A few questions

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
AtomicChocolate
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Current Project: idk man

A few questions

Postby AtomicChocolate » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 am

First of all, I'm kind of restarting because I haven't played this for months.

1. Why do I have an enemy below my profile picture?

2. What should I use? 1.3.0.1, 1.4.3, or the 2.0 beta?

3. Are there a lot of friendly people here?

4. (opinion question) What do you think is the best, SMBX levels, SMWC levels(rom hacks and such), or Super Mario Maker?

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: A few questions

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:28 am

AtomicChocolate wrote:First of all, I'm kind of restarting because I haven't played this for months.

1. Why do I have an enemy below my profile picture?

2. What should I use? 1.3.0.1, 1.4.3, or the 2.0 beta?

3. Are there a lot of friendly people here?

4. (opinion question) What do you think is the best, SMBX levels, SMWC levels(rom hacks and such), or Super Mario Maker?
1. The enemy represents your rank, and this changes as you make more posts in the forum.

2. As of now, SMBX 1.4.x isn't supported. Personally I would first start off with 1.3.0.1, and when you've built up SMBX knowledge, go for the 2.0 beta.

3. Yes! I'm one of them!

4. I don't mind, I like them all. That depends on how well they are designed though.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:38 pm

2. Use 2.0. It has some great stuff that'll be really easy to use in the next update and it'd be better to get used to PGE

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:59 pm

AtomicChocolate wrote:What should I use? 1.3.0.1, 1.4.3, or the 2.0 beta?
Use the version your liking. If you want know more the differences between these versions, go here:
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1101

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Lx Xzit wrote:
AtomicChocolate wrote:What should I use? 1.3.0.1, 1.4.3, or the 2.0 beta?
Use the version your liking. If you want know more the differences between these versions, go here:
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1101
There are some inaccuracies in that post, but it does give a general idea (such as 2.0 being partially closed source - this is not true, the only part that is closed source is the original SMBX engine, and the same is true of the LunaLua patch)

Personally, I would say go for either 1.4 or 2.0, both are one-package installations, and will give you everything you need (especially since a new beta for 2.0 is coming out very soon...)

Keep in mind that 2.0 supports 99.999% of SMXB 1.3 levels (so far only one unsupported level is known, and that's because it uses several GB of animated gifs for a cutscene, so some people can't even run it in 1.3 either), while 1.4.3 has no such guarantee due to using different physics and game mechanics.

As it is, 2.0 is strictly additions and improvements on top of 1.3, so there is no reason not to go for that if you're looking for SMBX, since you lose out on nothing but gain a lot compared to 1.3. As for 1.4, it's a game engine built from the ground up, and is fine as that, but keep in mind that it is a different entity to SMBX as made by redigit.

TL;DR The main competing versions are 1.4 and 2.0. 2.0 is an extension and continuation of the original SMBX, while 1.4 is a custom recreation that adds more things. It's up to you which you prefer.

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:28 am

WohIstand wrote that part of the post, for my oart, I was unsure if it was completely open source or not. Thanks for clarifying. I will update the post when the beta 3 of SMBX 2.0 be available and I will clarify some other things.

AtomicChocolate
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby AtomicChocolate » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Why are there power up icons by my post, such as shell, mushroom, or ice flower?

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:23 am

AtomicChocolate wrote:Why are there power up icons by my post, such as shell, mushroom, or ice flower?
Blue P Switches means Announcements while Silver P Switches means Announcements has unread posts.
Green Shell means that the thread is stickied while red shell is the same thing but with unread posts.
Green 1UP Mushrooms are regular topics while the red Mushrooms are topics with unread posts.
Fire Flowers are topics that are popular while Ice Flowers are the same but with unread posts.

AtomicChocolate
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby AtomicChocolate » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:48 pm

thanks!

Return to “General”