SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Natsu
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Kuma-san

Re: SMBX2 (2.0 Beta 3)

Postby Natsu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:25 am

1AmPlayer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 pm
Even if we still be able to gain communication with Redigit now, would he still have the SMBX source code? I mean, it was a long time ago.

The answer is most likely no. I seriously doubt he would have it, even if it hasn't been a long time since he abandoned the project long ago and went on to do other things on his own. Keeping the key of what in his mind might as well have been a sinking ship would have no meaning to him.
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

Murphmario
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Murphmario » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 am

Wasn't the issues with releasing the source code discussed with Redigit himself one time?
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Something is coming on Christmas...

Hoeloe
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am

Even if Redigit turned up and offerred the source code (which is extremely unlikely considering how long it's been, his distain for SMBX, and his past trollish behaviour), it wouldn't gain us anything significant at this point. What it would do is lose us a lot of compatibility, since rebuilding the game from scratch would alter the memory footprint of the program, effectively breaking a lot of LunaLua, and requiring that to be reconstructed. And even if we did that, certain episodes would still break.

It's not worth it, in short.

vitzie629
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: I have greatly made levels!
Chat Username: vitzie629

Postby vitzie629 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am
Even if Redigit turned up and offerred the source code (which is extremely unlikely considering how long it's been, his distain for SMBX, and his past trollish behaviour), it wouldn't gain us anything significant at this point. What it would do is lose us a lot of compatibility, since rebuilding the game from scratch would alter the memory footprint of the program, effectively breaking a lot of LunaLua, and requiring that to be reconstructed. And even if we did that, certain episodes would still break.

You will just leave LunaLua installed for beta 4 and NOT rebuild the SMBX2 engine in order to avoid delaying beta 4's release, right?

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:25 pm

vitzie629 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Hoeloe wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am

You will just leave LunaLua installed for beta 4 and NOT rebuild the SMBX2 engine in order to avoid delaying beta 4's release, right?
Why would they want to rebuild the engine at all?
Signatures are overrated.

Hoeloe
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:05 pm

We can't rebuild the engine without the source code anyway. I was just saying that if we DID get the source code, it would come with a host of problems and wouldn't help us much anyway.

Teemster2
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Teemster2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm

I was really hoping the dev team could start making new enemies while we wait for smm2 to be released and wind down as to not look like we are competing with them and it was nice to see snalicorn has been added. Will he be immune to fire balls as he was in the game? I know the dev team is short on man power so I'm just grateful for whatever we get. Thanks Enjl.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm
I was really hoping the dev team could start making new enemies while we wait for smm2 to be released and wind down as to not look like we are competing with them and it was nice to see snalicorn has been added. Will he be immune to fire balls as he was in the game? I know the dev team is short on man power so I'm just grateful for whatever we get. Thanks Enjl.
We don't know if beta 4 will be ready by the time Mario Maker is out with the feature lock in place, so it would be a bad idea to assume that will be the case, remove the feature and add more enemies in order to delay beta 4 past the release and initial sales period, as it is possible that will happen naturally anyway.
Signatures are overrated.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Snailicorn, by default, will be immune to both fire and ice balls, as they are intended as a more "hazard" kind of NPC rather than an obstacle to take down with your tools. The Sleepwalking Snailicorn resembles their SMWcentral custom sprite implementation and brings an interesting AI with it which constantly rams its face into the wall like so:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Teemster2
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Teemster2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Electriking wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
We don't know if beta 4 will be ready by the time Mario Maker is out with the feature lock in place, so it would be a bad idea to assume that will be the case, remove the feature and add more enemies in order to delay beta 4 past the release and initial sales period, as it is possible that will happen naturally anyway.
I did not know there was a lock in place. Is this to prevent new enemies from being made? My understanding from previous posts was that the dev team wanted to wait until after smm2 came out before considering release as to not look like we are competing with Nintendo thus why I was hoping with the delay more enemies could be added and Enjl did add snalicorn so I have no idea what this lock is your referring too.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
Enjl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Snailicorn, by default, will be immune to both fire and ice balls, as they are intended as a more "hazard" kind of NPC rather than an obstacle to take down with your tools. The Sleepwalking Snailicorn resembles their SMWcentral custom sprite implementation and brings an interesting AI with it which constantly rams its face into the wall like so:
Spoiler: show
Thanks. That sounds pretty cool. Your hard work and helping to keep the project alive is apreciated.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:12 pm

The feature lock is a thing. You can trust Electriking on that since he's on codehaus where the topic appears from time to time. I just added Snailicorn cause I currently don't have much else I can do, and all existing NPCs are now checked as much as they can be. Beyond that, it only took a few hours to get Snailicorn to a state where it's more finished than some other NPCs that have been claimed for over a year. I don't see myself adding another NPC in the near future.
ImageImageImageImage

vitzie629
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby vitzie629 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:12 pm
The feature lock is a thing. You can trust Electriking on that since he's on codehaus where the topic appears from time to time. I just added Snailicorn cause I currently don't have much else I can do, and all existing NPCs are now checked as much as they can be. Beyond that, it only took a few hours to get Snailicorn to a state where it's more finished than some other NPCs that have been claimed for over a year. I don't see myself adding another NPC in the near future.
Will the feature lock mode be used until beta 4's release date or no?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm

vitzie629 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm
Enjl wrote:
That's the idea, yes.
ImageImageImageImage

Teemster2
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Teemster2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:08 am

Enjl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm
vitzie629 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
That's the idea, yes.
So basically the lock is there to prevent any new npc's from being added until after Beta4 so the focus can be on finishing Beta4 if I understand you right. Thanks for clearing that up.

vitzie629
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby vitzie629 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:08 am
Enjl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm
vitzie629 wrote:

That's the idea, yes.
So basically the lock is there to prevent any new npc's from being added until after Beta4 so the focus can be on finishing Beta4 if I understand you right. Thanks for clearing that up.
You are welcome! After beta 4 releases, the feature lock will not be there anymore and more NPCs will be added in probably beta 5! As of now, the team is focusing on finishing beta 4 with the requirements on the ToDo for Release list to get done.

NyanMC
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: sample text
Current Project: SMBX 2.0 Episode; more revealed later
Chat Username: NyanMC

Postby NyanMC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I have a good suggestion for a later beta (maybe not beta 4 since it's close to completion), it would be nice to have the ability to use more than 1 custom song per section (changing this custom song with events maybe?). Idk if this is even possible or if it's been suggested before, but I had to find many difficult workarounds in my hubworld due to this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in dead memes as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:25 pm

NyanMC wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm
I have a good suggestion for a later beta (maybe not beta 4 since it's close to completion), it would be nice to have the ability to use more than 1 custom song per section (changing this custom song with events maybe?). Idk if this is even possible or if it's been suggested before, but I had to find many difficult workarounds in my hubworld due to this.
You can do this in beta 3, either by replacing music with music.ini or by loading custom music with Audio.MusicOpen()
ImageImageImageImage

1230m 1
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby 1230m 1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 am

Two ideas for future versions.

1) Some messages in this thread say that without breaking compatibility you cannot add triangular blocks from SMW. But why not make "inverted" character sprites for these blocks as controlled effects? In the likeness of Mega-characters from SMBX38A.

2) Make a new SMB1 Bowser. Have which can be turn off attack hammers or fire. And also it would have a few drop frames (given below).

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:09 am

1230m 1 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 am
1) Some messages in this thread say that without breaking compatibility you cannot add triangular blocks from SMW. But why not make "inverted" character sprites for these blocks as controlled effects? In the likeness of Mega-characters from SMBX38A.
Since those responses, Hoeloe has written a player:render function which re-draws the player character, so now the hardest thing is really just the physics involved. If we on the team don't take a look at it for a long time, someone else will have the same tools as us to attempt it for themselves in the next release.
1230m 1 wrote:
2) Make a new SMB1 Bowser. Have which can be turn off attack hammers or fire. And also it would have a few drop frames (given below).
Maybe someday. The team mostly works on NPCs they currently want to work on, so there's a high chance that someone outside of the dev team feels inspired first. If they make one and the code is nice, they can ask us to include it in basegame in the future, crediting them.

Currently our focus is more on polish, but if noone beats me to wall triangles, I might just try them for Beta 5.
ImageImageImageImage

1230m 1
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby 1230m 1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:09 am
1230m 1 wrote:
Since those responses, Hoeloe has written a player:render function which re-draws the player character, so now the hardest thing is really just the physics involved. If we on the team don't take a look at it for a long time, someone else will have the same tools as us to attempt it for themselves in the next release.
1230m 1 wrote:
Maybe someday. The team mostly works on NPCs they currently want to work on, so there's a high chance that someone outside of the dev team feels inspired first. If they make one and the code is nice, they can ask us to include it in basegame in the future, crediting them.

Currently our focus is more on polish, but if noone beats me to wall triangles, I might just try them for Beta 5.
Okay, thanks for the answer.

But I do have one problem: when I go down the tube on Mario Challenge, I'm brought back to the level of "choice" of characters and power-ups.
And if I try to play for one of the new characters, I automatically switch to Mario.
And when I try to change the number of lives or stages, this error is displayed:

Return to “Archives”