How did you get into SMBX?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

How did you get into SMBX?

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 am

Yeah, this is a repost from a very old topic back from 2014 (my first post on this forum, in fact!) that has sadly died, especially when we're now with a whole new generation of SMBX users. Here's how I got into SMBX:

Well, before SMBX, I started my level-editing career in Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 back in 2007 or something, which had a mode dedicated to creating its own missions. It was quite difficult to use, but I amused myself and my brother with it and we learned how to make our own CFS2 missions together. However, two years later, I just so happened to discover a site called GameNinja.com, and discover it had a section dedicated to Mario games! This was where I found Super Mario Flash, which had a level editor, effectively setting the scene for me to start playing lots of random flash Mario games, and through here I discovered supermariobrothers.org when searching for some. I found the SMBX 1.1.2 link at the top and I eagerly clicked it, seeing it had a level editor. Back then, I really enjoyed making my own levels, as my creativity was so vast. However, I couldn't figure out how to fully use the editor until I got SMBX 1.2, but I still enjoyed playing the episodes; The Great Castle Adventure was the first one I ever played. And then in 2012, I joined the SMBX community for the first time, through NSMBX.

SMBX is one of the things that ties us all together, but the question is: how did you guys get into SMBX?
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Re: How did you get into SMBX?

Postby RSupertheGreat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:51 am

#BacktothePast in 2016, I discovered SMBX by watching Vinesauce (Vinny)'s SMBX videos. I found that SMBX has a plenty of cool things that have in the editor/while testing it. When I saw a link to the SMBX forum (I mean, old SMBX forum) at the bottom, I feel like I'm going to that forum but sadly the link leads to Nintendo's Mario home-page.
After a few days that I need to figure out where is the link for SMBX forum, the hint is there is a "X" phrase before ".org". I type it and it's not leading to Nintendo's Mario home-page anymore (I found that it was a brand-new forum link). And then I saw a home page of SMBX, while I saw a thing of those I clicked the "Download Now!" and then it links me to the download link of SMBX 1.3.0.1.

Blah blah blah, I kinda forget or I'm lazy to type how do I get into SMBX. But I think the text below will help me finish it.

The game's startup is kinda interesting TBH, iirc I clicked on the "Level editor" and then I saw a black screen (no, I mean the level tab). I started making a level, unfortunately I found out that it was confusing at first. After being a noob, I found a few tutorials that can help me to do it. And my levels suck at first.
I've joined this forum since (take a look on my joined date), and then I make a new topic introducement but I didn't realize there's a introducement topic that already exist (don't call me that I'm blind). And then, I quit the forum a few months. Blah blah blah, I'm going to clean myself up. That's how I get into SMBX.

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

TDK
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby TDK » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:43 am

I used to play Mario fangames in 2010 and during my search I found SMB.org, it had lots of Mario fangames (and Sonic fangames as well). One of the featured games was SMBX, it sounded interesting so I downloaded. The version I downloaded had the intro with SMG music.

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Postby Uzendayo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm

I used to frequent SMB.org and loved me some Super Mario Flash. This was the next logical step.
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:07 am

I wanted to play some super Mario level creator back in the day I guess and ran into SMBX when it was still 1.3 and Knux's form was alive. SMBX was on SMB.org which where I got some neat mp3s from the site on my Kindle (that's broken as of recent years.)

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 am

Basically, i was into the idea of creating your own mario levels, so i remember what happened, first i was going to try to get into the Game Maker: Super Mario Bros 3 level maker thing, but i couldn't exactly figure out how it worked, but then i eventually discovered Super Mario Flash, so i started to make levels on there for a bit, which lead to me eventually discovering Mario builder, and i had fun with that for awhile, which then i ended up finding SMB Level Master, followed by SMB Game Master, which
after that, at some point i discovered SMBX, and that's how i got into it. I went under a different username at the time, but i've been around the community since
Knux's Forum.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:10 am

MosaicMario wrote:Basically, i was into the idea of creating your own mario levels, so i remember what happened, first i was going to try to get into the Game Maker: Super Mario Bros 3 level maker thing, but i couldn't exactly figure out how it worked, but then i eventually discovered Super Mario Flash, so i started to make levels on there for a bit, which lead to me eventually discovering Mario builder, and i had fun with that for awhile, which then i ended up finding SMB Level Master, followed by SMB Game Master, which
after that, at some point i discovered SMBX, and that's how i got into it. I went under a different username at the time, but i've been around the community since
Knux's Forum.
Mario Builder! I remember that game, it was fun but eh. Also I guess we both been around Knux's community ever since, :D

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:01 am

In 2009, Youtube channel user smashmaster101 (I think that's the name) with his smbx videos made me get into SMBX, now he doesn't exist anymore.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 am

Easy! Saw a simple YouTube video.

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

The fact that it's Super Mario Maker for the PC.
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Remember these magic words:

"Mario Level Editor"

Speak them at the right place and you'll be whisked to this faraway land.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:25 pm

It was kinda like spontaneous combustion, just...WOOSH. SMBX

Legend-tony980
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. X: Alternate Kingdom

Postby Legend-tony980 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:12 pm

I was searching for a Mario editor ever since. The ones I had were... not the one I was looking for. I was into SMBX ever since I saw its first trailer in June 24-25 2009. It was really fun playing it. I was so glad the co-op similar to New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a thing in SMBX as well (that was after seeing the E3 2009 trailer)! But then it got disappointing because I thought there were more features. Which was surprising. There were really less things.

If you want to hear more:
As days gone by, more and more versions came along and Yoshi was there. It was 1.0.2 Beta. And yeah, that was the shit. Skipping 1.1, we had 1.1.1 that came along in August 2009 with more things. More Yoshis, Luigi became more unique than Mario and that was the first version with Events & Layers and with Zelda-things. Things started to get interesting. 1.1.2 did me a great favor. The Spin Jump was added and bugs were fixed. Before Christmas, 1.2 was under development, the 1.2.0 Betas were released during the Winter and more features were added with slopes, vines and more water stuff. The more I got really into SMBX. I had hopes that swimming (that came in Beta 4), sliding (Beta 3), climbing stuff (Beta 2), moving layers (also Beta 4) and moving side-scrolling level (I thought that came in Beta 4 but that came in the full version) will be added. And holy crap, the full version of Beta 1.2 exceeded my expectations!

You know, at the time before Beta 4, I joined the first SMBX forums in late February 2010, around 23 or 27. I wasn't the best user at the time (most users hated me though and Redigit certainly did not like me at all). Funny story, I was sure that Beta 4 will come out between March and April. And I was right! It came out in March 25th 2010. LOL Then, 1.2.1 came along in May, with Time Clocks, Pow Blocks and all. Not much features were there. Redigit asked me if I was disappointed. I was like "nah". I was good with it but I actually wasn't satisfied. Even for me, we SMBX had something in common: We were insatiable. But at the time of 1.2.2 in the summer of 2010... When Princess Peach and then Toad came along for the first time... I was so glad. Then 1.3 was already under development but was halted through the whole summer, and I was already banned from the whole community and the chatroom. Most people had Beta59, which had playable Link but I couldn't have that. But a dear friend of mine lent it to me. I was finally about to come back in CaptainTrek's forum, the second official SMBX community. My first days of the second comeback didn't plan out. Then 1.3 was released, though not the way I thought it would turn out. But that was the best version we had so far until now (before 1.3.0.1). And that was before I made my own Super Mario Bros. 3-Styled Graphics. And I was the first user to have made a level with thunderstorm. ;) In 2011, after Redigit's message which needless to say that SMBX is officially done, NSMBX was gonna be a thing and I was the beta tester until its cancellation in 2012. I cancelled SMBX: Sea Side Adventure as a SMBX project but planned to started it as a flash animation (someday) due to 1.3's limits. But then a friend of mine start SMBX: Alternate Kingdom which we hoped it would be better, with a more original storyline and all. It actually was the best thing we worked on. We were working on it together, until he left everything to me as of now since 2013. A friend of us, Yagoshi helped us become better level designers. I will never forget how much he helped us. Then I lost everything I ever had in early 2014, then I restarted things anew in Summer 2015, discontinued again in between 2015-2016, but then again reworked on my projects again in Summer 2016 and discontinued again. The project's still on though. As of now, I am hoping that with SMBX 2.0, I can finally make things the way I want. :D
Yeah good times... Welp not so much for me back in the day. But not as good as this one we have right now though. :)
Here is the link to my Upgraded Super Mario Bros. 3-Styled Graphic Pack Download

Also, go check out my DeviantArt account where most of my image submissions are found.

I'm currently working on Link's sprites tho:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 pm

I was playing Mario online games until I went to the supermariobrothers.org and I saw SMBX 1.1.1 and downloaded it. I played it for almost 1 year until I saw SMBX 1.3 at YouTube, The Invasion 2 gameplay. (I don't know who posted the video lol). And I see the download link at the bottom so I downloaded it.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:58 am

Personally, I found Super Mario Flash about ten or so years ago and I always played it every day. By the time eight years ago came to the corner, I found Super Mario 63 and always talked on the phone with a classmate I had a crush on during that time. One day in the beginning of 2010, I found SMBX version 1.2 and played it to my heart's content. I was quite bad at first (took about three days to learn the controls). I used Mario Flash to make levels for my grandmother, so my first though was to make a game for her. I never used NPCs though. I later created my account in 2012 or 2013 about a month or two after I got my Wii U for Christmas on it's release.(I was in ninth grade at the time).Prior to this, I downloaded every episode on the forums. Checking every day for new stuff. I eventually beat every episode on the Knux forums with Mario Classic being the one episode that was the hardest for me since I did not actually get good at the engine until after I joined. When I joined back then, I always hung around FanofSMBX when I was focused on post count so much in the past. (Getting 2000+ posts in less than a month).When bossedit8 passed me, and got me into Touhou, through his avatar and later asking through PMs and IRC if he could point me in the right way. After playing that for a month, I asked for one of his Touhou levels (Fujiwara No Mokou's forms)which was the first time I played something I could not beat. Took me a long time. I used that to better my self all of this time. I later asked what he uses to record with after finding out he had a channel, then used it to record my CC6 level upon it's release because no one figured it out. (My first video). I practiced for a bout a year or two. By the time I got to beat Flandre Scarlet's forms, I thought I finally was considered good or professional. When I latter had a Kiazo competition with Crusher169, it was when I made a level using the glitches bossedit8 taught that later became one of the hardest SMBX levels in history around the time of CC9 did I consider myself in the top 2 of SMBX players. When I learned of Zyglrox a year later, I used to doubt that rating. As a result, I arrived to make a level not even he could beat to proof myself to the entire community that I am not worthless. Instead, that backfired and everyone hates me, and every time I tried something new, people compounded hatred upon me. It has gotten more and more annoying that even when I try to improve on my past mistakes, people belittle me fore it. This should be a good summary of my SMBX history, or at least the key points of it. I did leave out some things like not learning how to even extend the boundaries of a section til a year after I got SMBX, and layers/events a year after that. I do have found memories of my now recently deseced cousin through SMBX, but that is one reason I will let my history make me better and stronger, not weaker like 90% of the people want to happen to me.

ImageImageImage

Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: squid kid
Current Project: waiting on nintendo switch
Chat Username: Koopastea #8422

Postby Rhosty » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 am

Played a couple Mario fangames -- wanted Super Mario Maker but didn't have a WiiU -- watched boosedit8's YouTube videos -- and then found SMBX.

Suckerman7 GM
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: A Mario Fan
Current Project: Super Mario & the Star Prisms (WIP), also making levels and writing lores.
Chat Username: Suckerman7 GM

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Well, if you're asking, I started SMBX in 2012, when I was 16, I think. Before that, I messed up with other level editor games like Mario Builder, SMB Game Master etc. When I started, I was like, OMG! This game is 1000 times better than anything else! I made crappy vanilla levels in the beginning and soon enough, I started to make custom levels with custom music. (Go figure! XD)

Too bad, all my work wasn't worthy enough for this forums! XD

(BTW, I'm back from the university and ready to be active as usual! Hopefully I'll do some serious work in this forums and sorry for people who I failed to do my job in their projects as well. But promises, I'll be more responsible now!)

Peace.

- Suckerman7 GM (The SMBX Player finally rose from the ashes after months! XD)

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Legend-tony980 wrote:I cancelled SMBX: Sea Side Adventure as a SMBX project but planned to started it as a flash animation (someday) due to 1.3's limits.
I remember seeing that one! Wasn't that the one which was going to be the largest project ever, with 20 worlds and everything styled to SMB3? Good times...
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
Legend-tony980 wrote:I cancelled SMBX: Sea Side Adventure as a SMBX project but planned to started it as a flash animation (someday) due to 1.3's limits.
I remember seeing that one! Wasn't that the one which was going to be the largest project ever, with 20 worlds and everything styled to SMB3? Good times...
I remember it having 500 levels (with a world map limmit of 400) and was the episode I looked forward to playing the most (besides wario and pandora's box) before I made my account. These two episodes had me checking the forums every day.

ImageImageImage

Legend-tony980
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. X: Alternate Kingdom

Postby Legend-tony980 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
HeroLinik wrote:
I remember it having 500 levels (with a world map limmit of 400) and was the episode I looked forward to playing the most (besides wario and pandora's box) before I made my account. These two episodes had me checking the forums every day.
Ah yeah... I'm sorry about that. Yes, it was supposed to be a really large episode, with an original story about Mario and co. to save the Kingdom of Sea Side and its king who looks just like Mario from Bowser, Wart, the Koopa Troop and the 8-bits. It was in contrasts to others who always had the same plot back in the old days: "Bowser takes over the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario must save Princess Peach" and such. But I couldn't meet up to anyone's expectations due to 1.3's limits... and my lack of originality back then. I've made unfortunate regrettable mistakes back then as well and I ultimately cancelled the SMBX project. It was the right thing to do. :( But on the other hand, I will make sure Alternate Kingdom will be much better than what I worked on previously. Though I haven't been able to complete it in time because... welp, you know why. :roll: With SMBX 2.0 though, there's hope. :)

You know, I forgot to point out the one thing that led me to making Sea Side Adventure in late 2010 was due to my fascination to Sea Side, World 3 from Super Mario Bros. 3. I loved Water-type levels. And I was obsessed to design water levels in SMBX. But the lack of swimming ability and lack of water tiles I needed and wanted never made my day. But SMBX 1.2.0 Beta 4 gave me hope. But, I couldn't always have water levels though.
Here is the link to my Upgraded Super Mario Bros. 3-Styled Graphic Pack Download

Also, go check out my DeviantArt account where most of my image submissions are found.

I'm currently working on Link's sprites tho:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”