SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
not rockythechao
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: A2XT2 and a few others

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby not rockythechao » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm

The thing with the Mystic Cave Zone tileset is that Horikawa gave Fire the okay and the other devs who were around at the time were mostly indifferent. After discussing it later the general consensus ended up being that even if the MCZ background is in the game, finishing incomplete tilesets and adding remaining ones from All-Stars, SMW, Super Metroid and/or Zelda 2 should take priority for any new aesthetic blocks we add. There's not much agreement on where exactly the line should be drawn, though.

Now with all of that said, from what I remember they're not bad tiles by any means. They'd make for a rad CGFX pack along with the other Sonic tilesets he's done.

And yeah, triangle blocks would mean implementing the ability to run up walls and that's a whole other can of worms. I'm sure it can be done and folks are welcome to try making it in their own episodes and levels, but as a rule of thumb don't expect anything that would require expanding the original 5 characters' animations or movesets, or otherwise break backwards compatibility with stuff made in 1.3, to be added as a built-in basegame feature in SMBX2. As plugins or tweak libraries, maybe, but not as part of the standard assets.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
Spoiler: show
Spinda wrote:gdi rocky
Waddle Derp wrote:rocky what the fuck
rockythechao wrote:gfdi me
Bread wrote:rocky
what did you do
ROCKY
Enjl wrote:you're walking a rocky road
Quantix wrote:jesus christ rocky
rockythechao wrote:the sin is indeed mine

TheTrueMarioMaster
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Chat Username: TheTrueMarioMaster

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 pm

That's a shame although as long as mods come with the episode and don't have to be separately installed like Lunalua to SMBX 1.3.0.1 then I find it okay. Speaking of adding onto stuff after the main Mario NPCs are added will any more Zelda II and/or Super Metroid npcs be added since currently it looks like no one is really interested in making them?
Other places to find me at.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

not rockythechao
Blooper
Blooper

Postby not rockythechao » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Mechdragon's shown interest in making Super Metroid ones after Samus gets redone, but the playable overhauls are going to be in Beta 5. I recall there being some some talk about adding more Zelda 2 NPCs in codehaus recently, but idk if anything came about from that.
Some people just cannot avoid the ads on MediaFire, even with both common sense and popup blockers. It's always a good idea to provide an alternate download link with an ad-free file host such as Dropbox or Google Drive.

I do music, graphics, lua, birthdays, bachelor parties, bar mitzvahs, long walks on the beach, driving through the scenic countryside with my fabulous mutlicolored mustache flowing in the wind, living life on the edge and not playing by the rules, awkwardly standing in the corner of the room with my GBC during important company meetings, all my own stunts and baking cookies with criminally-high quantities of butter
what did you do
ROCKY

TheTrueMarioMaster
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 pm

not rockythechao wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:37 pm
Mechdragon's shown interest in making Super Metroid ones after Samus gets redone, but the playable overhauls are going to be in Beta 5. I recall there being some some talk about adding more Zelda 2 NPCs in codehaus recently, but idk if anything came about from that.
I see, it would be great to play a Link episode that feels like Zelda II: The Adventure of Link without all the immersion breaking things Zelda II inspired levels usually have. Also with all the new characters it's going to be great seeing some levels/episodes based around them rather than them be based around the main four Mario characters (Link based levels are quite rare with Link based episodes being extremely rare).
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Snowy_Desert
Rex
Rex
Current Project: Soon... Probably
Chat Username: This is a mystery.

Postby Snowy_Desert » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Will there be like a block that lets any player (character) go through but not the NPCs?
Oh hello there, here is just another regular signature with supporting projects and etc.
I love Litten, how about you?
Projects that i'm supporting.

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm

TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:05 pm
PixelPest wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm
Speaking of blocks is anyone working on the Triangle Blocks from SMW (preferably make them like the superior version in SMA4). Can't seem to find them on the list although the list is huge and word find doesn't work very well on a spreadsheet document. Of course they might also go under a different name which I am not aware of.
Probably don't have the capability of effectively managing them for basegame atm, though I could be wrong
So much for the complete Super Mario World experience in the future. Though it looks like when Beta 4 is finished most of the ghost house stuff will be added looking at the list except for fishing boos and eeries that move in a wave pattern. Wonder how easily one can code eeries to move in a wave pattern if they aren't available in beta 4?

This was done entirely in the editor.

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Murphmario » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Couldn't you just find some way to rotate whatever graphics the player has for triangle blocks? Unless that isn't possible right now.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Something is coming on Christmas...

PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 pm
Couldn't you just find some way to rotate whatever graphics the player has for triangle blocks? Unless that isn't possible right now.
Rotate graphics + hitboxes + some physics I assume

not rockythechao
Blooper
Blooper

Postby not rockythechao » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Now that I think about it, we probably could just implement triangle block as a block that works as a slope when a regular character is on it and a spring when riding a mount. The wallrunning should still be done as a tweak library or plugin, though.

The rotated graphics would require either redrawing the characters or extending their spritesheets, both of which are messy for different reasons. I can also see the hitbox being a headache to implement in a basegame-friendly way -- aiui the player's hitbox isn't something we can rotate, it'd have to be resized on the fly.

what did you do
ROCKY

TheTrueMarioMaster
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:35 pm

The0x539 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm
PixelPest wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Probably don't have the capability of effectively managing them for basegame atm, though I could be wrong
So much for the complete Super Mario World experience in the future. Though it looks like when Beta 4 is finished most of the ghost house stuff will be added looking at the list except for fishing boos and eeries that move in a wave pattern. Wonder how easily one can code eeries to move in a wave pattern if they aren't available in beta 4?

Second eerie is the most natural moving one of the wave variety. If it's possible in the editor without lunalua I don't recall seeing or playing any levels that had non-straight flying eeries.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 am

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:35 pm
The0x539 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Second eerie is the most natural moving one of the wave variety. If it's possible in the editor without lunalua I don't recall seeing or playing any levels that had non-straight flying eeries.
I made it possible for B4. Second eerie is a sine wave, the others are just to demonstrate that you can express pretty much any shape. Eeries use the same code as Grafs, but only for the y-axis.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am

So eeries are customizable in the same way boo circles since I remember their being a level in beta 3 that had various kinds of boo circles in it.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Grand Goomba
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Chat Username: Guardian

Postby Grand Goomba » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:26 pm

May I ask when the next SMBX2 Dev Blog is coming up?

MrVaderSpino
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Spino's Journey 1.4.4(38A) Progress is 15.25% before post a Forum.
Chat Username: KingBillSeeker666

Postby MrVaderSpino » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 pm

I Want to Something about the Next SMBX2 Dev Blog?
Making Custom Levels Already Soon...
I Waiting in SMBX2 beta 4..
i am Currently Participating In Other Projects
My Quotes In SMBX.
GforGoomba wrote:Are you sure removing slopes is cool?
Meepyglobix wrote: DON'T SAY "Banned My Acount??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
iphtechnologies wrote:NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2.7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
Neo Super Mario World X is Expensively in largest File is 2.7GB? Are your cannot Download they because Expensive Stored in Too Many Files?
Does Having Wasting Time...

TheTrueMarioMaster
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm just content with a youtube video or two showing off some new features.
PureZC
MarioFanGameGalaxy

Grand Goomba
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Chat Username: Guardian

Postby Grand Goomba » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Next SMBX2 Dev Blog please?

Electriking
Wart
Wart
Current Project: Mushroom Kingdom Massacre, and perhaps some other thing
Chat Username: Electriking

Postby Electriking » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Grand Goomba wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 pm
Next SMBX2 Dev Blog please?
When it is ready
Join my Discord server
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Horikawa Otane wrote:lol
thehelmetguy1 wrote:I wonder who was the idiot that made the fake beta 4 announcement
Enjl wrote:Apologies for knowing how to research.
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.
Literally me when I read that post lol
The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?
WARNING: Quill is in here: show

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:29 pm

I do wish we could have regular blog updates, but I'm not in charge of that. We haven't had any recently as there hasn't been too much of note - just a few NPCs being added. In addition, Enjl is taking a break from developing and naturally hasn't written a post because of this.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

Teemster2
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Teemster2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 am

HenryRichard wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:29 pm
I do wish we could have regular blog updates, but I'm not in charge of that. We haven't had any recently as there hasn't been too much of note - just a few NPCs being added. In addition, Enjl is taking a break from developing and naturally hasn't written a post because of this.
Everyone deserves a break once in awhile and we have been hard on the dev team so it's understandable. Not sure what there is to blog about anyways. We have a ton of new blocks, some new backgrounds including an ice background to go with our new ice blocks and of course some new NPC's and "Minus" seems to be on a "Bro" craze as he has several new ones being created for the game. Also if some people did not notice Henry has several Mega man 2 NPC's being created. Not much else to really talk about.

Patience is a virtue at the moment. I was adding up all of the new npc's we have plus the ones you can download from Graphic packs and it's a pretty impressive number. I am very happy with where things are going right now.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:21 am

Even if I hadn't left the team I would've still not made a blog post due to the fact that all content added by the vast majority of the team right now is completely insignificant to Beta 4's release.
So even though I'm not gonna return to development anytime soon I'll have my 2 cents to add on the matter:

What I encourage the team to do is to check out the todo list and grab a task without a claim or with a claim set for "everyone" and to chip away at it. Some of these are so easy and quick to do I'm inclined to say that people who can't even pick up these simple task by their own judgement should just be knocked off the team.

Additionally what I would do if I were "The Team" is that I would add a feature lock for blocks, bgos, bgs and npcs right now so that the team has to take care of the bugs that do exist instead of adding countless more while delaying the release.

Once the team has taken care of the following points on the todo list, I will make a new blog post:
- bettereffects old ids support - requires a few hours of work to get rid of the "use no ai" and "research"-marked ids on the effects sheet. This might come in handy for that: https://cdn.rawgit.com/Bluenaxela/7e28c ... effect.svg
- move particles inis to the config folder (while taking care of the resolveFile oddities to ensure compatibility)
- Add effects for all pipelined npcs (self-explanatory)
- support for gfxoffset and foreground for npcs with custom rendering
- Ensure new NPCs work properly with grab/throw flags (klonoa)
- Make sure klonoa's throwable tables are up to date
- Remove PGE junk from the character hitbox inis

Technically, rocky, horikawa or hoeloe could make a new blog post at any time. And if they feel like they have something worth showcasing, it's their call if they want to do so. However I think that the points I mentioned above are long overdue for being done and aren't gonna solve themselves, so I think locking the next blog post behind them is a good call in order to both get the team to do something as well as delivering news to the community once that happened.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Return to “General”