We need more unique episodes.

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
GalaxyComet
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Beyond
Chat Username: NeroGalaxy

Re: We need more unique episodes.

Postby GalaxyComet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 am

But what about creating an episode for the sole purpose of telling a story other than rescuing princess peach while attempting to maintain what makes a Mario level fun and enjoyable?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:22 am

GalaxyComet wrote:But what about creating an episode for the sole purpose of telling a story other than rescuing princess peach while attempting to maintain what makes a Mario level fun and enjoyable?
People here haven't figured out what makes mario levels enjoyable. Making a game centered arout mixing up the plot isn't gonna change that.
Although it could help in developing an identity in their level design...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

GalaxyComet
Spiny
Spiny

Postby GalaxyComet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 am

Enjl wrote:
GalaxyComet wrote:But what about creating an episode for the sole purpose of telling a story other than rescuing princess peach while attempting to maintain what makes a Mario level fun and enjoyable?
People here haven't figured out what makes mario levels enjoyable. Making a game centered arout mixing up the plot isn't gonna change that.
What do you mean by developing an identity? If I may ask

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

GalaxyComet wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Making levels that the player will be able to tell is made by you. Right now that's kind of impossible to tell cause most people are preoccupied with copying Nintendo's design without thinking about what makes it fun.
ImageImageImageImage

tyu
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Levels and episodes I might never finish.
Chat Username: tyu

Postby tyu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:17 pm

What I get tired of is the copious amount of "boss rush" episodes that are just hub worlds with spriteswapped versions of the original bosses in SMBX.
Spoiler: show
Did you expect there to be anything inside this spoiler?

GalaxyComet
Spiny
Spiny

Postby GalaxyComet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 am

Enjl wrote:
GalaxyComet wrote:
Enjl wrote: People here haven't figured out what makes mario levels enjoyable. Making a game centered arout mixing up the plot isn't gonna change that.
Making levels that the player will be able to tell is made by you. Right now that's kind of impossible to tell cause most people are preoccupied with copying Nintendo's design without thinking about what makes it fun.
Okay now I get what you are saying.

Well due to the fact that I'm barely active on the forums page and hardly have much knowledge on the most popular smbx episodes, I generally try to do my own thing and stick to what I know while experimenting with new ideas when I'm designing my levels, which is what I'm doing with my current project "Super Mario Bros. Beyond" (I don't mean to promote my project, I'm just using it as an example).

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:07 pm

tyu wrote:What I get tired of is the copious amount of "boss rush" episodes that are just hub worlds with spriteswapped versions of the original bosses in SMBX.
These kinds of episodes are known for no effort put into them, which is why I'd be surprised if I ever play a boss rush that breaks the copy-cat cycle. I really hate these boss rushes, because almost all of the time, they're pretty much all identical to each other, and there hasn't been many different ones yet.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 pm

I did some thinking while I was on my way to work recently today! Would an 8-bit Episode be considered unique or not? :?: :?: :?:
One that's not
  • Some random Boss Rush episode
  • Too many "Super Mario Bros. 3" style GFX
  • Relies too much on "The invasion" or "Super Mario Star Expectation"

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:I did some thinking while I was on my way to work recently today! Would an 8-bit Episode be considered unique or not? :?: :?: :?:
Possibly, those things are pretty rare, if not never seen because SMBX's sound effects are 16-bit and they'll clash with the 8-bit atmosphere of the levels. Now that you can change level sounds on a local basis, they should start being more frequent.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:26 pm

I'd be down for seeing an episode with 8-bit graphics/sounds but with more enemies and stuff.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 pm

It'd still be unique, but another episode that's in complete 8-bit is actually Rockin Toads

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Using a different graphics style does nothing if your content still plays the same :V
ImageImageImageImage

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 pm

I find myself powerfully agreeing with the OP on the lack of unique episodes as of late. That's why I haven't been downloading any new ones. All I'm seeing is the usual Mario must save Peach from Bowser or Mario and Luigi has to find these mystical items or something generic like that. I love the Tower of Biased series,Super Talking Time Bros.series,Valterri Island,The Invasion series,Goatmom's Tale,The Restoration and many more. I also like an episode if I can especially make good use of Link and the 2.0 characters which I can in many of the ones I named. I hope to see more interesting episodes once 2.0 is out of the beta phase and becomes complete. There's plans for a Mushroom Kingdom Fusion episode once 2.0 is finished. That's something I totally look forward to.
Spoiler: show

MrPunchia
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby MrPunchia » Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I've seen episodes with SMB1 graphics, but barely any with SMB1's general world structure
What I get tired of is the copious amount of "boss rush" episodes that are just hub worlds with spriteswapped versions of the original bosses in SMBX.
Honestly when I think boss rush, I think of something like the end of the SMW hack 100 Rooms of Enemies, or the recurring Arena in the Kirby games which inspired it, not this lazy hub world and reskinned bosses shtick

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am

Also, another thing I've noticed is the real lack of variety in most episodes' plots and playable characters. The plot is almost always just Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser with stars thrown in for no reason other than to have a plot, with them mostly just being threated as level exits rather than collectibles, and the playable characters are almost always just Mario and Luigi.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am

Snessy the duck wrote:Also, another thing I've noticed is the real lack of variety in most episodes' plots and playable characters. The plot is almost always just Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser with stars thrown in for no reason other than to have a plot, with them mostly just being threated as level exits rather than collectibles, and the playable characters are almost always just Mario and Luigi.
Glad I actually having entertaining playables, and the green stars, though optional, become important later on.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Fri May 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:Also, another thing I've noticed is the real lack of variety in most episodes' plots and playable characters. The plot is almost always just Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser with stars thrown in for no reason other than to have a plot, with them mostly just being threated as level exits rather than collectibles, and the playable characters are almost always just Mario and Luigi.
The plot thing is the same just like Nintendo and therefore the large group of fans continue to make it the same for their custom episodes.
Why mario and luigi always? Probably easy to answer, it's simply because they are allround characters the only difference is that luigi jumps higher than mario.

Peach and Toad are diffeent since the one has the ability to float for a short time and the other can for example double jump.

Link is very rare to see as he is way different than the others in both ways of being used as he can for one use the downsword attack to jump on spikes for example which the others can't.

In the end most people just go with mario and luigi since creating levels based on them is way easier to do than making one that resolves on link for example.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm

How about this idea for a unique episode:
A original theme of a episode that's not the Peach gets kidnapped Theme? :roll:

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 pm

NintendoOtaku93 gets kidnapped by Birdo
Last edited by Mable on Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri May 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Mable wrote:NintendoOtaku93 gets kidnapped by Birdo
Now why would Birdo kidnap me? :P

Return to “General”