DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest (Results Posted.)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
DarkMatt
Banned

DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest (Results Posted.)

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:04 pm

[center]CURRENT STATUS: RESULTS ARE IN. THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING.
DOWNLOAD THE CONTEST LEVELS HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3O5C ... nZuaWtqM28[/center][/b]

I wanna see you kids throw down. Not by giving me a gross level filled to the brim with custom graphics or some cheap parlor trick done in lunalua.

No I want to see your level design. I want to see you master the art of marios.

So here's what we're gonna do: sign up now, and twiddle your thumbs. Be sure to show up Friday, September 23rd at 9 PM Pacific, which will be the time I will give you a prompt. You have to make a level based around this prompt within 48 hours and give it to me. It should be short, sweet, and able to adapt to whatever impossible request I think up in a week's time. Until then, you're in the dark. But I'll give you a hint: you won't be needing any custom graphics because I am forbidding you to use any custom graphics.

RULES:
1) You have until the moment 48 hours have passed since submissions are open to submit your level. I'll allow late entries WITHIN REASONS. If you were off by like a couple minutes or so, then I'll take your entry. If I go to sleep and your PM is sent when I wake up, on the other hand, I am going to shove it back into your face.
2) Failure to follow the guidelines will result in a point reduction of your final score. How severe varies, but at minimum you will lose a whole point off your rating.
3) You are not allowed to use graphics outside of those built-in to SMBX. This is not hard to follow, and if you break this rule, you will be disqualified outright and I will put you on the wall of shame.
4) Sharing your progress is allowed. Even sharing your level with other people is allowed. Working together to make one level, however, is NOT allowed.
5) I have to be able to play this in SMBX 1.3.0.1 out of the box. No exceptions.
6) All submissions are final. I will not accept resubmissions of your level. Please make sure your level is as you would want me to see it before submitting it.

WHAT TO SUBMIT:
-Keep your level between 30 seconds and 2 minutes to complete blind. In other words, keep it around the length of an SMB3 level. Actual length is going to be subjective, so use your best guess.
-Your level needs to be completable, as in, the level can be finished by real humans and will end. You can have as many exits as you want, but do keep in mind that a short level with 3 exits is three times the work and possibly me having to play it 3 times, in a contest where I expect levels to take a couple minutes.
-Please do not use SMB3 and SMW stars. Anything else is fair game, except perhaps the "game complete" exit.
-You are allowed to use any music you want, however what music you use will have no effect on your Aesthetics score, mostly due to how music preference can be an unfair advantage. That said, IF you put in custom music, keep it reasonably large and long or I will hit you.
-Use whatever file host you want, but please, if you can help it, use something good like Dropbox or Google Drive. Mediafire is something I can tolerate but dislike dealing with. Hosts I have to wait a minute to use is just going to make me give you dirty looks for having shitty tastes in file hosts.
-At minimum, I only need the .lvl file. Anything extra like custom music, however, you should give to me in a .zip file or other archive 7-Zip can open.
-Oh and, PM first. Bugging me on Discord second.

HOW I'LL JUDGE YOUR CRAP:
-You ever seen this thread? Same thing's gonna happen. I'm gonna judge your level based off three categories:
Gameplay (How the level played.)
Aesthetics (How the level looks.)
Wildcard (The most prominent feature of your level.)
The first two are self-explanatory. Wildcard, however, is going to be based on a feature of your level I found to be what defines it. As in, this is the lasting impression your level gave me. This is what makes your level yours. This can be good or bad, but it'll usually be what's the biggest part of your level. If it's something like a well-executed gimmick, then except this to be high. If it's something like the most glaring error in your level, expect this to be low.

Each category gets a whole point value out of 10. They are averaged out and that is your score. Highest score wins, so get to it.
Prove you are a level designer in the eyes of me, DarkMatt. Or, failing that, let's do another exciting round of DarkMatt Plays Your Levels and Insults You. (Please don't do this.)

WHO HAS SUBMITTED AND HAS GOTTEN A SMILE FROM DARKMATT
PixelPest
JupiHornet
mariofan 64
BattLatt
Ness-Wednesday
Supershroom
Kuribo
MECHDRAGON777
Enjl
Zenithbreak
RhysOwens

WHO DIDN'T FALL FOR DARKMATT'S SIGNUP TRAP AND SUBMITTED ANYWAY
IcyBird
Spinda

WHO HAS LOST FAVOR IN THE EYES OF DARKMATT
Sanct
snoruntpyro
Mr Briney
ParmaJon
Circle Guy
mariogeek2
witchking666
Last edited by DarkMatt on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:23 am, edited 41 times in total.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest (Starts Sep. 23rd)

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm

in i guess
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: e

Postby Sancles-Chan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:38 pm

HECK YE LET'S GO

Omnion
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Omnion » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:40 pm

sign me in

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: stuff in rpg maker and arc 1 of mario videos

Postby mariofan 64 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:22 pm

oh boy, a chance to be either insulted by the legend himself, or the fact that i've been back into smbx enough to actually do this for real. i'm up for the challenge :D
I has youtube now...with some activity :D

Projects: Infinite Mario Bros. For PGE (On the PGE Website, of course) (temp hiatus for other projects, see second link in spoiler for details)
----------RPG games, not related to Mario at all :/
----------A ???? game made in Gamemaker.

Completed: Schedules, Plans, Pages, And Other Things

Processing...Processing...Completed. See message below:
Spoiler: show
Mario Infinity: Quest to Stabilize the World (WIP)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=568
FACEBOOKS:
https://www.facebook.com/EBTKSPaddy
MAI PATREON:
https://www.patreon.com/ebtkspaddy
MAH FRIEND'S YOUTUBES WHERE ME AND MAH FRIEND'S ARE AT:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRoSEH ... rVJdozjwUA

Kuribo
Rex
Rex

Postby Kuribo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:47 pm

I'd like to sign up.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:07 pm

Sure I would like to sign up for this. I think I have a gimmick in mind that will impress you.
~Kōri

ImageImageImage

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:26 pm

People don't seem to be getting the point of this contest, so it's time to reiterate in lovely large text.

I am giving you themes, mechanics, gimmicks, what-have-you that you will have to work into your level.

This can be anything from what blocks to use, to what NPCs, to how your level should play out, etcetera.

The best way for you to win this contest is if you keep an open mind, so that you can handle any prompt I give you.

You are ill-advised to get to work NOW, especially if you make something that is completely opposite of the prompt to be given. You are instead encouraged to be ready to build a nice level over the course of 48 hours.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:36 pm

no teams? darn. sign me up either way.

quick word though regarding music - having it not affect the aesthetic score is a weird decision since i believe having summertime happiness music in a tense volcano level does influence the atmosphere. Will using halberd vanilla theme in a smb1 grassland not influence anything?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:51 pm

DarkMatt wrote: I am giving you themes, mechanics, gimmicks, what-have-you that you will have to work into your level.
Challenge accepted, I'll join your little Vanilla contest.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:19 pm

DarkMatt wrote:People don't seem to be getting the point of this contest, so it's time to reiterate in lovely large text.

I am giving you themes, mechanics, gimmicks, what-have-you that you will have to work into your level.

This can be anything from what blocks to use, to what NPCs, to how your level should play out, etcetera.

The best way for you to win this contest is if you keep an open mind, so that you can handle any prompt I give you.

You are ill-advised to get to work NOW, especially if you make something that is completely opposite of the prompt to be given. You are instead encouraged to be ready to build a nice level over the course of 48 hours.

I am keeping an open mind, I am saying the gimmick I have in mind should fit though. (If it does not, then that will be a shock, but still.) Good luck to everyone.

ImageImageImage

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Enjl wrote:no teams? darn. sign me up either way.

quick word though regarding music - having it not affect the aesthetic score is a weird decision since i believe having summertime happiness music in a tense volcano level does influence the atmosphere. Will using halberd vanilla theme in a smb1 grassland not influence anything?
It won't influence anything at all.

The reason why I've made this is because I want this contest to be judged on level design, not aesthetics. Since I am expecting the graphics you are going to use, the Aesthetics part of your grade won't be whatever you can dig up to spruce up your level. It will be how well you can use a limited palette to its full potential.

Since I am not going to be saying you have to use certain tracks, I am not going to allow people with impressive knowledge of music to have an unfair advantage.

Sides, you're talking to someone who is going to take this as an opportunity to mute SMBX and play the contest levels with background noise.

I'd still appreciate the gesture of matching music with level, though.

Also, if I make this a bigger shindig, I would allow teams, so long as each member of that team submits their own level. Right now it's just me and one round. A full version of this contest would be three to five judges and six rounds.

snoruntpyro
Pokey
Pokey

Postby snoruntpyro » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:49 pm

sure why not

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:59 am

i'll join

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 am

Ah, I see where you're coming from. Makes sense.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:47 am

I think I'll go for it

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:01 am

I guess this simple (?) stuff is a good occasion to do my first SMBX level ever. Even though I'll only have Saturday to do it, I'm audacious.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:13 pm

I'll sign up for this.
Will the prompt come via PM?

ParmaJon
Rex
Rex
Current Project: that one thing

Postby ParmaJon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:46 pm

eh, i may make something.
Literally half my posts are shitposts
I do the youtubes

Zenithbreak
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Zenithbreak » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:34 pm

sign me up

Return to “General”