SMBX 2.0 POLL - Potenial change to the colour of Link and Luigi character blocks

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.

Should Link and Luigi switch blocks have their colour palette changed in 2.0?

Yes! Use the proposed new palette.
39%
Yes, but with a different change (please detail in a post)
55%
No. Keep the palette as it is.
6%

Total votes: 66
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

SMBX 2.0 POLL - Potenial change to the colour of Link and Luigi character blocks

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:25 pm

So, I have made a suggestion to the rest of the 2.0 team, and there was no consensus reached on whether this was a good idea or not, with some developers agreeing and others disagreeing.

In order to gauge the interest of the community, I'm posting a poll here to see what people think about it. If no consensus can be reached, then nothing will happen. Horikawa is not convinced, and would appreciate community feedback before making any changes to base-game content.

This suggestion was about the colour of the character blocks, namely Link and Luigi. With the addition of a number of new characters, it's been noted that making each character block distinct (so that the filter blocks can be easily recognisable) is increasingly difficult. I have noted that this is in part due to the colouring of the default character blocks, and how they are optimised for a small character roster. (As a separate point, it has always bugged me that Luigi's block is a washed out green and Link's in brown, both very different from their game palettes).

My suggestion was to make the following change to the colour palettes of the Link and Luigi switch and filter blocks:

-----OLD--------------NEW-----

The left of that image is the current vanilla SMBX palette. The right side is my proposed change for SMBX 2.0. This would not only make the palettes better reflect the colour of the characters they represent, but also free up some of the colour spectrum for new character blocks, which will help to keep each character block unique.

The poll in this post will provide some needed community feedback on whether to proceed.

Of course, if you feel you have a better suggestion than the change I am proposing, then please do suggest it!

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: SMBX 2.0 POLL - Potenial change to the colour of Link and Luigi character blocks

Postby Murphmario » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:12 pm

I honestly like the new colors more, so I'm all for it.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Re: SMBX 2.0 POLL - Potenial change to the colour of Link and Luigi character blocks

Postby loop13 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Murphmario wrote:I honestly like the new colors more, so I'm all for it.
I strongly agree.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:21 pm

I think that making Link have a Zelda style L (Like Zelda's Z) would be cool. I think that Luigi's block should stay the same as it is, because Mario's is close to his SMB3 sprite, so Luigi's should be too.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Chat Username: SetaYoshi

Postby Yoshi021 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:46 pm

I feel like Luigi's color could be a bit darker.
"Going to University is FUN!"
DOWNLOAD THE SMBX LEVEL PLAYER
CHECK OUT MY NPC PACK

Join the SMBX Episode Project Discord Server

Join the SMBX 38A Discord!

Join the CodeHaus Discord!

rixithechao
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Postby rixithechao » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 am

Changing my vote to "yes but with a different change" because while I like the new colors, I figured we could go further in differentiating them. I decided to do mockups of what I was going to suggest and, well...

I may have overdone it a bit.
Credit to salmonbandit for the base Bowser box and the idea for the second Broadsword option.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:39 am

rockythechao wrote:Changing my vote to "yes but with a different change" because while I like the new colors, I figured we could go further in differentiating them. I decided to do mockups of what I was going to suggest and, well...

Credit to salmonbandit for the base Bowser box and the idea for the second Broadsword option.
I personally really like this, but I won't force it on people. The vote will stand, whatever it is.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 am

rockythechao wrote:Changing my vote to "yes but with a different change" because while I like the new colors, I figured we could go further in differentiating them. I decided to do mockups of what I was going to suggest and, well...

Just gonna add that I also really like this as an option.

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:02 am

Hoeloe wrote:

Just gonna add that I also really like this as an option.
I like it too, and would like to change my vote to it. Did not know it was a thing. Also I still prefer the eye for broadsword, since I think it looks more expressive.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:05 am

Willhart wrote: I like it too, and would like to change my vote to it.
Does anyone know what editing poll options will do to existing votes? I'd like to add this as a specific option on the poll, but don't want to lose votes that have already been cast.

S1eth
Spiny
Spiny

Postby S1eth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 am

Let's just wait a few days and let anyone who want to make a new design or color suggestion do so.

And when we have enough suggestions, and the submissions have been improved, people can vote for them.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:35 am

I changed my vote to the second option since I like the rockychao picture.

ImageImageImage

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:00 am

S1eth wrote:Let's just wait a few days and let anyone who want to make a new design or color suggestion do so.

And when we have enough suggestions, and the submissions have been improved, people can vote for them.
This sounds like a good option.

For now, if you want Rockythechao's option to be used, please vote for the second option.

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Postby loop13 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:08 am

I want to change my choice to rockythechao's idea.
Last edited by loop13 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

Enchlore
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Enchlore » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:23 pm

I vote for Rockythechao's change.

Also, with the proposed new palette I can't tell the difference between the two L blocks (I'm colorblind), as opposed to the original SMBX palette where I at least knew Luigi's block was green and Link's was a weird yellow/brown color, so I'm reluctant towards it.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Enchlore wrote:I can't tell the difference between the two L blocks (I'm colorblind)
This is something we are considering over on the 2.0 channel, and are looking at ways to reduce issues caused by colourblindness.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Oh man Rocky's proposal looks super neat. I really like this, and by using those unique designs the blocks are super easily recognisable.
im a girl yo

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Those rocky proposed are not only awesome-looking, but each block are very unique making it easy to differentiate them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:09 pm

I'd definitely go with what Rocky suggested. It looks great

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
S1eth wrote:Let's just wait a few days and let anyone who want to make a new design or color suggestion do so.

This sounds like a good option.

For now, if you want Rockythechao's option to be used, please vote for the second option.
I think of you edit a poll, it does not reset it unless add or remove a option.

ImageImageImage

Return to “General”