Boss Level Contest (Results)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
The Thwomp King
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Boss Level Contest (Results)

Postby The Thwomp King » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:24 pm

The Standard Rules

Violation of these rules will result in disqualification.
  • The judges mustn't know which level you made. You may not reveal any details about the level to the public before the judges are done judging all the levels. This includes showing screenshots of the level prior to this announcement. You may not submit a level that you've posted screenshots of, or videos for that matter. And you can't say which level you made.
  • You may only submit one level. If it's an accident, we'll just drop the extra level but if you submit a second level under another name, both levels will be disqualified.
  • The level has to be made by you and you alone.
  • You must submit the level before the deadline. If you submit after the deadline you will automatically get 2 points off your score after all scores are averaged together for your level.
  • You must inform us what characters can or cannot be used in the level.
  • The level cannot end to other than a Star (SMW or SMB3) and it can't have more than three.
  • The level can't end the game.
  • Don't put the .lvl or the music in the graphics folder.
  • Do not use music that goes beyond 6 minutes. And this refers to just one song, not all the songs together.
  • Levels with unreasonable difficulty will be scored low. Judges are not required to beat levels if they're crazy hard. This is because they often take too much time to complete, they are generally tedious.
  • No Joke or Kaizo (as mentioned with difficulty) levels
  • LUNADLL, LUNA LUA, SMBX 2, PGE, are allowed. No SMBX 1.4 Please include all APIs in the level folder.
  • By submitting a level you agree that it will be in a public episode containing all the submissions.
  • By submitting a level here, you agree that all scores from judges here will be accounted for if you submit this level to the levels sub-forum. The scores will not be accounted for if you updated the level after the results of the contest are posted. If results don't come three weeks after the deadline, then you may post your level publicly on the level sub-forum if you want to.
  • The level you submit must not used in any contests prior to this one. Furthermore the level must not be from a completed episode either as it is already available to the public, and the level must not be revealed to the public in any way, shape, or form.
  • Lastly, please test your level!
Additional Themed Rules
  • A level must be made leading to the boss fight. Mini-bosses are not recommended, but will be allowed.
  • The level leading to the boss fight has to be fitting to the boss. Making a boss level with covered in sprinkles and rainbows with Bowser as the boss would be considered as unfitting. The theme can be flexible, but again must be fitting for the boss you're revolving the level around.
  • The main boss cannot show up in multiple segments of a level. However the boss can have multiple parts consecutively to it, but no more than 3 parts. Be considerate of level length if you're to have a longer boss fight implemented.
  • Both the level and the boss fight have significant impact on your score. So don't slack on one or the other.
How to submit a level
  • Put your level in a ZIP along with the optional custom graphics folder and custom music.
  • Please don't put the files in another folder before archiving because I will have to move them out afterwards and that's more unnecessary work for me.
  • You may include a readme with tips if you want. But if your readme only has credits for graphics or something, please put it in the graphics folder. I only want critical info regarding playing the level next to the levels themselves.
  • Submit the level to me through pm. If you submit it to anyone else or post the submission anywhere else it will be disqualified.
Judging Standards
  • All scores cannot surpass two decimal points. It really shouldn't come to giving a level a rating past that, and you can use one or no decimal points too.
  • Do all reviews in order of Entry 1 to the Final Entry This saves me a lot of time when everything is sent to me organized and done in order, so please do this!
  • Submit all reviews in either one single text or word document, or you can pm me all the reviews at one (IN ORDER). I will not accept zip files with multiple text files for it becomes tedious work for me to copy and paste everything into a final document of all of the reviews.
  • The Backup Judge must only submit reviews of levels made by the judges (in order of entry number still).
  • No additional judges or guest judges. If they didn't ask to be a judge and aren't listed as a one of the five, or a backup judge, then their scores will not count for the final result.
  • No spoiling reviews or scores before they are posted. You can discuss your reviews after the results have been posted.
The Judges
The Thwomp King
Sanct
Linik
PROX
bossedit8

The Backup Judge
dragonfan96

The Contestants Bolded = Submitted
PROX
MECHDRAGON777
dragonfan96
kojimkj
litchh
darkmewd31
Quantix
PixelPest
RhysOwens
YoshiEgg12
Wolfy Werewolf
thehelmetguy1
BlazingZtar755

The Deadline
November 21st

RESULTS (Finally)
Approaching the elephant in the room, I apologize that these results are so late. Furthermore I apologize that half of us judges were unable to complete the reviews themselves as a lot of issues have been going on outside of the community. I hope to avoid this conflict in future contests.
Spoiler: show
8. Phantom Castle by thehelmetguy1 - 0/10

Sanct (??????/10)
yo thwompman, there's nothing in the folder.

7. 9-12 by MECHDRAGON777 - 0.75/10

PROX (1/10)
this level is just horribly done. There's waaay too much happening at once. We have random projectiles going all over the place
and a broken wall jumping mechanic that has caused 90% of my deaths. The boss itself is also broken.

Sanct (0.5/10)
The fact that you can't actually die to the NPCs in the level made me actually finish it.
Granted, when the boss flips the screen vertically I died because there was no way to see it coming, speaking of the boss, that's the only way I found that you could be able to die in the whole thing, because whenever your health runs out it resets to the maximum amount again.
As for the design itself, it's spammy and and cramped. The note blocks in section 2 are horrible and way too precise
Level's broken

6. The Great Castle Escape by dragonfan96 - 2.9/10

PROX (2/10)
There are waay too many climbable chains in this section which can easily mess up the player when trying to make a jump.
There is really no break in the action either, because the player is constantly being bombarded with hazards everywhere he
or she goes. Also the event triggers were placed horribly. Place them in a way that doesn't allow the player to completely miss them.
If you are using axes, I recommend turning "nogravity" on when using them so things like that don't happen.

Sanct (3.8/10)

You forgot to make a boss

Other than that the level is pretty decent, but uh. There's no boss. The chains frustrated me a bit in the first section, but for the rest of the level they were used pretty well
That's really all I have to say since, well, there's no boss.

5. Frozen Sanctuary by darkmewd31 - 3.2/10

PROX (4/10)
The boss was awesome, but the level itself was relatively short. Not to mention it's impossible because the exit doesn't appear.
The last phase's teleporting mechanic was a bit excessive. I would make the patterna a bit more evident because it constantly kept
on teleporting on me without me having any way of knowing.

Sanct (3.2/10)
I've got one word for this level and it's "Inconsistent" every section is different and you couldn't even bother to make the freezing water in section 1 consistent, I know it would've posed some problems but you didn't even make an effort to work around them, instead you completely ignore it.
The whole level is filled to the brim with pointless gimmicks that add nothing to the design, in fact, every gimmick that's introduced (except the fire) is thrown out almost immediately in the next section.
The level has 8 sections by the way. I'm not sure if there's even a checkpoint anywhere. As for the boss itself, it's pretty neat (except for the tornado attack, which is really boring) and kinda creative because of your usage of the ludwig fire and teleporting.
The level is overly long and the boss can't make up for that.

4. Clawgrip's Return by RhysOwens - 3.5/10

PROX (2/10)

The level itself was pretty bland that the boss was pretty repetitive. The giant clawgrip clashes due to its pixel size and when you get to the end
of the section, you can easily get decieved into going into the pipe which is impossible, and then have a bomb generate beneath you. It needs a lot more testing.

Sanct (5/10)
Oh man plot. The short bit leading to the boss is quite fun, it's not very long, but it kinda feels like the perfect length for a boss level, so you did that pretty well.
The boss on the other hand was just 2 ludwigs a short chase and a mother brain that really doesn't pose any challenge. It's decent I guess, if it was your first boss.
Overall, it's okay, the chase scene was pretty fun (even if very shortlived).

3. Kamek Boss by PROX - 4.5/10

Sanct (4.5/10)
You should've made a level. The boss is quite fun, but I wish the 3rd and 4th hit were randomized. I don't have any other major gripes with the boss and it proves to be a pretty good challenge.
Overall. You should've made a level

2. Thunder Factory by BlazingZtar755 - 5/10

PROX (4/10)
The level itself was pretty bland and a bit dragged out. The laser fairy part was a neat idea, but it got out of hand towards the end with the firebars and narrow spots. The boss itself was pretty hard actually. It was mainly just a bunch of generators. There were too many things happening at once in the fight. I recommend toning down the generator amount.

Sanct (6/10)

Quite a fast-paced level, it's kinda all over the place but it always comes down to lasers. It's pretty fun, if not a bit generic. The crushers go into the floor slightly and the conveyor bob-omb is pointless.
The boss is outstandingly avarage, it's just a lakitu that throws sparkies, there's sparkies that spawn from the sky and it's overall nothing special.
Overall. Eh

1. Pridemoor Keep by litchh - 6.9/10

PROX (7/10)
This level really has some creative ideas placed into it. This was clearly inspired by shovel knight. The enemies really worked well
and the execution of the gimmicks were spot on. The boss fight was just an SMB3 Bowser, but it did have some creativity to it. There
were some crazy platforming areas that were a bit frustrating, but overall, it was pretty well done.

Sanct (6.8/10)
This level is quite fun, the pots can be slightly annoying at times and the books don't have much indication to when they disappear which is a bit annoying but all in all it's quite decent. It is way too long to only have 1 checkpoint.
The boss is wierd and glitchy, it's decently fun but not exactly great. The concept itself is wierd and kinda interesting, but it's not executed in the best way.
It's quite fun and the boss is kinda janky.

A big congratulations to litchh for winning this contest! See you all in the weather contest and onwards!
Last edited by The Thwomp King on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

This guy supports any project on smbx, but here are the banners I have:

ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
[/center]

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Re: Boss Level Contest (Deadline November 21st)

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Sure, I will join. I can not wait for this one.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

The Thwomp King
Grinder
Grinder

Postby The Thwomp King » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:04 am

I expected a quicker response from people. XP haha

ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
[/center]

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:08 am

The Thwomp King wrote:I expected a quicker response from people. XP haha
My two hours came from me just finding it right then. I do not hit refresh every second ^_^
ImageImageImage

My hardest level beaten!

Support

•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

dragonfan96
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby dragonfan96 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:18 am

Ill participate in this one and ill even try signing up for back-up judge again too...
I might try something different even too.. a not so "cliched" theme you'd expect a boss to be in...

(Thomp you sure this is ok...with whats going IRL? Just saying with 3 Contest(s) now.. being Structure Haunted and now Boss themed.... Its alot to handle :| Im hoping things are really ok with yah,)
-Community Contest Results-
CC9- Placed 46th 5.36/10 Sands of Time Tier 3
CC11- Placed 51st 5.72/10 Volcanic Panic Tier 5

You can Find Me Here forums.OmegaRealm.com
On the MC server omegarealm.com (play.omegarealm.com)
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8FMZ ... MJe94tH2Yw

Yeah, I've stopped using SMBX now, I've moved on to Either using Lunar Magic (If i have the motivation to continue it)
Usually just playing some Steam games or Overwatch with the Danky Dan's & Co

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:53 am

dragonfan96 wrote:Ill participate in this one and ill even try signing up for back-up judge again too...
I might try something different even too.. a not so "cliched" theme you'd expect a boss to be in...

(Thomp you sure this is ok...with whats going IRL? Just saying with 3 Contest(s) now.. being Structure Haunted and now Boss themed.... Its alot to handle :| Im hoping things are really ok with yah,)
This is TTKC16. He has hosted now 14 successful completed contests every month for 14 months. Also, he only has like 2 or 3 threads up ever at one time. I suspect that Haunted will be judged on Fall break (time for All Hallows Eve) and this is one on Turkey break. Good luck though.
ImageImageImage

My hardest level beaten!

Support

•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

kojimkj
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: give PC pls!
Current Project: Idk
Chat Username: piklojim

Postby kojimkj » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:46 am

Can I join this please ? (Now I've got a lot of time)

I don't have a computer, my old one broke so I can't play SMBX or make sprites.

My GFXs packs :

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Older, not so good packs :

ImageImageImage

ehh

cool gif by snessy the duck

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:51 am

I created so many boss variations, so I don't even know what to do now :roll:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:04 am

litchh wrote:I created so many boss variations, so I don't even know what to do now :roll:
You just gave me a great idea, thanks. (Or on the other mirror side, now I have to choose between a ******* boss and a ****** boss. (I would be disqualified for revealing the information in the astriks.))
ImageImageImage

My hardest level beaten!

Support

•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Cidro
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Cidro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:06 am

A boss level contest? Nice! I think I'll join this contest..
The ghost living the afterlife who makes human music.

Stuff that has gained my attention

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:35 am

Well, I have some extra time on my hands, so count me in!
viewtopic.php?f=69&p=286856#p286855

Generic Quote Collection:
Skant wrote:The egg will fuck you if you don't catch it
rockythechao wrote:f6 is an over-the-counter generic run-of-the-mill store-brand bootleg knockoff f5
some people wrote:The021stYoshiFromThe021stCentury: Who would win, a tophat wearing a tophat, or hoeloe wearing hoeloe?
Hoeloe: yes
glitch4: f6
rockythecomet: that's a trick question
rockythecomet: a top hat wearing a hoeloe
Waffles & Stuff (timocomlita) wrote:No matter what you do, it's impossible to get rid of the impossible.
Petrifying wrote:Piss off with your sex doll SMBX 2.0
Enjl wrote:it puts a twist on classic 4 step level design which i like to call "2 and a half steps backwards design"

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 am

I'll do this.
The Thwomp King wrote:
  • The level leading to the boss fight has to be fitting to the boss. Making a boss level with covered in sprinkles and rainbows with Bowser as the boss would be unconsidered as unfitting. The theme can be flexible, but again must be fitting for the boss you're revolving the level around.
The part I italicized doesn't mean what you think it does; the double negative basically makes it mean "considered fitting". It should be "considered unfitting".

Also, after how busy you've been lately, maybe it would be best if you hosted still but found another judge instead of yourself

The Thwomp King
Grinder
Grinder

Postby The Thwomp King » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 pm

PixelPest wrote:I'll do this.
The Thwomp King wrote:
  • The level leading to the boss fight has to be fitting to the boss. Making a boss level with covered in sprinkles and rainbows with Bowser as the boss would be unconsidered as unfitting. The theme can be flexible, but again must be fitting for the boss you're revolving the level around.
The part I italicized doesn't mean what you think it does; the double negative basically makes it mean "considered fitting". It should be "considered unfitting".

Also, after how busy you've been lately, maybe it would be best if you hosted still but found another judge instead of yourself
For this contest that won't be an issue, I can assure you that.
Yeah that's a small mistake with the double negative. XP haha
I was just gonna put unfitting on there, but forgot the considered so I must've just missed that. Good catch.
dragonfan96 wrote:Ill participate in this one and ill even try signing up for back-up judge again too...

(Thwomp you sure this is ok...with whats going IRL? Just saying with 3 Contest(s) now.. being Structure Haunted and now Boss themed.... Its alot to handle :| Im hoping things are really ok with yah,)
Real life is fine. There's a lot going on, but I'm in a phase where I can try to be more consistent with these contests. The past couple weeks were projects and exams all bunched together, so I just needed the time to prepare for everything. Stress builds up, time is lost and you have to make sacrifices. I'll be able to handle these contests just fine since it's playing and reviewing levels. The biggest limitation on the forums is finishing SMC right now. XP haha

But yeah long story short I'll be fine. I appreciate the concern though. :)

ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
[/center]

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:27 pm

I'll join! :)

ProngoKingdom
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Random levels

Postby ProngoKingdom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:34 pm

...I kinda wanna join this, actually. Does the level have to be a whole level or just a boss fight and that's it?
Avatar by the talented That-Mario-Kid

Since everyone have unrelated Pokemon in their signature, I'll put some in mine too.
ImageImageImage

RhysOwens
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby RhysOwens » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:56 am

Sign me up.
I love boss fights.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:52 am

ProngoKingdom wrote:...I kinda wanna join this, actually. Does the level have to be a whole level or just a boss fight and that's it?
Read the rules. They answer this multiple times

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:49 am

Guess i'll give it a try.

Also, sorry that i've been entering and not submitting lately, but i guess i may not be motivated enough to work on these.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

My Level Thread

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16338

Join My Discord Server below!

https://discord.gg/2pHMZg4

My Projects

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
[/center]

Omnion
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Omnion » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Yeah I'm joining this one as well

Hopefully I'll be able to submit something this time
Last edited by Omnion on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PROX
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PROX » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 pm

So bosses are optional in the boss level contest eh? Good to know lol
I believe and I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

If it makes sense then it must make dollars

Youtube Channel: ProxyHax O.O

My Project (No logo yet): viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18321&start=20

My Graphics Pack:

World Map Pack: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20173

Return to “General”