Can remakes be considered "custom"?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Re: Can remakes be considered "custom"?

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:13 am

RudeGuy07 wrote:
DarkWolf658 wrote: Isn't that like saying why should Mario Kart Wii custom tracks include courses ported form other games? Different game engines might play better than the original which might make people want to do a remake.
those have some edits. most remakes in smbx are literally carbon copies, like the one in the video enjl posted.
Yeah, the remade courses in the Mario Kart games (Especially in 7 and 8) add a lot of unique ideas to the level to make it feel fresh and nostalgic at the same time, while most fan-made "Remakes" of Mario levels are just carbon copies with new graphics.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:09 am

Depends on how it's done. A lot of the time, designers just copy the level tile-for-tile and call it at that. However, as has been stated before, that's just a carbon copy, even if minor changes are made because the general structure of the level is still there. A remake should really go out of its way to change something drastically or add new features that couldn't be done in the original level and/or maybe expand on them, yet keep the original ideas intact. For example, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver is a remake of Gold and Silver, and while it plays like the originals, it adds a myriad of new features such as gym leader rematches and the Battle Frontier, while expanding on others like the Suicune sideplot. Also, my project is a remake of one of the greatest SMBX episodes of all time made in 2009, but that doesn't mean I'm just copying all the levels - they're getting drastic changes to account for the modern SMBX feel, such as custom graphics, swimmable water and moving layers.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 pm

I mean I'd call something like SMB1X (if anyone even remembers what that is ha) custom, even though it's a remake of SMB1. I'd also call a 2D demake of a 3D game (Mario 64, for example) custom. Otherwise no it's not custom, though that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:17 pm

SMB1X though really throws a spin on the levels, as I mentioned earlier about what helps to avoid a carbon-copy remake, both in terms of level design and graphics...so I'd agree that it's a custom remake per se

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 pm

The only practical purpose for the word "custom" here is custom graphics or custom NPCs, where there are clearly defined "normal" graphics and "normal" NPCs (i.e. the ones included with SMBX).

People have been calling their levels "custom levels" for as long as I've been here and, frankly, I don't get it! Delineating your level as "custom" not only serves no practical purpose but also purports that there's such a thing as "non-custom levels", which there is not.

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 am

Enjl wrote:Thonk about it.
Having a level be customized just means it has been altered to better fit to someone, usually by adding some extra to the original. It does not have to be original work by the level designer. If you make a remake or adaptation, and aim it for those who like the source, then that is still custom work.

Also on graphics anything that does not come from the original engine is custom.

Edit: If you copy/paste a level though then that is just a ready made package. You do need some modifications to make it custom.

tyu
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Levels and episodes I might never finish.
Chat Username: tyu

Postby tyu » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 pm

If someone changed it up to the point where it's fresh and new, yes. If not, then it should be called a port, not a remake.
Spoiler: show
Did you expect there to be anything inside this spoiler?

ParmaJon
Rex
Rex
Current Project: that one thing

Postby ParmaJon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Isn't the word porting?
Literally half my posts are shitposts
I do the youtubes

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:18 am

ParmaJon wrote:Isn't the word porting?
Not always. Just taking the entire Super Mario Bros. game and putting it into SMBX (like a few users have done) isn't a port, because Mario doesn't have the same physics, thus ruining the immersion and losing what it's getting at.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Taking the entire original SMB and putting it into SMBX is definitely a port. Modifying it to have additional content could also be considered a port (see: the Super Mario Advance series).

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Shadow Yoshi wrote:Taking the entire original SMB and putting it into SMBX is definitely a port. Modifying it to have additional content could also be considered a port (see: the Super Mario Advance series).
Although, a port usually attempts to maintain the same physics as the original content, to which SMBX's and the original SMB's differ greatly. I see that this argument has been brought up before already, but it could be added up that the differentials in physics could affect gameplay, especially with some of the specific jumps and other tricks you can pull off in SMB that wouldn't be possible with SMBX. The same can be said about SMB2 and SMW, and SMB3 to a lesser extent.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 pm

You're absolutely right about the physics being a significant gameplay change. The same argument could be made about how getting hit as Fire Mario returns you to Super Mario instead of just Mario, which is a significant gameplay change that was done somewhere along the line in the porting process from NES to SNES to GBA - still porting though.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:21 am

Shadow Yoshi wrote:People have been calling their levels "custom levels" for as long as I've been here and, frankly, I don't get it! Delineating your level as "custom" not only serves no practical purpose but also purports that there's such a thing as "non-custom levels", which there is not.
I think what people mean with "non-custom levels" are levels from The Princess Cliché and TI2 (And TI1 to a lesser extent), since they come with SMBX, so I guess most people think as them as non-custom like how vanilla GFX aren't considered custom.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

MarioboyFan602
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Super Mario Bros Remake
Chat Username: MarioboyFan602

Postby MarioboyFan602 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Remakes are like 50/50, You can add New Items and levels in a Remake, which kinda allows them to be considered Custom, but at the same time, your basically ripping off a existing game and adding things to it, which makes it non custom, its a 50/50, depends on which way you look
RudeGuy07 wrote:i can just play the original game on an emulator.
^^^ Emulators and ROMS are illigal bro, just pointing it out for u. ^^^
-----Current Projects-----
Spoiler: show
I Try my Best and be as Nice as Possible to Anyone :D

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 pm

MarioboyFan602 wrote: ^^^ Emulators and ROMS are illigal bro, just pointing it out for u. ^^^
Emulators are not illegal.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!
Current Project: something idk
Chat Username: *practical

Postby Rhosty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm

MarioboyFan602 wrote: ^^^ Emulators and ROMS are illigal bro, just pointing it out for u. ^^^
I'm like 100% sure emulators aren't illegal, or else we would've found out about them being so. Not that sure about ROMs though.

arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Postby arcade999 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Actually, it is illegal to emulate roms, but I don't think any cop would really give a shit and arrest you, so retrogamers are safe.
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby HenryRichard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 am

arcade999 wrote:Actually, it is illegal to emulate roms, but I don't think any cop would really give a shit and arrest you, so retrogamers are safe.
No, it's completely legal to emulate legally obtained ROMs - that's what Nintendo's virtual console is! You can also emulate your own dumped cartridges/discs, assuming you actually own them. It's when you're downloading ROMs off the internet that it's illegal.

Jesus is my savior.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:18 am

HenryRichard wrote:
arcade999 wrote:Actually, it is illegal to emulate roms, but I don't think any cop would really give a shit and arrest you, so retrogamers are safe.
No, it's completely legal to emulate legally obtained ROMs - that's what Nintendo's virtual console is! You can also emulate your own dumped cartridges/discs, assuming you actually own them. It's when you're downloading ROMs off the internet that it's illegal.
SMW Central wrote:It is illegal to download commercial ROMS
So if a ROM you download is not commercial, would it still be illegal?
Signatures are overrated.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby HenryRichard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 am

Well if it wasn't made in order to make money I guess? Stuff like Star Fox 2 is probably fine but I don't know since I'm not a legal expert.

Jesus is my savior.

Return to “General”