[center]CURRENT STATUS: RESULTS ARE IN. THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING.
DOWNLOAD THE CONTEST LEVELS HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3O5C ... nZuaWtqM28[/center][/b]
I wanna see you kids throw down. Not by giving me a gross level filled to the brim with custom graphics or some cheap parlor trick done in lunalua.
No I want to see your level design. I want to see you master the art of marios.
So here's what we're gonna do: sign up now, and twiddle your thumbs. Be sure to show up Friday, September 23rd at 9 PM Pacific
, which will be the time I will give you a prompt. You have to make a level based around this prompt within 48 hours and give it to me. It should be short, sweet, and able to adapt to whatever impossible request I think up in a week's time. Until then, you're in the dark. But I'll give you a hint: you won't be needing any custom graphics because I am forbidding you to use any custom graphics.
1) You have until the moment 48 hours have passed since submissions are open to submit your level. I'll allow late entries WITHIN REASONS. If you were off by like a couple minutes or so, then I'll take your entry. If I go to sleep and your PM is sent when I wake up, on the other hand, I am going to shove it back into your face.
2) Failure to follow the guidelines will result in a point reduction of your final score. How severe varies, but at minimum you will lose a whole point off your rating.
3) You are not allowed to use graphics outside of those built-in to SMBX. This is not hard to follow, and if you break this rule, you will be disqualified outright and I will put you on the wall of shame.
4) Sharing your progress is allowed. Even sharing your level with other people is allowed. Working together to make one level, however, is NOT allowed.
5) I have to be able to play this in SMBX 22.214.171.124 out of the box. No exceptions.
6) All submissions are final. I will not accept resubmissions of your level. Please make sure your level is as you would want me to see it before submitting it.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
-Keep your level between 30 seconds and 2 minutes to complete blind. In other words, keep it around the length of an SMB3 level. Actual length is going to be subjective, so use your best guess.
-Your level needs to be completable, as in, the level can be finished by real humans and will end. You can have as many exits as you want, but do keep in mind that a short level with 3 exits is three times the work and possibly me having to play it 3 times, in a contest where I expect levels to take a couple minutes.
-Please do not use SMB3 and SMW stars. Anything else is fair game, except perhaps the "game complete" exit.
-You are allowed to use any music you want, however what music you use will have no effect on your Aesthetics score, mostly due to how music preference can be an unfair advantage. That said, IF you put in custom music, keep it reasonably large and long or I will hit you.
-Use whatever file host you want, but please, if you can help it, use something good like Dropbox or Google Drive. Mediafire is something I can tolerate but dislike dealing with. Hosts I have to wait a minute to use is just going to make me give you dirty looks for having shitty tastes in file hosts.
-At minimum, I only need the .lvl file. Anything extra like custom music, however, you should give to me in a .zip file or other archive 7-Zip can open.
-Oh and, PM first. Bugging me on Discord second.
HOW I'LL JUDGE YOUR CRAP:
-You ever seen this thread
? Same thing's gonna happen. I'm gonna judge your level based off three categories:
Gameplay (How the level played.)
Aesthetics (How the level looks.)
Wildcard (The most prominent feature of your level.)
The first two are self-explanatory. Wildcard, however, is going to be based on a feature of your level I found to be what defines it. As in, this is the lasting impression your level gave me. This is what makes your level yours. This can be good or bad, but it'll usually be what's the biggest part of your level. If it's something like a well-executed gimmick, then except this to be high. If it's something like the most glaring error in your level, expect this to be low.
Each category gets a whole point value out of 10. They are averaged out and that is your score. Highest score wins, so get to it.
Prove you are a level designer in the eyes of me, DarkMatt. Or, failing that, let's do another exciting round of DarkMatt Plays Your Levels and Insults You. (Please don't do this.)
WHO HAS SUBMITTED AND HAS GOTTEN A SMILE FROM DARKMATT
WHO DIDN'T FALL FOR DARKMATT'S SIGNUP TRAP AND SUBMITTED ANYWAY
WHO HAS LOST FAVOR IN THE EYES OF DARKMATT