so there's a shitstorm at the talkhaus because:

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality

so there's a shitstorm at the talkhaus because:

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:49 am

Because of.our.level design and smbx, oh wait lemme say it as they say "tedius.level designers" and the "clunky non-user friendly smbx"

because of MAGLX (it's a contest) people are complaining.about SMBX's limitations, much like Fanofsmbx does, they compare it with Lunar Magic, but that's okay since it's clearly.superior, but it's the way they describe smbx that is annoyng; "THE engine is awful and sucks" they don't say instead "I don't like the engine" they don't like the engine imdividually, they hate it generally and say to the others that suck.

like, i'm there and reading the comments in the MAGLX topic, and my god...
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

ElTipsta
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: so there's a shitstorm at the talkhaus because:

Postby ElTipsta » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:41 am

I personally find SMBX a lot easier to use then Lunar Magic (I still can't to this day!) although it took 12-year-old me a while to get to grips with it. Combine that with the fact that the shitty, joke levels are all that is being seen so far from this contest that people are going to judgemental based on these levels they have seen from the LP. I personally think that the contest episode should have been released around the time raocow started his LP, so people could experience the better levels on their own through the editor without having to wait weeks for raocow to play them.

Also, with regards to the SMBX level community being tedious designers, I think it depends on where you look. Level designers like Sux do fit this category (Sux's levels bore me to death, no offensive to Sux), however others like zephyr, Valtteri and Chad are better at creating not-as-tedious levels, and while 3-minute level lengths are ideal for those outside of the SMBX community, the issue with that is that many inside the SMBX community feel that is just too short, and this is shown through the levels they produce, in this community, it seems a 4-8-minute mark (from start-to-finish, collecting everything) is an ideal level length.

It's purely a difference in preference, however people going out trashing the SMBX engine based off joke levels from one Lets Play is a bad idea. Joke levels are meant to be bad on purpose. Show them fangames like Super Mario Star Expedition, Super Mario Collaboration, Mario Classic, Super Talking Time Bros 2, Super Mario Enigmatic and perhaps older episodes like the original Great Castle Adventure. Even upcoming games like LFTTMK and Lowser's Conquest I would show them. I would perhaps avoid the Tower of Biased series, especially number 4, as despite the series being the most well known, it shows off the communities strengths and weaknesses, especially with level length.

The engine itself is not bad, nor are the level designers. There will be both good and bad level designers everywhere you look, and there are strengths and weaknesses in every engine.
Yeah, I've been inactive for a while. Just stopped coming here for whatever reason. Sorry about that. Still, I'll be lurking around more often, especially as I now have a craving to make SMBX levels again.
Supporter Of:

leif_erikson
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby leif_erikson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:54 am

It's actually quite hard to get anything complicated done in Lunar Magic, and to make a collab hack is usually a ridiculous feat with all the juggling of resources, graphics and tile pages, random ASM hacks, etc. SMBX ain't perfect, but the only thing I really like better about lunar magic are the physics of SMW. Damn boat physics in SMBX...
DON'T PM me. Post your questions in the help thread so that others may benefit from the answers.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:01 pm

The people that are complaining about SMBX simply aren't used to how SMBX works and how much more limited it is than Lunar Magic, because in Lunar Magic you can literally do anything for a 2D platformer. with SMBX, we have rough graphics and sounds (if you use 1.3), and a lot of other imperfections we can't fix. With the addition it doesn't exactly cater to beginners.

However, this hardly gives a reason to the Talkhausers to bitch about the engine. They need to realize it's half as hard to use as Lunar Magic.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

DarkShadeX
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby DarkShadeX » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Lunar Magic may be able to make some amazing stuff,but that doesnt mean that SMBX can't do that too.
You can actually do a lot of amazing stuff if you know how to work with Layers and Events and the usage of NPCS and Blocks.

m4sterbr0s
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby m4sterbr0s » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I will most likely say the reason for them saying those things such as "tedius.level designers" and the "clunky non-user friendly smbx" is because it's their first time using the engine. It's pretty obvious if you've been keeping up with the contest results and seeing the first several levels that have been played. So yeah.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

They're all mad because they can't use it and generally hate any Mario level editors that differ from what they're used to. And I don't understand what made them think submitting their very first level to a contest would be a good idea. They probably just wanted to watch raocow play it.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:22 pm

It's alright, they're just not used to SMBX. It's not like we were amazing level designers when we first opened the program, either.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Joey wrote:It's alright, they're just not used to SMBX. It's not like we were amazing level designers when we first opened the program, either.
I may not of have posted anything here four years ago, but I used to make levels when I:
a) did not know how to expand the section size
b) did not know how to use warps
c) did not know how to use layers
d) did not use events

So Of course it was annoying at first! Over the years, we all got better, some more than others! Look at the pros, even they made levels that was not to pleasant, and some of us still do not! It takes time and patience!

ImageImageImage

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 pm

When I first acquired SMBX all those years ago, I didn't know how to expand section sizes or use warps/events/layers, it was all alien to me. Through the simple process of asking, I acquired the desired information I was looking for. It's a shame people went right to bitching instead of just asking questions.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

icemario12
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby icemario12 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:50 am

Yeah, I acquired SMBX 2 years ago and I've been only playing episodes for fun. Way then I had NO IDEA how they made that. It was...MAGIC. I only made bonus levels. I knew nothing about level or world designing.

I watched some videos on episode designing and I tried to home my skills using World Map features, bundling episodes of SMBX 1.2 and changing them a bit. It never was public.

Now having perfect knowledge of custom music and graphics, I'm doing a project, finally! (even if I'm still making the first level, I'm proud of myself; I'll try not to clash!)

At least sort of 2 years until you find your designing capabilities. They don't have to rant about SMBX.
Even with just default graphics, you can still do a pretty neat level. In any case, how did they even GROW with SMBX?

HEY, THIS GAME SERIES IS FUN.

You could even say that...
it's li- gets kicked in the shin

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:57 am

I find it funny that after all these years (2009-present) I still haven't released a SINGLE level.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Syndrilevosse wrote:I find it funny that after all these years (2009-present) I still haven't released a SINGLE level.
I almost know that feel, bro. I've released maybe 6.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

huh
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby huh » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:45 pm

First time found out that you could change the gfx from smbx i made a super clashy mc clash sonic, and man ppl got mad, and i got mad back,and then i figured shit out,and then i heard ppl saying that having a smw mario is impossible on smbx cuz smw merio is way to high on pixels,dont give a damn,make da best smw merio in smbx history.profit.

That is how my story goes

Oh and i never figured lunar magic out.
Huh

Ignoritus
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Ignoritus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:13 pm

By the way, as one of the judges and someone who's been following the thread on Talkhaus closely this thread is a complete and total lie.

A couple of people complained about the editor lacking some of Lunar Magic's user-friendliness (which it does), but most people agreed the engine was good. And there was no "shitstorm" except the one you were trying to start.

Please stop trying to start community drama.
"Like i cna barley even read half.of what is going on"

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Ignoritus wrote:And there was no "shitstorm" except the one you were trying to start.

Please stop trying to start community drama.
How is he even trying to start a shitstorm, and how is he even trying to start community drama? Is your logic flawed?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:02 pm

No shitstorm exists, so no topic about said nonexistent shitstorm shall exist either.

(also, everyone, not every argument contains "flawed logic")

Return to “General”