SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
The0x539
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: SMBX2

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby The0x539 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Taycamgame wrote:So guys, I'm thinking of getting back into SMBX 2.0, I still have levels i made before i deleted the engine off my pc. Will they still work if i redownload the game? Also, would I be able to transfer these B3 levels over to B4?

I'm confused as to why you'd think any of that wouldn't work.
quotes: show
rockythechao wrote:so much evil genius is wasted on the free-to-play game industry these days
come on, activision execs, when are you guys going to get yourselves real villain jobs? buy yourselves a volcano lair with lava sharks or something
Like, just ask yourselves this: What Would Sauron Do?
TheKidCodee wrote:Yes. And i know what system 32 is. What java is, htmi.
Hoeloe wrote:I've designed better languages in my sleep
Wohlstand wrote:please, enable your brain
Enjl wrote:that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote:aero you should eat some french friends
Ryaa wrote:I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:So guys, I'm thinking of getting back into SMBX 2.0, I still have levels i made before i deleted the engine off my pc. Will they still work if i redownload the game? Also, would I be able to transfer these B3 levels over to B4?

I'm confused as to why you'd think any of that wouldn't work.

It's a pretty common thought process for people to assume that something won't work anymore if it's changed somehow, or used with something different. It's not based on anything substantial, but it's more of a reactive thought, anyway.

To answer your question, Beta 3 levels should work anywhere as long as you have all the files (graphics and lua files, not just level files). And yes, Beta 3 levels can most certainly be transferred to Beta 4.
(formerly Jayoshi, Luigi, Luigi.net)

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: Mushroom Kingdom Massacre
Chat Username: Electriking

Postby Electriking » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 pm

I have missed SMBX, it's so amazing to use. BTW, is it a game or a developing tool?

So do you think you can do a better job of hiding 2.0 from your shitty parents this time? Or have they caught on that it does not cause any problems?
Levels will still work and B4 will have backwards compatibility with all previous non 38A versions (which are worse than 2.0 and not even SMBX anyway).
And SMBX is both.
This is some serious shit! The FCC have voted to repeal NET neutrality, but you can still help state a disapproval if you are American:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.battleforthenet.com][img]https://www.battleforthenet.com/images/banner/728x80.png[/img][/url]

Edit signature
YOUR SIGNATURE WILL APPEAR LIKE THIS IN POSTS
Join my Discord server here (assuming the FCC twats decide to let it continue to live, of course): https://discord.gg/3S64gwq
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.

Literally me when I read that post lol

The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?

WARNING: Quill is in here: show

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 999 character limit.

Taycamgame
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure. It will be an episode that feels similar to original Mario games.
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Electriking wrote:
I have missed SMBX, it's so amazing to use. BTW, is it a game or a developing tool?

So do you think you can do a better job of hiding 2.0 from your shitty parents this time? Or have they caught on that it does not cause any problems?
Levels will still work and B4 will have backwards compatibility with all previous non 38A versions (which are worse than 2.0 and not even SMBX anyway).
And SMBX is both.

Nah now they will let me download things aslong as I can prove they have an educational side to them.
Check out my Episode:
Check out the projects i support:

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Electriking » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Electriking wrote:

And SMBX is both.

Nah now they will let me download things aslong as I can prove they have an educational side to them.

So since SMBX has LunaLua, that would mean that it can help woth programming. Would work best if you use Lua at school of course, but at least there is something to defend the fact you have SMBX.
This is some serious shit! The FCC have voted to repeal NET neutrality, but you can still help state a disapproval if you are American:

[url=https://www.battleforthenet.com][img]https://www.battleforthenet.com/images/banner/728x80.png[/img][/url]

Edit signature
Join my Discord server here (assuming the FCC twats decide to let it continue to live, of course): https://discord.gg/3S64gwq
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

The0x539 wrote:

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 999 character limit.

MarioLuigiNabbitTrio
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Super Mario and the Gem Story
Chat Username: MarioLuigiNabbitTrio

Postby MarioLuigiNabbitTrio » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Can't wait for beta 4! The game is really good I usually use it more than 1.3 actually!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Maker are the best Mario games!

I need help with having a playable Nabbit with invincibility to all but lava, pits, poison, and being crushed!
    A playable Pauline with a throw able hat to attack enemies!
    A playable Geno who can have good jumping and speed!
    A playable Birdo who would shoot eggs!
    A playable Daisy Who would have a double jump!
    And a playable Kirby With Inhaling and flying abilities!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Taycamgame
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure. It will be an episode that feels similar to original Mario games.

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am

Finally have SMBX2 B3 back! Now a question: Are episodes usually more popular if they include custom graphics and physics etc.? I'm currently making an episode, but don't plan on using custom stuff.
Check out my Episode:

The0x539
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby The0x539 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am

Taycamgame wrote:Finally have SMBX2 B3 back! Now a question: Are episodes usually more popular if they include custom graphics and physics etc.? I'm currently making an episode, but don't plan on using custom stuff.

episodes are improved by novelty of any sort but should also be fundamentally good
rockythechao wrote:so much evil genius is wasted on the free-to-play game industry these days
come on, activision execs, when are you guys going to get yourselves real villain jobs? buy yourselves a volcano lair with lava sharks or something
Enjl wrote:that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote:I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Electriking » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 am

Taycamgame wrote:Finally have SMBX2 B3 back! Now a question: Are episodes usually more popular if they include custom graphics and physics etc.? I'm currently making an episode, but don't plan on using custom stuff.

Don't know. Custom Graphics =/= Better episode though, although the use of custom GFX can be the key to a wider variety of design choices and give inspiration etc.

Edit signature
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

The0x539 wrote:

Taycamgame
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:53 am

I have the first world of my new project done, where can i send it for people to test and give feedback? What was that file sharing site again?
EDIT: It's mediafile. And here is the download for my first world, tell me what you think:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/2qddgb ... riokingdom
EDIT 2: How do you make paths appear on the map only when you come out of a pipe? (That is a warp, not a level)
Check out my Episode:

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Electriking » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Taycamgame wrote:I have the first world of my new project done, where can i send it for people to test and give feedback? What was that file sharing site again?
EDIT: It's mediafile. And here is the download for my first world, tell me what you think:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/2qddgb ... riokingdom
EDIT 2: How do you make paths appear on the map only when you come out of a pipe? (That is a warp, not a level)

You should probably post your project (remember to include screenshots) in the projects forum, not this thread.
Also you probably should avoid using mediafire as it is not as good as other download sites like Dropbox, MEGA or Google Drive.
Also please don't upload your projects as folders. No one will play them becasue all the assets have to be downloaded separately 1 at a time, and no sane person will be willing to do that. Put episodes in a .zip, .7z or .rar file first.
And you will need to set a position where you warp to (should be another level tile, which should also warp you back).

Edit signature
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

The0x539 wrote:

Taycamgame
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm

I only put it in a folder as it was a very small download anyway. But how would i make paths appear only when you exit a pipe that is linked to them? Example: L-----P Where L is a level, - is a path and P is a pipe, how do i make the paths appear only if the pipe is used? And not the other way around.
Check out my Episode:

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Electriking » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Set the exit in the path direction from the level to the pipe to none

Edit signature
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

The0x539 wrote:

Taycamgame
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Ok, the pipe works, but... Why does the SMW Lakitu create loads of clones of itself rather than spinies? The SMB3 Lakitu works just fine. It created alot of lag.
Check out my Episode:

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Electriking » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Taycamgame wrote:Ok, the pipe works, but... Why does the SMW Lakitu create loads of clones of itself rather than spinies? The SMB3 Lakitu works just fine. It created alot of lag.

Don't use the' lakitus are throwing lakitus' lakitu

Edit signature
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:

The0x539 wrote:

The0x539
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby The0x539 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Taycamgame wrote:Ok, the pipe works, but... Why does the SMW Lakitu create loads of clones of itself rather than spinies? The SMB3 Lakitu works just fine. It created alot of lag.

because you didn't specify what the lakitu should throw, and redigit has, if nothing else, a sense of humor, so it defaults to throwing more of itself

Teemster2
Rex
Rex

Postby Teemster2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:58 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Westretroman wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
If I'm not wrong dummy blocks doesn't work with the 2.0

Actually, Dummy Blocks DO work with 2.0, he means animated ones like Hammer Brothers, animated dummy blocks don't work.

That may not alwaya be the case. SMBX2 uses dummy slots for new behaviours, so even if they aren't being used now, they might be in future versions. However, from beta 4 we're starting to add "free" slots to these, so people have dummy objects they can guarantee won't be taken over by new behaviour.

As others have said it has to be the dummy slots. My hand trap level is animated and works fine but it is on a vanilla slot. So I guess I will have to remove any levels down the road that cause issues since B4 looks to replace the dummy slots with more level icons. Am I correct? It would be nice to have a bigger variety of level icons for 2.0.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

I am curious about what will happen to levels and world maps that already use the dummy blocks/tiles. Nothing has been said on world map's tiles/paths/levels excetera.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show

Fusion best time

Spoiler: show

List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Taycamgame
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Taycamgame » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 am

What are these "Dummy Blocks" etc.? I'd assume they are for custom graphics - what program should i use to make custom graphics?
Check out my Episode:

Hoeloe
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:14 am

Taycamgame wrote:What are these "Dummy Blocks" etc.? I'd assume they are for custom graphics - what program should i use to make custom graphics?

That's literally what we've just been discussing. No, dummy blocks are NOT for custom graphics. SMBX has a fixed number of "slots" for every object, but doesn't actually use all of them. "Dummy" slots are just object slots that aren't currently being used, but SMBX2 uses these slots when adding new content. If you use them for custom graphics, it's possible that your level or world map will break in future versions of SMBX, since it might get behaviour added that you weren't expecting.

Return to “General”