DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest (Results Posted.)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest (Submissions closed.)

Postby Radiance » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:26 am

DarkMatt, what will happen to us who didn't pass? :lol:

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:26 am

Mr Briney wrote:DarkMatt, what will happen to us who didn't pass? :lol:
I told you. You're on a list now.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:41 pm

I am almost done with reviews, and now a very important question must be had:

How much effort should I put into screenshots for the level?
I can do not at all, and give you the reviews right now.
I can do somewhat, and mainly just take .png screenshots, this will not take any time, but will slightly delay the reviews.
Or I can go full steam and give you the real DarkMatt Insults You experience, however you are looking at several more days to wait.

There's a poll up. Vote on it while I finish the last couple of levels and begin editing the reviews.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Who cares about screenshots. If people want to see the levels they can play them themselves imo

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Whichever you feel like doing.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Oh, that is true. I will probably be bundling up the levels and putting it up on the thread once I am done. I think one day I want to make a hub for them, but now's probably not the time for ambitious projects like that.

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: stuff in rpg maker and arc 1 of mario videos

Postby mariofan 64 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:21 pm

i would like the full experience. it's not the DarkMatt Reviews TM without the insults and gifs to go with it ;)
I has youtube now...with some activity :D

Projects: Infinite Mario Bros. For PGE (On the PGE Website, of course) (temp hiatus for other projects, see second link in spoiler for details)
----------RPG games, not related to Mario at all :/
----------A ???? game made in Gamemaker.

Completed: Schedules, Plans, Pages, And Other Things

Processing...Processing...Completed. See message below:
Spoiler: show
Mario Infinity: Quest to Stabilize the World (WIP)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=568
FACEBOOKS:
https://www.facebook.com/EBTKSPaddy
MAI PATREON:
https://www.patreon.com/ebtkspaddy
MAH FRIEND'S YOUTUBES WHERE ME AND MAH FRIEND'S ARE AT:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRoSEH ... rVJdozjwUA

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 pm

I don't care what style... I mean give use the real DarkMatt results!
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:27 am

I don't know if I made it clear in the poll, but you are going to have to wait several more days if you want me to do the full experience.

Think about this for a second, and go change your vote if you realized you probably want to see the results now instead of twiddle your thumbs for another week.

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:23 pm

[center]JUDGING[/center]
I would like to thank the 12 people who managed to answer the call and make a 48-hour level for the contest. I think it's mostly because of the length and time constraints, but I managed to see a lot of variety in our entries, despite 90% of them using the same background.

Here are some interesting factoids:
-Not a single person used the SMB2 backgrounds available. What do you all have against SMB2? They're even some of the better backgrounds what the fuck?
-There were some people who used both SMW Night and SMW Desert Night and I'm wondering why they think using two backgrounds with noticeably different sky colors was a good idea.
-Most of you did a good job making use of restricted enemies, which makes me think I picked the perfect ratio the next time I want to restrict those overused jerks.
-There were actually levels that I played multiple times. Not because I had to double-take on how bad it was, but it was so fun to play the first time I wanted a better idea of how it flows. That's impressive.
-Two people used custom music. I wonder if some authors were listening to their own music while making the level and then picked something generic.
-There were two levels with optional sections, and not just distractions on the main course of the level, actual secret bonus sections.

Now then, let's begin. I didn't explain in the rules because it wasn't really relevant until now, but for me to consider your level for ranking, IT HAS TO GET AT LEAST A 1/10 OR HIGHER. If your score goes below that, or isn't a number at all, then it means I think your level was a complete waste of your time to make and I am not going to stack it up with other levels for various reasons.

Instead it goes here, to highlight how much of a fuckup you are. I was hoping everyone would be able to stay the hell out of this corner but nope. Surprise surprise. One idiot did this badly.

THE WALL OF SHAME

CastleRaid
Submitted by: IcyBird
Gameplay: 2/10
Aesthetics: 1/10
HEY INTRUDER FUCK YOU Bonus: 1/10
USES A BANNED BACKGROUND PENALTY: -2
FINAL SCORE: -0.66 DID NOT QUALIFY

DM Sez: You know instead of tearing apart this repetitive, boring level that used five fucking blocks for graphics, I want to point out something more significant.

In addition to the level, I also got a folder for assets to use in the level. What was it full of? 1 mp3, 1 txt for npc codes, and TWENTY EIGHT GRAPHICS FILES.

That's not the best part though. All these graphics files? They're vanilla graphics. Included for, well, absolutely no reason. You'd think that'd be fine, but then imagine me spending the first couple minutes with this level, not playing it, but confirming that yes these are all vanilla graphics and this person has just wasted my fucking time.

Oh yeah also that one mp3 file? That's used in the level, but there's also a custom mp3 entered for an mp3 that doesn't exist, and instead uses Corneria music for that section. And then I get to the 3-TIMES-BOOM-BOOM boss and then it's Metroid Prime. If custom music did matter, Aesthetics would go down to 0/10.

This level is ass.

Now that we got that out of the way, we can take the rest of the entries seriously now. Here we go.

By the way, ties are broken by sneezing into a napkin and seeing which level resembles the snot the most.

Hammer and Bullets walking Together
Did You Read A God Damn Thing?: Ness-Wednesday
Gameplay: 5/10
Aesthetics: 5/10
Line Rider Bonus: 4/10
USES MORE RESTRICTED ENEMIES THAN ALLOWED PENALTY: -3
FINAL SCORE: 1.66

DM Sez: Aesthetics were, well, almost good. I was interested by the selection of graphics until I started seeing just how much was used. That's when my thought went from, "Oh this looks nice," to, "He is throwing BGOs at the wall and hoping they'll stick."

I do not get the point of 95% of the non-existant veggies in your level. I don't know why you did it or why you even kept those in because, if the reason was seriously more clutter I'm gonna slap you across the head and tell you to not ignore how things work just to make an already faltering theme more cluttered.

As for the level itself, well, ignoring the big red penalty and everything pointed out now it manages to hold its own. Side areas were a nice idea but my initial run had me completely not seeing them nor expecting them. However, I do feel like you seriously did just drew random ground and sprinkled it with enemies and called it a day. That's not really level design so much as it is putting ideas down, putting sprinkles on them, and assuming that's a level. It's not. You're only getting near a 5 because this at least manages to not do anything bad because it can't.
#11:

Night Platforming
Submitted by: Supershroom
Gameplay: 3/10
Aesthetics: 2/10
Koopa The Quick Bonus: 2/10
FINAL SCORE: 2.33

DM Sez: You know, I don't want to be right, but did you look at the length constraints and thought, "Oh I should time the player then."

That's the main gimmick of this level: You have 60 seconds to beat it or you have to suicide. This, on paper, is not a bad idea. How it was implemented is the reason why this level was not fun to play. I have to count 60 seconds in my head, I do not get the option to retry, (which is totally possible to do), it's mandatory, but most of all, the level offers very little in the sense of leeway. This means that, provided you don't die the first time because some of the platforming is difficult, you will likely run out of time because the 60 second time limit was based around the notion that you know the level. That's where this level catastrophically fucked up: it's hard only because I am forced to rush through it, and the gimmick is very poorly implemented.

And that's the gameplay. The Aesthetics are a fucking mess. Why? Because for some reason Supershroom thought adding in as MANY GRAPHICS AS POSSIBLE was the same as detailed well-thought art styles. It's fucking not. It's a diarrhea mess and it's only vaugely appealing due to certain decisions. Barfing all the graphics on the level and expecting them all to just work only shows that you have no idea how Aesthetics actually work.
#10:

StarryNightsDeluxe
Submitted by: mariofan 64
Aesthetics: 4/10
Invisible Block Bonus: 2/10
FINAL SCORE: 3

DM Sez: This is an, okay concept. I think the concept of Sparks and Mushroom Blocks is a pretty good one. It's used for like a third of the already short level. By the way, most of the playtime is padded out by a Mouser at the end. I won't take points off for having a level so short you had to put a boss in to extend it.

But I will be taking points off because of the screenshot of this level. I thought, "Oh, I need to go up and above the clouds sure I can do that." Then I saw the Spark generator and thought, "Oh my God I cannot believe this level just shot the fuck up in difficulty." But that's not the best part. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't go through the clouds up to the top of the level. And then I fucking look at it in the editor and THERE'S TANOOKI BLOCKS MAKING THE CLOUDS SOLID. WHY? BECAUSE MARIOFAN 64 WANTED ME TO GO THROUGH THE VASE. OKAY.

You do not get to randomly decide when clouds are solid or not just because you can't figure out how to fix your gimmick, ESPECIALLY THE SAME LOOKING CLOUDS. That's a really bad thing to do in level design.
#9:

Stone Starway
Submitted by: Zenithbreak
Aesthetics: 3/10
Bare Bone-us: 3/10
FINAL SCORE: 3

DM Sez: This is another one of those levels where it thought of things to use in a level that, if better expressed, could have led to something really interesting. However, this level is especially devoid of obstacles. What it has works, but not by themselves. There was a flicker of complexity near the end but that was it.

The same goes for graphics, in that ideas were had but not capitalized in the slightest. Using SMW ground for a base was a good idea but that idea ended there, leading to not much at all, really.
#8:

you beat the level! good job!!
Submitted by: Enjl
Gameplay: 4/10
Aesthetics: 4/10
Arbitrary Bonus: 2/10
FINAL SCORE: 3.33

DM Sez: In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a Super Mario Maker level that I am likely to pull out of its hat: as in the random slew of unreasonably difficult challenges wrapped up into one level. It's worse here though, because this is combined with events to make challenges that I have to just divine how they work. Not to mention some of those challenges are a bit glitchy, and some of them really just comes down to, "OH LET'S POKE AT THE LEVEL UNTIL IT WORKS."

Aesthetics kind of ignored a problem when you have no background behind the rest of the graphics. I think Enjl was expecting me to give it a pass but no, honestly it doesn't look good. There were also the very questionable graphic choice of quicksand because ?????.

But you know I was expecting to play a nice level instead of bullshit that belongs in Mario Maker. There's a reason why I don't play that anymore.
#7:

FLASHback
Submitted by: JupiHornet
Aesthetics: 2/10
Under Construction Bonus: 4/10
FINAL SCORE: 3.66

DM Sez: This level had the makings of a good one: interesting use of blocks, consistent enemy palette, and interesting block placement.

It only gets as far as getting the building blocks of a good level in. It never works them into a full, fun level. Two thirds of the level has little to no enemies, and though there's platforming it's not particularly interesting platforming.

The worst offender, however, is the choices of graphics. Bushes and Bridge Rails visibly above ground, and SMB3 NIPPER PLANTS AND SMW TURN BLOCKS on my SMB1 cave ground? That all kinds of doesn't work and doesn't look good. It's a bad sign of inconsistency, at that, and that really drags this level down.
#6:

Airborne...uh...bubbles. There that's good.
Submitted by: BattLatt
Aesthetics: 5/10
Swimming in Space Bonus: 3/10
FINAL SCORE: 4

DM Sez: There are cool ideas going for this level's gimmick. Hell, this level has a gimmick that could be good. This level just has no idea how to make that gimmick fun. The pace of the level moves like molassis, just like these bubbles! It makes for very boring gameplay that has me falling asleep half the time. The only thing that was a problem was the other problem with this level. Fucking buzzsaw out of god damn nowhere with the only tell being a nondescript wire block for it to bounce off of. Just, why that? Why was that there?

Also, I knew to expect some questionable graphics choices but SMB1 clouds in a predominantly SMW themed level was not a good idea. Neither was the giant fuckoff spike wall that looked ridiculously out of place. If it weren't for those two glaring issues Aesthetics would be higher.
#5:

Thwomp Castle Rooftops
Submitted by: RhysOwns
Gameplay: 5/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Grab Bag Bonus: 3/10
FINAL SCORE: 4.66

DM Sez: It's a neat concept. A castle rooftop done over a night background was something that I was intrigued by heading into it.

But I can easily tell how much consistency this kid had with his idea. For a name like Thwomp Castle Rooftops there are like, 5 Thwomps, in 2 groups. The rest of the ~25 enemies? Anything that was seen as fun to do, and that was like, a 70% chance to actually be fun and not tedious and boring like nets and lifts and spinjumping across floating spikes.

It was an idea, but, that's about the only thing I saw in this level. Design wasn't asinine to go through, but spastic design isn't that much better.
4th place:

kuribo contest level
Submitted by: Kuribo
Aesthetics: 9/10
Flip Bonus: 7/10
FINAL SCORE: 6.67

DM Sez: This might be the coolest gimmick of the contest, and I think it pulls it off really well. Coupled with the graphics this level has a really cool idea going for it.

It's just too bad the level struggles to register a heartbeat of challenge. This is mostly because this is probably also the level with the fewest NPCs. Well-executed gimmicks does not a good level make, and I felt that, throughout the level, there was really little point to even have powerups because there was very little in the way of threats, except maybe the spikes, but even then that was nothing.
3rd place:

Yoru no Paipu
Submitted by: MECHDRAGON777
Gameplay: 7/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
"You know at least you give me Japanese." Bonus: 7/10
FINAL SCORE: 7.33

DM Sez: An overall solid level. Level layout and enemy placement is pretty engaging and the aesthetics really hold their own.

There's a lot more going for this level if you try to get the Dragon Coins and the secret exit, and I think that is fine, though it leaves me with the normal exit that could've been more fleshed out, or unified with the secret exit. You have to do somersaults and loop-de-loops and backtracking to get the secret exit, but the normal exit is straight ahead. I think MECHDRAGON has gotten a hang of going between drawing a straight line and drawing a bezier curve for level progression.

Finally, I think the normal way to finish this level, especially the latter half, is a bit too devoid of complicated obstacles. There's just enemies to hop on for the most part of that half and it feels like the level really loses steam past that point.
2nd place:

A Dungeonous Night Sky
Submitted by: PixelPest
Gameplay: 8/10
Aesthetics: 9/10
Wire Bonus: 8/10
FINAL SCORE: 8.33

DM Sez: Your level was able to keep me on my toes the entire time. While I think it might've been a bit much I was constantly thinking about what to do and where to go. I did not just stroll through your level and it actually engaged with me. As such, it's really good.

The aesthetics were also very well pulled off, giving a great feeling of a sort of dilapidated castle.

As for flaws, as mentioned before I think it gets a bit too trying, but I'm fine with it being a more difficult level. However, I do not see the point of the Fire Piranha Plants as they are largely ineffective at doing much hinderence. That's probably for the better though. Some of the things to collect on the side are also very questionable, as in, I find it really difficult to convince myself to go back a little bit in the level for 6 coins, especially considering the overall difficulty of this level. There are also a few gimmicks that didn't feel as strong as the rest of the level's, like ducking under spikes.

All in all, this level is pretty good at having a main gimmick with others to back it up. The only thing that raises an eyebrow of mine is how some aspects of the level aren't pulling their weight, and OCD traps.
1st place and the winner of DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest:

Image Image Image

Good Night, Mario
Submitted by: Spinda
Gameplay: 9/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
True Colors Bonus: 10/10
FINAL SCORE: 9

DM Sez: This level takes usual tropes I have against levels and throws them back into my face.

I want to start by saying this level has done the very impressive feat of having it all be done in one semi-small section, and it's a level that takes more than just 30 seconds to play the first time around.

Normally I give shit about LORE in levels but this has blended LORE into level theme so well, and it's actually written pretty well, that I gotta give the Bonus to that. This is because a level based around turf wars is actually supported rather well, not just by the dialogue written into it, but by the level design. It's by no means perfect, and there's some loose ends and non-sequiters I wish was stitched a bit better, like why Mario is here. But it's a rather solid presentation all around and it helps me keep my smile as I play through the level.

Speaking of, this level has a lot of different enemies. Normally I would be concluding that Spinda just threw NPCs at the wall until they stick, but every enemy I had to get through had its own place, and challenged the player in its own way. The reason why random caprice for enemy placement is bad is because it's usually done because of a lack of thought to how the author should challenge the player and ends with a level that barely conveys its challenge. This is not the case here, and I feel most of the blocks and enemies are here to do what they wanted in this level, which helps to keep it very, very interesting.

Finally, graphics are very nice, pushing the limits of vanilla and getting a great payoff in the end. I do think, however, that the limits were pushed a bit too much and some of the aesthetics in the level has me scratching my head, like ice blocks and waterfalls. These are, however, mere pet peeves as I think the art direction has managed to really bring out the most of vanilla graphics, and in such a tiny space as well.
I'll write more later I am juggling several activities as I speak.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Re: DarkMatt's Vanilla Prompt Mini-Contest (Results Posted.)

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:59 am

I can not believe a ligetamatly got 3rd. When I opened eighth place and saw Enjl, I got very scared. I forgot to add coins and a paratroopa to the later half. I am glad you enjoyed it though. I recorded a .gif of this level, but it is 81 MB in size. I almost submitted the level without sound by mistake as well, hehe. Thank you everyone who participated atleast.

ImageImageImage

Zenithbreak
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Zenithbreak » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:12 am

That's a fair score considering that I basically just barfed out 30 seconds of boring obstacles without putting in any effort.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:01 am

I'm glad you liked my level!
im a girl yo

Kuribo
Rex
Rex

Postby Kuribo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:59 am

This contest was a fun challenge, I like seeing the directions everyone went within the vanilla constraints.

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: e

Postby Sancles-Chan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:19 am

Next time make a decent prompt

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:23 am

Congrats to the winner!

Omnion
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Omnion » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 am

well hey 6th is

Kinda good

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:16 am

Well, this was pretty fun! I'm up for another round of this.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:01 am

I'm very pleased with my placement. Congrats to Spinda too

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:14 pm

My level was a nighttime remake of the first level in Super Mario Flash (hence the name, and the sign at the beginning).
I did better than I expected to, though XP
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Return to “General”