, note how it changes up the playstyle regularly, so you're not just doing the same thing on repeat. Also note how the visuals change in each distinct section, and how the music changes half way through. These are all designed to maintain interest in a longer experience.

TL;DR: There's nothing wrong with longer levels, even as part of an episode. The problem comes from people assuming you can apply the same kind of design to a 20 minute level as you can to a 2 minute one, which is not the case.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Unidentified » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Doesn't matter how fun a level is, if it takes more than 15 minutes I will start to hate it.

User avatar
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:07 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:Doesn't matter how fun a level is, if it takes more than 15 minutes I will start to hate it.
I really doubt you've played any good ones then. The vast majority of long levels made for SMBX are abysmal. In fact, other than Luna Tower I can't think of any good examples.

Fundamentally, if you can play multiple levels in one sitting for more than 15 minutes, you can play a well made single level for the same amount of time, as the only difference is some arbitrary delimiter that we class as a "level".

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Unidentified » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:28 pm

The problem of long levels is I will be less encouraged to try again each time I die after getting far. I know that there are a lot of fun long levels, but there is nothing that pisses me off more than dying in long levels after getting far.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests