Haunted Contest 2 (Spooky Results)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
The Thwomp King
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Haunted Contest 2 (Spooky Results)

Postby The Thwomp King » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:15 pm

The Standard Rules

Violation of these rules will result in disqualification.
  • The judges mustn't know which level you made. You may not reveal any details about the level to the public before the judges are done judging all the levels. This includes showing screenshots of the level prior to this announcement. You may not submit a level that you've posted screenshots of, or videos for that matter. And you can't say which level you made.
  • You may only submit one level. If it's an accident, we'll just drop the extra level but if you submit a second level under another name, both levels will be disqualified.
  • The level has to be made by you and you alone.
  • You must submit the level before the deadline. If you submit after the deadline you will automatically get 2 points off your score after all scores are averaged together for your level.
  • You must inform us what characters can or cannot be used in the level.
  • The level cannot end to other than a Star (SMW or SMB3) and it can't have more than three.
  • The level can't end the game.
  • Don't put the .lvl or the music in the graphics folder.
  • Do not use music that goes beyond 6 minutes. And this refers to just one song, not all the songs together.
  • Levels with unreasonable difficulty will be scored low. Judges are not required to beat levels if they're crazy hard. This is because they often take too much time to complete, they are generally tedious.
  • No Joke or Kaizo (as mentioned with difficulty) levels
  • Adding a boss is optional
  • LUNADLL, LUNA LUA, SMBX 2, PGE, are allowed. No SMBX 1.4 Please include all APIs in the level folder.
  • By submitting a level you agree that it will be in a public episode containing all the submissions.
  • By submitting a level here, you agree that all scores from judges here will be accounted for if you submit this level to the levels sub-forum. The scores will not be accounted for if you updated the level after the results of the contest are posted. If results don't come three weeks after the deadline, then you may post your level publicly on the level sub-forum if you want to.
  • The level you submit must not used in any contests prior to this one. Furthermore the level must not be from a completed episode either as it is already available to the public, and the level must not be revealed to the public in any way, shape, or form.
  • Lastly, please test your level!
Additional Themed Rules
  • The level must involve some sort of haunted theme..
  • Jump scares are fair game.
Examples: (Just because something is on here doesn't mean you can't do it. These are just some basic ideas in case you don't have anything else in mind).

How to submit a level
  • Put your level in a ZIP along with the optional custom graphics folder and custom music.
  • Please don't put the files in another folder before archiving because I will have to move them out afterwards and that's more unnecessary work for me.
  • You may include a readme with tips if you want. But if your readme only has credits for graphics or something, please put it in the graphics folder. I only want critical info regarding playing the level next to the levels themselves.
  • Submit the level to me through pm. If you submit it to anyone else or post the submission anywhere else it will be disqualified.
Judging Standards
  • All scores cannot surpass two decimal points. It really shouldn't come to giving a level a rating past that, and you can use one or no decimal points too.
  • Do all reviews in order of Entry 1 to the Final Entry This saves me a lot of time when everything is sent to me organized and done in order, so please do this!
  • Submit all reviews in either one single text or word document, or you can pm me all the reviews at one (IN ORDER). I will not accept zip files with multiple text files for it becomes tedious work for me to copy and paste everything into a final document of all of the reviews.
  • The Backup Judge must only submit reviews of levels made by the judges (in order of entry number still).
  • No additional judges or guest judges. If they didn't ask to be a judge and aren't listed as a one of the five, or a backup judge, then their scores will not count for the final result.
  • No spoiling reviews or scores before they are posted. You can discuss your reviews after the results have been posted.
The Judges
The Thwomp King
MECHDRAGON777
Linik
PROX
bossedit8

The Backup Judge
N/A

The Contestants Bolded = Submitted
Linik
Ness-Wednesday
RhysOwens
PixelPest
mariogeek2
PROX
MECHDRAGON777
Camacho
BattLatt
RPG_MagicianBot
Super Mario Channel
zlakergirl357
Jacob Turbo
dragonfan96
litchh

The Deadline
October 21st

RESULTS

Places 9th-5th
Spoiler: show
9. The Bloodstained Mansion by dragonfan96 (0.2/10)

The Thwomp King (0/10)

The music and visuals are pretty nice. The addition of the FNAF sister location ballora theme is interesting to have too, and it works oddly enough. You stuck with the generic haunted house, but added some darkness with the dead toads and blood dripping from them. The spike section is a pain when you’re bigger and needs to be expanded to be more fair. The ballora music section is mad unsettling when you know something is after you, but spin jumping on all of the blocks to find something just never works well. At the very least the bottom should have a pipe that takes you back to the top when you get stuck going down one path. Furthermore the quality of the level drops further when you have messed up blocks causing repeat event dialogue showing up and doors that don’t work either. On top of it all, the level is not completable.

MECHDRAGON777 (0/10)

Impossible level. Please submit a video on Youtube about this level. I think you forgot to place a door somewhere.

bossedit8 (1/10)

This level is not at all my liking as of how it's designed and such. I mean sure it does have those creepy aspect of hanging Toads with blood drippling out of them and some of them are actually alive and attack you in a swooper styled NPCs but even with those cool things this level has, there's just a lot of it that really drains it dramatically. At the climbable area, being big is next to impossible to advance through it unharmed. There's one room with like a lot of turn blocks and at the top of it it's slippery for no reason but this whole turn block section is a puzzle... you have to pick the right one after you get some infos from the message block but once you pick the wrong one which is literally anywhere besides 2 you'll lose a 1UP and have to restart the level again. Also I love how those NPCs that usually spawn from the pipes aren't specifically correct like they spawn from the wrong side of the area where the pipes are usually facing to (Example, pipe from the bottom but the NPC as of how it spawns is coming from the top). Later on, for some reason you get to a slight maze and there's also death traps... which, why... that's not a good idea to do that like once you enter a door you get killed as in losing a 1UP. At least you get one secret star in this level but the main star is literally impossible to get, means this level has been never tested fully.

Linik (0/10)

I'm sorry, but this level was absolutely atrocious. If anything, this level is solely designed to piss the player off with its unfair puzzles and traps. One such example is the turning block puzzle, where the player is expected to find the right blocks to destroy so they can uncover a pipe. It's simple enough, but you have a rough 1 in 2000 chance of finding the right block. Yep, there are so many of them it's nearly impossible. There's also another one which involves having to run against a P-Switch so they can uncover an entrance, but it turns out to be a trap where the player has no escape, and must commit suicide. I would go on more but this would make the review too long, so I'll cut to mentioning that this is only setting the player up for the biggest problem of the level - it is not finished. If you look in the editor, there is no way to make a warp to the exit appear, so the only way to "complete" the level is to get the SMW star and commit suicide. I can tell that this level was clearly not tested properly, so please test your levels properly in future. You may know where all the exits are, but another person who's playing the level most likely won't!

PROX (0/10)

This level is lacking in the possibility factor. I think you forgot to place a warp somewhere.

8. Moltenstone Labs by mariogeek2 (2.93/10)

The Thwomp King (2.5/10)

I swear the entrance/exit doors at the beginning of levels gets to me every time I see one in one of my contests. I’m not taking off, I just had to throw that out there. :p

Anyway you have an interesting setting for this level. I wouldn’t call it scary/haunted with what you presented, but I respect the idea as it’s a good one to try to pursue. You have nice visuals and good music, but scan through the level again considering I found a few spots with no blocks showing where there should be blocks. You had a nice start with the level in terms of using the lava environment to make interesting platforming, but after the first section you throw that away with all this open space. The level turned into a “spin jump on and avoid the eeries” for a good duration that wasn’t necessary. NPC placement wasn’t consistent with too many eeries throughout the level and some annoying rinkas in the first section. The fact that the level is incomplete doesn’t help either.

MECHDRAGON777 (3.14/10, rounded from π)

Okay, so this is a level like Moonstone labs, but more boring, lag filled, and has a lot of cutoff in the lava. Also, the rules said to specify what character the judge is supposed to play as and their was no readme or folder name telling me not to play as Klonoa or Peach. I do not see this going that far.

bossedit8 (3/10)

Eh, this level was meh. I find the concept neat as of how the dialogue goes but as of how the level design itself goes with enemy placements it wasn't all too great especially where you literally have to spinjump over Eeries to get further with more Eeries later on that are evily placed over a longer lavapool... like for the first time I played this, this spot was surely mean to bypass. I sure love fast generating Sparkies in front of the next door and also a sign (or a PC I should say) that's a bit difficult to catch because of those Sparkies generating quite fast and such. Love how that one Dragon Coin is completly unreachable at the first section. Also broken death effect on that robot guy but usually you couldn't kill by regular means until you slide into it. Also one last note, missing and cutoffish tiles on certain areas. I do like the background though... it looks nice even though those lavafall are too bright to be in the background (and I don't mean background objects, I mean that they're literally in the background in this level).

Linik (3/10)

Yeah yeah, I know that time constraints were getting in the way, but the level's quality suffers a lot due to this factor. In particular, there are a lot of signs that denote that this level was rushed, which it most likely was. Aside from the short length, one such example is the sporadic placement of the Eeries to the point where they don't look naturalistic. But the biggest problem with this level is that the haunted theme is absent. Simply slapping ghost enemies into any random environment doesn't make it haunted, because they need to be used in tandem with the environment for them to work effectively, and in this case, they don't fit. The music and the overall atmosphere of the level doesn't give out a haunted feel at all either; the lava/factory setting outweighs the haunted factor as well. My advice to you is, first of all, if you don't think you have enough time to complete the level and it doesn't feel complete, then don't submit it. Secondly, remember that the inclusion of Boos in a level does not make it haunted. Even SMB3's fortresses used Boos, and they were still fortresses!

PROX (3/10)

To put it bluntly, this level is bad. It forces the player to spin jump across lava, and the Eerie spam is just crazy. I also don't like the fact that you have to wait for platforms to appear while dodging rinkas. Also the bgos clash horribly with the level and there are some bgos that look like blocks which make things pretty confusing for the player.

7. Home of the Opened Gravestones by RhysOwens (3.38/10)

The Thwomp King (3.5/10)

You had a great haunted setting; unsettling music, a haunted environment, and bloody NPC’s. Now with all this set up for you, you failed to establish a significant level to go with it. The construction of the level in particular isn’t bad, but there was hardly anything in the gameplay itself that made the level stand out. The level was short, bland, and lacked the life it needed to be a memorable haunted forest. I think you can make an amazing level with the graphics, music, and atmosphere you developed. Just throw in a gimmick or something more interesting to improve this level.

MECHDRAGON777 (3.14/10, rounded from π)

This is one of the most flat and most boring level I have play thus far. the Jump scare is actually cut-off on the sides of the cemetery. Not much else to say besides why is their a SMW star that requires a leaf, yet no leaf in the level.

bossedit8 (3.75/10)

This surely was a level with several elevations going on but it also was a level where I can just be fast without knowing much what's going on and be done with it so soon... but for it's length it was alright, a little bit longer probably and the enemy variety seems a bit lacking throughout the level. The secret star, as in how to get it you have to get to the wall after the first power up before in this level and jump... there's a invisible vine block and once you're up there you get the secret star. Also, for some apparent reason you can climb on these fences... I don't know if it's intentional or not but I guess it shouldn't happen like that. There is only one part where the ground disappears and you appear further on into the level... as a spooky effect sort of say. The rest we have enemies covered in blood and that's it for the spooky part of this level but I do like the music choice here. Overall, a ok level but could of done way more than that like more variety of enemies, a little bit longer and such.

Linik (2.5/10)

OK, now this one was plain not good. The music and the bloodstained enemies at least bring about an unnerving atmosphere, and the ground breaking away was interesting, but the level has some really bad design choices. For starters, we have a bland tileset and little variance in the landforms, which makes the level feel really barren despite the decoration. Also, there are too many powerups in the level, which was really short and thus didn't have much going for it. I can easily tell that this level was rushed.

PROX (4/10)

The level had a creepy atmosphere based on the music and the theme of the tileset. As far as the level is concerned, not much really happened. It basically went on and on until the jumpscare which has cutoff in it btw. The level itself was pretty flat and really didn't introduce anything new. Also how on earth do you get that secret star? Based on what I see, it requires a leaf which isn't provided in this level at all.

6. 2k15-1 Halloween Massacre by litchh (5.75/10)

The Thwomp King (4/10)

The visuals were something. Graphics were fairly consistent with a clash of a few game graphics mashing in there. The mentionings of the smbx community is pretty interesting too throughout the level. NPC and coin placement is pretty nice. Besides the theme of dead smbx levels, there wasn’t much that made the level itself that fun. The dialogue kinda gets dry too after a while where more fun platforming could’ve been had. The level is pretty flat and without the dialogue you could fly through the level with few issues.

MECHDRAGON777 (5.55/10)

A level that is not cannon in the 2K1X series. I liked seeing TAK_Wraith/Wraith Admanknight/as303298 in this since I only seen him once in the series as a dry bones. I am surprised by the strong language in the level, and poor lua ussage. Nice Shiny Mudkip boss at least. It seemed a little on the long side though.

bossedit8 (8.5/10)

Seems like Hypnosis is appearing out of nowhere. This level is pretty cool and I like how it works as of what it contains such as characters that are acting like enemies since they're having red eyes (Toads, Luigi, and so on...). I do like as of how it goes and also how some of them even have different AIs as of how they work and I can tell that since they're moving differently and such. Neat idea! I also like how later on there are some tombstones that says that those character are dead and then later on the characters that you killed appears too when you do it. Not much to say since you go right a lot of time with several obstacles and enemies on your way... and other stuff to do but even so, a fun level to play with neat ideas. Our boss is Mudkip that acts like Birdo but with different AI... it's pretty cool. I think there's one thing that I dislike though and that is that there's one talkable NPC that once you talk to it, after that you get immediadly hurt by that.

Linik (4.7/10)

This isn't a bad level. It's your pretty standard run 'n jump, but it starts to get repetitive after a while because that's all you're really doing. The Boo traps were a neat touch, as were the random ice tiles, which were worked in quite well into the level. The level's biggest selling point, though, is the idea that which NPCs are killed, certain gravestones show up later on in the level denoting which NPCs you killed, and how they died. That's good and that, but the level has a fair amount of flaws. Overall, the level feels rather flat, and it's not uncommon to see long stretches of flat ground, and section 2 has Boo spam. Towards the end, the Frozen Boo sprite can easily kill the player if they don't expect it to come alive. As for the boss fight, that was the level's biggest fault. Throughout the level, the boss is hyped up to be something dangerous, considering it has killed a lot of SMBX community members, but it turns out to be really easy to beat (just keep jumping to dodge) and is thus anticlimactic.

PROX (6/10)

Nothing really stood out in this level. It had an interesting story, and the gameplay was pretty solid, but there could have been more to this. This level had decent npc variety, and it seemed to be designed around Link which wasn't really indicated at all. The Mudkip fight at the end was
a bit dull. It was pretty repetitive honestly. With Link, the boss is pretty much a pushover with Link's shield ability. Overall, the level isn't bad, but it lacks creativity and it isn't all that memorable. I know you can be pretty creative when you want to be. Also this level wasn't really scary.

5. The Last Shy Guy Exorcism II by PixelPest (5.87/10)

The Thwomp King (5/10)

Great job in making this level more unsettling as it’s predecessor. You get a good atmosphere involved with some nice visuals. The cutscenes were well established, and I gotta say the multiple endings is clever; the idea of collecting no coins to go to heaven is quite the task to accomplish, but it’s creative at least. The level plays alright, but the spike platforming could use work where it’s easy to destroy the platforms that are there for you. Through all the hard work, the level itself is very short and to a point where it’s length is heavily relied on the cutscenes taking up most of the time.

MECHDRAGON777 (5.5/10)

This level is not creepy, it is disgusting. It is a little too short to be much fun. (...or as little fun you can get from throwing decapitated toads around.) Also, please do not decapitate Toads from the eye sockets. That is is just disturbing. The fact the gore is shown on screen is worse. I can handle blood, but that is it. After coming back to the level though, I can say that the secret exit (Heaven route) is easier, but without the read-me, the clue to figure it out is very vague. The Phrase "Greedy Mass Murder" does not get the point across. On a side note, the heaven route is speed-runnable, and I had to do it three times. (I had to try it, then record a .gif, then to show another judge how to do it.) So yeah, some find it hard, but still. Also, I do not know know anything about religion, but does "Purgatory" mean judgement, or cleansing. I was informed it means the place that souls are cleansed that will soon go to heaven. (No points taken off for that.) I do have to take off for how vague the secret star is though.

bossedit8 (7.75/10)

I do like the creepy concept going on in this level as of how the story and such goes but my issue apparently is that I can't get the second star... and so far I haven't be able to figure it out as of what to do in this whole level... I clearly miss something as of how to get to choose to the heavens instead of hell all the time but if I can't figure out by my own... I don't know. Even so I do like that level... short yet it's alright. I like how it's done throughout the level even though you can sorta break it's events after the door like you can move away from the door and then later on mess around with those NPCs that exists there.
Add-On: Ok, after reading more of this level's info and such I can see how to get to heavens now so that has been solved from my previous statements by getting the second star.

Linik (6.1/10)

Gee, I never thought there would be a sequel to that level. This one takes the premise of the original and makes it better, and the cutscenes were well-implemented. The level's main backbone is the usage of heaven, hell and purgatory, and the player has to fulfil certain conditions to go to heaven (that is, collecting no coins at all), otherwise they go to hell. Attempting the former is actually challenging, almost bordering on impossible, and it provides a new way to play the level, and the level shines in that aspect. The Toad at the start of the level was pretty random, but the biggest flaw was that there is too much emphasis on the backstory and cutscenes to the point where the level quality deteriorates; it's too short and could have seen some expansion of the heaven/hell areas. I can guess that time constraints were getting in the way, so if that's the case, then it's understandable. Also, this is a minor gripe, but you can't go to hell from purgatory.

PROX (5/10)

Oh no... not another exorcism level. In any case, this level is super disturbing. It really fits in with the scary atmosphere. The platforming on the spikes could use a bit of work since you can kill the platforms which keep you safe from the spikes. Another thing is that this level is pretty short. It kinda has the same issue as the last contest level you submitted. It was pretty fun, but a bit short. I did like the multiple endings though.
Places 4th-1st
4. Ink Rain by Camacho (6.56/10)

The Thwomp King (6.5/10)

Starting with solid visuals like usual and music from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl; a solid combo that creates quite the unsettling atmosphere. The theme was more simple with a more forest-esque theme with some old man-made areas implemented well. Your gameplay is nice with some good gimmicks thrown in there. The darkness section in particular is well done, but it’s very easy for people to get frustrated there, and there are a few things to buff out. I wasn’t a big fan of the bonus section either honestly. You were still pretty generous with the powerups and the checkpoint was pretty early in the level honestly. So overall it’s a fun level that has pretty good replay value. Good job toning down a little bit on the scenery too so it’s not over-decorated.

MECHDRAGON777 (8/10)

Okay, this level has some very unique things with the gimmicks. I do not like that the conveyors move, but that is becuase of the speed they throw you at. The way the darkness is used in the second and third sections was brilliant, and I can see this level making top 4. I wish it was not grey, hard to tell ice flowers are not fire flowers. At least the level was very fun, and entertaining. Why were the sizable moving?

bossedit8 (8/10)

This level was pretty cool. I like as of how you did with the different amount of obstacles you have here like enemies, moving blocks/pipes and elevators with stuff going on like spikes, boos and such. At the beginning there's a message box that goes out of bounds... no idea if that's intentional or not but no matter what it's always looks weird how it does that if you don't have any spaces onto them (Hint: You can't use ENTER in PGE even though you can do that to begin with but in SMBX it ignores the ENTER in it's entirely so you have to use SPACEBAR in order to fix it and have a new row inside the message box instead of appearing outside of it's own message box). I do like as of what you did with the darkness later on since in one section it gets darker and then you can't see anything until it brightens up again and then it repeats in the entire section... however later on as in when you enter the next section the darkness stays in the dark until you hit the face block that makes it immediatly bright again but you have to be fast in order to hit to the next one until it gets too dark to see anything. Once this happens, it's very difficult to hit the next switch of you didn't see one or didn't keep on track at it because as of how dark it is. At least you could make those face block have a little light at it so you won't get super lost and then it might takes a while in order to either hit the switch or die in this area... but even so, it's a neat gimmick I must say. At the bonus room, I'm a little concerned about it... but I'll let it slide. Overall, a pretty cool level.

Linik (6.3/10)

"EWW OVERDECORATED LEVEL TOO MUCH GIMMICK 0/10 CAMACHO SHOULD QUIT SMBX COMMYNITY"
Well, where to start with this one...it's got some good aesthetics, and the forest/factory hybrid combined with the grayscale and rain effects is pleasing to look at, and the level is pretty fun to play as well. Unfortunately, it’s still the same mistakes being repeated - powerups are given away too generously, for one thing. Others involve the checkpoint being placed too early in the level, a free star being given away for absolutely no reason while at the same time allowing the player to skip part of the level, and even though it's been toned down, there's still too many gimmicks to the point where a single one doesn't stand out - rising and falling platforms while dodging hazards, fading to darkness and light switches for each section respectively. The darkness was well-implemented, but the light switch idea wasn't so, especially considering you don't need it to complete the level if you just look hard at the screen. At least the atmosphere isn't so overworked this time around, and there appear to be signs of improvement over previous submissions.

PROX (4/10)

This level consisted of hitting switches to cause other things to happen and that crazy darkness gimmick which only seemed to hurt you level rather than help it. The structure of the level was ok, but I found the same things rehashed multiple times. The darkness gimmick is what really frustrated me. It's pretty annoying to deal with that and avoid enemies at once. This is basically Blackout Forest from Star Expedition's evil twin. You stated that entering the pipe causes the darkness gimmick to break. Although you mention that in your level, it still is pretty difficult to time right since the interval is pretty quick. The next area afterwards requires the player to hit switches before the darkness envelops the area. While this is a cool concept, the player has to constantly rush to another switch to make the darkness go away and they end up being more focused on that rather than avoiding everything else. Once you just so happen to mess up, it's very unforgiving because you have to play blind until you hit the switch. If the player is playing blind, how on earth is the player going to find the switch? This level had cool ideas, but they were executed horribly.

3. 2-7 by MECHDRAGON777 (7.26/10)

The Thwomp King (7/10)

Similar visuals as RhysOwen’s level. Nonetheless they’re pretty nice so I don’t blame you. The SMG Ghostly Galaxy music is nice to have here with the boo theme. You have relatively good NPC and coin placement, and I never felt overwhelmed. The orange pipe in the beginning of the level is obnoxious placement as you gotta make sure you stay on the fence without warping back into the dead end. There’s also a glitch in the second half where I was upside down and ran up a staircase that made me skip part of the level. Anyway the shortcut in the beginning was nice, and the level was pretty consistent overall with its theme and ideas. The biggest flaw I noticed is there wasn’t anything in particular that really made me love this level. It’s good in what it presents, but nothing that’s absolutely amazing. The level isn’t necessarily one I’d consider having spectacular replayability, but I had fun and it was pretty nicely made.

bossedit8 (7.75/10)

Well, for starters I see an intro screen like as of how it's done in SMB... and then you get to the level itself. The design as of how it goes and such were neat but I'd find some of the areas a bit small as in it's sometimes difficult as of how to dodge some of the NPCs especially Boos in a scenario like this. I do like the reversal gimmick that this level has once you're inside the mansion but apparently some switches don't act as of what they supposed to like there's one that doesn't work and there's another one that is always activated once hit. I do like these secrets that this level has but by trying to find some is surely a difficult cause like some of those dragon coin placements here. You have to do some tricky flying in order to get it. Well not like it's a bad thing it's just that not everyone will figure it out for the first time going through it and getting everything out of this level. Anyway, fences where you can climb on but there are certain areas where you can do some funny movements with slopes and such... but that's just there as of how SMBX works. I like as of what you did at the end even though that SMW star can be skipped when you're small but oh well. Overall, it's a nice level with upside down areas and such.

Linik (8.3/10)

And I still don't know what this level is called. But this one is actually really good, and features what could be the best way to handle a new, underused gimmick. What I'm referring to is the usage of antigravity, which is prominently featured throughout the level as a way to introduce the player to it. It is a bit unwieldy at times, especially at one point where one of the antigravity switches doesn't work, or another where just walking towards a switch will flip the gravity, but the level is still playable. Also of mention is the way that this is brought in with other ideas used, including the flipping spiked platforms. The level also has some good atmosphere, especially in the forest section which boasts good decoration, but in the ghost house it's overdone a bit too much, leading to cramped tunnels. I can tell that a lot of effort went into this level, and it appears to have paid off.

PROX (6/10)

Very creative name to your level :P. Anyway, I liked this level for its gimmick. Its nice to see the use of flip blocks to flip Mario onto the ceiling. I will say that this level kind of went all over the place at times and the areas were rather narrow. I also didn't care for the invisible noteblocks because they can easily propel you into a boo if the boo is beneath you. Playing upside-down was pretty disorienting, but it's not hard to get used to. The area with the fire flower in the first section can leave you trapped if you're not careful, and there's an area near a pipe in the first section that you can jump down and not find anything. I thought perhaps there was something down there, but there is really no point to it. There's really no reason for that to be there since you go in it just to get out anyway. There's no items, no necessary switches, or anything really. Overall, the level was pretty decent, but there is quite a bit of polishing to be done.

2. Abandoned Forest Shrine by Linik (7.45/10)

The Thwomp King (8/10)

Wow this is a beautiful level. Solid visuals with good eerie music for to add an unsettling feeling in the forest you trek through. The signs were executed well too. The only thing that felt missing in this setting was some fog. While the fog isn’t necessary, it’d enhance your atmosphere even more so than what you have now. I’d watch some of your graphics as there was a cutoff and a sizable that were a little off. NPC variety was pretty good with the big boo spawning event being a little sudden as I nearly jump into it every time. The boo and block combo was very creative too, but it could be easier to control as I couldn’t seem to get it to move up much. You never spammed NPCs, but some areas in the section with the checkpoint felt empty with no NPCs or any coins. The gameplay itself is smooth, with exception to the boo gimmick, but even then nothing ruined the level. The handful of tricks thrown in were a nice touch, and forcing the player to think a little bit is always nice in scenarios like the ones you made for this level. The star in particular was a highlight for me out of the tricks. Overall what’s presented is really nice, with a few scratches in there that can be fixed pretty easily.

MECHDRAGON777 (6.79/10)

Okay Castlewars, at first, I was planning on giving this level a 9,7/10 since I really did enjoy it at first. The level is quite long and it gets tedious at spots. Their are some bugs here and there, and you also insult the player for going the wrong way (Which is required). Good thing I was able to skip that area by glitching through an invisible block you left lying around in section 21. (I show why this is at the end of my playthrough of your level. You put both screen flashes in the same section. (21) and as a result, if you can glitch yourself to the warp without seeing, you can skip 1/4th of the level (and two dragon coins). All you need to do is jump over the door in section 1, then make sure you are facing left with your momentum at 0. when you wrap, you will glitched into the second chamber. (The one for going through the warp in sector 3 that insults you afterward.)) Also, the random pipe and wall of grass blocking the way is kind of random, and their is no way to know you are supposed to go back their afterward. (I think I had a felling) This is not being taken off for since it is like a ghost house though. Speaking of Ghosts, the friendly boo blocks get tedious very fast. Also, if you steer them into a block, Mario will die. Raising them can also be a bit of a pain. (Which is why Dragon Coin 3 and 5 were pain). In Sector 1, their was a random tree branch for some reason. I do not remember seeing it every time I played the level, but I did see it at least once. You also had a toad say

Code: Select all

"Stop looking through my level"
a phrase I can not repeat from Luigi, and a Toad that said

Code: Select all

"Get off of me!"
and I got to this secret world in the top right area of sector 2 not by cheating, and not by looking in the editor, but by glitching through the wall. (I explained how in the video). When I first started playing the level, it made me think of Kyo, Sezixor, and a few other CC winners. It had nice vibes, atmosphere, music, and everything.; it was just too long and tedious. I was starting to think the checkpoint was non-existent. Also, you can not have two stars in the same section. At the end of the level, you play a weird sound effect for collecting all five dragon coins, and put the star right next to the main exit star. It does not count when you do this. Also, I wonder why out of all the insta warps, that you made the first one a pipe... if I was on the far left, I think I would have died. (Upon trying it latter, I just get to a warp pipe that cause Mario to cut off.) I had fun doing seven times in the level though. ^_^ Here are a few .gifs of what I am talking about.

bossedit8 (8/10)

A fun scary level! This level takes place in a forest with clouds and castle tiles. How it's done is surely a surprise, there are places where it surprises you with ghosts, tiles that are disappearing and reappearing if you approach certain areas and warping somewhere... surely neat for a spooky atmosphere. I do like the level design as it kept on it's toes with platforms and other stuff like water and ghost-platform attaching areas and such but surely there are some flaws encountered while playing... and that is once you approach the area where you usually can't hit the switch and appear back to the previous section where you have to go back to go forward to advance, you can go back to the section to "try" again to approach it but there's no ghost-platform attacher anymore and worse, you can't go back to the previous section anymore which means you have to suicide (or quit) and have to restart the entire level again. I love how there's a indication as of where a invisible block is and then later on you realize it's just a coin block and I was like "Welp, that's definitely spooky!". Fun times! Eitherway, moving on to a thing that I discovered that apparently ingame a sizeable was cutting off to the right at the vertical section going up but in the editor it's all fine... it's surely weird but I'll let that slide for now. I like those "fake" stars in the level... it's like you think the level is over but nope, ya don't get the end because spook!!! I love the sound effects you used in this level like when something happens you hear a SM64 boo sound... I definitely love that touch even though it's slightly louder than the game itself but oh well. Overall, a fun level to play!

PROX (7/10)

This is a pretty solid level. I see that you used that boo gimmick again lol. In any case, this level was great as far as atmosphere. The area was pretty dark and there were many surprises throughout the level. I do think that the big boo appearing in thin air at the beginning was hurting this level due to the possibility of an unfair hit(which actually happened when I played it.) The level's structure and gameplay went pretty well in terms of design and functionality; however, the boo gimmick needs work. I can see where you are going with it, but it was a real pain to deal with when I was trying to make the platform go up. The boo kinda did what it wanted and rarely cooperated. There were times where I would jump and it would still go down. There was one time where the platform went too far down and I died. It's an interesting gimmick, but it needs to be polished. Maybe if the boo was placed lower while still being above the platform, then it would work a little better. Another thing I didn't care for is that one jump where a platform rises underneath you. One reason is that there is no indication of it appearing in the first place, so the player can be misled into turning back. Leaps of faith are relatively discouraged when making a level. Also if you keep running, you can hit the piranha plant without jumping into it as well. Finally I think this level could have been a couple sections shorter. It was a bit too lengthy. Aside from that, this level was pretty well done.

1. Shrine of Dolls by RPG_MagicianBot (8.1/10)

The Thwomp King (7/10)

The visuals do this level justice with the lotz music to create a very unsettling atmosphere. While the darkness adds to the uneasiness, there needs to be some brightness added so the player isn’t cringing their eyes trying navigate through the level properly. Some NPCs could be mistaken for the background too like the hung men bgos and the thwomp npcs looking nearly identical to each other. The NPC and coin placement was pretty consistent, but make sure your custom coin NPC applies to all coin NPCs. The boss was a lot spammy too with NPCs, but other that NPCs were fine. The level itself plays well, and I enjoyed trekking through it. It’s a dark theme for the level, and you use what you had to make something pretty memorable and fun.

MECHDRAGON777 (9.1/10)

This level is just to creepy and I hope playing this level an hour after midnight does not give me nightmares. This level talks about a lot of stuff I hate, and downright despise, and the replication of a gimmick used by GluigiX back in Tower of Biased 7 is also kinda scary for me on a personal note. It resolves around suicide, people who hung themselves, and all sorts of other demonic stuff. I would not like to be mario in that situation. The boss was great as well, even for a spam filled rinka fight. The effects on the coins were however glitched, and the blarg seemed a bit out of place. The last hint means nothing to me, and so was that single white tag I got in the level. Kinda Creepy. I may not understand the lore of this due to me hating horror based stuff, but the level is good at least. I can see this level winning the contest, even though I would hope it would not. (Too creepy) So far, best level I played. Also, the talkative NPCs were parasites, right?

bossedit8 (9/10)

One dark place to live in! I absolutely love the atmosphere that this level has and everything from enemies to tileset is amazing as of how it's played! I like how everything looks different from the tileset to the actual special blocks like it's an completly different game (except for the player's sprite) and I like that. There were some issues though like that Venus Fire Plant's hitbox, if you stand next to the vase where that NPC is even if it's inside it you get hurt. I do like those hints that this level give it to us like "Danger below!" for example. The secret star, it's not all too easy as of what you think... you need to reenter a door where you came from first... not always easy to catch that. The key hunting area was nice as of how it's done and enemy placements and such were alright. The boss was a bit spammy though but least that boss has only 3 hits then it's defeated and you get the star that ends the level. Overall, a very good spooky level and I absolutely like as of how it's done!

Linik (7.9/10)

Nothing is scarier indeed! This is one of those rare levels where the blank background is actually put to good use. Everything in the level, from the creepy eyes in the background to the changes to sections as the player backtracks, was designed solely to make the level scary, and I even got a little unsettled playing this, which suggests the level's scare factor was done well. I was a bit disappointed not to get any jumpscares or anything though, but the level was still quite fun to play. Ideas were very diverse, ranging from key-hunting to operating a Propeller Block with light attached to it, and while the latter is a good gimmick, it's poorly executed. Yes, I understand that it's explained in the readme file, but you still continue to use it regardless, and even providing ways to cause these issues. A good way of implementing broken gimmicks is to build the entire section around the flaw so it doesn't happen. As for the boss fight, it's impressively set up. There are some creative attacks used, and nicely executed as well. Unfortunately, it was a little irritating that you were only given one mushroom to last it, and at the same time the player is dodging a hail of Rinkas and fireballs. Fortunately it doesn't drag on for too long, but it's a shame the same can't be said for the level preceding it.

PROX (7.5/10)

Really spooky atmosphere. It was very unsettling to say the least. The overall structure of this level was pretty strong. It was not repetitive, it kept the player engaged with numerous twists and turns. I thought the enemies were pretty cleverly done as well. It's nice to see some Zelda 2 enemies for a change since they are hardly ever used. The faces that moved toward you had to be the creepiest part for me personally. As someone who has played numerous horror games in the past, I'm pretty used to it. This level has its strong points; however, I didn't really care for the length of this level. It was pretty long and kinda dragged out imo. Especially once you get to the boss. This level would definitely benefit if another checkpoint was used since it's possible to do that now. Either that, or just place the checkpoint next to the boss, and make the level somewhat shorter. Another problem I faced was the fact that some enemies were pretty hard to see such as the venus fire traps. They blended in very well which made it pretty difficult to see coming. The fast boos were a bit of a pain to deal with as well, but it wasn't all that bad. Overall, this level is pretty well done. Good job!
Last edited by The Thwomp King on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

This guy supports any project on smbx, but here are the banners I have:

ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
[/center]

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Re: Haunted Contest 2 (Deadline October 21st)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Holy crap a sequel, who?
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:52 am

Sign Me Up.

RPG_Magician
Pokey
Pokey

Postby RPG_Magician » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:03 am

I'm interested in this contest.

I'd like to ask, is there some form of penalty for not being able to submit a level in time?
Image Image

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:14 am

I've actually started to scare up a level for this, so put me in.
RPG_MagicianBot wrote:I'm interested in this contest.

I'd like to ask, is there some form of penalty for not being able to submit a level in time?
Yeah, you lose points.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

RPG_Magician
Pokey
Pokey

Postby RPG_Magician » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:26 am

Linik wrote:I've actually started to scare up a level for this, so put me in.
RPG_MagicianBot wrote:I'm interested in this contest.

Yeah, you lose points.
Sorry I wasn't clear with my wording. I was suppose to say if there was a penalty if the level wasn't submitted at all.

Also I'd like to sign up for this contest.
Image Image

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:45 am

I want to be a backup judge. :)

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:49 am

I am so doing this

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:01 am

Sign me up. Maybe perhaps I'll break the never-ending late-submission cycle and submit a level before the deadline.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:13 am

Yeah, I love the name Dr. Briney. But The Thwomp King, can you change it to Mr Briney?

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:45 am

I've got plenty of ideas for this one :P and very disturbing music >.<
Last edited by PROX on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

My Project (No logo yet): viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18321&start=20

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:01 am

Who is all ready for this Vampire to bite on All Hallows Eve!?
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:44 am

The Thwomp King wrote: The Backup Judge
Mr. Briney
Yey! Thanks!

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: stuff in rpg maker and arc 1 of mario videos

Postby mariofan 64 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:46 pm

PGE, are allowed
so the lvlx format can be sent in and it counts? if it is, i'm gonna be in :)
I has youtube now...with some activity :D

Projects: Infinite Mario Bros. For PGE (On the PGE Website, of course) (temp hiatus for other projects, see second link in spoiler for details)
----------RPG games, not related to Mario at all :/
----------A ???? game made in Gamemaker.

Completed: Schedules, Plans, Pages, And Other Things

Processing...Processing...Completed. See message below:
Mario Infinity: Quest to Stabilize the World (WIP)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=568
FACEBOOKS:
https://www.facebook.com/EBTKSPaddy
MAI PATREON:
https://www.patreon.com/ebtkspaddy
MAH FRIEND'S YOUTUBES WHERE ME AND MAH FRIEND'S ARE AT:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRoSEH ... rVJdozjwUA

Omnion
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Omnion » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:47 pm

okay I'm in

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Daily life of Alagirez
Current Project: Questioning my life
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:26 pm

Hm......
Idk if i will submit but im in ;)

A former SMBX level designner
If you want to to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056
Also a furry

YT Channel |MxW2 for those who wants it
My osu! Profile | My twitter

Awooo!

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:06 am

I'm in as well. I have plenty of time to prepare for this one.
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

My Project (No logo yet): viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18321&start=20

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:17 am

I have been working on my level to a degree in the last hour. Mainly so I can focus on MaGLIII and DarkMatt's Vanilla contest. I also have something planned for All Hallows Eve, so yeah. Not only is my birthday in October, but I also have to go to a birthday party on 31/10/16. (Birthday of my now 1 year old Black Cat.) Anyway, Good luck to the participants. I have to requests for TTK about my level. I can see PROXYHAX O.O coming in top 3 as always, but I am sure I can put up a good fight. Also, Here is a lit of things I have planned for October that makes me have to finish this level soon:

Structure Contest Judging
MaGLIII
DarkMatts Vanilla Contest (48 hours to make a level)
Own Birthday
Judging this contest
My Cat (シャドー)'s birthday
All Hallows Eve

So yeah, I am a little busy in October. Also, the second the November Contest drops, I may need to spend more time on it. Good luck everyone.
ImageImageImage

My hardest level beaten!

Support

•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

RPG_Magician
Pokey
Pokey

Postby RPG_Magician » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:05 am

What's the level length limit? Is there one?
Image Image

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:11 am

RPG_MagicianBot wrote:What's the level length limit? Is there one?
The level has to be equal to or less than 16384 blocks. (The basic SMBX limits.)
ImageImageImage

My hardest level beaten!

Support